Nextgen cancelled...on consoles ?

• 143 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

This new gen, at least regarding multiplats, will be about running 7th-gen level quality games at hd on consoles. There wasn't actually a generation leap on them. It was just a hardware update. Nothing changes for us, PC Gamers. If any game slightly touches next-gen, it's immediately a sub-hd game on consoles.

I had a bit of hope of having a true next gen experience this gen, but after Watchdogs fiasco, I realized that there will be really a few examples of that.

No matter how hard consolites hype their exclusives, in reality, those titles are just 7th-gen quality at 1080p, what we PC gamers have been having for years.

The Order 1886 is a decent looking game as any third person shooter would be if released in 2014.And it's not even at full hd.

Second Son has the same level of visual quality that we had on PC in Sleeping Dog.

In the latest UFC installment, animations still look unhuman as hell, and fighters look like made of plastic or something.

Killzone doesn't look better than Crysis 3, a 7th gen game.

Let's be honest, no incoming console exclusive or multiplat looks trully next gen, except for Witcher 3, but this is because it's mainly a PC franchise, and console versions won't look even close to what will see on PC.

The only games that look next gen are PC exclusives such as Elite: Dangerous, Star Citizen, The Forest, etc.

The only hope for next gen that I have is if some indies decide to push PC hardware capabilities to max. Next gen won't happen on cosoles. It's just a 7th gen 2.0

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Agreed . Next gen consoles' specs are disappointing and it is not good for anyone since most of the time devs' main target is lowest common denominator . Luckily we'll have games like (as you said) Witcher 3 , Cyberpunk 2077 etc that will be mainly targeted for latest PC hardware (along with exclusives like Star Citizen , Unreal Tournament etc) .

MoneySha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MoneySha
Member since 2013 • 209 Posts

I respect your sentiment; however, this doesn't matter to those of us, who buy consoles just to play the games themselves... And that's really what it's all about for a person like "me"! I love video games, but, I don't love them enough to continuously shell out money like that (for CPUs, motherboards, GPUs, ect.) I just want to buy a piece of hardware (once) and be able to play the games I want to play for the story and gameplay; this whole "resolution gate" nonsense is a bunch of rubbish, and it makes absolutely no sense for consoles...

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Whats even sadder is when they finally reach them true next gen graphics they'l still have shitty gameplay and hipsters will still whine about how this and that ruins their immersion.

Oh well... I have to study so.... Goodluck to you guys and your pseudo computers limited to gaming.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I think Batman Arkham Knight (Parts of it) look a little next-gen.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Can you hear the console trolls coming?

Console exclusives, you can't play them on PC (just thought I'd add this before the thread fills up with similar comments) I think I'll survive without being able to play 1 or 2 worthy games a year that I can't get on PC.

Oh, GTA V and RDR, they are on the new consoles, right?

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

If you were making a console, would you really think anyone would buy it at some $800+ just to get to PC level? You have to be realistic and both Sony and MS lost quite a bit of money there for quite a while on the 360 and PS3 and that doesn't really include the billions that Sony invested along with Toshiba and IBM to create the Cell architecture and MS lost quite a few billion on their poor cooling designs. They learned something and decided to ease it up a little. $500 is really pushing it for mass consumers to adopt a system to play video games on, especially for parents buying for their kid.

I'm from the Atari days and really not much has changed in this regard. If you go back historically and look at what computers were capable of vs what consoles were capable of, the gap was much, much wider when it came to specs. Compare Amiga games to NES. It took another console generation to put out the level of graphics but concessions were always made such as ultra compression techniques, frame skipping, resolution and cutting pixels. It's expected for consoles to be affordable systems despite us adults with gaming hobbies willing to spend far more.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

Trying to fit gaming into a number's game means you're missing the point of games...FUN. Games are played for the experience....not to sit and pick at graphics and frame rate. You play games for all the wrong reasons dude.....

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Because judging a whole gen based off the first half year is a logical and reasonable thing to do.

Look at last gen, if we wrote that off based on the first few months then it would have looked dumb considering the likes of TLOU and GTA V came out much later showing off fantastic visuals

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@LJS9502_basic said:

Trying to fit gaming into a number's game means you're missing the point of games...FUN. Games are played for the experience....not to sit and pick at graphics and frame rate. You play games for all the wrong reasons dude.....

You missed his point . If we think that way then why don't people stick to PS3 and Xbox 360 .? Why devs don't support those two platforms for next ten years .? The answer is simple ; They want to move forward . They want to make use of more powerful CPUs to make AI more clever , challenging and immersive . They want to make game world more real , alive and bigger to make gameplay more non linear . How exactly is that a bad thing .? Can you do game like Witcher 3 on PS3 and Xbox 360 .?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

You missed his point . If we think that way then why don't people stick to PS3 and Xbox 360 .? Why devs don't support those two platforms for next ten years .? The answer is simple ; They want to move forward . They want to make use of more powerful CPUs to make AI more clever , challenging and immersive . They want to make game world more real , alive and bigger to make gameplay more non linear . How exactly is that a bad thing .? Can you do game like Witcher 3 on PS3 and Xbox 360 .?

There isn't really a need for a next gen....the console makers do it for profit. And if they don't up the generation every once in awhile they will be left behind by the other console makers. The two are not necessarily linked. There is nothing wrong with an upgrade....but damn dude gaming isn't meant to be about numbers.

Your answer is wrong. Devs might want more power....the real answer however is profit.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Ryse, a launch title, already looks better than last gen. This is a slow enough start but I'll be waiting a year or so more before I call this gen "weak". It took a while to get Gears and Uncharted last gen, too.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45107 Posts

you don't understand what next gen means

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: so what does it mean?

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Oh yea amazing logic lets view this new generation and see how bad it is even though its only been 6 months! couldnt agree more i think its better to get a gaming PC and play LoL now totally PC Master Race!

lulz at new consoles despite them being out for only 6 months lul

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Oh i hear TC have not played "Infamous 2nd Son", if you cant see the "Next gen" in that game you need your eyes checked...

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

It'll come down to the games like every gen. The power of the pc didn't do it any good wrangling up a goty exclusive all of gen 7 on gs. Consoles had no problem, though, and I expect history to repeat.

Pc will always be in the shadow of consoles when it comes to exclusives.

If pc wants to be taken seriously as far as gaming goes, it needs to step up its game in the exclusives department.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

Great read! Had me at the edge of my seat.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lostrib

@amazonangry: it will be in the shadow by having more exclusives and having more high rated games?

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

Because judging a whole gen based off the first half year is a logical and reasonable thing to do.

Look at last gen, if we wrote that off based on the first few months then it would have looked dumb considering the likes of TLOU and GTA V came out much later showing off fantastic visuals

I concur.

It is rather stupid to write them off this early.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jhonMalcovich

@seanmcloughlin said:

The situation is kinda different this gen. I don't remember consoles having problems running games right at the start of the gen.

For example, Xbox360 had no problem running Oblivion, one of the most demanding games at the start of the 7th gen. Meanwhile I couldn't run Oblivion on my Pentium 4 3.2 GHZ, 4GB of RAM, and GT7600 at 1024*768 resolutions when it was released.

DarthRamms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DarthRamms
Member since 2013 • 1128 Posts

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

This new gen, at least regarding multiplats, will be about running 7th-gen level quality games at hd on consoles. There wasn't actually a generation leap on them. It was just a hardware update. Nothing changes for us, PC Gamers. If any game slightly touches next-gen, it's immediately a sub-hd game on consoles.

I had a bit of hope of having a true next gen experience this gen, but after Watchdogs fiasco, I realized that there will be really a few examples of that.

No matter how hard consolites hype their exclusives, in reality, those titles are just 7th-gen quality at 1080p, what we PC gamers have been having for years.

The Order 1886 is a decent looking game as any third person shooter would be if released in 2014.And it's not even at full hd.

Second Son has the same level of visual quality that we had on PC in Sleeping Dog.

In the latest UFC installment, animations still look unhuman as hell, and fighters look like made of plastic or something.

Killzone doesn't look better than Crysis 3, a 7th gen game.

Let's be honest, no incoming console exclusive or multiplat looks trully next gen, except for Witcher 3, but this is because it's mainly a PC franchise, and console versions won't look even close to what will see on PC.

The only games that look next gen are PC exclusives such as Elite: Dangerous, Star Citizen, The Forest, etc.

The only hope for next gen that I have is if some indies decide to push PC hardware capabilities to max. Next gen won't happen on cosoles. It's just a 7th gen 2.0

But "next-gen" has barely started yet.

It has only truly begun when we see games that ONLY support xbox1, ps4, and pc.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jhonMalcovich

@amazonangry said:

It'll come down to the games like every gen. The power of the pc didn't do it any good wrangling up a goty exclusive all of gen 7 on gs. Consoles had no problem, though, and I expect history to repeat.

Pc will always be in the shadow of consoles when it comes to exclusives.

If pc wants to be taken seriously as far as gaming goes, it needs to step up its game in the exclusives department.

The situation is kinda different this time. At the start of the 7th gen, PC didn't have the exclusive line up that it has today right from the start of this gen:

Elite: Dangeruous, Star Citizen, The Forest, Warhammer 40K: Deathwing, Styx: Master of Shadows, Lichdom, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Routine, Reset, Eve Valkyrie, Fortnite, Planetary Annihilation, Cyberpunk 2077, Satellite Reign, Assetto Corsa, Divinity: Original Sin, etc.

MoneySha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MoneySha
Member since 2013 • 209 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

There isn't really a need for a next gen....the console makers do it for profit. And if they don't up the generation every once in awhile they will be left behind by the other console makers. The two are not necessarily linked. There is nothing wrong with an upgrade....but damn dude gaming isn't meant to be about numbers.

Your answer is wrong. Devs might want more power....the real answer however is profit.

^^Agreed***

Which is exactly why, well continue to see 7th gen releases along side current gen consoles...

Could, Watch Dogs or Assassin's Creed 4, had looked a whole lot better for PS4 and Xbox One if they were current gen exclusive...? Of course; but it's about capitalizing on 7th gen user base as much as possible for that extra profit they would not gain from current gen user base (the people that haven't made the switch, yet).

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I think the biggest problem is that the Xbone is just a little bit too weak. Developers could start making some stunning games that run at 720p 30 fps on the PS4, but then how would those games run on the Xbone?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#30  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

Oh yea amazing logic lets view this new generation and see how bad it is even though its only been 6 months! couldnt agree more i think its better to get a gaming PC and play LoL now totally PC Master Race!

lulz at new consoles despite them being out for only 6 months lul

So much jelly of the glorious PC master race in this post.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

What a fascinating read. Your understanding of the gaming industry, it's terminology, and direction were truly eye opening and praise worthy.

or was that eye-rolling and lol worthy...

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

Agreed . Next gen consoles' specs are disappointing and it is not good for anyone since most of the time devs' main target is lowest common denominator . Luckily we'll have games like (as you said) Witcher 3 , Cyberpunk 2077 etc that will be mainly targeted for latest PC hardware (along with exclusives like Star Citizen , Unreal Tournament etc) .

and yet ALL the best games are console exclusives, and pc just has RTS garbage and WoW expansion number 5000000379573394

u mad?

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

go look at games in 2005-2006, come back to the present and compare them to what we got now.

also switching SD to HD help a lot and going HD to 4k isn't happening any time soon so ya you won't see crazy upgrades

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

Hard to build a next gen console when you have to worry about heat and price. The latest tech on pc uses alot of power and generates alot of heat. Sony built a decent box but there is no way they could make money trying to compete with the mighty pc.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#35  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Can't say I really care. I just want more great games.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

and yet ALL the best games are console exclusives,

Not according to GS and MC.

http://systemwarsmagazine.com/gamespot-reviews-spreadsheet/

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii553/booheadsa/2450993-owned.png

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lostrib

@Jankarcop said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

and yet ALL the best games are console exclusives,

Not according to GS and MC.

http://systemwarsmagazine.com/gamespot-reviews-spreadsheet/

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii553/booheadsa/2450993-owned.png

Crap, you're both asshats so I don't know which one to make fun of

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jankarcop

I am simply logic based. I only deal in facts and objective data. This is why I have never lost at SW.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By lostrib

@Jankarcop said:

I am simply logic based. I only deal in facts and objective data. This is why I have never lost at SW.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jankarcop

@lostrib said:

@Jankarcop said:

Loading Video...

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By lostrib

@Jankarcop said:

@lostrib said:

@Jankarcop said:

Loading Video...

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@jhonMalcovich: More people buy games because of the gameplay and the fun. As long as exclusive next-gen games keep providing that, that's all the really matters. I've had more fun playing tetris on the original gameboy then I had playing several PC games. It's always been about the fun more then the power of the hardware or the graphics.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Cloud_imperium

@ps4hasnogames said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

and yet ALL the best games are console exclusives, and pc just has RTS garbage and WoW expansion number 5000000379573394

u mad?

How old are you .? 12 .?

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

What a shit thread.

Infamous looks quite a bit better than maxed out sleepy dogs, I would know.

Now crawl back under your bridge, feeding times over.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

pc clowns love to prove their lack of intelligence on a daily basis

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Hermits just don't get it. They'll constantly and wrongly assume tech specs are important to console gamers. Talk about rose-tinted goggles...

@GarGx1 said:

Can you hear the console trolls coming?

Console exclusives, you can't play them on PC (just thought I'd add this before the thread fills up with similar comments) I think I'll survive without being able to play 1 or 2 worthy games a year that I can't get on PC.

Oh, GTA V and RDR, they are on the new consoles, right?

Ironic to read the word "troll" coming from you. Keep wrapping yourself in denial by thinking there's only "1 or 2 worthy games a year" on consoles. Sounds very much like a single-system owner's very limited way of thinking to protect themselves in dc protection.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

All these cows saying specs Dont matter. Then, they go back to their Xbox bashing thread making fun of the Xbox for being a tiny bit weaker. Sure specs don't matter but you shouldn't say that when you spend 50 threads debating 900p vs 792p. As soon as you have to compare to PC, you suddenly don't care anymore. Never have I met a more hypocritical group of people.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

@m3dude1: Oh the irony, coming from someone who thought it was a good idea to say they were the top SC player in America.

Never letting that go man.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Cloud_imperium

@DarthRamms said:

Star Citizen looks like high budget Hollywood movie (even in pre alpha) .