Newell: Stop Piracy by offering Superior Service

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts

A whole bunch o pirates complaining in this thread... :|

Johnny_Rock
Who's complaining? Newell is right, better service and better games will combat piracy much more effectively than more anti-piracy software. It is just that Newell sounds like a complete hypocrite saying it when his program is the pinnacle of anti-piracy software.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

SF_KiLLaMaN
Who's complaining? Newell is right, better service and better games will combat piracy much more effectively than more anti-piracy software. It is just that Newell sounds like a complete hypocrite saying it when his program is the pinnacle of anti-piracy software.

Indeed. I agree with his core statement, but I'd like to see him do it first! It's laughable to hear people say Steam's DRM isn't bad...as consoles slowly (too slowly, might I add) shed region locking, Steam/Newell bravely enables this for the PC. Thanks jack***
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

I got this in game informer a while ago. Anyway, he's totally right. So much of his DRM is actually harming the peoplle who actually buy it, making people think "wtf? I can get better service from the pirates"

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18268 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]btw: Eurogamer gave Uncharted 3 an 8/10Mozelleple112
And IGN, a site that actually matters, gave it a 10. UC3 is AAAAE then :D

:lol: Now IGN matters all of a sudden?

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

I think there is some truth to that, but he does neglect to acknowledge the percentage of pirates who aren't potential customers.

For example; I used to work with this guy. He was married and had a few kids. He had little in the way of personal time, and even less in the area of personal spending money. He made squat (so did I, we did work toegether after all), so he couldn't afford the games he'd play.

He pirated everything he played except one of the Battlefields, which he only payed for because it was an online game. The point is, this guy wouldn't have purchased these games had piracy not been available to him, he simply would have had to find something else to do with his time.

I'm sure his situation is not the common one, but this type of pirate has to be acknowledged to accurately judge how much revenue is lost to the pirates.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#56 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

Steam is a service, Blizzard understand this with Battle Net. EA, bless their cotton socks ;) are trying their best with Origin unfortunately their one of the prime evils and no one will ever believe they have anything but nafarious intent. Ubisoft don't have a clue and think they know better than their entire legal customer base and therefore try and alienate and crimalise them at every turn. Activision will probably take the Blizzard approach in the near future.

So what make Steam different? One simple fact - Steam games can be played offline after they've been installed and updated.

Oh!I hope no one still believes piracy is a PC exclusive, every console title can be found on torrent sites as well.

GarGx1

As a service Good Old Games destroys Steam, because GOG games are DRM free. I don't mind DRM that much, never had a problem with it, but I would still prefer to live without it. Too bad GOG only sells good old games and Witcher.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

I bet half the piracy traffic on the internet is from people who already bought the games legitimately but want a copy that is DRM free. When the pirated version of something is superior, of course people are going to download it. Smart publishers try to make the official product superior, instead of saying "if you buy this game, we will preemptively punish you since you probably will consider uploading it to the internet at some point. Shame on you, you evil little bastard, and give us $60."

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

whats funny is that Steam is an agreesive form of DRM...Newell just doesn't get it people steal the majority of the time because they want something but can't afford it...Not because its hard to get...
And people wonder why PC gaming has the highest piracy ratebecause of people like Newell who just don't get it.

Endomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Endomi
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

SF_KiLLaMaN

The ability to have all your games on one non obtrusive service that only requires you a program running in the background makes him a hypocrite?So he should remove the DRM and allow easy piracy of steam games? /facepalm Sounds like someones never used Steam before.. Bad service is one of the major reasons for piracy.People will pirate a game instead of having to wait for an extra month or so for it to finally release in their region.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

whats funny is that Steam is an agreesive form of DRM...Newell just doesn't get it people steal the majority of the time because they want something but can't afford it...Not because its hard to get...
And people wonder why PC gaming has the highest piracy ratebecause of people like Newell who just don't get it.

WilliamRLBaker

Steam is agressive DRM? I don't find that, its easy to use and allows you to play any of your games on any PC at any location, how is that bad?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#61 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts

Defending pirates? as if they have ethics and morals.

Let me make it real clear, pirates are freeloaders, they do it because they can. They make excuses up to justify it, but they are 9 out of 10 times unfounded.

Pirates FORCED steam. Steam wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the pirates. PC gaming was better then stream can ever be. You got a full copy of a game and a CD key and that was it. PC gamers were already paying the least, PC gaming has always been great value.

If I could buy games on disc with just a CD key, how it used to be, I wouldn't entertain the idea using steam. Right now, steam is the lesser of two evils.

Don't make out as if pirates are protesting heroes. "we wont be milked and we'll stand up to the evil publishers". They DON'T WANT TO PAY. They aren't heroes, they're petty theives.

Edited: Re-read the op. Not sure if TC is defending pirates or not. Sorry for original comment if not.

Darth_DuMas
That's quite the generalization.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#62 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

To stop a Gaben, take control and press the Gaben.

Sorry, the title of this thread just reminded me and I couldn't resist. :lol:

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#63 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
I agree with Newell. Personally, I hate games that are DRM intrusive. And PC gamers know playing those game is bad so they don't buy them. And what's the developer excuse? Piracy.
Elitro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Elitro
Member since 2009 • 578 Posts

Yes Steam is a giant DRM service.

And yes Steam is a solid service, and is worth enough to put up with it.

The fact is, i had 0 steam games until a while and i used the platform for years. It manages all your games (Steam and non steam) and has an auto download button for AMD drivers. Plus for those who purchase it keeps you up to date with patches and reminders of extra dlc you can purchase, tells you what your friends are playing (similar to XBL and PSN) has an achievement system for games and offers you incredible deals every once and awhile.

Also it lets you download your game anywhere you are as long as you login into it.

If you are a pc gamer you know how good steam is and why it is so popular (plus you don't have to pay for any of these services unlike XBL).

You may need steam to install the games but you don't need to be online to play them.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Timstuff

Love that song.

Darth_DuMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Darth_DuMas
Member since 2006 • 2687 Posts

[QUOTE="Darth_DuMas"]

Defending pirates? as if they have ethics and morals.

Let me make it real clear, pirates are freeloaders, they do it because they can. They make excuses up to justify it, but they are 9 out of 10 times unfounded.

Pirates FORCED steam. Steam wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the pirates. PC gaming was better then stream can ever be. You got a full copy of a game and a CD key and that was it. PC gamers were already paying the least, PC gaming has always been great value.

If I could buy games on disc with just a CD key, how it used to be, I wouldn't entertain the idea using steam. Right now, steam is the lesser of two evils.

Don't make out as if pirates are protesting heroes. "we wont be milked and we'll stand up to the evil publishers". They DON'T WANT TO PAY. They aren't heroes, they're petty thieves.

Edited: Re-read the op. Not sure if TC is defending pirates or not. Sorry for original comment if not.

siLVURcross

That's quite the generalization.

Holds more merit than the guess work going on. Mines backed up by scores of people who advocate piracy and want to fight for the right to do so.

It's based on the fact that no matter how low priced a product can be, the pirate would rather not pay. I've heard their excuses so many times. It's frustrating because none of the excuses are that good and are generalisations in them selves.

They have been given opportunity after opportunity.

The only time i've heard an excuse i've understood is when someone said, they'd download creative software because they can't afford the £400 - £500 it would cost to buy.

I actually appreciate the honesty from the ones who just say "I ain't paying".

As soon as I hear a good reason for what they do that I can't counter with something, i'll accept why that person does it.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

The real way to stop it is to include a free game specific Hat with proof of purchase

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"][QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

Endomi

The ability to have all your games on one non obtrusive service that only requires you a program running in the background makes him a hypocrite?So he should remove the DRM and allow easy piracy of steam games? /facepalm Sounds like someones never used Steam before.. Bad service is one of the major reasons for piracy.People will pirate a game instead of having to wait for an extra month or so for it to finally release in their region.

I use steam all the time and I have over 20 games on it. Steam DRM blows anyways as steam games are usually cracked a day or 2 after the release. It's just a stupid DRM platform. Newell is a hypocrite for speaking out against DRM when he own the biggest DRM program out there in Steam. Please stop acting like you know more than me.

archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

Timstuff

So...damn...catchy! :cry:

Seiki_sands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#70 Seiki_sands
Member since 2003 • 1973 Posts

[QUOTE="Kickinurass"]

[QUOTE="supdotcom"]

offline mode? that works pretty well.

bri360

Yeah, because I didn't try that :roll:

Tried four times. Log in. Start in offline mode. "Steam is not connected to the internet" or something like that, and then the only option was to hit the close button.

I eventually gave up and watched Kickass instead.

Well then its obviously not a problem with steam in general but something you did, cuzzz.... it works fine for everyone else...

It is a very, very, very common problem.

Google it.

Type Steam Off... by this point google will already suggest Steam Offline Mode Error and Steam Offline Mode Not Working, because a lot of the time, it doesn't.

That's not including the fact that if the games aren't 100% updated they won't work in offline mode by design, and the fact that every game used in offline mode needs to have been used in online mode at least once to work anyways.

Note: Don't fret though, all you have to do to fix most offline mode errors is connect online. Steam will do the rest, isn't that handy?

I'm sure Valve is on it though, these problems have only been posted on their forums since 2005 and what with their anti-pirate superior service, I'm sure a fix is right around the corner.