More and more gamers are owning both consoles!

• 51 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45110 Posts

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattgardner1/2021/10/15/goodbye-console-wars-dual-playstation-and-xbox-ownership-is-booming/?sh=283c0f82c327

What’s better: owning a PlayStation or an Xbox? According to an ever-greater number of gamers, the answer seems to be “both.”

In a world more divided by partisan stances than ever before, the gaming community appears to be coming together to push back on the notion of a modern “console war”; instead of dedicating themselves to one chosen piece of hardware, it’s now much more common for players to have both an Xbox and PlayStation in their homes.

In “Game Consoles 2021: Respawned and Leveled Up,” published this month by Hub Entertainment Research, it was found that more than one-third (34%) of respondents said they now owned both a PlayStation and Xbox in 2021; only a quarter of console gamers could say the same in 2019.

Speaking to over 2,600 U.S. consumers between the ages of 13 and 74, Hub discovered that this dramatic spike was nothing to do with increased interest in playing console games; the research company found the number of people engaging with PS4s, PS5s, Xbox Ones, and the Series X or S remains broadly the same in 2021 (36%) as in 2019 (33%).

Of course, its findings still track nicely with the huge spike in home entertainment demand caused by the hermit conditions of the COVID-19 pandemic. Landmark reports by Deloitte, Mintel, and Ukie have confirmed as much: the amount of hard cash spent on gaming during lockdown and beyond is greater than ever.

If anything, there’s an argument that the number of people owning more than one console would be even higher, had it not been for rampant shortages in the number of PS5s and Xbox Series X/S consoles around the world. Even now–at the very least, here in the U.K.–the PlayStation 5 has been dogged by semiconductor shortages since its launch in late 2020. The Series X/S isn’t far behind, regularly selling out at soon as new stock arrives.

I'm one of those people! Having both PS5 and XSX has been great. I get the best of both worlds and both systems have great value and retain their value. How about you, SW? Do you own multiple consoles? I also own a Switch but everyone knows that's a side console 😉

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Quit hogging up all the new consoles and leave at least one XSX for me. :P

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Seems smart to me - with Xbox recovering more content that excludes PS, if you don't game on PC especially then owning both console brands is "needed". At least in order to ensure you can get at most big games releases. Of course, if exclusives didn't exist you could save 500 and just buy one console...

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

I will get a PS5 when I can just walk into a shop and buy one. But I'm in no rush though.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidGame_basic

@SecretPolice said:

come on man, you have a yacht, XSX should be nothing for you 😋

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@SecretPolice said:

come on man, you have a yacht, XSX should be nothing for you 😋

Yeah but I'm a purchasing manager for good reason, I won't pay mooaar for less. :P

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Good. Glad to see people coming together in some fashion in today's world.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Yay we all have redundant e-waste in our homes.

Imagine if we could just play any game on a device we already have.

Fuuck these exclusivity wars. It's especially egregious this gen since two of the three consoles are basically identical except for software.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

I own a PC, PS5 and Switch.

I'm good.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

When I went to grab my OLED at BB, I saw someone picking up 2 PS5s. I smelled he was a botter and I gave him a dirty look... made sure he knew that I knew.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Both is the correct answer,it's better than crying over exclusives and pretending the games on a console you hate are shit.

Imagine thinking you are a gamer,but refuse to play games on the competitions gaming machine.sad twats

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Well duh. If you have the cash, don’t something ad stupid as brand loyalty keep you from enjoying everything the hobby has to offer.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Why not just PC?

Much good.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

I remember most gamers during the 7th gen own all consoles from Xbox 360, PS3, & Wii was the best way to go during that gen, the major 3 consoles had games you want to play and wasn't too knee on fanboy wars for owning multiple systems. I own everything at the time despite I was slowly switching to gaming PC. Moving onto 8th gen, this is where things got rocky for MS as it didn't make sense to owning Xbox One when it launch due to bad press and higher price compare to PS4 which was the most powerful console for less than Xbox One, most gamers just got PS4 & Wii U, and until MS got better leadership, I guess there were reasons to go buy Xbox One but the damage was already done for the brand, PS4 just made sense to own as well as Wii U. As we are in this current-gen, there are more reasons to get an Xbox Series X & PS5 more so as both companies have way better options. This gen feels like we're back to 7th gen owning all consoles.

(I have a gaming PC, no reasons for me of ever getting Xbox Series)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

Yeah, I’m typically a multi console owner myself. I generally like to get all the major console systems each gen. Will likely do that as well this gen and get an Xbox Series X and PS5 to go with my Switch. Too many great games all around not to do so. 😁

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 735 Posts

I want both, or, more accurately, all three. I have a PS5 and a Switch. I'd like to add an XSX to the pile sometime in the next year. It's not a major hurry as there isn't much I want to play on it atm, but I feel like MS is going to start delivering games I will like very soon. (I know Forza and Halo are coming but neither series is something I generally enjoy)

I'm kind of tired of the narrative that one of these consoles sucks. I have my favorite, but I also don't want to miss out on great experiences.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

@pyro1245: do most gamers even care about the amount of e-waste when they own multiple consoles, just like whether they care about most environmental issues talked about by the media, politicians, and activists?

Anyway, it is nice that gamers own multiple consoles and show they value games and not brand/company loyality. Perhaps some users on System War may want to learn something from these gamers.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Will probably be my first gen not grabbing everything.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

No real need for most gamers to bother with a gaming PC these days with it being so expensive and parts so hard to obtain, especially when these consoles produce a solid amount of power and visuals without spending a fortune.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

@pyro1245: do most gamers even care about the amount of e-waste when they own multiple consoles, just like whether they care about most environmental issues talked about by the media, politicians, and activists?

Anyway, it is nice that gamers own multiple consoles and show they value games and not brand/company loyality. Perhaps some users on System War may want to learn something from these gamers.

Heh I was kinda joking about the e-waste.... Just bitching that we still need multiple redundant computers just to play games.

I understand it, but I don't want it.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Could this be the gen in which this is worth it again? Because imo, it hasn't really been worth owning both since the 6th gen. They just shared too many games during the the 7th and 8th gens imo.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

So true, this gen I got both, first got the Series X, then went and got a Series S. Variety is the spice of life.

Loading Video...

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#24  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Why not just PC?

Much good.

That is the dream, but sadly there are still some console exclusives. I have always been manticore because of exclusives. PC is my primary, but I don't like to miss out on games.

Vaativids

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Vaativids
Member since 2021 • 337 Posts

People like handheld gaming. Always have. There’s no point having two home consoles that do the same thing.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

"Both consoles"?

So are we talking Switch and Playstation, Switch and Xbox, or Playstation and Xbox?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22679 Posts

I have jaded feelings about this... Why do we celebrate parity of consoles? It's something I'll never understand. The industry is service based... The manufacturers make little money off console sales.... All these pieces of hardware are mirroring pc architecture and there is little difference in performance.

Why do we insist that it's a GOOD thing that hardware be proprietary?

It feels like highway robbery.... And quite honestly, the manufactures recognize that the money is in services. They lose money on console sales for Months after release and don't scrape a huge amount after that comparatively.

That we exist in 2021 and we're still pretending it's ok to be gouged to play every game in this industry is a loss for gamers.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

Coincidentally, this may be the 1st console gen I don't buy multiple consoles and just stick to PC. Buying both consoles at $500 each and $420 each over a gen for online taxes, your looking at almost 2 grand without a mid gen "pro" version anyway, so you'd be better off buying a 2 grand pre-built. You wouldn't have to beg for backwards compatibility and you'd get way more power and freedom for your money.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SolidGame_basic

@TheEroica said:

I have jaded feelings about this... Why do we celebrate parity of consoles? It's something I'll never understand. The industry is service based... The manufacturers make little money off console sales.... All these pieces of hardware are mirroring pc architecture and there is little difference in performance.

It feels like highway robbery.... And quite honestly, the manufactures recognize that the money is in services. They lose money on console sales for Months after release and don't scrape a huge amount after that comparatively.

That we exist in 2021 and we're still pretending it's ok to be gouged to play every game in this industry is a loss for gamers.

I love different ideas of how a console should be. The Xbox Series X is fast and snappy and quick resume is a very cool feature. I also got 3 years of Gamepass at the same price of Xbox Live and it's great to dabble with so many games. On the other hand, Playstation has an awesome controller. When I play Deathloop, I can literally feel my character walking. Sony also has great exclusives and amazing Japan support. It's cool to have these experiences. Then my boy Switch has my portable needs!

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9547 Posts

Both? Why not all 3? Throw in a PC, a good tablet, a streaming box service like Stadia or Luna, and the Steam Deck and make it a party.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#31  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

Multi-console ownership is a waste of money and resources. Especially when each system (with the exception of the Switch) can run each other games. Just imagine if every form of entertainment worked in the same manner as gaming. 😶

@TheEroica said:

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:

I love different ideas of how a console should be. The Xbox Series X is fast and snappy and quick resume is a very cool feature. I also got 3 years of Gamepass at the same price of Xbox Live and it's great to dabble with so many games. On the other hand, Playstation has an awesome controller. When I play Deathloop, I can literally feel my character walking. Sony also has great exclusives and amazing Japan support. It's cool to have these experiences. Then my boy Switch has my portable needs!

None of those features are worth having multiple redundant hardware and that is ignoring the fact that these features are really not exclusive to either system. You are part of the problem.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SolidGame_basic
@Pedro said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

None of those features are worth having multiple redundant hardware and that is ignoring the fact that these features are really not exclusive to either system. You are part of the problem.

Says the guy who owns all systems plus a $3500 PC 😆

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic: Deflecting to me owning a PC dedicated for development doesn't change anything. But it is good to see you still bitter over my PC.😂

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidGame_basic

@Pedro: you bought all systems so according to you you are the problem 😎

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic: You are advocate for owning multiple systems. I am not. Note difference. And I appreciate that you have PC envy.😂

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

Currently only have a Switch, will probably buy an Xbox soonish (might just get the Series S).

I had a Series X, but I gave it to my nephew as I wasn't really playing it and he wanted it badly.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SolidGame_basic

@Pedro: you bought the systems so you are contributing to your own problem 😎

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic: Yep! Owning all the systems are just part of my job and I would prefer not to. You on other hand support this nonsense on both fronts.😎 And still have PC envy.😂

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts
@shadyacshuns said:

No real need for most gamers to bother with a gaming PC these days with it being so expensive and parts so hard to obtain, especially when these consoles produce a solid amount of power and visuals without spending a fortune.

This seems to be a rudimentary understanding of PC gaming.

The idea of the platform merely being about power, or AAA production values is quite antiquated.

It is an aspect of the platform, but in the grand tapestry, when we actually look at what the majority of PC gamers play, AAA, card busting extravaganzas come last in the bread line.

If anything online community is the most valued aspect, certain titles such as CS: GO and Team Fortress 2 generations old.

This does not mean the titles are inherently inferior, quite the opposite, it's a testament to their quality that the gameplay holds up against the backdrop of ever-evolving technology.

Essentially, you're projecting your own console mentality on the platform assuming everything outside that bubble adhere to the same rules.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SolidGame_basic

@Pedro: if you truly don't believe in supporting it you wouldn't be buying them 😎 keep trying 😉

MooseWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MooseWayne
Member since 2017 • 361 Posts

PC and Switch. anything else is a waste.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

My SW answer: LOL imagine wasting $500 on a console without a single exclusive🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣cringe cring cringe!

The reality: If you don't own a pc, the X is a very good deal.

If i didn't own a pc or wasn't into pc gaming, i might've actually went with the X over the PS5 because its more powerful, GP is only getting better and there is no way i am missing on the likes of stalker2, starfield, perfect dark, etc.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2929 Posts

Yeah, I own both an Xbox One X and a PS4. However, I will upgrade to the Xsex sooner or later, whereas I feel no urge to buy a PS5 anytime soon, if ever. However that might change if a few titles that I really want are released as PS5 exclusives, e.g. Persona 6.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts

GamePass will help subsidize that PS5. lol

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:

@Pedro: if you truly don't believe in supporting it you wouldn't be buying them 😎 keep trying 😉

Seems like you are conflating ideas because you were called out for being the cause of the problem. 😂

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

I'm 1/3 with switch only right now and a PC

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness said:

GamePass will help subsidize that PS5. lol

ps now is running on big m servers.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 above_average
Member since 2021 • 1566 Posts

Why not throw in Solider boy console while you're at it?

lol the idea of a manticore is only a coping mechanism of your favorite system not having all the games you really want to play. It's not really a thing for 99% of users even the people here who try to make it so.

PS3 and 360 generation was the only time I felt getting more than one system made sense because each major platfrom (PS3,360,PC) had specific games that highlighted why owning each was a worthwhile investment (Example: Crysis PC, MGS4 PS3, Lost Odyssey Xbxo360). Even then I still didn't get a Wii because the games didn't appeal to me so I wasn't a true "manticore".

The other laughable notion is buying a system for games I *might* miss out on. Miss me with the hopeful Imaginary games BS. I been gaming since Atari 2600 and tangible games are the only thing you can rely on. I'll spend my $500+ on RESULTS of games being produced not happy ideas. Honestly this "buy all systems" idea is just a desire to see others make the same wasteful & redundant purchase that you did.

There is no reason to buy "all" (it's not ever really even all) systems just as a shallow bragging right when you're just playing the same games available on the other platform. I don't game for charity I game for myself. NO results, as in the kinds of games at the quality I want actually available to PLAY, NO buy END/.

Not directing this at anyone just my perspective on this. Don't @ me.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#50 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts

As the median age of console gamers goes up, they will no longer be limited by what their parents buy for them.