Newell: Stop Piracy by offering Superior Service

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Mr. Newell has done it again and before people start saying, "Oh how many times is this man going to keep saying this?" Well to be truth, this man better keep saying it. We gamers get the idea, but those darn stubborn publishers don't.

All they can see is. Milk Here, Milk There. Hey LOOK AT THAT DRIED COW(Lem)!! Let's MILK IT SOME MORE!! and when they try to MILK the PC Gaming Bulls, the majority of the bulls won't let them, publishers start to scream out PIRATES!!!!! while Valve and Blizzard start LMAOing..

------

"One thing that we have learned is that piracy is not a pricing issue. It's a service issue," he said.

"The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting anti-piracy technology to work. It's by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates.

"For example, Russia. You say, oh, we're going to enter Russia, people say, you're doomed, they'll pirate everything in Russia. Russia now outside of Germany is our largest continental European market.

"But the point was, the people who are telling you that Russians pirate everything are the people who wait six months to localise their product into Russia," he continued.

"It doesn't take much in terms of providing a better service to make pirates a non-issue."--- but but, publishers need to make money? No. Give THEM MILK!!

------

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-24-newell-stop-piracy-by-offering-superior-service

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ShadowDeathX
btw: Eurogamer gave Uncharted 3 an 8/10
MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

People need to listen to Newell.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
"The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting anti-piracy technology to work. It's by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." This caught me attention. Newell has one of the biggest DRM anti piracy softwares available, yet claims that anti-piracy measure don't solve anything? Remove the DRM from my steam games Newell and then I will agree with you. Until then, you're nothing but a hypocrite.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ShadowDeathX
[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]"The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting anti-piracy technology to work. It's by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." This caught me attention. Newell has one of the biggest DRM anti piracy softwares available, yet claims that anti-piracy measure don't solve anything? Remove the DRM from my steam games Newell and then I will agree with you. Until then, you're nothing but a hypocrite.

The DRM is a service, not the normal I'm going to take all your rights!! DRM.
TheGrudge13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 TheGrudge13
Member since 2009 • 1198 Posts
[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]"The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting anti-piracy technology to work. It's by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." This caught me attention. Newell has one of the biggest DRM anti piracy softwares available, yet claims that anti-piracy measure don't solve anything? Remove the DRM from my steam games Newell and then I will agree with you. Until then, you're nothing but a hypocrite.

i couldn't agree more
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SF_KiLLaMaN
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"][QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]"The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting anti-piracy technology to work. It's by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." This caught me attention. Newell has one of the biggest DRM anti piracy softwares available, yet claims that anti-piracy measure don't solve anything? Remove the DRM from my steam games Newell and then I will agree with you. Until then, you're nothing but a hypocrite.

The DRM is a service, not the normal I'm going to take all your rights!! DRM.

There is only 1 DRM device that is worse than what Steam does, and that was Ubisoft's always online DRM. Other than that, Steam is the worst DRM device out there. I have to have steam running to play my games? Why? Steam is justa giant DRM program in disguise. They added a great store and a mediocre community feature to disguise just how lame their DRM is. I guess it worked.
Avatar image for slantedandencha
slantedandencha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 slantedandencha
Member since 2005 • 367 Posts

in other news, we landed on the moon

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts
btw: Eurogamer gave Uncharted 3 an 8/10ShadowDeathX
And IGN, a site that actually matters, gave it a 10. UC3 is AAAAE then :D
archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]btw: Eurogamer gave Uncharted 3 an 8/10Mozelleple112

Bet eurogamer would matter if they gave UC3 a 10/10 huh?

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
He is right to a point, but I don't think that alone stops piracy.
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts
Says the man that require me install steam in order to run games.... Yea, no thanks.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SF_KiLLaMaN

I trust Eurogamer far more than I trust IGN. They seem to be fairer when it comes to scoring.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Obligatory humorus Gabe image:

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

"The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting anti-piracy technology to work. It's by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." This caught me attention. Newell has one of the biggest DRM anti piracy softwares available, yet claims that anti-piracy measure don't solve anything? Remove the DRM from my steam games Newell and then I will agree with you. Until then, you're nothing but a hypocrite.SF_KiLLaMaN

Pretty much this. I tried to play Terraria on a car ride from Atlanta. And I've played Terraria on my laptop before - yet Steam wasn't having that.

Had similar problems with New Vegas on a spotty internet connection. So yeah, fix your own DRM first Newell, then start talking about everyone else.

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts

Steams not a bad DRM, in my opinion. You download a game and play it. No entering codes or anything (unless required by games that use GFWL or such). Play it once online and you can play it offline all you want after that. Needing Steam to play a Steam game isn't much different than needing an Xbox to play and Xbox game. The only time I have a problem is when you get a game from steam and the publisher of said still requires you to jump through their own hoops. That's when the DRM gets to be too much. If all I had to do was have the Steam client open, I'd have zero complaints. As far as what Gabe is saying here, I totally agree with him. I've never purchased as many games as I have since joining Steam. I haven't considered the alternative in years.
supdotcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 supdotcom
Member since 2010 • 1121 Posts

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]"The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting anti-piracy technology to work. It's by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." This caught me attention. Newell has one of the biggest DRM anti piracy softwares available, yet claims that anti-piracy measure don't solve anything? Remove the DRM from my steam games Newell and then I will agree with you. Until then, you're nothing but a hypocrite.Kickinurass

Pretty much this. I tried to play Terraria on a car ride from Atlanta. And I've played Terraria on my laptop before - yet Steam wasn't having that.

Had similar problems with New Vegas on a spotty internet connection. So yeah, fix your own DRM first Newell, then start talking about everyone else.

offline mode? that works pretty well.

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kickinurass

supdotcom

Yeah, because I didn't try that :roll:

Tried four times. Log in. Start in offline mode. "Steam is not connected to the internet" or something like that, and then the only option was to hit the close button.

I eventually gave up and watched Kickass instead.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

don't ever mention piracy on steam forums its insta ban... which is stupid since all I said was I had to crack my steam game because I didn't get a valid cd key from them to play a game I bought...

bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]"The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting anti-piracy technology to work. It's by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." This caught me attention. Newell has one of the biggest DRM anti piracy softwares available, yet claims that anti-piracy measure don't solve anything? Remove the DRM from my steam games Newell and then I will agree with you. Until then, you're nothing but a hypocrite.MrSelf-Destruct
Steams not a bad DRM, in my opinion. You download a game and play it. No entering codes or anything (unless required by games that use GFWL or such). Play it once online and you can play it offline all you want after that. Needing Steam to play a Steam game isn't much different than needing an Xbox to play and Xbox game. The only time I have a problem is when you get a game from steam and the publisher of said still requires you to jump through their own hoops. That's when the DRM gets to be too much. If all I had to do was have the Steam client open, I'd have zero complaints. As far as what Gabe is saying here, I totally agree with him. I've never purchased as many games as I have since joining Steam. I haven't considered the alternative in years.

Pretty much this, I buy almost all my games on steam now, asides from console exclusives. Theres nothing wrong with steams "DRM" if you can even call it that, its the same as needing a ps3 to play ps3 games. But like ive already seen in this thread, theresstill people that will **** and complain about everything until its 100% the way they want it even though its usually unrealistic and selfish of them to consider it that way. Theres gotta be a compromise somewhere between publishers and the customers and steam is by far the best one.

firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]"The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting anti-piracy technology to work. It's by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." This caught me attention. Newell has one of the biggest DRM anti piracy softwares available, yet claims that anti-piracy measure don't solve anything? Remove the DRM from my steam games Newell and then I will agree with you. Until then, you're nothing but a hypocrite.TheGrudge13
i couldn't agree more

Oh yes, all them measures they take that ruin our experience :roll:

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

I love how even in this context, mention of the dreaded "Russians" can send shivers down your spine. Cold War's over wait what?

bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts

[QUOTE="supdotcom"]

Kickinurass

Yeah, because I didn't try that :roll:

Tried four times. Log in. Start in offline mode. "Steam is not connected to the internet" or something like that, and then the only option was to hit the close button.

I eventually gave up and watched Kickass instead.

Well then its obviously not a problem with steam in general but something you did, cuzzz.... it works fine for everyone else...

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

He´s not wrong.

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kickinurass

Well then its obviously not a problem with steam in general but something you did, cuzzz.... it works fine for everyone else...

bri360

Maybe, but I just know that Steam gives me more problems than not, even if offline works (which it strangely does sometime). And that's even the biggest problem with Steam DRM. Which I can address in your other post

Pretty much this, I buy almost all my games on steam now, asides from console exclusives. Theres nothing wrong with steams "DRM" if you can even call it that, its the same as needing a ps3 to play ps3 games. But like ive already seen in this thread, theresstill people that will **** and complain about everything until its 100% the way they want it even though its usually unrealistic and selfish of them to consider it that way. Theres gotta be a compromise somewhere between publishers and the customers and steam is by far the best one.

bri360

Needing Steam to place PC games =/= needing a PS3 to play PS3 games. I bought Deus Ex from GMG, yet I have to activate it through Steam and run it through Steam. I shouldn't need Steam to play games that have really nothing to do with Steam other than use it as DRM. There's no such thing as a Steam game :/

Furthermore, I can't sell Deus Ex back through GMG. Because Steam DRM doesn't actually allow users to have own the game. No, Valve's idea of ownership consists of tradeable TF2 hats and other bs digital items that equate to glorified avatar clothing. I'm more than willing to give Steam props for the things it does - but I'm not going to turn a blind eye to the fact that Steam DRM could be improved upon.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#26 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

So true... so true.

I have converted a bunch of friends that pirated all there games, now they love steam and buy 90-100% of there games on steam.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Steam is DRM, but you cant sell games on PC and not have some sort of DRM. Honestly, Steam is one of the better ones that have been used in recent years and I would much prefer using it than Ubisofts or GFWL.
-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts
Steam for the win.
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts
I bet 5$ that TC play more than one game in a franchise. So he's complaints regarding "milking" is now NULL.
Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts
It would certainly help but some people pirate games and movies just because they can.
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

I completely agree with Gabe, he's spot on. Steam is definitely DRM but it's one of the most useful and acceptable forms of DRM...nothing like Ubi's crap DRM or origin even, which is spyware in disguise-ware. I'd take Steam every single time above them.

Not to mention the fact that it takes only minutes to prepare your games for offline mode so basically it's a total non-issue.

telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"][QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]btw: Eurogamer gave Uncharted 3 an 8/10SF_KiLLaMaN

I trust Eurogamer far more than I trust IGN. They seem to be fairer when it comes to scoring.

Yes you trust Eurogamer because its the only review out of 36 AAAA and AAA reviews that are out right now and they gave it a 8.0 ? Is it because Zelda scored a 10 at Eurogamer that you trust them more ?

Darth_DuMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 Darth_DuMas
Member since 2006 • 2687 Posts

Defending pirates? as if they have ethics and morals.

Let me make it real clear, pirates are freeloaders, they do it because they can. They make excuses up to justify it, but they are 9 out of 10 times unfounded.

Pirates FORCED steam. Steam wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the pirates. PC gaming was better then stream can ever be. You got a full copy of a game and a CD key and that was it. PC gamers were already paying the least, PC gaming has always been great value.

If I could buy games on disc with just a CD key, how it used to be, I wouldn't entertain the idea using steam. Right now, steam is the lesser of two evils.

Don't make out as if pirates are protesting heroes. "we wont be milked and we'll stand up to the evil publishers". They DON'T WANT TO PAY. They aren't heroes, they're petty theives.

Edited: Re-read the op. Not sure if TC is defending pirates or not. Sorry for original comment if not.

iamrob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#34 iamrob7
Member since 2007 • 2138 Posts

This man has the right approach, I'm sick of companies whining on about shortchanging their consumer because of pirates. The games industry is bigger than it has ever been, there is more money floating about than ever. If only every company had this attitude, instead of complaining, up your game and make people love you so much they want to buy from you.

MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

I don't think all of Gabes comments were about DRM. It was about the game itself. He says that if a developer doesn't put in the time to localize Russian games they pirate it. Developers that don't put in the time to make a proper PC version get their games pirated too.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

the DRM on steamworks games is non-intrusive. it irritates me to no end that people like you even complain about it. why exactly is it such a nuisance?
GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Steam is a service, Blizzard understand this with Battle Net. EA, bless their cotton socks ;) are trying their best with Origin unfortunately their one of the prime evils and no one will ever believe they have anything but nafarious intent. Ubisoft don't have a clue and think they know better than their entire legal customer base and therefore try and alienate and crimalise them at every turn. Activision will probably take the Blizzard approach in the near future.

So what make Steam different? One simple fact - Steam games can be played offline after they've been installed and updated.

Oh!I hope no one still believes piracy is a PC exclusive, every console title can be found on torrent sites as well.

daiyume

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 daiyume
Member since 2011 • 324 Posts

Welcome to what Pokemon has been doing for a long time, with questionable results that swing both ways.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SF_KiLLaMaN
[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"][QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]"The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting anti-piracy technology to work. It's by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." This caught me attention. Newell has one of the biggest DRM anti piracy softwares available, yet claims that anti-piracy measure don't solve anything? Remove the DRM from my steam games Newell and then I will agree with you. Until then, you're nothing but a hypocrite.

the DRM on steamworks games is non-intrusive. it irritates me to no end that people like you even complain about it. why exactly is it such a nuisance?

How is having to load up a 3rd party program everytime I want to play a game I payed for not a nuisance?
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I'm gonna have to put on my "duh" headband for this one.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SF_KiLLaMaN

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"][QUOTE="Mozelleple112"] And IGN, a site that actually matters, gave it a 10. UC3 is AAAAE then :Dtelefanatic

Yes you trust Eurogamer because its the only review out of 36 AAAA and AAA reviews that are out right now and they gave it a 8.0 ? Is it because Zelda scored a 10 at Eurogamer that you trust them more ?

No.... I'm mainly a PC gamer, I just happen to have a Skyward Sword sig I made. Why would you assume I like a site based on 1 review? I like Eurogamer more because they are a little bit more hesitant to give out a 9-10 score where GS and IGN give at least a 9 to every big game that comes out. 8 is still a grea score, it's just that people are so accustomed to 9's and 10's that they see an 8 as a bad score when it is, in fact, a great score. Even 7 is good.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

I thought IGN didn't matter after it gave Forza 4 a 9.5! :lol:
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"][QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]"The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting anti-piracy technology to work. It's by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." This caught me attention. Newell has one of the biggest DRM anti piracy softwares available, yet claims that anti-piracy measure don't solve anything? Remove the DRM from my steam games Newell and then I will agree with you. Until then, you're nothing but a hypocrite.SF_KiLLaMaN

How is having to load up a 3rd party program everytime I want to play a game I payed for not a nuisance?

are you talking about steam or other companies' drm?

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SF_KiLLaMaN

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"][QUOTE="princeofshapeir"] the DRM on steamworks games is non-intrusive. it irritates me to no end that people like you even complain about it. why exactly is it such a nuisance?princeofshapeir

are you talking about steam or other companies' drm?

Steam....
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

People still listen to Newell? I like the guy but he contradicts himself all the time, especially in regards to Steam.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
He is right to a point, but I don't think that alone stops piracy.SaltyMeatballs
Curbs it and for legit consumer we benefit if more companies took this philishopy.
cobrax55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 cobrax55
Member since 2007 • 1364 Posts

People still listen to Newell? I like the guy but he contradicts himself all the time, especially in regards to Steam.

Whiteblade999

Well hes effectively the most succesfull developer in the gaming industry, hes obviously doing something right.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

A whole bunch o pirates complaining in this thread... :|

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

and when they try to MILK the PC Gaming Bulls, the majority of the bulls won't let them, publishers start to scream out PIRATES!!!!! while Valve and Blizzard start LMAOing..

ShadowDeathX

Wait... so your argument is that PC gamers aren't taken in by attempts to monetize their fanbase (like DLC), and then bring up Blizzard... the people who brought you the $25 flying horse?

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ShadowDeathX

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]

and when they try to MILK the PC Gaming Bulls, the majority of the bulls won't let them, publishers start to scream out PIRATES!!!!! while Valve and Blizzard start LMAOing..

lowe0

Wait... so your argument is that PC gamers aren't taken in by attempts to monetize their fanbase (like DLC), and then bring up Blizzard... the people who brought you the $25 flying horse?

It was joke silly...