MS responds to 48% decline in Xbox revenue. They say it's "Current-gen fatigue". Do you Agree?

• 60 results
BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll MS responds to 48% decline in Xbox revenue. They say it's "Current-gen fatigue". Do you Agree? (64 votes)

I agree, a 50% reduction in overall revenue a year and a half before a new generation starts sounds about right. 16%
I agree, I expect Sony and Nintendo to be experiencing similar drops in game revenue. 11%
I agree, current-gen fatigue is the main reason for this reduction 1ry 1/2 before next gen, everyone is waiting to buy for Scarlet. 6%
I disagree, end of the gen sales decline, but not normally by this margin. MS are over simplifying the reasons behind this drop. 20%
I disagree, Just look at the Amazon Prime Day Sales where Switch and PS4's were selling out and exclusives dominated top 100. 13%
So generations is the a crutch for Xbox failing sales to MS now? ? How bout, Xbox aint got no games and people abandoning the sinking ship. 34%

Never mind the MS once said they wanted X to lead the way to end generations...

Q: ...There was a very short gap between the Xbox One and the Xbox One S, and we're probably talking an even shorter gap before Project Scorpio. Do you see a future of console upgrades continually happening?

Is this the last console generation?

Greenberg: I think it is. ... For us, we think the future is without console generations; we think that the ability to build a library, a community, to be able to iterate with the hardware -- we're making a pretty big bet on that with Project Scorpio.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/17/microsoft-aaron-greenberg-qa-project-scorpio-vr/

...and haven taken all necessary steps to ensure their platforms within the xbox ecosystem don't have generations going forward, how can "generations" even be a factor when speaking on the performance of "xbox" revenue?

But this is their new stance on why xbox has seen a nearly 50% decline in xbox revenue: Seen below.

Microsoft attributes 48% decline in Xbox revenue to current-gen fatigue

Microsoft has released its Q4 fiscal year 2019 financials, reporting a decrease in gaming and hardware revenue as the end of the current console life-cycle looms.

Microsoft reported its Q4 results of fiscal year 2019, noting a decline in gaming revenue and Xbox One hardware, ***software and services***.

Gaming revenue declined 10% year-over-year (yoy) to $233 million, with Xbox software and services revenue down 3% yoy.

Xbox One hardware revenue declined 48%, primarily due to a decrease in volume of consoles sold. Microsoft attributed the declines to being on the late end of this console generation.

https://www.vg247.com/2019/07/19/xbox-one-hardware-revenue-decline/

Are they right about the reason for xbox's decline in revenue?

And are console "generations" even a thing for MS at this point?

And despite being contrary to what MS argued in 2016, will a new generation of consoles be all that's needed for MS regain their sales momentum for the xbox ecosystem?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

Box sure does have a lot of time on his hand...you would think he is getting paid with the amount of shit this guy writes...fvcking essays...lmfao.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@davillain- said:

I said Sony themselves, not Mark Cerny statement cause he doesn't work for Sony. Come on.

Your reaching bro Mark Cerny work for sony,and basically confirmed the shit MS confirmed on E3 before MS did.

Zen,Navi,fast SSD 8k 120fps crap all of it.

CookieCrumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 CookieCrumbles
Member since 2019 • 29 Posts

Microsoft needs to stop.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#54  Edited By sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

I think Microsoft’s lack of new exclusives and must have games are a reason for the drop. They know they need new 1st party games and that is why they bought some studios. But that will help down the road and not now so they have to bite the bullet for now. Sony continues to pump out first party games and same goes for Nintendo.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#55 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69474 Posts

@tormentos: Care provide a link from Sony officially announcing the PS5?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@Pedro said:

@tormentos: Care provide a link from Sony officially announcing the PS5?

www.playstation5.com

duh

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Who cares except shareholders and fanboys?

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#58  Edited By Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

With the next Xbox console arriving in November 2020. The Xbox one generation has been going since November 2013 so "fatigue" with this generation is a factor. It will have been a long 7 years when the Xbox scarlet/anaconda or what ever Microsoft ends up calling Xbox 4.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

The truth is MS 1st party hasn't released any compelling software so sales are down.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#61 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69474 Posts
@clone01 said:

Who cares except shareholders and fanboys?

Didn't you know that some gamers's enjoyment only comes from the perception that other people aren't having fun or company X isn't making as much money?