New Hitman Games Are Unbelievably Short.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Sure you can play same mission multiple times, since there are multiple ways to complete your objective but how many times can one play same mission over and over again? Sorry to say this but I'm disappointed by Hitman 2. Was so excited, and got it yesterday and I'm done today with my 'no quest markers' walkthrough. I am getting 'WTH just happened' feeling from this game like its prequel.

There are like 6 missions and one of them is a prologue. So you have total 5 actual missions. Even if you combine Hitman 1 and 2, and consider it one game, it still feels short and unfinished. May be when the third game will release and all 3 games will come together, only then it'll feel like one complete game with decent length. Instead of online only BS and other gimmicks, they should've focused on actual story content/missions like older games in the series (12 actual missions in Blood Money apart from other activities for example). Good games but disappointing at the same time.

PS: Hitman 2 also suffers from memory leak problems but fortunately tweaking few of the settings fixed that problem but they better fix that shit in the next game.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#2 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

Agreed. they are too short. I liked season 1 alot. consider one of the best game this gen. but season 2 is glorified DLC.

Blood money is still best Hitman game.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Cloud_imperium

@ghosts4ever: Nah. Best is old Hitman 2: Silent Assassin. That game was ahead of its time. Never saw a protagonist like that before in games. They also nailed his character and the way he walks like a boss with slightly bent neck. Contracts was also great but underrated. 2 and contracts both had most memorable soundtracks by Jesper Kyd. Later they went with Hollywood-ish soundtracks, hence the second one still offers the best soundtrack and atmosphere. It often used to become quiet, so you could only hear 47's footsteps as he approached towards the target slowly with his pistol. It created a lot of suspense and thrilling moments. It also featured first person view.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

@ghosts4ever: Nah. Best is old Hitman 2: Silent Assassin. That game was ahead of its time. Never saw a protagonist like that before in games. They also nailed his character and the way he walks like a boss with slightly bent neck. Contracts was also great but underrated. 2 and contracts both had most memorable soundtracks by Jesper Kyd. Later they went with Hollywood-ish soundtracks, hence the second one still offers the best soundtrack and atmosphere. It often used to become quiet, so you could only hear 47's footsteps as he approached towards the target slowly with his pistol. It created a lot of suspense and thrilling moments. It also featured first person view.

Oh yeah. Hitman 2 silent assassin was brilliant. long, has amazing story, and most varied game in series. although the AI suck and it make disguise useless.

In blood money. disguise work perfectly fine. although i consider silent assassins, contracts and blood money a masterpiece. the team that made old hitman games are no longer work in IO interactive. while new hitman games are major improvement over absolution, they still fall flat compare to blood money.

also i missed jesper kyd

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Brilliant soundtracks he composed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Hum, was thinking about buying it recently but if its that short I think I'll wait for a slight price drop. I'm all for quality over quantity but since I'm not one for replaying the same levels over and over again unless the combat is superb and action is thick (like DMC) I just wont bother. Stealth is not a good genre for replayability imo

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Planeforger  Online
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

@Vatusus: I disagree that stealth games aren't replayable.

The Hitman games in particular are designed to be played over and over again, since there are many different ways to complete each mission, and you're ranked at the end of it.

I played through Hitman 2 (uh, the original Hitman 2), Contracts and Blood Money tons of times while trying to get perfect scores on every level - and then perfect scores across levels back-to-back, and so on.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Didn't Hitman:Blood Money only have like 8 missions as well?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Season 1 definitely felt longer, but that's also in the context of having each episode doled out over a period of time. Sort of forced you to play one mission multiple times.

With Hitman 2, they did it all at once, so I think it felt shorter. If you actually went back and replayed the missions, you might see the content is equal, or maybe greater, even. As a bonus, they went and updated Season 1 with all of the Hitman 2 game mechanics and content (weapons, etc) so really, it's a much better value than Season 1 was imo.

I was tempted to agree with you, but honestly the only reason I stopped playing Hitman is because I did every missions 2x (or more) and, frankly, had a million other games to play. I'd still be playing it if that was not the case. Every experience is fresh in Hitman 2.

@Vatusus said:

Hum, was thinking about buying it recently but if its that short I think I'll wait for a slight price drop. I'm all for quality over quantity but since I'm not one for replaying the same levels over and over again unless the combat is superb and action is thick (like DMC) I just wont bother. Stealth is not a good genre for replayability imo

Sounds like it's not for you, then. Which is fine.

I wouldn't call the game "short", just "cozy". The levels are only so big, and the targets only so many, but within that snug little environment is a dozen or more ways to complete your mission. They're also constantly adding new challenges, content, and so forth.

If you're looking for a stealth fix, Hitman 2 is great; your first run through will net you at least 10 hours, with 30 more even more enjoyable hours when you start experimenting instead of "playing it to finish".

TL;DR: Hitman 2 is a stealth sandbox, if you can't challenge yourself and make fun with everything they supply to you, that's your fault.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

That's unfortunate to hear. Had Hitman sitting for the longest time and haven't touched it, glad I didn't pay full wack for 2.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I got the first one for free as a gift but haven’t touched it yet. I loved 2, Contracts and Blood Money.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Oh yeah. Hitman 2 silent assassin was brilliant. long, has amazing story, and most varied game in series. although the AI suck and it make disguise useless.

In blood money. disguise work perfectly fine. although i consider silent assassins, contracts and blood money a masterpiece. the team that made old hitman games are no longer work in IO interactive. while new hitman games are major improvement over absolution, they still fall flat compare to blood money.

also i missed jesper kyd

Brilliant soundtracks he composed.

I loved silent assassin, but the first hitman is still the best in the series imo. For its time this game was revolutionary, It was one of the first games that used clothing simulation and rag doll physics.

It improved on pretty much everything other sneak games like metal gear solid and thief did before it, and the game stood completely on its own because of the assassin theme.

Unfortunately not everyone could appreciate this gem, that spawned several sequels, movies and is now even rooted in pop culture, blasphemy really...

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/hitman-codename-47-review/1900-2658770/

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

Well it's still better than overly short games like MGS V: GZ and that got a free pass due to its replayability which in my view is still not that much when you compare it to new Hitman games. These games have multiple paths and an example of truly sandbox games. Don't know what the issue is.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cloud_imperium
@Vatusus said:

Both games can be finished in 3- 4 hours. So if you're getting Hitman 2 and 1, you'll be having fun for 7- 8 hours on your first walkthrough, which is not enough. When Hitman 3 comes out and all games come together, only then it'll be like 10+ hours long, Ok- ish length for a full priced game.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cloud_imperium
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Blood Money has 12 levels plus an epilogue with real ending.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Hitman: Blood Money is one of the greatest games of all time. I will fight anyone that says otherwise. Come at me, bro'

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@ghosts4ever:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts

This thread just made me nostalgic about Silent Assassin. I used to play that game a lot, probably one of my all time favorites. I got Hitman (2016) from humble bundle some time ago, I really should play it.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I love the mechanics and the levels are great.

They blundered the rollout for 'season 2'

It should have been loaded into the base 'HITMAN' game. Transitioning from HITMAN to HITMAN 2 was more trouble than it should have been.

I really enjoyed the missions and replayed them a few times. Got them both on sale though so my value proposition was easier to justify than it would have been at launch.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
@Cloud_imperium said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Ah. That's way more than I remember, but I haven't played the game in years.

kingsfan_0333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kingsfan_0333
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts

I got bored with season 1. Maybe I played it wrong, but it seems like the game held my hand through most of it. Notifications coming up all the time to tell me what to do. Probably a way to turn them off I guess, but I never looked into it.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

I really enjoyed the repayable nature of the games and really was able to see the game as less a story game and more a, possibility simulator.... There are dozens of hours of gameplay there, but yeah I know what you mean by short....

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 texasgoldrush  Online
Member since 2003 • 14898 Posts

@kingsfan_0333 said:

I got bored with season 1. Maybe I played it wrong, but it seems like the game held my hand through most of it. Notifications coming up all the time to tell me what to do. Probably a way to turn them off I guess, but I never looked into it.

There is, and Master difficulty disables it.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 texasgoldrush  Online

@pyro1245 said:

I love the mechanics and the levels are great.

They blundered the rollout for 'season 2'

It should have been loaded into the base 'HITMAN' game. Transitioning from HITMAN to HITMAN 2 was more trouble than it should have been.

I really enjoyed the missions and replayed them a few times. Got them both on sale though so my value proposition was easier to justify than it would have been at launch.

They probably couldn't, and they changed publishers as well.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 texasgoldrush  Online

@Cloud_imperium said:
@Vatusus said:

Both games can be finished in 3- 4 hours. So if you're getting Hitman 2 and 1, you'll be having fun for 7- 8 hours on your first walkthrough, which is not enough. When Hitman 3 comes out and all games come together, only then it'll be like 10+ hours long, Ok- ish length for a full priced game.

Thats not how you play these new Hitman games. The levels themselves are built on replayability where you are supposed to kill the same targets in different ways.

And to reply to the one you are replying to, stealth games are great for replayabilty, this one especially as its designed for it. Thief 1 and 2, even 3, are also great examples.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@texasgoldrush: Ah. Yeah it's a shame because I like the way it's set up. It sucks that you lose all your progress and stuff for each level when you buy H2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#26  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@Vatusus said:

Thats not how you play these new Hitman games. The levels themselves are built on replayability where you are supposed to kill the same targets in different ways.

And to reply to the one you are replying to, stealth games are great for replayabilty, this one especially as its designed for it. Thief 1 and 2, even 3, are also great examples.

I played all the hitman games prior to this one. I love Hitman but I never replayed any of them or any other stealth game. I said and quote "IMO", wich it is. I know Hitman games revolve around replaying levels but I'm not very interested in that when I've dozens of other games to play

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11086 Posts

I enjoyed Hitman 1 and 2. But yes, that's the only drawback, is that they're brief. Especially if you don't want to play the missions over and over (I did, a lot). But, that's the fun of it to me. Maybe I/O should have sold the games for 40 dollars instead. I know the situation was out of their control with the previous game, since Square/Enix wanted to release it episodically. But, oh well, if they're rumored to be going to MS in the future, then so ends Hitman's run.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Cloud_imperium
@kingsfan_0333 said:

You can turn them off completely. It's more fun that way. Way way way more fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I haven't gotten to 2, but I did like the first one.

But you can play the same one multiple times, you just have to want to see the different kinds of ways to do it. Some of them were kind of generic, but I really liked the two mansion levels and the test boat one.

They made a few of them really interesting, and the concept works. I imagined Hitman S2 would have had bigger set pieces that are more complex, offering cool ways to accomplish things.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By uninspiredcup

Spoiler alert - This map making video is about map making, it will tell you how they made the map!

Loading Video...

Spoiler alert - This map making video is about map making, it will tell you how they made the map!

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#31 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

You should probably mention watching that will be filled with a ton of spoilers and if anyone who is not interested in that, should not watch it if they want to play and experience Hitman 2 without knowing all the "secrets"

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Jacanuk said:
@uninspiredcup said:

You should probably mention watching that will be filled with a ton of spoilers and if anyone who is not interested in that, should not watch it if they want to play and experience Hitman 2 without knowing all the "secrets"

Pretty sure if they have a brain they will be able to figure out a "making of map", will probably explain the "making of map".

Unless they have some issue reading video titles.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#33 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@Jacanuk said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Pretty sure if they have a brain they will be able to figure out a "making of map", will probably explain the "making of map".

Well, who knows what someone might think.

But posting a video like that without at least mentioning spoilers is just bad. Also, GameSpot has rules around spoilers if I recall correctly.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Jacanuk said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Jacanuk said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Well, who knows what someone might think.

Me, because I haven't played it as mentioned. And I assume people aren't dumb as rock as to not read the title of a video or figure out as the video goes it and clearly explains that it will be examining the map.

As someone who hasn't played it, and chose to watch it, nothing is lost, if anything, i'm encouraged to finally play it. In many ways - most ways, I should be thanking myself.

Do you actually genuinely care or are you just whining for the sake of whining? If it will put your fragile little heart at ease, i'll happily put a spoiler to it. for the community.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

9-10 hours seems to be on par for this franchise.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cloud_imperium
@uninspiredcup said:

Loading Video...

This was a brilliant level.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts
@Cloud_imperium said:
@kingsfan_0333 said:

You can turn them off completely. It's more fun that way. Way way way more fun.

do you think?

it felt to me like the game was very tightly designed around the opportunity revealing itself mechanic. with it turned on i was just going through the motions following on screen prompts. without it i was just wandering round hoping to stumble upon clues by being in the right place at the right time. as a world class assassin i expect a bit more of a game plan or key intel to act upon.

i liked all previous games including some of absolution (yes, i'm that very rare case of someone who didn't think it was entirely terrible), i love a good stealth game and i see the hitman episodes get a lot of love on here. but i just didn't get it. as a sandbox stealth game dishonored murders hitman before he's even had chance to put his hand in his pocket and pull out his silverballer.

maybe i missed something and need to give it another try