Multiple Game Developers Talk About Xbox Series X Huge Power And Efficiency Advantages Over PS5

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

Two developers went on a podcast to discuss the advantages between the two consoles and the take away from it was just how power and efficient the Xbox Series X is compared to Sony’s PS5.

The video here does a great job breaking down what the developers said and talked about during the podcast.

Basically they said the PS5 is just a 9TF machine. Confirmed that Sony was caught off guard by what MS was doing. Said developers are having a hard time using “boost mode” on PS5 because “smart shift” is not as easy as Cerny promised because of how “hot” the machine runs. They did say they have not heard the PS5 is overheating but confirmed it definitely run really hot and that it’s difficult to hit those high clock speeds consistently like Cerny said they could.

They said developers much prefer developing on the fixed frequencies and clock speeds of the Xbox Series X.

They debunked the misconception that the SSD in the PS5 could give it any processing advantage over the Xbox Series X. Saying that SSD is not nearly fast enough to over come a 27% power disadvantage. Said 3rd party games will definitely look and perform better on Xbox Series X. They even questioned if the PS5 can even do ray tracing because it’s going to need to use every bit of its power just to match XSX from a visual standpoint, where as XSX has so much over heat power that it can do so much more in terms of effects, ray tracing and of course steady FPS

Also said the SSD technology in the PS5 will never be touched by 3rd party developers and that yes, it will only be used to load what is on screen and not give the PS5 any graphical advantages. That is a fantasy and not a reality.

If you want to hear the developers for yourself check out the link below. They really go into detail at the 2:08:00 mark or about.

PS forgive any errors. I had to do this on my phone.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

This Boxrekt-level bad...

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#3  Edited By strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

I’m glad my plan consists of waiting 6 months after launch to buy a next gen console. That way if PS5 turns out to be an overheating lemon I can jump ship without loss.

I’m still leaning towards PS5 especially with PSVR2.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69466 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

It depends. Lets see how he responds to the counter arguments. LOL.

OP. We get it. The Series X is more powerful. Welcome to the start of 2020.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

People still watch these crapgamer level youtubers?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pedro

@fedor said:

Yep! That's how some manage to cope with their platform of choice even when its not available.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

@Pedro: True that. Still, using these low-level Youtubers is just sad.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Fedor

@Pedro: Damn, I thought they all died out in like 2016.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

Usual suspects in here with nothing to say. Sony couldn't copy this time, scattering like roaches in a NY apartment.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pedro

@lundy86_4 said:

@Pedro: True that. Still, using these low-level Youtubers is just sad.

I heard a saying "When they go low you go even lower." :P

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

lol...

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BlackShirt20

@fedor said:

Nope. I just prefer to hear actual quotes from actual developers. ;-)

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

PS5: The Overclocked 9.2tflops Console. That is so mean.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pedro

@BlackShirt20 said:

People put too much weight on developers. There are so much times in which developers spew utter nonsense. Crysis cannot be made for consoles is a prime example.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

@BlackShirt20: Apparently you didn't watch the video. One dev said the PS5 could outperform it. The other dev that praised the XSX is literally the same dev that made those comments two weeks ago who coincidentally hasn't made a game in 10 years. He was laid off by Sony years ago and now has his own company that has nothing to do with video games.

In other words hes an Ex- developer. You may want to listen to devs who actually have dev kits... neither of these do.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fedor

@BlackShirt20: Apparently you are part of the gullible audience for these click bait tubers :)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pedro

@r-gamer said:

@BlackShirt20: Apparently you didn't watch the video. One dev said the PS5 could outperform it. The other dev that praised the XSX is literally the same dev that made those comments two weeks ago who coincidentally hasn't made a game in 10 years. He was laid off by Sony years ago and now has his own company that has nothing to do with video games.

In other words hes an Ex- developer. You may want to listen to devs who actually have dev kits... neither of these do.

If you are talking about Chris Grannell, where did you see he was laid off by Sony?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

Look, if you're going to make threads like this, from either side, you are going to get rekt. It's just a given. The only question is, just how rekt are you going to get, and that depends on how you respond to the people rekting you.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By R-Gamer

@Pedro: He worked for Gurilla Cambridge which was closed down. They may have moved him to GG because it says he worked on KZ2 but he hasn't made a game since 2009.

What's funny everytime I see a thread about a dev praising XSX and bashing the PS5 it's the same guy who hasn't made a game in 10 years. He also hangs out on this Xbox podcast on a regular basis.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Cool. I’m not a playstation customer so it’s better for me when the XSX launches!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pedro

@r-gamer said:

@Pedro: He worked for Gurilla Cambridge which was closed down. They may have moved him to GG because it says he worked on KZ2 but he hasn't made a game since 2009.

What's funny everytime I see a thread about a dev praising XSX and bashing the PS5 it's the same guy who hasn't made a game in 10 years. He also hangs out on this Xbox podcast on a regular basis.

Then it sound more like he left than he was laid off. Laid off is not being transferred to another studio in the company. Also the information he is sharing is not from his experience but from people he knows that still work in the company. Your connections don't disappear because you leave. None of this validates or invalidates his claim.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Another shitty thread, yawn.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BlackShirt20

@r-gamer said:

Let me get this straight....... You want to discredit him because he doesn’t currently work for Sony? You think he forgot how game development works. just Because you don’t like what he and many other developers say?

I am glad you watched the video. Because you would know Optimus Code never said the PS5 would outperform the Xbox Series X in terms of CPU or GPU performance because of the SSD. He said that doesn’t make any sense, saying and I quote “That’s like saying did he hit a 3 pointer in the bottom of the 9th to score a touchdown“.

Here...... Go to to his Twitter

https://twitter.com/optimus_code/status/1253447253630599168?s=21

Like he said, the only advantage PS5 has is loading Into a game/game world. Will do nothing for graphic performance. Sorry buddy.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R-Gamer

@Pedro: Companies will often move members of defunct studios in order for them to have time to find employment. Not sure if that's the case or not but regardless everything he says is heresay from a guy who hasn't made a game in 10 years. Justin Schrier of Kotaku literally said the opposite based off his contacts.

Regardless the claim he made about the PS5 not being able to do Raytracing effectively is the opposite of what devs are actually saying that are CURRENTLY making games.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccftech.com/cosmic-horror-fps-quantum-error-to-run-at-4k60fps-on-ps5-with-full-ray-tracing/amp/

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Dealing gaming?? Absolutely no bias there lol

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

yeah this is basically the xbox version of all those boxrekt "tech scrub" threads

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pedro

@r-gamer said:

@Pedro: Companies will often move members of defunct studios in order for them to have time to find employment. Not sure if that's the case or not but regardless everything he says is heresay from a guy who hasn't made a game in 10 years. Justin Schrier of Kotaku literally said the opposite based off his contacts.

Regardless the claim he made about the PS5 not being able to do Raytracing effectively is the opposite of what devs are actually saying that are CURRENTLY making games.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccftech.com/cosmic-horror-fps-quantum-error-to-run-at-4k60fps-on-ps5-with-full-ray-tracing/amp/

As I have stated before non of this validates or invalidates his claim. You stated he was laid of by Sony which apparently he was not. So, you were attempting to smear to validate your disagreement with his statements. Which is not necessary.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BlackShirt20

@r-gamer: The heck are you talking about? To my knowledge this is the first time he has done any podcast. I understand you don’t like what he had to say. But to continually try and discredit him as if he doesn’t know what he is talking about or what he is hearing from many developers doesn’t disprove anything.

Everything he is saying is credible. Another developer agreed with him on all his points.

A better question would be, what did he say that you don’t think is true?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pedro

@BlackShirt20 said:

@r-gamer: The heck are you talking about? To my knowledge this is the first time he has done any podcast. I understand you don’t like what he had to say. But to continually try and discredit him as if he doesn’t know what he is talking about or what he is hearing from many developers doesn’t disprove anything.

Everything he is saying is credible. Another developer agreed with him on all his points.

Credible? Yes! But not necessarily true. Its still second hand information.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@Pedro said:
@BlackShirt20 said:

Credible? Yes! But not necessarily true. Its still second hand information.

frankly that was also the reason i made the thread about xbox's secret weapon. I see no reason why sony can suddenly overclock a hot potato, and xbox can't. This while xbox has been better at cooling for quite some time, and the xbox series x is a cooling monster.

This thread turns it around, according to this it will not be that easy to work with steady overclock,

it's not exactly the same, but the power difference is certainly amplified.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pedro

@commander said:

frankly that was also the reason i made the thread about xbox's secret weapon. I see no reason why sony can suddenly overclock a hot potato, and xbox can't. This while xbox has been better at cooling for quite some time, and the xbox series x is a cooling monster.

This thread turns it around, according to this it will not be that easy to work with steady overclock,

it's not exactly the same, but the power difference is certainly amplified.

If Xbox is releasing a weaker system it wouldn't really matter.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By R-Gamer

@BlackShirt20: The other developer said the PS5 SSD would without question make a difference if properly utilized. That other developer also has never worked on either a PS5 dev kit or XSX devkit either. CG also said he thinks the PS5 has no version of VRS because they haven't mentioned it.... lol really??

His comments on RT were also flat out wrong as PS5 games have been confirmed to use it already. And look at his twitter feed he constantly comments on their podcast. My problem is I've seen 4 threads talking about devs talking about the XSX power advantage over the PS5 and all 4 threads reference the same a guy... and ex Sony dev who hasn't made a game since 2009.

Meanwhile you have Jason Schrier who says the exact opposite... an Ex-Crytek dev who violated NDA and had to retract his statement and the president of Ready at Dawn all coming out for PS5. When we talk about dev reactions the PS5 seems to be getting alot more praise.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 R-Gamer

@commander: The Xbox gpu clock is fixed. They have the TF advantage there not going to overclock it now. The cooling system is finished.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BlackShirt20

@r-gamer: You haven’t answered my question. What did he say that is false information?

You act like he did nothing but talk bad about the PS5. He didn’t, in fact he called it a extremely powerful machine. But he was asked to compare it to the XSX. He gave his professional opinion as well as the opinions of his developer peers. The concessions was that the XSX is a more advanced piece of tech because of what it’s capable of.

Optimus Code did not say the PS5 would outperform the XSX. He only said in first party games Sony in theory according to what Cerny said could essentially eliminate all loading and have high res textures with no pop in like we have in GTAV.

If you go to his Twitter link I provided you will see he mocks a guy who think the SSD will overcome any CPU and GPU disadvantageous the PS5 has in terms of performance. News flash.... it won’t. He stated that many times. Even in the podcast.

So I’ll ask a second question. Where did he claim the PS5 can out perform the Xbox Series X in graphics and performance. And I will show you 3 different times Optimus Code says it won’t.

Lastly, Chris never said VRS is not a PS5 feature. He said he has talked to quite a few developers currently making games on the PS5 and they have not mentioned VRS capabilities. But they do talk about VRS on XSX. He said he finds it surprising that none of his developer friends or Sony have mentioned VRS. Which, if the PS5 doesn’t have VRS it will struggle majorly.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

So who are the devs and what games are they working on?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pedro

@drlostrib said:

So who are the devs and what games are they working on?

They are working on magical games. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-62825bb2ccdb4
deactivated-62825bb2ccdb4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-62825bb2ccdb4
Member since 2003 • 666 Posts

In short its not surprising. The SSD can only load things quickly. It does not render or draw so of course its not comparable to a GPU. He did make a point that faster streaming will improve LOD so thats a great bonus.

If you don't know who they are you can google the Dev's background etc....

Heat is going to really hurt the PS5.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pedro

@ttboy said:

In short its not surprising. The SSD can only load things quickly. It does not render or draw so of course its not comparable to a GPU. He did make a point that faster streaming will improve LOD so thats a great bonus.

If you don't know who they are you can google the Dev's background etc....

Heat is going to really hurt the PS5.

You are basing this on what?

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BlackShirt20

@Pedro: based off one of the developers. Chris said from what he is hearing and has asked the PS5 doesn’t overheat like reported a week ago. But said they do say the machine runs “really hot” and they do wonder if the machine can withstand the temperatures it runs for 4 or 5 years.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@BlackShirt20:

All this crap is based on a so call ex Sony guy who make this comment on Xbox podcast.🤷

My god is 18% stop now so you don't have to change accounts latter on when the gap turn to be minimal.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pedro

@BlackShirt20 said:

@Pedro: based off one of the developers. Chris said from what he is hearing and has asked the PS5 doesn’t overheat like reported a week ago. But said they do say the machine runs “really hot” and they do wonder if the machine can withstand the temperatures it runs for 4 or 5 years.

That is just hearsay, which hold no value. You cannot state it as a known issue when there is no evidence of such a claim.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pedro

@tormentos said:

@BlackShirt20:

All this crap is based on a so call ex Sony guy who make this comment on Xbox podcast.🤷

My god is 18% stop now so you don't have to change accounts latter on when the gap turn to be minimal.

Do you have evidence that the difference is 18%?

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By R-Gamer

@BlackShirt20: He said he thought the XSX would be the only console to handle real time ray tracing... hes factually wrong. Devs had said they have already implemented it into their games on PS5 already.

Higher res textures with no pop in is a graphical feature. It's an area the PS5 should have an advantage. And no GTA 5 doesn't come close to that even if it did it's a remasterd PS3/360 game. Doing it on a modern game with extremely high quality textures is a different story. No I don't think the SSD will make it push higher resolutions and framerates but it could do better with lod transitions and texture detail and they admit that. Regardless neither one of them is a reliable source. They are not making PS5 and XSX games. I'm always wary of anonymous sources. Especially when Justin Schrier said the exact opposite in favor of the PS5.

And yes he thinks the PS5 doesn't have VRS or they would have mentioned it. He says that toward the end. This is on a podcast by the way that bashes the PS5 once a week with dealer gaming saying the XSX will have a 40fps advantage with better graphics on some games.. hes a moron.

_

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BlackShirt20

@tormentos: I have 2 credible developers say the GPU power is 30%. I will take there word over yours. Especially when I hear them say that “Smart Shift” is not working as smoothly as Cerny promised because of the heat the PS5 runs at. Sorry Tormentos. Even DF said the PS5 GPU is a 9TF GPU overclocked.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@BlackShirt20:

""based off one of the developers. Chris said from what he is hearing and has asked the PS5 doesn’t overheat like reported a week ago.""

That shit came from windows central,and the ex Sony guy doesn't have a PS5 Dev kit admitted by him self,he claimed the PS5 could not do raytracing then backtracked it was posted on Resetera and all this shit is been spew on a Xbox podcast of all places.

So the rumors about heat and power difference come from 2 MS loving sites basically,apparently MS dollars at work.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Thread successful because tormys here LOL.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By R-Gamer

@BlackShirt20: Optimus code never said 30%. And the fact CG said 30% shows he just lost all cred when DF said not one dev they talked to has throttled the GPU which means its about 17%. The PS5 gpu even when throttled would never drop down to 9 2 tf.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20104 Posts

@Pedro said:
@BlackShirt20 said:

People put too much weight on developers. There are so much times in which developers spew utter nonsense. Crysis cannot be made for consoles is a prime example.

Remember that one dev that said DX12 for Xbox One was like giving it another GPU?

Or all those devs talking about Cell power for PS3 like it was a super computer?

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BlackShirt20

@r-gamer: Where did he say the PS5 is not capable of really time ray tracing? Again, you’re making things up. You didn’t listen to what was said. He said the PS5 is extremely limited to what it can do with real time ray tracing because it lacks the necessary CU cores to do ray tracing and maintain clocks. So stop. I shouldn’t have to hold your hand to go over this.

Again, he never said VRS is not available on PS5. Xbox announced VRS ages ago. What does Sony benefit from hiding that feature? DF pushed Cerny on VRS and he wouldn’t comment. So I’m sorry, but it is possible that VRS is not available on PS5. All Chris said is none of the developers working on PS5 right now have told him it has VRS.

Lastly, You pick and choose what you want to hear. So I doubt you listened at all. Optimus Code said when asked about the SSD said if Cerny is right. You completely eliminate pop in. That in Sony’s first party games, they would essentially have high resolution textures most of if not all the time. But he clarified.............. Go to the 2:29:00 mark

https://youtu.be/bkMiMk0oH6Q

They ask Optimus Code “If the SSD is shooting that information out to the ram quicker, CPU, GPU. If all that processing is quickened, they can redesign how they develop games from the ground up with that bandwidth. Yes you would see some kind of smaller performance increase (for the PS5) gain from that. That actually would be possible to my knowledge. But that not enough in the best case scenario and no one is going to use it (meaning 3rd party developers)?

Optimus Code reply “Only first party could use it. I’m not even sure it would be a gain (in performance), because that data is still loaded still needs to be processed by the CPU and GPU, and so we need to make sure that it’s synergy of the entire system working together. Right now we just have a bunch of talk on paper (specs), we haven’t actually seen it and I don’t know anyone with PS5 dev kits. I only know people with Xbox Series X dev kits. Chris said he is hearing things, I believe him 100%. But there is no such thing as it (PS5 SSD) will give you an advantage over the compute power of the X. I don’t even know what that means.”

Then Chris chimes in. “It’s not gonna push more polygons and things like that. You might see the kind of richer textures, all of that stuff is gonna be quicker, load pop in will probably be eliminated, but load pop will arguably be eliminated even on a 2.4 gig SSD.”

That SSD will not gain any performance advantage. That’s a pipe dream.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@Pedro said:
@BlackShirt20 said:

Remember that one dev that said DX12 for Xbox One was like giving it another GPU?

Or all those devs talking about Cell power for PS3 like it was a super computer?

RTS gaming context on crappy Jaguar...