Next-generation should be download-only.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

As a PC gamer, I have embraced the digital distribution model, despite some initial skepticism. I don't buy PC games in a box anymore.

Why won't Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo embrace such a model, then? The vast majority of consoles are connected to the Internet. Most people have DSL or cable. For publishers, it would decrease distribution costs and eliminate the used-game market altogether. For consumers, they won't have to wait on UPS or drive to the store anymore - they can pre-load a game and play it the moment it is released. Furthermore, games could be more affordable as result - imagine new titles being $40 or less. Also, consoles can be made smaller, since they won't have to include any disk drives.

What a wonderful future this might be.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Pretty sure they wouldn't drop the prices anyway
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
no thats stupid. most sales are still physical copies of games.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_Capitalist

Pretty sure they wouldn't drop the prices anywayMonsieurX

Then fewer people will buy them. That is the way the market works.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61482 Posts

I don't it for the consoles for a couple of reasons:

1. Bandwidth caps (80gb a month)
  2. Lack of competition for each console - prices on marketplaces typically stay quite high, even with competition from stores
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

I disagree.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_Capitalist

no thats stupid. most sales are still physical copies of games.mems_1224

On consoles, sure.

But on the PC, the shfit has been very dramatic - I can't remember the last time I bought a PC game in a box.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

dd has been around for years so no i can't imagine new releases being $40 or less. :lol:

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_Capitalist

I don't it for the consoles for a couple of reasons:

1. Bandwidth caps (80gb a month)
  2. Lack of competition for each console - prices on marketplaces typically stay quite high, even with competition from stores

lundy86_4

Yes, there's a problem there, since PC gamers have access to many different distribution channels. But consumers have a choice to buy or not to buy.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]no thats stupid. most sales are still physical copies of games.The_Capitalist

On consoles, sure.

But on the PC, the shfit has been very dramatic - I can't remember the last time I bought a PC game in a box.

and consoles outsell pc games. most normal people aren't gonna want to have to download games or want their kids to be able to download games. not to mention all the people that dont have internet or their consoles connected to the internet
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

No. Maybe the generation AFTER the next. And even then I doubt disks will be dropped entirely anyway.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61482 Posts

Yes, there's a problem there, since PC gamers have access to many different distribution channels. But consumers have a choice to buy or not to buy.

The_Capitalist

True. Consumers are typically dumb though. A lack of being able to purchse from other stores, simply means people will buy from the marketplace.

Consumers purchase based on the visceral, it's largely why so much effort is put into things like movie covers/book covers/magazine covers/etc.

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts
Not everyone has internet or wifi diot!! people need to think about others. The PSP go failed miserably.
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

They wouldn't even drop the prices. They want to make as much money as possible, plus that would kill the used game market. I doubt they would make it download only because tax money would be lost to.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#15 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Yeah, no.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 The_Capitalist

Not everyone has internet or wifi diot!! people need to think about others. The PSP go failed miserably.Kaszilla

You obviously have the Internet right now, do you?

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Not everyone has internet or wifi diot!! people need to think about others. The PSP go failed miserably.Kaszilla

Yeah, and you're an idiot yourself if you think PSPGo's failure was because it was download only.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#18 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts
Please NO!
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'd have no confidence in knowing I actually own the game if it was download only.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Not going to happen.

Cheese-Muffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Cheese-Muffins
Member since 2008 • 569 Posts
Terrible idea. The world does not have the Internet infrastructure yet to support such a model.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 The_Capitalist

I'd have no confidence in knowing I actually own the game if it was download only.

Pikminmaniac

You never owned anything, not even when you had a disk in your hands. That disk was a license for you to play the game, not own it.

harshv82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 harshv82
Member since 2008 • 1120 Posts
Publishers should sell digital copies at much lower rate $40 or less and $80-100 for physical copies (like collector editions).
Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

The_Capitalist

You never owned anything, not even when you had a disk in your hands. That disk was a license for you to play the game, not own it.

To the best of my knowledge, this is a matter for the courts to decide and the legal system has been rather indecisive on the whole matter.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

I'm trying to see how. DD only would benifit me in any way. Time wise I could go back and forth to my gamespot 20-50 times in the time it takes to DL any major title.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

The_Capitalist

but as long as I own the disc, I have the game to play. With something like PSN +, if you got a free game, but your subscription runs out, you no longer have access to that game. Seeing the direction gaming is going in, I see more of these dirty tactics being used

laus_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 laus_basic
Member since 2002 • 8300 Posts

bandwidth caps says no thanks!

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 The_Capitalist

[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

Pikminmaniac

but as long as I own the disc, I have the game to play. With something like PSN +, if you got a free game, but your subscription runs out, you no longer have access to that game. Seeing the direction gaming is going in, I see more of these dirty tactics being used

You know, it's going to be forced upon you eventually. Maybe not next generation. But I am certain the generation after next will be DD-only, with collector's editions the only thing you can buy physically. And even then, there will be no disk included - just a redemption code.

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

DD only next gen would be a really bad idea. Encouraging DD throughout the gen so that the gen after can potentially rely on DD would be really smart. The necessary internet infrastructure for global DD won't be ready until like 2020 anyway.

Those who already have adequate internet really should embrace DD. It IS the future. You'll always have the option to buy a hardcopy but in another decade gaming will be similar to how music is now. The vast majority of sales will be digital.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

The_Capitalist

nah i own the games i have.

Idontremember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Idontremember
Member since 2003 • 965 Posts

If people can download DLC and not care about having a physical copy of that DLC, I don't see why they woudn't be able to simply download the entire game instead too. Once you start not having to play around with finding the disk to play your games and not having a pile of boxes is a great plus. And it's not like they weren't trying to kill the used market next-gen so the only true advantage of retail boxes will soon be gone.

Haven't plugged my 360 in the wall for a while... Can anyone tell me if downloadables games are available the same day as the retail versions?

The problem about the price will persist.
Even on PC download services, some games have started being plagued by that 59,99$ price tag.
but I'm sure if console users could get a taste of what the specials sales with games for 5$ are, I would help the transition a LOT.
If i'm not mistaken, crappy bandwith and low download limit are only a north american problem as Europeans I see laugh at our internet here in Canada.
But for those with non overly-crappy internet, Download is a huge plus.

Also, if like on steam, you could back-up all your games were ever you want. The argument about the internet usage becomes less of an issue.
I haven't downloaded a game a second time in years. And sometimes, I give the backup files to some of my friens so they don't have to download too.

WllDan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 WllDan7
Member since 2004 • 2581 Posts

As a PC gamer, I have embraced the digital distribution model, despite some initial skepticism. I don't buy PC games in a box anymore.

Why won't Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo embrace such a model, then? The vast majority of consoles are connected to the Internet. Most people have DSL or cable. For publishers, it would decrease distribution costs and eliminate the used-game market altogether. For consumers, they won't have to wait on UPS or drive to the store anymore - they can pre-load a game and play it the moment it is released. Furthermore, games could be more affordable as result - imagine new titles being $40 or less. Also, consoles can be made smaller, since they won't have to include any disk drives.

What a wonderful future this might be.

The_Capitalist
Everyone still does not have the internet and people still have broadband limits. And since the game files would be in the gb's it would just not be smart. The only reason it works now is because the file sizes for most dlc is not that big. I remember trying to download dc universe on psn. That half a day to download for me. And that was a 16gb game. If the files get bigger in the next gen games could on average maybe 20gb. I am not waiting all day and wasting my broadband on just one game when going to the store or ordering it online from amazon is easier. And the prices stay high for games on psn and xbl even when it is 6 months later and the game is now half its price. Maybe in 10 years this will be feasible but not in the next few years.
Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Kaszilla

[QUOTE="Kaszilla"]Not everyone has internet or wifi diot!! people need to think about others. The PSP go failed miserably.The_Capitalist

Actually not at the moment, I'm using my cell phone right now.
Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Another48hours
Member since 2012 • 1970 Posts
[QUOTE="Kaszilla"]Not everyone has internet or wifi diot!! people need to think about others. The PSP go failed miserably.

The PSP Go failed due to lack of mareketing and Sony thinking anything with their name on it would sell. Which is stupid.
eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts
hell no, i actually like to have the psychical copy of what i just paid for. Especially if it was 60 bucks
Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kaszilla
[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="Kaszilla"]Not everyone has internet or wifi diot!! people need to think about others. The PSP go failed miserably.

The PSP Go failed due to lack of mareketing and Sony thinking anything with their name on it would sell. Which is stupid.

And because of the limited game selection.
dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts
Yes of course since everybody in the world has money to pay a decent bandwith...... Physical software is still more accesible for everyone.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
Next-next generation sure, but currently the infrastructure isn't ready.
TheLordHimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#39 TheLordHimself
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

Sorry, but I'd rather not spend several hours downloading a 10GB game.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]no thats stupid. most sales are still physical copies of games.The_Capitalist

On consoles, sure.

But then the point is useless. If consoles sell more boxes why should they adopt download only suddenly. It'll happen sooner or later but next gen is too close

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#41 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

The Only way I would support Digital Distribution is if it is handled this way.

- "Inversion's Matthew Karch said he believes the $60 game can become $30, if digital distribution is used. He cited his belief that simply getting a game to retail incurs $30 in "waste." Instead, Karch suggests that a game's experience be broken in two components: multiplayer and single-player and distributed digitally for $15 each or bundled together for $30."

If all I had to pay for my SP campaign is $15-20, I would be pleased and would buy more games as a result. I don't buy a lot of games these days because they are aimed more for the MP crowd, so splitting the game into parts would be amazing.

DD is coming, we just have to be smart and not settle for marginally cheaper games.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
No it shouldn't. What an absurd thing, even PC games get physical releases.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

[QUOTE="Kaszilla"]Not everyone has internet or wifi diot!! people need to think about others. The PSP go failed miserably.Kaszilla

Actually not at the moment, I'm using my cell phone right now.

You are still on the internet, you can tether your phone, especially if you have an old unlimited plan from like say ATT. Yes they are thorttling people, but there are ways around it, fairly simple really all you do is switch the access point
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I like digital distribution. I hated it before using Steam, and now I like it. But I like my physical game collection as well. I think it's stupid to just go for one thing entirely when you can have both and choose between them.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Not download-only but I would be happy if I can purchase every game digitally.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

what an awful idea

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

It won't work well. Console gamers are too illiterate considering 90%+ of them are somewhere in grade school. You simply can't use the success of digital distribution on PC/Mac as an implication of the same method for console.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Well it isn't ready as of now, it can be used next-generation and will surpass physical sales by a lot. Most mainstream gamers and casual gamers don't give a crap about "the new game smell" or having a collection of games to show. Most of them just want to play a game and that is all.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

A download only scenario gives publishers the power to create a rental only type of scenario. It also encourages developers to release incomplete, perhaps episodic content. Owning a physical copy of something is power.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

Well it isn't ready as of now, it can be used next-generation and will surpass physical sales by a lot. Most mainstream gamers and casual gamers don't give a crap about "the new game smell" or having a collection of games to show. Most of them just want to play a game and that is all.ShadowDeathX

i don't really see a correlation between "casual" gamers and caring about collecting or "the new game smell", but ok...