Most Overrated Game of 2011?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#151 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

[insert high profile game from 2011 here]

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#152 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49600 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

I'd say Gears of War 3, or Uncharted 3.

:lol: at the folks saying Skyrim. Delicious tears so jelly and mad by Godrim's success.

NaveedLife

I really do not see how someone could say Skyrim if they have played it for a good while. I am not saying its Godrim like you, but its an awesome game that is amazingly detailed and immersive.

Very awesome game, indeed.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#153 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Uncharted 3. That game was a mess.

Frostbite24

It was still a good game just no where near the greatness of UC2. A very large step back.

its the same exact quality imo. WIth better puzzels,touch up grapics and the story isint as out there.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#154 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Gears 3 hands down.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#155 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

BTW: Which hype are we overrating here?

Are we overrating personal, community hype or critical, just gaming in general hype because if we're doing the personal community then, yeah, Skyrim wins. Otherwise, I don't think Skyrim was the most overrated game.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="Frostbite24"][QUOTE="heretrix"]

Uncharted 3. That game was a mess.

finalfantasy94

It was still a good game just no where near the greatness of UC2. A very large step back.

its the same exact quality imo. WIth better puzzels,touch up grapics and the story isint as out there.

It is a little buggier here and there (nothing awful) and starts off slow (might enjoy it now having beat the game and loved the latter 2/3rds). And I believe they took out all the extras you could buy, like different filters, mirror mode, art, and so on. I also did not like the cheap blindfiring.

Aside from those things, the game is awesome and in many ways arguably the best yet.

Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Vraeth
Member since 2005 • 1208 Posts

Dark Souls.

9.5 for an RPG with a non existant plot and framerate that can drop below 10fps? Lovely.

Stringerboy

I guess Mario sucks too for not having a very compelling plot.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="Stringerboy"]

Dark Souls.

9.5 for an RPG with a non existant plot and framerate that can drop below 10fps? Lovely.

Vraeth

RPG is the key Acronym here ;). Most any platformer does not have a story that is all that compelling. But most every RPG has one and is expected to. I have not played Dark Souls, but I beat Demons Souls, and that game was underwhelming.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#160 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="Vraeth"]

[QUOTE="Stringerboy"]

Dark Souls.

NaveedLife

RPG is the key Acronym here ;). Most any platformer does not have a story that is all that compelling. But most every RPG has one and is expected to. I have not played Dark Souls, but I beat Demons Souls, and that game was underwhelming.

Action rpgs generally have a barely there story, but that's not what they're trying to do, just like the souls games.

Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Vraeth

[QUOTE="Vraeth"]

[QUOTE="Stringerboy"]

Dark Souls.

NaveedLife

It wasn't really until JRPGs that RPG somehow became synonymous for "AMG AWESOME STORY." Your good ol' legendary CRPG series' such as Ultima, Wizardy, M&M and Wizards and Warriors really had oblique stories.

Despite the DS series being I guess "Technically" a JRPG, what it really wants to be is a retro-WRPG dungeon crawl (This is a lot more obvious if you've played From's older titles like the King's Field series or Eternal Ring) + Action game hybrid.

But honestly, the game has more in common with the PS/GBA/DS Castlevanias than it does with traditional RPGs. They all have RPG stats/weapons/upgrades, they all focus on reflex/strategy gameplay against mobs/bosses, most of them are sort of tiered open world (as in, you can sort of go where you want at certain levels/areas, but at the same time the game has a semi-linear progression due to door locks, etc.) and they all have mediocre stories at best.

EDIT: Forgot to end my first section.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#162 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14421 Posts

Dark Souls

Skyrim

deux ex human revolution

The Witcher 2

Bastion

Every JRPG

Modern Warfare 3/Battlefield 3.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#163 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Dark Souls and Deus Ex.

Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Vraeth

Dark Souls

Skyrim

deux ex human revolution

The Witcher 2

Bastion

Every JRPG

speedfreak48t5p

And your go to game is Gears 3?

Really?

Reeeeeaaaaaaaallly?

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
skyrim
Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Vraeth

skyrimLed_poison

You gave BG2 a 1.5/10.

Opinion invalid.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Skyrim, as a whole, is a huge accomplishment of a game and is very impressive. However, it literally does nothing well, everything about the game is mediocre.
Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Vraeth

Skyrim, as a whole, is a huge accomplishment of a game and is very impressive. However, it literally does nothing well, everything about the game is mediocre. meetroid8

Greater than the sum of its parts.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#169 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"] :lol: Resistance 3 has in no way or form been blown out of proportion by this board.Animal-Mother

I'm talking about reviews.

How is it overrated it has an 8.5 and an 83 on the critic. Thats standard fair for most decent games.

It deserves lower than that.

speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 speedfreak48t5p

[QUOTE="speedfreak48t5p"]

Dark Souls

Skyrim

deux ex human revolution

The Witcher 2

Bastion

Every JRPG

Vraeth

And your go to game is Gears 3?

Really?

Reeeeeaaaaaaaallly?

U mad?

Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Vraeth

U mad?

speedfreak48t5p

Uhno.

I'm just a bit surprised that you would have a list all those as overrated but not Gears 3. BF3 and MW3 I get, but the rest are as good or better than Gears 3 easily imo.

I used to like Epic games, and played a bunch of the UT series... but I just never "got" Gears, especially the MP outside of coop. I've always found it sad that Gears eclipsed UT.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Skyrim and Darksouls, If you combine the two games framerates together its still not the 30 FPS that they advertise.

lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]Skyrim, as a whole, is a huge accomplishment of a game and is very impressive. However, it literally does nothing well, everything about the game is mediocre. Vraeth

Greater than the sum of its parts.

i agree with that. but I still think its pretty overrated
Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Vraeth

Skyrim and Darksouls, If you combine the two games framerates together its still not the 30 FPS that they advertise.

crimsonman1245

1) Skyrim on PC doesn't have that problem.

2) lol complaining that framrates slow down sometimes on 6 year old hardware. It's not as bad as you're making it out to be.

3) As a guy who argues FFXIII is underrated, I find it funny that you would say those are the most overrated games due to such a mundane, exaggerated reason.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#175 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
gears of war 3. i dont understand how people can play it without getting some sort of a claustrophobic feeling from how sluggish all of those games are. if they weren't like that, they'd be alright games.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="mitu123"] I'm talking about reviews.

mitu123

How is it overrated it has an 8.5 and an 83 on the critic. Thats standard fair for most decent games.

It deserves lower than that.

hells yes to that! It's alright, but let's not pretend that the Resistance franchise is actually great

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#177 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Maybe Human Revolution. It is sad to consider that 11 years after Deus Ex 1 we're still not even halfway to reaching that peak again.
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#178 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

For me it's Uncharted 3 and Skyward Sword. They were toted as being such amazing games (so many 10/10s) but they were bland and boring to play.Especially dissapointing for me as I was a big fan of both series.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Dark Souls.

Stringerboy
So in other words you didn't play Dark Souls.
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 speedfreak48t5p

U mad?

Vraeth

Uhno.

I'm just a bit surprised that you would have a list all those as overrated but not Gears 3. BF3 and MW3 I get, but the rest are as good or better than Gears 3 easily imo.

I used to like Epic games, and played a bunch of the UT series... but I just never "got" Gears, especially the MP outside of coop. I've always found it sad that Gears eclipsed UT.

Just not an RPG guy. I do really do respect all the games for what they set out to do especially Skyrim and Dark Souls, but I just get tired of every "SKYRIM BEST GAME EVER" thread and Dark Souls vs Skyrim threads everywhere on the internet

MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 MW2ismygame
Member since 2010 • 2188 Posts

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="percech"]I liked Oblivion, but it definitely isn't better. Oblivion doesn't have the swag Skyrim has. Oh and I hate Fallout 3 and Vegas and everything about em. These games are nothing like the Elder Scrolls.MLBknights58

Well, you're right in that they are different from The Elder Scrolls.

Fallout 3 is worse than The Elder Scrolls because the world is so uninteresting.

Fallout: New Vegas is better than ever Elder Scrolls game because the world is so damn interesting, but the tight focus on the branching paths in the story, forcing you to commit to actual decisions makes for one of the best WRPGs in years. New Vegas is true role-playing. Skyrim is open-world dragon-slaying.

Interesting. I found Fallout 3's world so god damn interesting, it's probably tied with Oblivion as my favorite Bethesda game. The atmosphere of that world was incredible, and something about digging through an empty house, scrounging through the kitchen for food, while imagining a family of 4 sitting down to a nice quiet meal years before.. damn I've never been so immersed in a game in my life.

I found New Vegas to be actually more uninteresting than either Fallout 3 or Oblivion.

i feel the same imo fallout 3 was way better than NV and VERY fun and in depth, loved oblivion but sykrim even more
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="Vraeth"]

U mad?

speedfreak48t5p

Uhno.

Just not an RPG guy. I do really do respect all the games for what they set out to do especially Skyrim and Dark Souls, but I just get tired of every "SKYRIM BEST GAME EVER" thread and Dark Souls vs Skyrim threads everywhere on the internet

Oh please, that's just the community. I don't think your feelings towards games should be affected by people like "SKYRIM IS TEH GREATEST GAME EVAR!" or "DARK SOULS IS TEH GREATEST GAME EVAR!" If they're games that you think look good then go and give them a try and respect them for what they are and what they are doing (REMEMBER: Skyrim is trying to be better than Oblivion and THAT'S IT, that goes for Dark Soul's as well). Honestly, that's like me saying that Minecraft sucks because of the community. That's not the game's fault really, it's just the people and people do tend to have faults.

However, if you aren't an RPG guy then, hey, no problem. You enjoy what you will and we'll enjoy what we will. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 deactivated-61cc564148ef4

[QUOTE="Vraeth"]

Uhno.

Goyoshi12

Oh please, that's just the community. I don't think your feelings towards games should be affected by people like "SKYRIM IS TEH GREATEST GAME EVAR!" or "DARK SOULS IS TEH GREATEST GAME EVAR!" If they're games that you think look good then go and give them a try and respect them for what they are and what they are doing (REMEMBER: Skyrim is trying to be better than Oblivion and THAT'S IT, that goes for Dark Soul's as well). Honestly, that's like me saying that Minecraft sucks because of the community. That's not the game's fault really, it's just the people and people do tend to have faults.

However, if you aren't an RPG guy then, hey, no problem. You enjoy what you will and we'll enjoy what we will. :)

Dude

Minecraft LIVES on community, if it's community was crap, the game would be not be the phenomenon it is today. It would mean the designers didn't encourage a good community! Minecraft is a community game!

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

I must have forgotten that I'm not allowed to dislike something popular.

The amount of lols and :lol: directed at people who didn't find Skyrim to be amazing is a bit disconcerting.

Some people be mad.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

[QUOTE="crimsonman1245"]

Vraeth

Well, im not a PC gamer, but i did read that it requires mods for it to run like a PC game, a single mod improves it by 42%, the modder said that the programming in Skyrim is almost amatuer.

2) lol complaining that framrates slow down sometimes on 6 year old hardware. It's not as bad as you're making it out to be.

Im not complaining about small dips, Im complaining about a framerate that at times literally reaches zero, about quests that dont work, about screentearing, about texture popping, about horrible jaggies.

3) As a guy who argues FFXIII is underrated, I find it funny that you would say those are the most overrated games due to such a mundane, exaggerated reason.

You may not like the direction of FF13, but its got a ton of content, amazing console graphics and runs exactly the way its suppose to, locked 30 FPS, AI works perfectly, no screen tearing, minimal jaggies, no texture popping,no bugs or glitches, when the characters go up the stairs, their feet go on the stairs like a normal persons would, thats the amount of effort they put into polishing that game, Bethesda doesnt need to polish because they know fans will buy it anyways and make excuses for them.

Not trying to flame you or anything, but you shouldnt defend Bethesda's shady tactics.

Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Vraeth

Well, im not a PC gamer, but i did read that it requires mods for it to run like a PC game, a single mod improves it by 42%, the modder said that the programming in Skyrim is almost amatuer.

Im not complaining about small dips, Im complaining about a framerate that at times literally reaches zero, about quests that dont work, about screentearing, about texture popping, about horrible jaggies.

You may not like the direction of FF13, but its got a ton of content, amazing console graphics and runs exactly the way its suppose to, locked 30 FPS, AI works perfectly, no screen tearing, minimal jaggies, no texture popping,no bugs or glitches, when the characters go up the stairs, their feet go on the stairs like a normal persons would, thats the amount of effort they put into polishing that game, Bethesda doesnt need to polish because they know fans will buy it anyways and make excuses for them.

Not trying to flame you or anything, but you should defend Bethesda's shady tactics.

crimsonman1245

I actually like FFXIII.

I just thought that it was odd that you're willing to overlook some of that game's actual problems and think that graphical polish is the key to a game being over or underrated.

Beth games have never been polished, ever. FO3 was the closest thing that they ever had that came close to "Polished" for a launch, and it was nowhere close. I don't think that it's them trying to exploit consumers, I just think at some point they have to actually launch the thing, since testing large games like the ES/FO series' to a 0 bug state would take forever.

I didn't play Skyrim on PS3, though, so I can't speak for what problems it has--so if that's your experience I'm not gonna say you're wrong there, as I've heard it's pretty bad. Though, for whatever reason, Beth's track record (other than the upgraded version of Oblivion) has been pretty bad with PS3.

But Dark Souls? The game is pretty good for what it tries to do. Some of the PvP needed/needs to be fixed up, but that's just the nature of the beast.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
Probably LA Noire or Uncharted 3.
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#188 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

Probably LA Noire or Uncharted 3. HoolaHoopMan
Did L.A. Noire get a good reception? I thought that game was a dog's breakfast and got the impression that was the general feeling too. Such a swing and a miss

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

OB-47

Dude

Minecraft LIVES on community, if it's community was crap, the game would be not be the phenomenon it is today. It would mean the designers didn't encourage a good community! Minecraft is a community game!

OK, bad example...like...really bad example...it was all I was thinking about at the time.:?

Still, just judging a game like Skyrim or Dark Souls soley on the community (which I will admit aren't the best of communities) is just stupid. Judge the content of the character, not the trumpets that surround them.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]Probably LA Noire or Uncharted 3. Chickan_117

Did L.A. Noire get a good reception? I thought that game was a dog's breakfast and got the impression that was the general feeling too. Such a swing and a miss

It received pretty good reviews across the board, and while fun for a single play through, didn't warrant a 60 purchase IMO. If you find it for cheap, yeah its good, but the game just got pretty repetitive for me really fast. Reviewers seemed to rate it well so I guess that's why I'm calling it overrated.
DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

Never play Skyrim, though I doubt it could live up to it expectation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 deactivated-61cc564148ef4

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

Goyoshi12

Dude

OK, bad example...like...really bad example...it was all I was thinking about at the time.:?

Still, just judging a game like Skyrim or Dark Souls soley on the community (which I will admit aren't the best of communities) is just stupid. Judge the content of the character, not the trumpets that surround them.

Yes this is true. Though sometimes it can be hard to judge when your expectations are so high, it's hard to separate emotion from the analysis of the game. But yeah I get your point.

DJChuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#193 DJChuy
Member since 2010 • 1851 Posts

I'm going with Uncharted 3.

IMO, the gameplay wasn't good (gunplay was worse than U2), story was poor, terrible pacing in the beginning, lots of scripted events (there were like ten chase and walking scenes which was an overkill), lacking bonuses for the single player campaign, dumb AI, ended the same way U2 did which felt lazy, and the last fight was a joke. The walking in the desert part was one of the most tedious things I've experienced. You couldn't run or do anything except walk; they had you walking for more than ten minutes before it was over.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#194 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Even though Resistance 3 isn't that highly rated, the fact that it is even as high as it is is baffling, That game is terrible. Insomniac has truly lost their touch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Even though Resistance 3 isn't that highly rated, the fact that it is even as high as it is is baffling, That game is terrible. Insomniac has truly lost their touch

BPoole96

I thought the SP had something going for it in a way, but the gameplay was just pure stale. The MP, is shallow as hell, besides the unlocks (they aren't many) there isn't much reason to play it.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#196 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

OB-47

I thought the SP had something going for it in a way, but the gameplay was just pure stale. The MP, is shallow as hell, besides the unlocks (they aren't many) there isn't much reason to play it.

Yeah plus the ending was horrible. Some of the guns were fun to use but not enough to keep me engaged throughout the the game. After being disappointed by the SP, I moved onto the MP. Played about 8 hours of that over the course of 2 weeks and decided to move on. I would have traded it in but I have R:FoM and R2 and wanted to have the whole set even though 3 has completely turned me off of the series. I'll be surprised if Insomniac even bothers to make another Resistance game for PS3/PS4

the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#197 the-obiwan
Member since 2003 • 3747 Posts
uncharted 3 lul and skyrim is not a bad game but is not that AWESOME as it was implied
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#198 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23285 Posts

Honestly,from all the games I played in 2011 I can´t remember of a single one I would call overrated.

the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#199 the-obiwan
Member since 2003 • 3747 Posts

Honestly,from all the games I played in 2011 I can´t remember of a single one I would call overrated.

Arach666
whats your sig ? star ocean or something?
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#200 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23285 Posts
[QUOTE="Arach666"]

the-obiwan
whats your sig ? star ocean or something?

Phantasy Star 4. ;)