New GameInformer Reviews--Crackdown, Homecourt, Def Jam, and VF5!!!

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LakeFPownsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 LakeFPownsu
Member since 2005 • 1143 Posts
Wow, talk about getting a lot of reviews out early. I just got my new GameInformer and while I don't really trust their reviews, they have a ton of games reviewed that GS and IGN haven't reviewed yet. Here's how the scores went: NBA Street Homecourt was the game of the month and got an 8.75 "EA has taken some criticism recently for the declining quality of its sports franchises. However, when the company devotes itself to getting something right, like it has with Fight Night, it can still deliver some very impressive work. The truth in this statement is evident in NBA Street Homecourt." This game didn't get its GOTM for no reason; while the basic control is familiar, there's lots new. They loved the career mode, risk/reward dynamic of Gamebreakers, and said near the end "Although it's certainly challenging, after a few hours of practice you'll be putting Lebron to shame. For a pastry shut-in like myself, that's a fantasy every bit as powerful as anything in Oblivion or Zelda." Def Jam: Icon got a 7.75 "The improved career mode goes hand-in-hand with the game's amazing presentation." The career mode is good, and the way you can mix music to cause explosions and more is another plus so Def Jam rocks, right? Well, the one problem they talked about was the gameplay itself. The analog moves have mixed results and sometimes feels confusing. Also, recycled environments and repetitive battles start to feel like a chore. Crackdown got an 8.5 Bottom Line: "The experience basically boils down to the Incredible Hulk thrashing about in a kiddy pool. You have so much power and potential, but it's set in a shallow frame." GI loved Crackdown, from the incredible co-op to causing pure mayhem all over the city. They also said the achievements are the best since Dead Rising, including juggling corpses, vehicular acrobatics, and rampaging. Overall, what was expected. Virtua Fighter 5 got an 8 "I am extremely disappointed with this by-the-numbers port of the fantastic arcade game." They said fans will enjoy it but it feels like a port with better graphics and no online play hurts the game lots. However, while not very innovative, the character creation system and the Quest mode were both great. Bullet Witch got a 6.5 "I see some enemies, and aI shoot them with my gun. Then I hit a barrier. I run around searching for enemies to shoot so the barrier disappears. Sometimes I fight a boss." That's how GI says the game plays like. The game has a terrible magic system and a combat interface that's not intuitive. "As it is, there is so much mindless shooting and wandering in Bullet Witch that when you actually feel like you're having fun, it feels accidental." MLB 2k7 (no other reviews out) 8.5 discuss, that's a lot of games to be reviewed this early, but I guess GameInformer was on top of it. How do you think these reviews will match up to GS and IGN's?
d-suhiti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 d-suhiti
Member since 2004 • 2593 Posts
:lol: at VF5
supersaiyan039

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 supersaiyan039
Member since 2006 • 927 Posts
no def jam how could you get a low score but the demos great.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
I knew Bullet Witch was teh floppage....I bet Crackdown gets AAA here.
Shadow_op

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Shadow_op
Member since 2006 • 4566 Posts
So we were right on Crackdown! Haters owned=612
DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DementedDragon
Member since 2003 • 5095 Posts

VF5 received an 8/10?  :shock: 

I sure would like to know what was said about it.

Imallvol7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Imallvol7
Member since 2003 • 7566 Posts
Wow, maybe this NBA Street will make me like the series again (VOL 3 made me furious). I hope VF5 is better than that.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
I think we all knew bullet witch was going to be junk.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
[QUOTE="Shadow_op"]So we were right on Crackdown! Haters owned=612

What's 612?
LakeFPownsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LakeFPownsu

VF5 received an 8/10?  :shock: 

I sure would like to know what was said about it.

DementedDragon
They basically said that it was good and that fans will like it but no online play kills it. They also said it just wasn't very innovative and pretty graphics couldn't save it.
genfuyung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 genfuyung
Member since 2005 • 2189 Posts
any way you could post what the reviews actually say?
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
I beat crackdown got 5 points more then vf5 because its a sandbox game.
ZeldaMaster32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 ZeldaMaster32
Member since 2005 • 9263 Posts
I may rent Bullet Witch. It looks like fun to me at least.
MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

Oh NOES!!!!! Teh floppage is real! Cant wait to get my issue of GI.

DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DementedDragon

They basically said that it was good and that fans will like it but no online play kills it. They also said it just wasn't very innovative and pretty graphics couldn't save it.LakeFPownsu

I had a feeling someone would take off a lot of points for the lack of online; and I wonder what type of innovation they expect from an established fighter.  But oh well, i'll live.

mastarifla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mastarifla
Member since 2005 • 2448 Posts
Aww Saints Row got a higher score than Crackdown?!? Thats a darn shame... ( 8.75 to 8.5 ) Hmm I guess I will have to read the review myself...
LakeFPownsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LakeFPownsu
any way you could post what the reviews actually say?genfuyung
I think I'll post some quick summaries on the first page once I read all the reviews.
BigBoss5777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BigBoss5777
Member since 2006 • 569 Posts
:lol: at VF5d-suhiti
Umm CrackDown only got a 8.5 there buddy, so you can quit the laughing.. LEMMING
themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
As expected, no surprises.
genfuyung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 genfuyung
Member since 2005 • 2189 Posts
[QUOTE="genfuyung"]any way you could post what the reviews actually say?LakeFPownsu
I think I'll post some quick summaries on the first page once I read all the reviews.

thanks
Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts
[QUOTE="d-suhiti"]:lol: at VF5BigBoss5777
Umm CrackDown only got a 8.5 there buddy, so you can quit the laughing.. LEMMING

VFA is been Hyped AAA, Crackdown AA, He can laugh as much as he wants.
laus_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 laus_basic
Member since 2002 • 8300 Posts
bah! still no Sonic Secret Rings review
Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

[QUOTE="BigBoss5777"][QUOTE="d-suhiti"]:lol: at VF5Marka1700

Plus lemmings are getting VF5 anyway...

protoman170776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 protoman170776
Member since 2006 • 135 Posts
I thought that GameInformer comes every 17. Why didnt i get one??
Avatar image for deactivated-5d560a230ad3c
deactivated-5d560a230ad3c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 deactivated-5d560a230ad3c
Member since 2004 • 1546 Posts

Wow, talk about getting a lot of reviews out early. I just got my new GameInformer and while I don't really trust their reviews, they have a ton of games reviewed that GS and IGN haven't reviewed yet. Here's how the scores went: NBA Street Homecourt was the game of the month and got an 8.75 "EA has taken some criticism recently for the declining quality of its sports franchises. However, when the company devotes itself to getting something right, like it has with Fight Night, it can still deliver some very impressive work. The truth in this statement is evident in NBA Street Homecourt." This game didn't get its GOTM for no reason; while the basic control is familiar, there's lots new. They loved the career mode, risk/reward dynamic of Gamebreakers, and said near the end "Although it's certainly challenging, after a few hours of practice you'll be putting Lebron to shame. For a pastry shut-in like myself, that's a fantasy every bit as powerful as anything in Oblivion or Zelda." Def Jam: Icon got a 7.75 "The improved career mode goes hand-in-hand with the game's amazing presentation." The career mode is good, and the way you can mix music to cause explosions and more is another plus so Def Jam rocks, right? Well, the one problem they talked about was the gameplay itself. The analog moves have mixed results and sometimes feels confusing. Also, recycled environments and repetitive battles start to feel like a chore. Crackdown got an 8.5 Bottom Line: "The experience basically boils down to the Incredible Hulk thrashing about in a kiddy pool. You have so much power and potential, but it's set in a shallow frame." GI loved Crackdown, from the incredible co-op to causing pure mayhem all over the city. They also said the achievements are the best since Dead Rising, including juggling corpses, vehicular acrobatics, and rampaging. Overall, what was expected. Virtua Fighter 5 got an 8 "I am extremely disappointed with this by-the-numbers port of the fantastic arcade game." They said fans will enjoy it but it feels like a port with better graphics and no online play hurts the game lots. However, while not very innovative, the character creation system and the Quest mode were both great. Bullet Witch got a 6.5 "I see some enemies, and aI shoot them with my gun. Then I hit a barrier. I run around searching for enemies to shoot so the barrier disappears. Sometimes I fight a boss." That's how GI says the game plays like. The game has a terrible magic system and a combat interface that's not intuitive. "As it is, there is so much mindless shooting and wandering in Bullet Witch that when you actually feel like you're having fun, it feels accidental." MLB 2k7 (no other reviews out) 8.5 discuss, that's a lot of games to be reviewed this early, but I guess GameInformer was on top of it. How do you think these reviews will match up to GS and IGN's?LakeFPownsu

Well, just as I suspected...VF5 really doesn't bring anything new to the table...and I expect that GS will call it out on the floor for that as well.

LakeFPownsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LakeFPownsu
I hope I didn't put all that work of summarizing the reviews for nothing...
Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

I hope I didn't put all that work of summarizing the reviews for nothing...LakeFPownsu

I read it. Thanks for posting it.

Berserker_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Berserker_2
Member since 2006 • 5948 Posts
I knew Bullet Witch was teh floppage....I bet Crackdown gets AAA here.Spartan070
I'm still buying Bullet Witch. But I wish the japanese developers would get off their a** and make some AAA games for the 360.
miss_kitt3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 miss_kitt3n
Member since 2006 • 2717 Posts
For Gods sake, who does Sony have to pay to get a AAA rating?
Avatar image for Danthegamingman
Danthegamingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#31 Danthegamingman
Member since 2003 • 19978 Posts

I think he was laughing because its coming to X360 as well, but the cows are hyped like it is an exclusive.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
For Gods sake, who does Sony have to pay to get a AAA rating?miss_kitt3n

How about developers to make a good game?
DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DementedDragon

Virtua Fighter 5 got an 8
"I am extremely disappointed with this by-the-numbers port of the fantastic arcade game." They said fans will enjoy it but it feels like a port with better graphics and no online play hurts the game lots. However, while not very innovative, the character creation system and the Quest mode were both great.

For f*%ks sake!  All VF games are ports from the arcade, what did they expect?  Grrrrrrrrrr.

*goes to happy place*

SupraGT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#34 SupraGT
Member since 2003 • 8150 Posts

"I am extremely disappointed with this by-the-numbers port of the fantastic arcade game." They said fans will enjoy it but it feels like a port with better graphics and no online play hurts the game lots. However, while not very innovative, the character creation system and the Quest mode were both great.

For f*%ks sake!  All VF games are ports from the arcade, what did they expect?  Grrrrrrrrrr.

*goes to happy place*

matter of fact, all fighting games that came from the arcades are ports..

DementedDragon
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
If VF5 doesn't go AAA here it better at least get a 8.9. I really don't wanna hear Reoman flood the forums even though I really like DOA.
LakeFPownsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LakeFPownsu

*goes to happy place*

DementedDragon
That's a great point, and it's also fair to note that GameInformer is wrong on lots of things.
D0wnfall1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 D0wnfall1
Member since 2006 • 1363 Posts
How did garbage like Crackdown get an 8.5? Probably 3 points higher just for having the H3 beta.
StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 StarFoxCOM
Member since 2006 • 5605 Posts
:lol: at VF5d-suhiti
Umm 8.0 is a great score
StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 StarFoxCOM

[QUOTE="Marka1700"][QUOTE="BigBoss5777"][QUOTE="d-suhiti"]:lol: at VF5Strakha

Agreed i'm not a fanboy but Microsoft's getting VF 5 and Now all Lemmings are like PS3 fanboys just got owned Yeah guess what Lemmings your getting it too.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
How did garbage like Crackdown get an 8.5? Probably 3 points higher just for having the H3 beta. D0wnfall1
Because the game is great! :)
shaggymcp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 shaggymcp
Member since 2003 • 2896 Posts
:D @ def jam.... make crap, and it gets scored crap :lol:
Avatar image for realityillusion
realityillusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 realityillusion
Member since 2006 • 1394 Posts
[QUOTE="D0wnfall1"]How did garbage like Crackdown get an 8.5? Probably 3 points higher just for having the H3 beta. BioShockOwnz

agreed
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

That's pretty much what was expected of it......:| When Crackdown gets AA here, are we really going to have to go through all of the stupid nonsense of people falsely claiming that Lemmings hyped it as an AAA title even though there is a friggin sticky thread that proves that it wasn't? Lets put an end to this now shall we? It will save you from being brutally owned. Unless you are into that kind of abuse...
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
[QUOTE="D0wnfall1"]How did garbage like Crackdown get an 8.5? Probably 3 points higher just for having the H3 beta. BioShockOwnz

I have to admit, I'm having a lot of fun with the co op....And things blow up quite nicely, thank you....
pins_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 pins_basic
Member since 2003 • 11521 Posts
[QUOTE="Strakha"]

[QUOTE="Marka1700"][QUOTE="BigBoss5777"][QUOTE="d-suhiti"]:lol: at VF5StarFoxCOM

Agreed i'm not a fanboy but Microsoft's getting VF 5 and Now all Lemmings are like PS3 fanboys just got owned Yeah guess what Lemmings your getting it too.

That makes no sense, you act as if them getting it too is a bad thing.
turgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 turgore
Member since 2006 • 7859 Posts
I knew Bullet Witch was teh floppage....I bet Crackdown gets AAA here.Spartan070

Nah it's gonna get a 7 here because she looks hot.
StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 StarFoxCOM
:D @ def jam.... make crap, and it gets scored crap :lol:shaggymcp
Dude why is a 7.75 bad
Prid3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 Prid3r
Member since 2004 • 8643 Posts

Crackdown , Hyped AA , By Lemmings
VF5 , Hyped AAA , By cows
You , Got pwned , by yourself .
Prid3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49 Prid3r
Member since 2004 • 8643 Posts

[QUOTE="Marka1700"][QUOTE="BigBoss5777"][QUOTE="d-suhiti"]:lol: at VF5Strakha

not to say that , since it come out later , Sega might rethink about making a online mode .
project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 project343
Member since 2005 • 14106 Posts
Looks like Crackdown may pull off an AA after all. A lot of the reviews seem to be pointing towards a mid-high AA (thus not flopping). :)