Name a big franchise you've NEVER played.... And tell us why!

• 99 results
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22685 Posts

Hey friends! I was combing through my recent purchases on steam getting geared up for what comes next after I finish out my first and only mad max playthrough. (solid game... Fun but nothing special. 6 or 7/10 is how I'm feeling.). Anyway, I think I'm going to play my first Yakuza game next... I've seen folks say to start with Yakuza Zero so that's what I'll do. I've never played these games and have little idea of what I'm getting myself into but I'm psyched to scratch off another forgotten ip off my list....

I've also never played a single Warhammer game. Never caught my eye as something that interests me

Ive never played a Fifa game... Someone kicks a soccer ball at me and I pick it up with my hands.

I've never played a Pokémon game... I was 19 when Pokémon came out. It's kiddie trash to me. Ninja turtles would absolutly murder anything Pokémon even in their non violent cartoons. Pokémon is eww.

There are others, but these popped in my head. So system wars, what are some bigger franchises you've never actually experienced? Why not? What would it take for you to jump in?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56110 Posts

For me, I never ever play a single Digimon game. (Of course, I'm excluding digital pet Digimon when that was still a thing) I was so into Pokémon Gameboy/Color games, I just never care for the Digimon games despite I like the Anime series when it came on Saturday mornings.

XCOM games, just didn't care for the franchise and I didn't see the appeal at all. And I don't see that changing either.

Never played FIFA as well Garrus. I just don't like Sport Games...period!

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#3 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Madden. Not a fan of gridiron. Don't like the stoppages.

WWE. LOL wrassin'.

Red Dead games. Not really a Western fan.

Uncharted. PlayStation. Kinda interested in the Legacy of Thieves Collection, but not yet enough to buy it. Maybe some day.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

A
S
S
C
R
E
E
D

Because its made by Ubisoft.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69488 Posts

I will take Madden for $500 Alex.

I believe I played a Fifa game sometime in its earlier years.

Gran Turismo demo on the PS3 for about 5 minutes.

I tried the remade Pokemon game. Can't remember the name but never played one prior.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5251 Posts

Grand Theft Auto: I do not like "mature" or "M-rated" games as I prefer family-friendly games. Blood, gore, excessive/graphic violence, sexual themes, vulgarity, drug/alcohol use and profanity in entertainment turns me off (which is why I stopped watching films and TV/cable programming years ago).

Persona: mature content does not appeal to me.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts

Pokémon. Never watched the cartoon growing up as I was too old back then, so I never got into Pokémon games either. Closest thing to it is when they're in the mix for Super Smash Bros.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1055 Posts

Farmville, all those gatcha games

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12960 Posts
  • FIFA
  • Pokemon
  • WWE/UFC
  • Street Fighter/Tekken
  • Rocket League
  • The Sims IP
  • Zelda

Why? Never appealed to me.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

Dark souls never interested me in the slightest.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheEroica  Moderator

@davillain said:

For me, I never ever play a single Digimon game. (Of course, I'm excluding digital pet Digimon when that was still a thing) I was so into Pokémon Gameboy/Color games, I just never care for the Digimon games despite I like the Anime series when it came on Saturday mornings.

XCOM games, just didn't care for the franchise and I didn't see the appeal at all. And I don't see that changing either.

Never played FIFA as well Garrus. I just don't like Sport Games...period!

I've never played xcom either!! Mod bros unite!

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11797 Posts

Well I never played Resident Evil until last week. I only ever watched playthroughs. The first Resident Evil game having a limited number of saves and having to backtrack to a place to save is what turned me off since I knew I would I have sink a ton of hours into the game to make any real progress. Which is what happened it took me 18 hours to complete the game as Jill. Finding out that Jill is the easier character definitely demotivated me from wanting to play the game again as Chris. At least not until a couple years later. But man it did feel satisfying to complete some of the puzzles without looking up the answers. This game reminded me of how much modern AAA games handhold the players. I went from being annoyed at Atreus in God Of War giving out the answer to preschool level puzzles before I even to realizing why there is so much handholding and dumbification in modern games. The early Resident Evil games really force you to turn your brain on.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6048 Posts

None of Fromsofts hack n slash games, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Elden Ring. All the same boring formula.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1055 Posts

@NoodleFighter: It's the tank controls and odd perspective that are an issue for me, so I didn't bother with 2 & 3 until the remakes. Walking around is OK but aiming up/down especially with the weird tilt, it's hard to know where you're going to end up firing. Shooting at off screen things is odd too. I also had issues with the first MGS.

Nice that you can finally enjoy it and get satisfaction from playing all these years later!

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheEroica  Moderator

@last_lap said:

None of Fromsofts hack n slash games, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Elden Ring. All the same boring formula.

My god sir you are missing out on the finest crafted games of the modern era. Have you gone mad!?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Never bothered with the God of War series.

A half-nude muscular man going on an anger rampage, watered down action series. Always seemed like a series for sexually frustrated teenage boys. Never appealed to me.

Icrackurnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Icrackurnuts
Member since 2024 • 60 Posts

Final fantasy bcuz it’s a jrpg

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pedro

@TheEroica said:
@last_lap said:

My god sir you are missing out on the finest crafted games of the modern era. Have you gone mad!?

That is grossly overstating.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6048 Posts

@TheEroica: *in your opinion.

Their last game (Elden Ring) was so well crafted that Namco had to issue an apology on Froms behalf (imagine leaving the publisher to apologise for your poorly crafted game) because the game was broken upon release on PC, and also had issues on console.

Well crafted 🤣

Some of us want to play more than a roll in attack, roll away to avoid attack rinse and repeat game.

If you like it more power to you, but let's no pretend it's the greatest thing since sliced bread or that people are mad because they don't want to play it. That's mad in itself to suggest such a thing.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#20 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41535 Posts

GTA. Couldn't tell you why. I love RDR. I like playing crime-action games (Saints Row, Yakuza, Simpsons: Hit and Run, True Crime/Sleeping Dogs) but GTA? You couldn't convince me to play it if you tried...

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9399 Posts

Yakuza.

I bought the collection a while back. Meaning to go through them, but time is the issue.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
@Pedro said:
@TheEroica said:
@last_lap said:

That is grossly overstating.

Those three games specifically are the definition of masterpiece to me. I haven't played sekiero nor dark souls 2 or 3, but those three were my jam....Pedro is not a fan of souls? I don't believe it...

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7271 Posts

Final Fantasy. I know a lot about these games from listening to friends go on about them, and I do like the idea of jrpgs, at least on paper. But back in the day I just could not get into "everyone stand in a row and wait your turn" battle systems. I've since warmed up to that a bit, and FF has moved away from that in recent years, but that brings us to my next problem.

They are just to dang long. My game time is limited at this point in my life, and getting through an rpg is a years long process of playing on and off. It's rare that I actually make it to the end. Maybe I could pick the best one and just play through that to see what all the fuss is about, but that brings us to my last problem:

There is no "best" Final Fantasy. For better and worse, this series has never rested on it's laurels and done the same shit over and over. It's always evolving, and each entry brings lots of new ideas to the table. VII has a die hard fanbase, and left a huge impact that reverberates to this day, but there are still many that will tell you VI got everything perfect, IV has the best characters, VIII had the most complex battle mechanics, X was the most epic, **** VI, IX was perfect. I really want to try at least one at some point, but I don't know I would even pick.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3056 Posts

Metal Gear Solid - I'm not a fan of stealth games. The crazy mechanics like Psycho Mantis, and the wacky characters/lore do seem cool though.

Mass Effect - I don't know enough about it to have real disdain for it, but the gameplay didn't look that appealing to me.

Elder Scrolls - The worlds and lore seems great, but the combat looks terrible.

Most sports games

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Robertos
Member since 2023 • 961 Posts

TLOU and UC, movie games are dumb.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

The Legos franchise. Never really got into them as a child and so they don't appeal to me now.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#28  Edited By dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15999 Posts

Assassin's Creed because it's too violent for me. I typically don't play extremely violent games. I don't make judgments on those who do play them, though. That's between them and God.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2465 Posts

@TheEroica: You were 19 when the OG GameBoy was out?!?!

And the first XCOM game is a must play... I would bet you would love it. It's difficult and chaotic.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#30  Edited By adsparky  Online
Member since 2006 • 2565 Posts

Mmm, I guess League of Legends, at least is the only big game/franchise that comes to my mind that i haven't played; as for why, It just didn't seem appealing to me, and i heard the community is one of the most toxics out there.

neogeo2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By neogeo2k2
Member since 2019 • 145 Posts

Final Fantasy

Grand Theft Auto

Never care to play those games

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11797 Posts

@girlusocrazy: RE fans that recommend first time players use tank controls are masochist to me. They say it is easier just cause the fixed camera changing angles throws them off. The problem isn't really that bad, you just keep holding down the analog stick whatever direction you are going and then just let go/recenter and readjust when you need to make a turn. I like how the fixed camera angles are used in some situations such as that 2F hallway with the mirror that shows a zombie in a reflection. It's the game's way of letting you know through the environment that there is an obstacle you can avoid or prepare for. I like the little surprises such as when I am going up the stairs from the 1st floor on the west side medical room and just as the camera angle changes, they show a hunter with its back facing the staircase which makes me either go back down stairs or try sneak past it.

I am currently play RE2 Remake. The unlimited saves makes me more satisfied knowing I don't have to do several long hour sessions a night to make any progress. I hate the dogs though.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2411 Posts

Gears of War and Halo are ugly.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5251 Posts

@ghostofgolden said:

The original GameBoy was released in 1989; the first Pokemon game was released in Japan in 1996, but the first international game was released in 1998.

Was TheEroica 19 years old in 1998?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheEroica  Moderator

@onesiphorus said:
@ghostofgolden said:

The original GameBoy was released in 1989; the first Pokemon game was released in Japan in 1996, but the first international game was released in 1998.

Was TheEroica 19 years old in 1998?

I was 19 most of the year in 1998... I turned 20 towards the back end.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheEroica  Moderator
@dracula_16 said:

Assassin's Creed because it's too violent for me. I typically don't play extremely violent games. I don't make judgments on those who do play them, though. That's between them and God.

Wait... God is going to shun those who play violent video games you think?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pedro

@TheEroica: I hope it is not the same god that told his followers to kill every man, woman, child and livestock.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34614 Posts
  • Devil May Cry. It's been tied to PlayStation which I've never owned. Thought about playing DMC5, but meh. Might some day.
  • Last of Us. Looks shit. That goes for most heavily cinematic games. Uncharted, God of War, etc. God of War I've actually played though, sadly.
  • Madden. I have no interest in sports (unless it's extreme sports), let alone a sport that's only popular in the US. This goes for many other sports games too.
  • Gacha games.
  • DOTA and clones. Forgot what the genre is called.
  • Total War, Age of Empires and other popular strategy games. Don't like strategy games unless they're light on strategy.
  • Rainbow Six. Not sure why.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Because... lol :P

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#40 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

Any of the Sports and Racing games
Dark Souls type of game with the exception of Nioh.
God of War series, never caught my interest,

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2411 Posts

@SecretPolice: Yeah, I watched the Pokemon and Digimon anime as a kid, but never got into the games.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts

Most of the big popular online games i havent played at all. Online gaming doesn't interest me in the slightest. WOW, PUBG, Battlefield, Fortnite, DOTA, World of tanks.....and so on. None of those. Not inclined to either. I did play some counterstrike decades ago but that was mostly against bots. Even the online play was very meh.

No interest in Madden or NFL. I did play Fifa once on the gamecube. Bought a world cup edition i think it was. Very meh. I do vaguely remember a very funny soccer game on the Nes way back when. You could basically foul everyone....including the ref. If you took the ref out it was complete chaos :D. I can't remember the name of it though. Rugby does not translate well to a video game. At least not a literal translation.

I have never played a Kirby game but the latest one on the switch has caught my eye. It's on the backlog. Seems like a fairly chill game. Wait....is Kirby a big franchise? :P.

I do mean to try the Yakuza series and some point. Also the Trails series (made by the same guys who make Ys i think and i do like Ys).

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8472 Posts

Apart from the live service and sport games:

Halo (Never looked interesting to me)

Final Fantasy (Actually tried 13 for 5 minutes and uninstalled)

Elder Scrolls/Fallout (Tried Skyrim and F4 for an hour minutes and uninstalled them immediately)

Pokemon - Again never see the appeal of it

Persona or most other JRPGs - Have no interest in anime

Any of the older Star War games

Duke Nukem

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

I've been playing games for nearly 40 years and I've never played anything from popular franchises such as Kirby, Ratchet and Clank, Pokémon, or Smash Bros.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pedro

@CaseyWegner said:

I've been playing games for nearly 40 years and I've never played anything from popular franchises such as Kirby, Ratchet and Clank, Pokémon, or Smash Bros.

Not even Zelda, Halo, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty etc?

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CaseyWegner

@Pedro: I played all of those...just not the ones I mentioned.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pedro

@CaseyWegner: 👍🏽

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TheEroica  Moderator

@CaseyWegner said:

@Pedro: I played all of those...just not the ones I mentioned.

Oh.... My..... You're back. Are you the real Casey or the false one from a couple years ago?

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 CaseyWegner

@TheEroica: It's the real one. See my ridiculous post count? I was feeling a bit nostalgic so I poked my head into this place a couple of days ago. It's practically unrecognizable now.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Dark Souls, the learning curve/difficulty is not fun to me.