NEW 360 WIll actually HELP PS3 SALES!! My opinion heres why..

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KodiakGTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#101 KodiakGTS
Member since 2003 • 1262 Posts
[QUOTE="asmallchild"][QUOTE="kcpp2b"]Just face it fanboys no one is forced to buy a new 360 version.Bgrngod

It's still not a positive thing to do to your fanbase.

While I own a Xbox360 and will be voluntarily trading up to the Elite, I would have appreciated it if they had released this system from the very start.

/agree I am curious if MS takes a "refresh once a year" approach with the hardware. Like will we be seeing another update in 2 years that adds an internal HD format drive or something? Will they turn the 360 into a PCish brand?

I really doubt that something like that would happen. I'm pretty sure the only reason this new one may be coming out to begin with is to match up with the IPTV service, and provide technophiles the option of HDMI. I will be curious to see the pricing of the current X360 models once the new one comes out, however. If they decide to drop the price of the other two (or one of the core is phased out), then it will make the Elite model look more expensive in comparison, but if they don't drop the price of the other model(s), there may not be a large enough boost in sales to keep the X360 ahead of the Wii (assuming Wii sales don't fall off near the end of this year).
ChiChiMonKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 ChiChiMonKilla
Member since 2007 • 2339 Posts
[QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="asmallchild"][QUOTE="kcpp2b"]Just face it fanboys no one is forced to buy a new 360 version.asmallchild

It's still not a positive thing to do to your fanbase.

While I own a Xbox360 and will be voluntarily trading up to the Elite, I would have appreciated it if they had released this system from the very start.

/agree I am curious if MS takes a "refresh once a year" approach with the hardware. Like will we be seeing another update in 2 years that adds an internal HD format drive or something? Will they turn the 360 into a PCish brand?

That's a good question. I think that's definitely a possibility. I don't particularly like that strategy as I'm used to having all my systems stay the same throughout its lifespan (see: SNES, PSX, Xbox) but from Microsoft's vantagepoint, it's not such a bad idea. Offer an improved product and increase the price too. Not a bad business move.

The next 360 update will have wi-fi and hd-dvd for only $500 in 2009 to continue the milkage and it will be seen as a great value lol. 

asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 asmallchild
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
I'd rather the hardware stay the same, and if they have to make improvements, save it for the next-gen.Bgrngod
I'd promote you to "head of hardware" if I owned a gaming company. :D As a consumer, that would be ideal.
Tasman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Tasman_basic
Member since 2002 • 3255 Posts
Games library still factors in strongly to a console purchase and with HDTV penetration still so low your point is only for AT MOST 10% of consumers. BR has no advantage on SDTV.
Ultimate_Peon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Ultimate_Peon
Member since 2003 • 587 Posts
The only way I can see this backfiring for Microsoft is if people continue largely ignoring the lower priced version of the 360, in which case it might seem to the public that Microsoft raised the price of the 'best' version of the 360 and might not want it enough to be willing to shell out the extra money - while not wanting the cheaper, lesser version because of its lesser-status - causing overall sales to lower (after current owners willing to upgrade make the switch) because of the perceived higher price point. The best the PS3 could hope for out of this would be for its own price to seem less massively outrageous in the face of its competition, though don't expect people to start saying "oh, it's only $600!".
JasonKim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 JasonKim
Member since 2003 • 296 Posts
all of you fanboys.. xbox ps3 or wii make me want to gouge my eyes out, do you guys actually believe in what you say.. like honestly.. sometimes the things you guys say are SOOO biased it makes me sick. People say ps3 will outsell just cuz of bluray, i consider myself fairly informed about technology and i still dont really know much about blu ray nor do i care at all as long as i see a picture that is clearer than vhs.. so i doubt people will be like omg blu ray i must have that! sry for sounding kinda ms fanboyish but what you guys are basing peoples judgement on is just not correct at all. By the time the new xbox comes out(endoaprilsupposed) the xbox since its had a head start will still most likely have the dominant game collection. One thing microsoft has goin for it is the fact that their newest most decked out system is still cheaper than sonys barebones system, but liek everyone knows the 20 dollar difference will make some people sway to sony for the "new technology" for only a little more money. But i feel that since the new xbox will have a 120GB HD and HDMI as well as the cheaper price, for a virgin gamer i would probably be more tempted to buy the 360 for its game library, price, and strong but not strongest technology, though for me its more about the games than seeing one less jaggy on the graphics, and xbox as of now obviously has a stronger library which would probably make me go with the 360 as of now. oh yea and all the fanboys who keep using the fact that ps3 online is free, if u really thing they are going to make home and all of its features free then u should probably say a curse word.........now.
thenorminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 thenorminator
Member since 2005 • 702 Posts
why do you people think that a new x360 is coming out? this new x360 is a April fool's joke nothing more. Why would MS sell a x360 120g HD w/ HDMI for $480 when a 20g X360 is $400? 
Uzburacuz9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Uzburacuz9
Member since 2007 • 712 Posts
X360 is a wannabe PS3. FACT.xxThyLordxx
ditto. funny how the lemmings praise it now but they all of a sudden have forgotten when M$ said there was no need for an hdmi.. :wink:
Uzburacuz9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Uzburacuz9
Member since 2007 • 712 Posts

I guess KeyWii would rather avoid me then admit he was wrong.

Well just further proof that KeyWii and everything he says cannot be trusted and that he's a 100% fanboy. Any adult would own up when they are wrong.

Like I said it's discontinued, maybe I'm wrong but you can't find it anywhere which is my point cause I can't find one in stores here unless they're just trying to sell it off to get rid of the ones hey have remaining maybe but still like I said FS and Bestbuy don't have one I can purchase and online shows only the 60GB version.

So KeyWii can you admit you were wrong on this, like you have been on many things? 

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25463134 

kcpp2b
dude..GIVE IT UP. that was DAYS ago. do you have nothing better to do?? now back to topic... I think M$ is creating a huge error with this new 360..and ALOT of confusion if you ask me.
Taiko88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#110 Taiko88
Member since 2004 • 1854 Posts
So if Microsoft releases this new 360 with HDMI and bigger harddrive, I believe it will actually help PS3 sales. I mean think about it, now a better 360 version will be $480.00, only $20.00 cheaper than a 20 gig PS3.  If you think about it, people will be more inclined to get a 20 gig PS3 then the new 360. While the new 360 might come with a bigger harddrive and HDMI. A 20 gig PS3 also comes with HDMI PLUS Blu ray and in the coming months the PS3 will have some great games. The average consumer that is going to spend $480.00 on a new 360 might think twice and think to himself "I might as well spend $20.00 more dollars and get a PS3 with built in blu ray player and already has HDMI" especially if the consumer is just looking for a gaming console and not a IPTV machine. I know if i didnt own either console yet and i was in the market for either a PS3 or a 360, I would choose the PS3 over the $480.00 360 in a heartbeat. Hell.. for $20.00 more i can get blu ray,, why wouldnt i?!? Oh and i forgot to metion, free online.BigBoss5777
Your Opinion doesn't count. However TIMES magazine has a great exclusive on who is going to win. /sarcasm
thenorminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 thenorminator
Member since 2005 • 702 Posts
[QUOTE="kcpp2b"]

I guess KeyWii would rather avoid me then admit he was wrong.

Well just further proof that KeyWii and everything he says cannot be trusted and that he's a 100% fanboy. Any adult would own up when they are wrong.

Like I said it's discontinued, maybe I'm wrong but you can't find it anywhere which is my point cause I can't find one in stores here unless they're just trying to sell it off to get rid of the ones hey have remaining maybe but still like I said FS and Bestbuy don't have one I can purchase and online shows only the 60GB version.

So KeyWii can you admit you were wrong on this, like you have been on many things? 

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25463134 

Uzburacuz9

dude..GIVE IT UP. that was DAYS ago. do you have nothing better to do?? now back to topic... I think M$ is creating a huge error with this new 360..and ALOT of confusion if you ask me.

well you do know that the new x360 is an April fool's joke

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#112 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Thats some really terrible logic and here's why.

The $400 Premium 360 still exists.

Besides the increased HDD space and the HDMI port, there's virtually no difference between them. Once customers compare the two and realize this, they can still opt to buy the cheaper version.

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts
[QUOTE="Bgrngod"]I'd rather the hardware stay the same, and if they have to make improvements, save it for the next-gen.asmallchild
I'd promote you to "head of hardware" if I owned a gaming company. :D As a consumer, that would be ideal.

Excluding hardware manufacturing changes though.... You have to integrate cost saving measures (smaller CPU's etc), but don't change any of the functionality what-so-ever.
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 asmallchild

Besides the increased HDD space and the HDMI port, there's virtually no difference between them. Once customers compare the two and realize this, they can still opt to buy the cheaper version.

The_Game21x
1) The system is purported to run cooler and have less reliability issues. As an owner of two previous Xbox360s that failed due to hardware issues, I would say it's a serious concern. 2) I understand price is a huge concern. But consumers typically feel that a lower priced item is lower priced for a reason. e.g. When I bought the Xbox360, I wouldn't even consider the core. Why would I accept inferior hardware when a better version is just $100 away? Same with the PS3. Why would I even consider the 20GB model when the 60GB model is only $100 more. I have a feeling this will hold true with the Elite and the Xbox360. Of course, this doesn't even take into account those Xbox360 owners who already made the decision to support the console early. Not a cool thing for Microsoft to do to its loyal fanbase.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#115 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
The new 360 could also mean a price drop on existing 360 models. In that case, I'll get the 360 pro over the PS3. I could care less about HD movies at this time.
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 asmallchild
[QUOTE="asmallchild"][QUOTE="Bgrngod"]I'd rather the hardware stay the same, and if they have to make improvements, save it for the next-gen.Bgrngod

Excluding hardware manufacturing changes though.... You have to integrate cost saving measures (smaller CPU's etc), but don't change any of the functionality what-so-ever.

Absolutely. I agree. I have no problem with a company changing the parts inside in order to cut manufacturing costs. I'm sure every console has undergone revisions to reduce costs. But the Elite does a bit more than just undergoing cost-cutting changes. Again, I understand why Microsoft is doing it ($$$ :)) but I can also understand why some early adopters might feel displeased at this model.
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

asmallchild
1) The system is purported to run cooler and have less reliability issues. As an owner of two previous Xbox360s that failed due to hardware issues, I would say it's a serious concern. 2) I understand price is a huge concern. But consumers typically feel that a lower priced item is lower priced for a reason. e.g. When I bought the Xbox360, I wouldn't even consider the core. Why would I accept inferior hardware when a better version is just $100 away? Same with the PS3. Why would I even consider the 20GB model when the 60GB model is only $100 more. I have a feeling this will hold true with the Elite and the Xbox360. Of course, this doesn't even take into account those Xbox360 owners who already made the decision to support the console early. Not a cool thing for Microsoft to do to its loyal fanbase.

I have to disagree on a few points. I am betting that the new "cooler" cpu and the reliability issues fixes are being carried over to the Premium as well. This is a typical manufacturing improvement that every console goes through. They find cheaper parts that do the same thing, and put them in to a new model number. Usually these updates are silent and the consumer has no idea that they have a different model then the guy who bought his a month ago. Consumers do indeed see a lower price tag and wonder why it is cheaper, but they also see a lower price tag and are happy to save a few bucks. The same logic goes both ways. Why spend more for a few little improvements? This whole "loyal fanbase" argument is hogwash. Just because people bought the product doesn't mean any company should be devoted to them, regardless of when they bought it. Early adopters didn't buy it in "support" of the console. They bought it to play games. Realistically anyone who does buy the product, whether it be in the future, or now, should be considered the loyal fanbase just for making a purchase. Late adopters and early adopters shouldn't ever be treated differently. Again, the Zephyr = IPTV + Xbox360. Premium = Xbox360. The Zephyr is pointless over the Premium unless you want to do IPTV.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 The_Game21x
[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

asmallchild

You make some good points, but now its time for me to counter them...

1) This is normal throughout a console's lifespan. The hardware is always improved as time progresses. The Playstation 2 recieved numerous hardware upgrades throughout its lifespan. Newer PS2's (not including the slimline) run cooler, much quieter, have quieter drives, built in IR ports etc. Features that the original PS2 did not have.

2) That is true. But in this case, the difference between the premium and the core is not as drastic. The Core unit had no Hard Drive, which is almost essential to the experience, it came with a wired controller and no headset. The Elite 360 just adds a bigger Hard Drive and an HDMI port, which aren't at all necessary to the exprience. But I do get what you're saying. I don't look at core's either.

3) Again, all console's recieve hardware upgrades and Early adopters are always screwed in the long run. It's just natural progression in this industry.

xXHackettXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#119 xXHackettXx
Member since 2006 • 3560 Posts
Why would it want to be in third?
ilovesnowboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 ilovesnowboard
Member since 2007 • 541 Posts
You are a pathetic and blind fanboy. FACT
insomnia37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#121 insomnia37
Member since 2004 • 1442 Posts

Talk about M$ back tracking! LMAO Just over a year and they have a new version alreadyLOL

Xlop180 is a wannabe next gen consol, the featues of the new consol should have been availbe right at launch!! It makes me think what did lemming spend $400+ on?? Well at least it still has custom face plates.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 The_Game21x

Talk about M$ back tracking! LMAO Just over a year and they have a new version alreadyLOL

Xlop180 is a wannabe next gen consol, the featues of the new consol should have been availbe right at launch!! It makes me think what did lemming spend $400+ on?? Well at least it still has custom face plates.

insomnia37

*Sighs deeply*

Fanboys will never learn...

rocktimusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#123 rocktimusprime
Member since 2006 • 3721 Posts