Most Overrated Game of 2011?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Silentj0ker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Silentj0ker
Member since 2011 • 94 Posts

You know usually I would of said Call of duty, but I think the winner for the most over rated and over hyped game goes to.... SKYRIM! Every game of the year award from every magazine, website and show is typically SKYRIM! and quite frankly IAM SICK OF IT! Dont get me wrong I loved the game, but come on game of the year? what about all those other games that came out this year? The Witcher 2? Portal 2? Dead space 2? Infamous 2?

anyway what do you guys think?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i shouldn't say it because i haven't played it, but i'll still say skyrim because good god, no matter how good the game is, people are blowing out of proportion. it could be the second coming and people would still be overreacting to this game.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

There will always be people who think every GOTY is over-rated, no matter what game it is. If it's not you, it'll be somebody else. There's no pleasing everyone when it comes to GOTY. Just get over it. It's already 2012.

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

It's because the Elder Scrolls does something very unique in video games: it provides as close to a living fantasy world as we can get.

It fuses addictive RPG gameplay with immersion, atmosphere, and a sense of vastness that you just can't find in most other fantasy titles.

What really gets to me is the infinite quest system. Skyrim is a game that never ends.

You could play it forever and still never run out of things to do.

-

I don't know. It fires up the old roguelike spirit within me. I love randomness in video games, and Skyrim goes above and beyond the call.

-

Are there flaws? Of course. Every video game has flaws. Is it overrated? To people who don't love it...sure.

But is Skyrim the most overrated game? I really don't think so.

There are lots of short, overly bombastic experiences that come out every year...experiences that get hyped to high heavens even though they pale in depth and complexity to something like Skyrim.

Like Gears of War 3 or Uncharted 3. Those would be better contenders for most overrated of the year.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#5 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

From what I played, Resistance 3.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

i shouldn't say it because i haven't played it, but i'll still say skyrim because good god, no matter how good the game is, people are blowing out of proportion. it could be the second coming and people would still be overreacting to this game.BrunoBRS

It is a great game. I am not going to say its some perfect, mind blowing, masterpiece that dominates all, but it is awesome, way better than oblivion, and worthy of recognition. I am leaning towards a 9.0. We will see though.

Most overrated game of 2011? hmmm, I cannot believe I am saying this, but maybe Skyward Sword.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Out of everything I played, it's probably Skyrim. Just didn't get into it as much as Oblivion, probably because it's not even as good as Oblivion. Plays the exact same minus the dual wields. Came into the game ready for 300 hours of gameplay, hardly got 75 across 3 different characters. I tried, good god I tried.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts
Most overrated game is mw3 I have been a hater on mw2 for a while but when you first play it at launch it had awesome wow factor and even black ops did but mw3 did not have this I felt like I was playing mw2 with a little bit better balance like seriously the devs were so creative that they even recycled the same menus. If games like AC revelations can have points taken from their score in a review why not mw3.... also skyrim ftw to all you haters. Also found this to be a shock I heard portal 2 actually won goty at ign which is nice to see considering they gave a crap ton of 10s last year and as awesome as portal 2 was it was not one of these 10s
GTerror666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GTerror666
Member since 2012 • 77 Posts
Killzone 2, Resistance 3, GT5, Unchartered. Horrible games.
Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

Killzone 2, Resistance 3, GT5, Unchartered. Horrible games. GTerror666

But Gears 3 was the bee's knees, wouldn't you agree?

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I vote Skyrim. I can't vote for a game that release in incomplete form. Even if the version I plan on getting runs fine. I can not ignore the fact that it is broken on the PS3. In my book, Skyrim wasn't even a nominee for GOTY 2011.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#12 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Apparently everyone liked it. So, I dunno, I guess it's good until I play it for myself and find out.

princemarth23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 princemarth23
Member since 2005 • 9229 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i shouldn't say it because i haven't played it, but i'll still say skyrim because good god, no matter how good the game is, people are blowing out of proportion. it could be the second coming and people would still be overreacting to this game.NaveedLife

It is a great game. I am not going to say its some perfect, mind blowing, masterpiece that dominates all, but it is awesome, way better than oblivion, and worthy of recognition. I am leaning towards a 9.0. We will see though.

Most overrated game of 2011? hmmm, I cannot believe I am saying this, but maybe Skyward Sword.

Well, some people overrated it. I love the game but it isn't a 10 and it sure as hell isn't a 7.5. I think it's a 9.

Skyrim is EASILY the most overrated game.

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

Hmm tough call... Skyrim felt like Oblivion 2.0 to me (imporved in many areas but at its core the same boring hack fest that Oblivion was), Battlefield 3 was Bad Company 3... Call of Duty was the same game again...

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Easily, easily Skyrim.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

Skyrim, Call of Duty, Uncharted 3, Gears Of War 3, Pokemon Black & White. Too many to list that were hyped to the heavens and back that didn't turn out so well or that looked like the same game with a new cover.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
portal 2. all the hype makes me not want to play it. especially since the first one wasnt all that good and overrated as hell too
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarkLink77

Gears Of War 3. Too many to list that were hyped to the heavens and back that didn't turn out so well or that looked like the same game with a new cover.

Calvin079

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Calvin079

[QUOTE="Calvin079"]

Gears Of War 3. Too many to list that were hyped to the heavens and back that didn't turn out so well or that looked like the same game with a new cover.

DarkLink77

No amount of spluttering rage or disappoint looks are going to get me to change that opinion.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="Calvin079"]

Calvin079

No amount of spluttering rage or disappoint looks are going to get me to change that opinion.

I really don't understand how you can come to that conclusion. It's better than Gears 2 and the original in every possible way. Plus rifles are actually useful in MP now so it plays very differently.

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
Get on the Skyrim hate train. It is easily the best game of the year and one of the best this gen. THere is nothing out there like it.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MLBknights58

Get on the Skyrim hate train. It is easily the best game of the year and one of the best this gen. THere is nothing out there like it.percech

Except, you know, Oblivion. Which is better.

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

Get on the Skyrim hate train. It is easily the best game of the year and one of the best this gen. THere is nothing out there like it.percech
Oblivion?

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NeonNinja

Except for every other Bethesda title (and one by Obsidian).

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mems_1224

[QUOTE="percech"]Get on the Skyrim hate train. It is easily the best game of the year and one of the best this gen. THere is nothing out there like it.MLBknights58

god damn, you can always count on SW to produce stupid comments like that
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 percech
I liked Oblivion, but it definitely isn't better. Oblivion doesn't have the swag Skyrim has. Oh and I hate Fallout 3 and Vegas and everything about em. These games are nothing like the Elder Scrolls.
Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Calvin079

[QUOTE="Calvin079"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

I really don't understand how you can come to that conclusion. It's better than Gears 2 and the original in every possible way. Plus rifles are actually useful in MP now so it plays very differently.

To be brutally honest I haven't played it. But from some post launch complaints I was reading about, the Lancer was still overpowered and the campaign endedweirdly. The MPmarathon that GS was doing didn't look too bad.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mems_1224

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="Calvin079"] No amount of spluttering rage or disappoint looks are going to get me to change that opinion.

Calvin079

To be brutally honest I haven't played it. But from some post launch complaints I was reading about, the Lancer was still overpowered and the campaign endedweirdly. The MPmarathon that GS was doing didn't look too bad.

:lol: the only people that complained about the lancers were noobs from the last two gears games that only used shotguns and couldn't adapt. i haven't played gears in a while but i would bet they nerfed a bunch of things because of those whiners
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NeonNinja

I liked Oblivion, but it definitely isn't better. Oblivion doesn't have the swag Skyrim has. Oh and I hate Fallout 3 and Vegas and everything about em. These games are nothing like the Elder Scrolls.percech

Well, you're right in that they are different from The Elder Scrolls.

Fallout 3 is worse than The Elder Scrolls because the world is so uninteresting.

Fallout: New Vegas is better than ever Elder Scrolls game because the world is so damn interesting, but the tight focus on the branching paths in the story, forcing you to commit to actual decisions makes for one of the best WRPGs in years. New Vegas is true role-playing. Skyrim is open-world dragon-slaying.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MLBknights58

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

[QUOTE="percech"]Get on the Skyrim hate train. It is easily the best game of the year and one of the best this gen. THere is nothing out there like it.mems_1224

Oblivion/Skyrim similarities checklist:

Generic towns? Check.

Generic enemies? Check.

Boring combat that will play out the same way every time? Check.

Boring scenery? Check.

Except Oblivion still feels 10x more fun than Skyrim ever will. The guild quests were longer, the world felt more imaginative to me, (inb4 LOL OBLIVION IMAGINATIVE FORESTS AND FORTS THE GAME) I could actually tailor my stats to my liking, the world felt bigger and more colorful, had some more interesting enemies such as the Daedra, Dreugh, Minotaurs and so forth. Skyrim has wolves, bears, sabrekittens, and A LOT of zombies, as well as... mechaniloid enemies? Sorry, I know they fit in well with the game world, but damn are they boring.

Matter of fact, I just realized I don't have to prove anything to you so I'm going to go ahead and stop my reasoning now. Lol at my comments all you want. ;)

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

It's a toss-up between Uncharted 3 and Skyward Sword.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="Calvin079"] No amount of spluttering rage or disappoint looks are going to get me to change that opinion.

Calvin079

Gears 3 was rated lower than both of its predecessors and won less awards but was verbally praised in almost all reviews as being the pinnacle of the series. I'd hardly call it over-rated.

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 percech

[QUOTE="percech"]I liked Oblivion, but it definitely isn't better. Oblivion doesn't have the swag Skyrim has. Oh and I hate Fallout 3 and Vegas and everything about em. These games are nothing like the Elder Scrolls.NeonNinja

Fallout 3 is worse than The Elder Scrolls because the world is so uninteresting.

Fallout: New Vegas is better than ever Elder Scrolls game because the world is so damn interesting, but the tight focus on the branching paths in the story, forcing you to commit to actual decisions makes for one of the best WRPGs in years. New Vegas is true role-playing. Skyrim is open-world dragon-slaying.

Are you just saying that because Obsidian made the game?
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MLBknights58

[QUOTE="percech"]I liked Oblivion, but it definitely isn't better. Oblivion doesn't have the swag Skyrim has. Oh and I hate Fallout 3 and Vegas and everything about em. These games are nothing like the Elder Scrolls.NeonNinja

Interesting. I found Fallout 3's world so god damn interesting, it's probably tied with Oblivion as my favorite Bethesda game. The atmosphere of that world was incredible, and something about digging through an empty house, scrounging through the kitchen for food, while imagining a family of 4 sitting down to a nice quiet meal years before.. damn I've never been so immersed in a game in my life.

I found New Vegas to be actually more uninteresting than either Fallout 3 or Oblivion.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

[QUOTE="percech"]Get on the Skyrim hate train. It is easily the best game of the year and one of the best this gen. THere is nothing out there like it.mems_1224

amazing. you are a true craftsman. a retroactive comment that comments on itself!
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Skyrim fo sho. Boring game with 2 gen behind combat is far from GOTY worthy.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="percech"]I liked Oblivion, but it definitely isn't better. Oblivion doesn't have the swag Skyrim has. Oh and I hate Fallout 3 and Vegas and everything about em. These games are nothing like the Elder Scrolls.percech

Are you just saying that because Obsidian made the game?

Nope.

It's the only Obsidian game I've ever played so I don't know what their other games are like. All i know is it has better writing, plot, characters, atmosphere, charm, etc than any Bethesda title I've played. Bethesda games are fun too (except for Fallout 3, that one sucks), but the writing is generally poor and the role-playing is minimal and doesn't force you to make choices. Well, The Elder Scrolls III did, but they stopped that with Oblivion. You can do everything in one playthrough with no consequences. To me that's not deep or engaging role-playing.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Calvin079

Gears 3 was rated lower than both of its predecessors and won less awards but was verbally praised in almost all reviews as being the pinnacle of the series. I'd hardly call it over-rated.

NeonNinja

Well Skyrim was praised by critics and it was broken upon release. But Gears 3 had every fanboy bowing to it just about in the weeks up to launch.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#39 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
Skyward Sword. Some call Skyward Sword the best Legend of Zelda game ever. Now that creates a huge problem because if I find it to be the worst 3d console Zelda game yet. Yes, Skyward Sword is still my 2011 game of the year. However i have Skyward Sword ranked below Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Windwaker, and Twilight Princess (especially lower than Ocarina of Time). Heck, I like A Link to the Past over Skyward Sword. No way is Skyward Sword the best LoZ game.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mems_1224

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="percech"]I liked Oblivion, but it definitely isn't better. Oblivion doesn't have the swag Skyrim has. Oh and I hate Fallout 3 and Vegas and everything about em. These games are nothing like the Elder Scrolls.MLBknights58

Interesting. I found Fallout 3's world so god damn interesting, it's probably tied with Oblivion as my favorite Bethesda game. The atmosphere of that world was incredible, and something about digging through an empty house, scrounging through the kitchen for food, while imagining a family of 4 sitting down to a nice quiet meal years before.. damn I've never been so immersed in a game in my life.

I found New Vegas to be actually more uninteresting than either Fallout 3 or Oblivion.

damnit, i have to agree with you. lets never fight again :P
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Skyward Sword. Some call Skyward Sword the best Legend of Zelda game ever. Now that creates a huge problem because if I find it to be the worst 3d console Zelda game yet. Yes, Skyward Sword is still my 2011 game of the year. However i have Skyward Sword ranked below Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Windwaker, and Twilight Princess (especially lower than Ocarina of Time). Heck, I like A Link to the Past over Skyward Sword. No way is Skyward Sword the best LoZ game.wiifan001
Totally agreed. SS is a good game on its own, but falls far below almost all other Zelda games imo.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="percech"]I liked Oblivion, but it definitely isn't better. Oblivion doesn't have the swag Skyrim has. Oh and I hate Fallout 3 and Vegas and everything about em. These games are nothing like the Elder Scrolls.MLBknights58

I got bored of Fallout 3. I loved Oblivion and New Vegas though. Fallout 3 I just couldn't take. 30 hours into it and I was wondering what the point of it all was. But with New Vegas, I jumped in and was in the world immediately. Las Vegas contrasted so much the wild wasteland. I was part city-slicker/gangster and part cowboy/prospector. It made for an awesome combination! Running through canyons where trains used to cross as I got into a gunfight with bandits as I was chasing after slavers. I ended up at a lone ranch where I stayed to heal my wounds and continue the chase. Moments like that let me use my imagination in the world more than Fallout 3 did. I just felt perfectly immersed in New Vegas.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

Calvin079

Well Skyrim was praised by critics and it was broken upon release. But Gears 3 had every fanboy bowing to it just about in the weeks up to launch.

It's only over-rated once it's actually rated. Weeks up to launch has nothing to do with it.

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 percech
Well that's all nice, but it really wouldn't feel like an Elders Scroll game if they made the storytelling tighter and gripping, because then they'd have to sacrifice the openness of it.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NeonNinja

Well that's all nice, but it really wouldn't feel like an Elders Scroll game if they made the storytelling tighter and gripping, because then they'd have to sacrifice the openness of it. percech

They didn't sacrifice it in New Vegas. So it certainly can be done. I think Bethesda are just afraid of alienating more casual players, whereas Obsidian just decided to go and make a game where you actually do play role that has importance in the world around you.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

Calvin079

Because it's legit good? :o
SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SW__Troll
Member since 2011 • 1687 Posts

Uncharted 3 by far.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

from what I played portal 2. Just seem like more portal with tweaks. I mean for those that liked part 1 thats fine,but even part 1 I thought was highly overrated.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#49 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Hm, this was always gonna be a "bash Skyrim" topic in disguise.

As for the topic question, I'm not really sure. I haven't really played many games that were way worse than they were made out to be.

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

Skyrim, gears of war 3 or uncharted 3.... Dont get me wrong, all of them are GREAT GREAT games. skyrim is even fantastic. but it was totally overated and hyped. its fantastic, but it has issues. totally not perfect.