Most of you kids are not harcore

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

I hate the term "hardcore gamer", and that the problem with Nintendo at the moment is their overly-strong focus on non-games and mini-games. I ABSOLUTELY don't mind that there are a lot of these kinds of games on the Wii: what I do mind is that it's Nintendo who's using their resources to create them, because it's awaste of a world class developer.

I buy Nintendo products to play Nintendo games. Third parties (yes even Konami and Capcom) CANNOT touch Nintendo when they are at their best. This is because the developer excels in design, a factor overlooked by so many self-proclaimed hardcore gamers. For me, a TRUE "hardcore" gamer isn't someone who plays Gears of War, or pays $600 for one console, it's someone who DOESN'T do things like rip on Nintendo for being kiddie, which is one of the biggest clichés in gaming, and who appreciates the actual structural DESIGN of a good game, as well as intuitive controls etc. The fact that the Wii doesn't have great graphics all the time is COMPLETELY irrelevant, and anyone who has played a good Wii game and assessed what it is they enjoy about it will know that. It also helps if they're a TRUE "hardcore" gamer, because then they'll have standards which extend beyond visuals and the fact that there are GUNS in the game. If Wii games don't get any better looking than MP3 or SMG, then I would be TOTALLY fine with that if good game design and DEPTH become more common in the system's games.

I fully supported Nintendo, even in the Gamecube days because I still remain convinced that if certain Nintendo games appeaered on other systems, it would be an entirely different story.

For me, a crucial difference between "Killer apps" like SMG for Wii and MGS4 for PS3 is that Twilight Princess is already available, and people have moved on, realistically accepting that there's more to the console than the game they just played (although better Wii games are still on the horizon). But just look at the amount of Sony support which bases its entire foundation on this one game that they haven't played. If MGS4 was already available, then the same thing would happen: people would stop using it as a reason to buy the system, because it's one $60 game. They would look to the horizon exactly like Wii owners are doing and see NO MORE than a few games worth getting excited bout, EXACTLY like what Wii owners are doing.

Finally, anyone who thinks a game like Mario Kart or Super Mario Galaxy is not a hardcore game compared to Gears of War or GTA IV really needs to look at how they evaluate games because they seem to be equating depth and maturity with guns, and in many cases big boobs and swear words, which is too disturbing to think about.

Guiltfeeder566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Guiltfeeder566
Member since 2005 • 10068 Posts
So... What are you trying to say?
Avatar image for Truffle-Shuffle
Truffle-Shuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Truffle-Shuffle
Member since 2007 • 455 Posts
People that play WoW are hardcore
jmorey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 jmorey01
Member since 2004 • 2637 Posts
I am too harcore. :evil:
A_New_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 A_New_Life
Member since 2007 • 494 Posts
I'm just waiting mgs4 to come out and after that call it quits.
X_Evo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 X_Evo
Member since 2005 • 1016 Posts
Very nice post.. I agree with all points.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts
he's saying that teh grim and violent does not necessarily equal hardcore. i agree.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

And you care about people being hardcore or not, why?

If people are being fanboys, let them be fanboys in their own little worlds.

Avatar image for ---OkeyDokey---
---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ---OkeyDokey---
Member since 2007 • 3318 Posts

i agree. people who write off games as being kiddie are not true gamers.

it also saddens me that shooting people online seems to be the definition of modern day gaming.

Vanadium2k8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Vanadium2k8
Member since 2008 • 1605 Posts
I say hardcore gamers are the people that buy less popular games to support them. Games like Ninja Gaiden, Viewtiful Joe or Trauma Center. Not the people buying CoD4, GTAIV or Final Fantasy. Of course I'm not saying the latter games are bad, but they're really popular and bought by casuals as well.
Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts
I am post-hardcore.
tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 tekmojo
Member since 2006 • 1425 Posts
thread fails hardcore
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

I say hardcore gamers are the people that buy less popular games to support them. Games like Ninja Gaiden, Viewtiful Joe or Trauma Center. Not the people buying CoD4, GTAIV or Final Fantasy. Of course I'm not saying the latter games are bad, but they're really popular and bought by casuals as well.Vanadium2k8
Hardcore gamers are those that buy games that casuals don't buy?

Silly.

The whole term is crap, anyway. Just be gamers.

--ProtoMan--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 --ProtoMan--
Member since 2007 • 1376 Posts

it also saddens me that shooting people online seems to be the definition of modern day gaming.

---OkeyDokey---

Agreed. I can understand if people prefer mature titles, but to diss Nintendo games as kiddy without playing them is just dumb.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts

I say hardcore gamers are the people that buy less popular games to support them. Games like Ninja Gaiden, Viewtiful Joe or Trauma Center. Not the people buying CoD4, GTAIV or Final Fantasy. Of course I'm not saying the latter games are bad, but they're really popular and bought by casuals as well.Vanadium2k8

The reason why casuals don't play those games is because they're not the easiest of games.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

Well darn it...I guess that I will have to get on with my life somehow. Has I go back to play Mario vs Sonic with my son.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5e9044657a310
thread fails hardcoretekmojo
after looking at your games list, you are the perfect example of what I am talking about.
rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
Yup, people who don't rip on Wii are so hardcore. That's the definition.
Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts

I consider myself a hardcore gamer. When gaming and building computers becomes a hobby and not just something you do. I think it goes to the next level.

Shadow2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Shadow2k6
Member since 2005 • 2283 Posts

Your right i'm probably not hardcore but I am a core gamer. There is no way anyone who owns a 360, Wii, PS3, DS, and PSP is a casual.

I did my part in supporting hardcore games by buying RE4 and not buying Wii Play and by planning to buy No More Heroes and SSBB but not buying Wii Fit.

DuDisNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 DuDisNow
Member since 2007 • 2741 Posts
All I know is, I'm a gamer that has owned almost every system since the NES. Does that make me...hardcore?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5e9044657a310
The fact you're defensive tells me..........no
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

Look at this kid.. Now this kid is the definition of HARDCORE.

Link

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts

So... What are you trying to say?Guiltfeeder566
Kinda what I was wondering as well.

Anyway, I don't consider myself a hardcore game even tho I've played games since C64 era. And Wii, whether you like it or not doesn't affect how HC you are, it's just a matter of preference.

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wemhim
Member since 2005 • 16110 Posts
I wouldn't consider myself hardcore, but experienced, I have experience with new and old games, violent, and "Kiddy". But I think hardcore is for people that are on the top of leaderboards and stuff like that.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
Its the time you put into gaming, not what type of games you play.
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#29 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts
A poster crying foul about how "hardcore" is used to mean violence/sex, but with a wrestler as his avatar. Makes me pause a bit.
Avatar image for Cerberus_Legion
Cerberus_Legion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 Cerberus_Legion
Member since 2007 • 1233 Posts

There is no real "definition" for the term, Hardcore Gamer, simply because most gamers are different in many aspects and there is no standard to define them. I've ben gaming for 14 years, and I play all types of games, some more than others, and I've seen some stinkers which are acclaimed, and some gems which aren't well liked, but that's just me. I like Nintendo, but I feel the justification for waiting for a great game to appear once or twice a year is hardly any reason to praise the Wii; I support Nintendo, but in my heart, I feel slightly betrayed by their focus on a more "casual" market, as some would say, but I'll just they're expanding their horizons. Either way, what's a Hardcore Gamer and a good game to some is not the definition to others, and I'll just leave it at that.

I just love games; that's all there is to it. If I dedicate my well earned money on maximizing my gaming experience and buying the games I love, I've no need for the term, "Hardcore," because it's irrelevant.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5e9044657a310

A poster crying foul about how "hardcore" is used to mean violence/sex, but with a wrestler as his avatar. Makes me pause a bit.Bgrngod

by wrestler, you mean henry Rollins right?

the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the_h_bomb
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts

I made a thread the other day about promising looking games from Japanese devs and half of the people on here dismissed them because their wasnt enough violence in them

It really is pathetic

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

I made a thread the other day about promising looking games from Japanese devs and half of the people on here dismissed them because their wasnt enough violence in them

It really is pathetic

the_h_bomb

agreed....The game a person plays does not make him or her hardcore. It how much they love their games and what they are willing to do for them makes them hardcore.

WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WARxSnake
Member since 2006 • 2154 Posts
lol, who cares what you think about yourself, if you are leet or not, in the industry, "hardcore gamer" = $$$ i.e. people who spend more money than the average on games, perfierals, and stupid collectors editions, etc.
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bgrngod

[QUOTE="Bgrngod"]A poster crying foul about how "hardcore" is used to mean violence/sex, but with a wrestler as his avatar. Makes me pause a bit.Nuck81

Apparently I do yes. How old is that pic? Last time I saw him he looked way older then that.

MasterC5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MasterC5
Member since 2006 • 2932 Posts
Your right, in my opinion you are only hardcore if you consider gamin your hobby, and you play a wide variety of games in all kinds of genres.
Avatar image for NavigatorsGhost
NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NavigatorsGhost
Member since 2006 • 6483 Posts
[QUOTE="---OkeyDokey---"]

--ProtoMan--

Agreed. I can understand if people prefer mature titles, but to diss Nintendo games as kiddy without playing them is just dumb.

People on here diss them because they have simply outgrown or gotten tired of Nintendo's franchises. After a decade or so, believe it or not, Mario and Zelda get old for some people.

And Nintendo is casual and always will be casual. They even state that their idea of gaming is to create games that appeal to all age groups (like Pixar movies) and to be easily accessible by everyone. Thats the definition of casual. They want people who don't play games often or who have never played games.

Thats why a significant amount of "hardcore" gamers, don't care about Nintendo or the games available on its console, whatever that may be at the time. They make good games, but refuse to make games outside of their traditional hallowed franchises.

the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 the_h_bomb
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts

agreed....The game a person plays does not make him or her hardcore. It how much they love their games and what they are willing to do for them makes them hardcore.

HarlockJC

The irony of it is that these RPGs that are dismissed for being "Emo" or "too japanese" are infinitely more hardcore than the crappy identikit shooters most of the people on here love so much. The people on this board think that Halo and Call of duty are hardcore which is one of the most pathetic things i've ever heard

AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts
I'm a gamer, that's usually how I view myself. I feel no need to prove myself as "hardcore" to anyone and play whatever games I want, from the "non-hardcore" titles like CoD4 to those that I feel only a few know about like Tokobot Plus and Ristar.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5e9044657a310
[QUOTE="Nuck81"]

[QUOTE="Bgrngod"]A poster crying foul about how "hardcore" is used to mean violence/sex, but with a wrestler as his avatar. Makes me pause a bit.Bgrngod

He has aged quite a bit. My wrestling knowledge ends With Hulk Hogan being a bad guy and wearing black...

Apparently I do yes. How old is that pic? Last time I saw him he looked way older then that.

He has aged quite a bit. My wrestling knowledge ends with Hulk Hogan wearing black and being a bad guy.

Virus214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Virus214
Member since 2007 • 2052 Posts
Good post man. I skimmed a long it due to length, and my shortness of time. but i get the jist of what your sayin. and its put together very well. Good job.
CommanderTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CommanderTy
Member since 2007 • 2285 Posts
No Way im Hardcore i Use the N word as if i were talkin to my mother and swear insted of say or talk normaly to a person lol i hate kids like that but yeah good point my friend i would consider myself a hardcore gamer because thats pritty much all i do besides the fact that im a hardcore X-country runner
MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MadExponent
Member since 2003 • 11454 Posts
I wouldn't call myself a "hardcore" gamer per'se. I am a hardcore Counter-Strike: Source player with 19 LAN's under my belt as well as CAL-I and CEVO-M/P experience. I am also a hardcore Guild Wars player as I have TONS of achievements as well as being ranked 10 in PVP and I have a collection of insanely rare items that I could sell for thousands on Ebay. Besides that I am not a hardcore gamer. I do play alot of games, but there are only 2 games that I can honestly say that I am one of the best in.
SgtWhiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SgtWhiskeyjack
Member since 2004 • 16364 Posts

I don't think I'll care about your definition and continue just to be obcessed with gaming.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Having played through 4 generations(including this one) I think I should get an automatic Hardcore right.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts

Your right i'm probably not hardcore but I am a core gamer. There is no way anyone who owns a 360, Wii, PS3, DS, and PSP is a casual.

I did my part in supporting hardcore games by buying RE4 and not buying Wii Play and by planning to buy No More Heroes and SSBB but not buying Wii Fit.

Shadow2k6

The difference between you and me, is that I'm getting all five of those games, while you're immediately neglecting the entertainment value that games like Wii-play and Wii Fit can provide.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5e9044657a310

Having played through 4 generations(including this one) I think I should get an automatic Hardcore right.meetroid8

I disagree, I have played most and owned more than my share of every video game system since the Atari 2600 and don't consider myself "hardcore"

This obsession with having to label yourself is ludicrous

Madsucktion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 Madsucktion
Member since 2003 • 2079 Posts

Meh, you people can have your "Hardcore" title. In reality it's just another group of people trying to put down people they consider their inferiors.

I consider myself an Aficionado of Video Games. I play games simply because I love them, not so I can show off, or claim superiority. You "Hardcore" and "Casual" gamers can keep fighting this one out, but when you decide you just love playing video games, come and enjoy them with the Aficionados

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Bgrngod

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]Having played through 4 generations(including this one) I think I should get an automatic Hardcore right.Nuck81

I disagree, I have played most and owned more than my share of every video game system since the Atari 2600 and don't consider myself "hardcore"

This obsession with having to label yourself is ludicrous

If you have spent well above the average on video games, then you may be hardcore. Any time any of the big companies talk about hardcore vs. casual they are talking about spending (since they care about $$).

Hardcore gamers buy a lot, casuals do not. This terminology is used differently in a social aspect. Socially "hardcore" is someone that PLAYS games a lot.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#50 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16020 Posts

Well then it's a good thing I'm not a kid. Playing only kiddy games does not make you more of a gamer than anyone else here. You're just as much of an elitist as the people who say kiddy games are always bad.

You can try to portray yourself as some kind of video game godfather but I can see right through that