Multiplatform Games on PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

I know this isn't the case with all multiplatform games, but some of them look no better on PC than on console. For example, I've played RE5 on PS3, XBOX 360, and PC, and the PC version looked no better than the console versions (though it did run better). My experience was the same with Dead Space. Would it cost these developers so much more effort and money to take advantage of what PC has to offer?

The following are screencaptures of Dead Space 3 running on my PC with all settings set to the max at 1920x1080. Look at how terrible the textures are. No PC game should look this bad. It's not as if my PC is a slouch, especially for this game.

My specs:

• Intel Core i7 920 Quad Core
  • Asus P6T SE Motherboard
  • 3 x 2GB OCZ 1600 DDR3 RAM
  • ATI Radeon HD 5870
  • Samsung Spinpoint 500 GB HDD
  • Western Digital 1TB HDD
  • Corsair 750 Watt PSU
  • Antec Dark Fleet Medium Tower
  • Asus 24" LED Monitor @ 1920 x 1080

kshx.jpg0dgu.jpgdofa.jpg

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

really? i didnt play re 5 on consoles but i played re 6 and dead space and when i played them on pc i could see the differences by far.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

Need to take the fanboy goggles off to see the image clearly?

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

The resolution bump, FPS difference and AA make a huge difference for starters.  That's standard regardless of game.  

Lumpy311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lumpy311
Member since 2013 • 2009 Posts

Take off the fanboy goggles.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BluRayHiDef

Dead Space and RE5 looked like poop on PC. Neither game took advantage of PC's larger memory/ bandwidth, which resulted in flat, low resolution textures that look horrible at 1920 x 1080. 

Lumpy311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lumpy311
Member since 2013 • 2009 Posts

Dead Space and RE5 looked like poop on PC. Neither game took advantage of PC's larger memory/ bandwidth, which resulted in flat, low resolution textures that look horrible at 1920 x 1080. 

BluRayHiDef

Nothing but claims.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I used to be able to see the differences PC made around 2004-2006. I'm -6.25 in both eyes and am having trouble seeing any major differences now aside from resolution (amount of jaggies when AA is off) and framerate. It's getting to the point where I'm happy playing at medium settings for that extra 15 fps when I can't see the improvements.
guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 guard12
Member since 2004 • 2018 Posts

This seems to be a troll thread mates

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
The resolution of the image will make the game look better by itself, and that's before you factor in anything else.
bayboydray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bayboydray
Member since 2013 • 113 Posts
Multiplatform games are always better on PC even if you cant see it. I think RE5 was made for the console first anyway right? so sometimes the PC can only do so much..correct me if im wrong..
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

guard12

either that or the guy needs this glasses

106322317.u7h5InVe.DSC_0352RPBaseBigglas

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts
What a derp.
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

guard12
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Get a monitor larger than 720p

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

RE5 on the PC ran at 60fps at 1080p with AA. It didn't have extra graphical assets but the game had a much sharper and cleaner image while ruining at a much higher framerate.

This is often the case with multiplats. Some will be bad and limit the framerate to 30 and have horrible control options. Some times the PC version has more graphical assets and different rendering on top of everything else. Differs from game to game. In general the PC version is usually the best unless the dev really screws up somewhere.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Get a monitor larger than 720p

wis3boi
This. Ultra high-rez + 60fps? Orgasmic.
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

They look different to me. Especially RE6!

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BluRayHiDef

I edited the OP to include screencaptures that demonstrate my point. 

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#20 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

You're using jpgs?O_o

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

If you find any game, ever, that doesn't look any better on PC than on consoles, it was a terrible port, AND you didn't turn the resolution up enough. Fact.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BluRayHiDef

You're using jpgs?O_o

mitu123

Yes; BMP take too long to load for some people, so I decided to be considerate and use JPGs. It's not as if JPGs are appreciatively lower in quality; I wear glasses and don't notice any difference.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Resident Evil 5?

Gotta be joking. I distinctly remember being blown away by it with a Radeon 5770 compared to the Xbox 360. Then I got a 7850 and maxed it out completely, visually it was much better. 

Not really interested in the whole pixel counting thing - but when you're watching the PC version being played on a capable graphics card it looks well and truly above and beyond the Xbox 360 version. 

MSXBOX4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MSXBOX4EVER
Member since 2012 • 604 Posts

TC I only notice this on the Wii U version of multiplats compared to PC. PC just can't keep up without a controller with an integrated second screen. See - Trine 2. 

:cool:

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Resident Evil 5?

Gotta be joking. I distinctly remember being blown away by it with a Radeon 5770 compared to the Xbox 360. Then I got a 7850 and maxed it out completely, visually it was much better. 

Not really interested in the whole pixel counting thing - but when you're watching the PC version being played on a capable graphics card it looks well and truly above and beyond the Xbox 360 version. 

psymon100

RE5 has the exact same assets in all versions. Only the resolution and framerate is different, I think it even had MSAA on consoles.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

RE5 has the exact same assets in all versions. Only the resolution and framerate is different, I think it even had MSAA on consoles.

glez13

That's all fine, and that's all compatible with what I'm saying. RE5 a 5770 vs an Xbox 360, I've seen it with my own eyes simultaneously on two of the exact same model televisions - PC version looks obviously superior. Even if all the differences are coming from resolution and frame rate, looks are a subjective thing and I certainly noticed a big boost. 

But certainly if one were comparing screenshots of one to screenshots of the other, ah well the differences might not appear so apparent. 

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

wat

Even Dark Souls looks visibly better than console versions, and the DSFix doesn't help your argument none. Durr

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

The non gamer equalivilant of bragging about how awesome your pc's graphics are compared to console versions.

Sweet-Truck-Small-Dick_thumb.jpg

But seriously. Who cares? Besides you of course.

Dishonored won a ton of awards and praised for its gameplay mechanics, story, morla choices, voice acting, fun weapons and abilities. Nothing about its graphics really. Yes the PC version looked better but all of the reasons as to why it got so much praise stayed exactly the same no matter if you play it on a ps3 or a pc. Same thing with walking, loved for its characters and story, didnt matter to anyone if the PC version looked better.

Good graphics do not equal good game. Well, unless your crytek then all you have is good graphics.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
Even when the PC version has the same assets and textures as the console version it still has a much higher resolution, AA, and AF. Making the image sharper, clearer, and generally better looking. One has to be blind not to see the difference. Also, the screenshots you posted are low res and very blurry. The game looks much better than this..
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I used to be able to see the differences PC made around 2004-2006. I'm -6.25 in both eyes and am having trouble seeing any major differences now aside from resolution (amount of jaggies when AA is off) and framerate. It's getting to the point where I'm happy playing at medium settings for that extra 15 fps when I can't see the improvements.foxhound_fox

There really isn't a large difference between low and ultra settings in PC games these days. It really has nothing to do with your eyes, it's just the way PC games are now.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

The non gamer equalivilant of bragging about how awesome your pc's graphics are compared to console versions.

Sweet-Truck-Small-Dick_thumb.jpg

Dishonored won a ton of awards and praised for its gameplay mechanics, story, morla choices, voice acting, fun weapons and abilities. Nothing about its graphics really. Yes the PC version looked better but all of the reasons as to why it got so much praise stayed exactly the same no matter if you play it on a ps3 or a pc. Same thing with walking, loved for its characters and story, didnt matter to anyone if the PC version looked better.

Good graphics do not equal good game. Well, unless your crytek then all you have is good graphics.

Gargus

What are you talking about? People loved Dishonored's stylized graphics/art style. It was one of the things most commonly praised about the game. Oh, and there's nothing inherently problematic with the gameplay in a lot of Crytek games (not including Ryse, which we don't even know for sure will be bad); the gunplay was solid and enjoyable, just not all that unique or amazing. People just didn't like that they abandoned the open world element in favor of the more traditonal, linear corridor shooter style. 

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

[QUOTE="psymon100"]

Resident Evil 5?

glez13

RE5 on PC had DX10.
Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

[QUOTE="Gargus"]

cfisher2833

What are you talking about? People loved Dishonored's stylized graphics/art style. It was one of the things most commonly praised about the game. Oh, and there's nothing inherently problematic with the gameplay in a lot of Crytek games (not including Ryse, which we don't even know for sure will be bad); the gunplay was solid and enjoyable, just not all that unique or amazing. People just didn't like that they abandoned the open world element in favor of the more traditonal, linear corridor shooter style.

Yes a ton of people did love the graphics art style. Style has nothing to do with the PC somehow being better because its graphics were better. Dishonored had the exact same art style regardless of which version you played. City looked the same, people looked the same, weapons looked the same because it was the same art style. I really fail to see why you bothered replying to me because you completely bypassed my point just so you could change it entirely and create a argument that had nothing to do at all with what I said.

Yes, Im sure some people loved crysis gameplay but lets be honest, how many times do you see people talking about crysis that talk about gameplay, story, mechanics and such vs how many people talk about its graphics? There are dozens of shooters out there with vastly better gameplay that also have better stories, better characters, are more imaginative that just guns and aliens, better replay value, and so on. Even to this day people still only refer to crysis 1 when talking about graphics. The only time you really hear about 2 or 3 is the occasional graphics comparrison to something else. Far cry? No one talks about those games. Except far cry 3 which was not made by crytek. And yes ryse isnt out, but the only people you see talking anything good about is crytek themselves. All crytek has is graphics, thats pretty much it.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

You're using jpgs?O_o

BluRayHiDef

Yes; BMP take too long to load for some people, so I decided to be considerate and use JPGs. It's not as if JPGs are appreciatively lower in quality; I wear glasses and don't notice any difference.

needs_more_jpeg.jpg

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

[QUOTE="cfisher2833"]

[QUOTE="Gargus"]

Gargus

Yes a ton of people did love the graphics art style. Style has nothing to do with the PC somehow being better because its graphics were better. Dishonored had the exact same art style regardless of which version you played. City looked the same, people looked the same, weapons looked the same because it was the same art style. I really fail to see why you bothered replying to me because you completely bypassed my point just so you could change it entirely and create a argument that had nothing to do at all with what I said.

Not remotely true. Instead of the art style being ruined with horrendous aliasing, blurry textures, and low pixel count (ie lower resolution), the PC version allowed the art style to truly shine. It's like saying that looking at a painting on some shitty 720p monitor is the same experience as seeing that painting in real life. Powerful hardware doesn't make a game good, but it can allow the artistic vision of the creators to be more fully realized. 

Yes, Im sure some people loved crysis gameplay but lets be honest, how many times do you see people talking about crysis that talk about gameplay, story, mechanics and such vs how many people talk about its graphics? There are dozens of shooters out there with vastly better gameplay that also have better stories, better characters, are more imaginative that just guns and aliens, better replay value, and so on. Even to this day people still only refer to crysis 1 when talking about graphics. The only time you really hear about 2 or 3 is the occasional graphics comparrison to something else. Far cry? No one talks about those games. Except far cry 3 which was not made by crytek. And yes ryse isnt out, but the only people you see talking anything good about is crytek themselves. All crytek has is graphics, thats pretty much it.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#38 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

You're using jpgs?O_o

BluRayHiDef

Use PNG instead.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
[QUOTE="glez13"]

[QUOTE="psymon100"]

Resident Evil 5?

tagyhag

RE5 on PC had DX10.

It didn't change anything visually.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Some games look the same, some games look better. Some games look way way better.

All games run and load better.

Nearly all multiplats are better on PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#41 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

Even if the textures stay the same, full HD and 60 fps is unmatchable.

MoneySha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MoneySha
Member since 2013 • 209 Posts

I know this isn't the case with all multiplatform games, but some of them look no better on PC than on console. For example, I've played RE5 on PS3, XBOX 360, and PC, and the PC version looked no better than the console versions (though it did run better). My experience was the same with Dead Space. Would it cost these developers so much more effort and money to take advantage of what PC has to offer?

The following are screencaptures of Dead Space 3 running on my PC with all settings set to the max at 1920x1080. Look at how terrible the textures are. No PC game should look this bad. It's not as if my PC is a slouch, especially for this game.

My specs:

• ATI Radeon HD 5870
  • Corsair 750 Watt PSU

kshx.jpg0dgu.jpgdofa.jpg

BluRayHiDef

This is exactly what PS3 owners have been asking for 7 years...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#43 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

My specs:

• ATI Radeon HD 5870
  • Corsair 750 Watt PSU

MoneySha

This is exactly what PS3 owners have been asking for 7 years...

The performance increase of the PS3 over the 360 is negligible while the performance increase of the PC over those two is enormous.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

BluRayHiDef
I've never read anything so wrong in my entire life.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#45 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

WRONG.

99% of multiplat games run and look better on PC.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

If the OP isn't just trolling/fakeboying....

(which he likely is)...

I highly recommend seeing an optermitrist IRL. Not even messing with you or trying to be funny. :|

m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 m3Boarder32
Member since 2002 • 9526 Posts

My specs:

• ATI Radeon HD 5870
  • Corsair 750 Watt PSU
  • Asus 24" LED Monitor @ 1920 x 1080BluRayHiDef
I cant really tell a difference either and I have a GTX 670, and a 1440p monitor. I can definitely see why you wouldnt see a difference either.
m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 m3Boarder32
[QUOTE="tagyhag"][QUOTE="glez13"]

JangoWuzHere
RE5 on PC had DX10.

It didn't change anything visually.

BUT IT HAD DX10 BRO!
KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts
you are right, most of the time they look better on the Xbox 360.
m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 m3Boarder32

Even if the textures stay the same, full HD and 60 fps is unmatchable.

realguitarhero5
full HD is easily countered by the fact that most console gamers play on Plasma TV's than do PC gamers. Plasma easily makes my console games just as good if not better than PC games