Modnation Racers (vs Mario Kart?)

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts

Hey everyone,

I just finished playing some online races in the Modnation racers beta and I mus say I am pleasantly surprised. Having seen the first few gameplay vids, i didn't think this game would play like much, but it's fun as hell!

The creation tools give you a lot of freedom (though most items need to be unlocked first) and I already ran into some pretty well-made and / or humerous knock-offs of Spiderman, Naruto and even Mario and so on. I haven't dwelved into the track editor yet.

But I don't really wanna talk about the create-things-yourself part of the game, but the gameplay itself.
When some people here have made comparisons to Mario Kart, well, they weren't really that far off. In fact, to me, the game feels like Mario Kart on steroids. And man, it's GOOD! The game is super-fast and hectic, the controls are tight and you really feel in charge of your vehicle. There are power-ups such as boosts, rockets, homing missles, mines, and they seem to be all rather well balanced.

The problem I had with Mario Kart on the Wii was that a lot of things were purely based on luck and that many power-ups could easily help you blast from 8th place to 1st. It's not a racing game with funny elements anymore, it has become a "party game" with racing as its secondary focus.

Now that I've just played Modnation Racers for just about 2 hours, I can safely say that I had more fun with it that I did With Mario Kart Wii. I felt much more that I was in control over the outcome of the race. If I got stuck at a wall and lost precious seconds, that really had an impact and there's no such power-up as the "Bullet Bill" power-up to automatically blast you over the track to catch up.
The weapons, racing, drifting all take skill to master, and I honestly wish that Mario Kart Wii would have been a bit more like this.

All in all; the game plays great, looks great (graphics are detailed, crisp and the presentation is beatufil and vibrant) and is just a hell lot of fun. And although some people didn't think this game could not be better than Mario Kart, I think it can.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I didn't read your post...but....Modnation Racers vs Mario Kart....this is a tough one.....

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Better than Mario Kart Wii? Possibly, better than Mario Kart DS? Never.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10621 Posts

if we're talking about overall, then MR have it's work cut out for them with just one game, but if we're talking about this gen alone, then IMHO, MR will easily take the cake based from what i played from the beta, and from the full game i played with MK Wii. MKW seemed more like a downgrade to me compared to DD, while MR felt like a MK in a way, with vast creativity, and a reason to hold on to your weapons/items. i honestly thought that the only great thing that MKW did was make the best use out of what little room it had to work with the WFC.

mD-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mD-
Member since 2005 • 4314 Posts

ActicEdge
Why "never"? I know MK DS is amazing, but this does have a decent chance at being better if they tweak the gameplay to close perfection.
Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nerd_Man
Member since 2007 • 13819 Posts

My main concern with ModNation Racers is not whether or not it will play well and have solid gameplay, but whether or not it will have much of an identity of its own. To me it looks like it has the potential to suffer from an identity crisis. It just borrows too much from other franchises, that it's just too hard to see it as something unique. While you will get to create how your racers will look, their designs look no where as interesting as characters from other kart franchises (Like Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, etc.), or even the Sackboy characters.
I'm not doubting ModNation Racers will be a good game, but I would probably predict at best it would be an AA game.

mD-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mD-
Member since 2005 • 4314 Posts
[QUOTE="Nerd_Man"]My main concern with ModNation Racers is not whether or not it will play well and have solid gameplay, but whether or not it will have much of an identity of its own. To me it looks like it has the potential to suffer from an identity crisis. It just barrows too much from other franchises, that it's just too hard to see it as something unique. While you will get to create how your racers will look, their designs look no where as interesting as characters from other kart franchises (Like Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, etc.), or even the Sackboy characters. I'm not doubting ModNation Racers will be a good game, but I would probably predict at best it would be an AA game.

You think that it takes things from all the amazing games is a bad thing? There hasn't been a kart racer as ambitious as this one...
AdjacentLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AdjacentLives
Member since 2009 • 1173 Posts

My main concern with ModNation Racers is not whether or not it will play well and have solid gameplay, but whether or not it will have much of an identity of its own. To me it looks like it has the potential to suffer from an identity crisis. It just borrows too much from other franchises, that it's just too hard to see it as something unique. While you will get to create how your racers will look, their designs look no where as interesting as characters from other kart franchises (Like Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, etc.), or even the Sackboy characters.
I'm not doubting ModNation Racers will be a good game, but I would probably predict at best it would be an AA game.

Nerd_Man

That is a good point. The only thing I could say that it brings to the table is it's track editor, which in my opinion surpasses that of Little Big Planet's level editor in ease of use.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#9 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I think the quality of the Modnation community will determine that. It is too early to say.

Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nerd_Man
Member since 2007 • 13819 Posts
[QUOTE="mD-"][QUOTE="Nerd_Man"]My main concern with ModNation Racers is not whether or not it will play well and have solid gameplay, but whether or not it will have much of an identity of its own. To me it looks like it has the potential to suffer from an identity crisis. It just barrows too much from other franchises, that it's just too hard to see it as something unique. While you will get to create how your racers will look, their designs look no where as interesting as characters from other kart franchises (Like Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, etc.), or even the Sackboy characters. I'm not doubting ModNation Racers will be a good game, but I would probably predict at best it would be an AA game.

You think that it takes things from all the amazing games is a bad thing? There hasn't been a kart racer as ambitious as this one...

I didn't say it was a bad thing. I just said I think it would not come off as unique. I've played plenty of kart racers over the years. I've seen all kinds of interesting concepts used in this genre of racing. Overall, the overall look and charm of ModNation Racers just comes off as soulless and uninteresting for me. I'm not doubting it will have solid gameplay, but I'd like to see some other neat things in the game that could separate it from the pack.
Regisland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Regisland
Member since 2009 • 2390 Posts

I think the quality of the Modnation community will determine that. It is too early to say.

Pierst179

It will be good,but probably not as huge as the LBP community.

Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts

Nerd_Man

You're adressing the racer / character design.

Your character, when stripped down, is basically just a blank, white shape of a body (like these vinyl figures that you can paint yourself). So there is a lot of freedom given when designing a character, even by random. Different kinds of eyes, noses, mouths and also brushes are available. As I said in my original post, so people re-created Iron Man, Naruto, even a Helghast was there. The vehicles can just be as versatile, with bodies ranging from japanese import racer types to 4x4s or made-out-of-cardboard.

I originally also doubted that this game would have a strong identity of its own. But once you play it, you can definately tell that it's there, and the game has plenty of character. :)

Even if this game was to be a AA game, I fail to see what's so bad about that (people are letting themselves getting caught up in all this abnormal AAA hype that's going on on these boards). In fact, and taking account that this is still beta, I'd predict this game to score a 8.5, which I think is perfectly fine.

djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
I get bored with Mario Kart after like 10 minutes, MNR wins by default.
Avatar image for TalesofRaGnArOk
TalesofRaGnArOk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TalesofRaGnArOk
Member since 2007 • 3189 Posts

[QUOTE="Nerd_Man"]My main concern with ModNation Racers is not whether or not it will play well and have solid gameplay, but whether or not it will have much of an identity of its own. To me it looks like it has the potential to suffer from an identity crisis. It just barrows too much from other franchises, that it's just too hard to see it as something unique. While you will get to create how your racers will look, their designs look no where as interesting as characters from other kart franchises (Like Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, etc.), or even the Sackboy characters. I'm not doubting ModNation Racers will be a good game, but I would probably predict at best it would be an AA game.mD-

Nerd_Man does have a good point though. Just look at 3D dot game heroes. Zelda Zelda Zelda, that's all it looks like. Hasn't gotten any good reviews so far...A game basically

piloy85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 piloy85
Member since 2010 • 28 Posts

CTR>mario kartds>sega and sonic all stars racing>MNR>jak x >super mario kart>mario kart dd>DKR64>mario kart 64>mario kart wii

piloy85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 piloy85
Member since 2010 • 28 Posts

online gameplay modnation racing is the best

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

i really dnt understand these threads how are you going to put mario kart against modnation racers a game just like mario kart with LBP like qualities...this is more rediculous then CTR being better then Mario kart they just cant compare

ImageChef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ImageChef
Member since 2010 • 163 Posts
But you're implying Mario Kart is good...which is not remotely the truth.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

[QUOTE="Pierst179"]

Regisland

It will be good,but probably not as huge as the LBP community.

then lets just hope that the LBP community will get Modnation Racers and support it... this is one game am really looking forward to :)

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

ActicEdge

Mario Kart Wii sucks, Mario Kart DS is the pinnacle of gaming itself :P (its good)

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

Nerd_Man

Check out these characters, some of them are awesome.

http://scrawlfx.com/2009/12/modnation-racers-beta-spawns-incredibly-customizable-character-creations

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
many have tried, many have failed. I dont know if this can top MK, especially the DS version :shock:
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

[QUOTE="Nerd_Man"]

EmperorSupreme

Check out these characters, some of them are awesome.

http://scrawlfx.com/2009/12/modnation-racers-beta-spawns-incredibly-customizable-character-creations

Wow I'm sold.

Kart racers are still meh for me though.

Laxer04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Laxer04
Member since 2008 • 1256 Posts

good post. im looking forward to this game, i prob wont buy it until the price drops but ill get it eventually. i like how you compared it to mario kart on steroids. when people ask me about lbp, i tell them it is mario on steroids. gameplay wise im guessing it will be on par with mario kart but the track editor is what will set it apart

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#25 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

good post. im looking forward to this game, i prob wont buy it until the price drops but ill get it eventually. i like how you compared it to mario kart on steroids. when people ask me about lbp, i tell them it is mario on steroids. gameplay wise im guessing it will be on par with mario kart but the track editor is what will set it apart

Laxer04
I am thinking about getting this game as well. I have never played a kart game. The commercials are stupid funny.
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
I've lost hours playing the demo. Creating your own tracks is so addictive. The racing itself is good, but i hate using R2 for gas. Still, once i've got some spare money, modnation racers will be my first buy.
Pbjb989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pbjb989
Member since 2010 • 250 Posts

MNR is well worth the money. It's got more depth to it than meets the eye. Better than Mario.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

Is it just me or does this game need more color?

edit:

http://ohflux.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/modnation-racers-20090602033242450_640w.jpg

http://ohflux.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/modnation-racers-20090602033249028_640w.jpg

http://ohflux.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/modnation-racers-20090602033245762_640w.jpg

yup.

Well, maybe not more color but it really has a butt-ugly art direction.

Looks like it cant decide if it wants to be semi-realistic or cartoony.

Ewww

benbeckman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 benbeckman
Member since 2010 • 702 Posts
modnation racers is a crappy mario kart clone made by a crappy developer mario kart wii is better. mario kart ds destroys it
Shadow2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Shadow2k6
Member since 2005 • 2283 Posts

modnation racers is a crappy mario kart clone made by a crappy developer mario kart wii is better. mario kart ds destroys itbenbeckman

MK Wii (reviews aside) was the worst MK yet. It threw the depth of DD out the window and turned into a dumbed downed luck based blue shell spamming kart racer. MNR destroys MK Wii but MK DS destorys MNR.

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

Mario Kart and it's rubber band AI ...

Whichever games has less of it, is best.

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

Mario Kart was fun but I just like my regular Mario. as for Modination racer. I actually enjoy it and I love the Online as well. Its fun to play and I usually cant put down the controller. But still Mario Kart is loads of fun.

benbeckman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 benbeckman
Member since 2010 • 702 Posts

MK Wii (reviews aside) was the worst MK yet.Shadow2k6

i'd put it above 64, but yeah it sucks

however it is still 10 times bettter than modnation which derivative, ugly crap with floaty mechanics and boring tracks

oh wait, it's got a level editor. cows think that the PS3 is innovative because sony sticks a level editor on to every mediocre, copycat game they make now

djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
I have spent several hours playing both these games, Mod Nation Racers is by far the better game.
Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mario1331

[QUOTE="benbeckman"]modnation racers is a crappy mario kart clone made by a crappy developer mario kart wii is better. mario kart ds destroys itShadow2k6

MK Wii (reviews aside) was the worst MK yet. It threw the depth of DD out the window and turned into a dumbed downed luck based blue shell spamming kart racer. MNR destroys MK Wii but MK DS destorys MNR.

and modnation is a game where any level 3 can hit you in put you in automatic last place. they both sound luck driven to me.

actually every item in mk can be blocked but better kart racer mk is just better in general. mnr really lacks originality

InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts

Sega All Stars racing for me.

Mogotoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Mogotoo
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Glad to see I'm not alone on the whole "MKWii being a downgrade" idea. It did feel like there was alot of DD stuff missing from MKWii.

Asfor MNR...haven't played it, but I could see it being better than MKWii.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

[QUOTE="benbeckman"]modnation racers is a crappy mario kart clone made by a crappy developer mario kart wii is better. mario kart ds destroys itShadow2k6

uh, no. Just, no.

Once you're skilled enough, those blue shells mean nothing.

The MKW's rubberband issue is just another one of those things that get completely blown out of proportion and repeated ad nauseum till its pretty much accepted by people who didnt play it or never bothered to be good at it.

And DD's gimmick was worthless. I hate it when people find "depth" in worthless additions.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

[QUOTE="Shadow2k6"]

[QUOTE="benbeckman"]modnation racers is a crappy mario kart clone made by a crappy developer mario kart wii is better. mario kart ds destroys itThunderdrone

uh, no. Just, no.

Once you're skilled enough, those blue shells mean nothing.

The MKW's rubberband issue is just another one of those things that get completely blown out of proportion and repeated ad nauseum till its pretty much accepted by people who didnt play it or never bothered to be good at it.

And DD's gimmick was worthless. I hate it when people find "depth" in worthless additions.

Double Dash is a crappy game. (yeah I said it)

2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#40 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

Mario Kart DS>Mario Kart Wii>Double Dash>Mario Kart 64>Modnation Racers.

I want to say that Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart DS are virtually the same except there is no snaking in Mario Kart Wii. Snaking made mario kart ds funner, but it wore out your thumbs.

Modnation Racers sucks hard. The gameplay feels loose and hard to control. The style is dull and the commentator is not funny.

-starman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -starman-
Member since 2008 • 2822 Posts

alright. i got my Wii well before my PS3. I have played MKWii for hours and hours. and loved it.

but slowly little issues started coming up. some tracks, like DK Mountain and DK Summit had shortcuts that are pretty unfair. and some tracks, like Grumble Volcano are literally broken. people play then to cheat and when that track pops up, you might as well go take a break because you ain't winning. and Nintendo refuses to patch it.

so, when i saw MNR and saw what they were doing, i thought "brilliant!" user controlled content and an active community of moderators creating new content and keeping control of the current. sure there are people finding glitches, but guess what? they're getting banned! imagine that!

MNR and MKWii are different versions of the same thing. but the efforts to maintain a solid community, and the ability to really interact online really put MNR far ahead of MK.

MK is the old style of cart racer and MNR is the future.

Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts

alright. i got my Wii well before my PS3. I have played MKWii for hours and hours. and loved it.

but slowly little issues started coming up. some tracks, like DK Mountain and DK Summit had shortcuts that are pretty unfair. and some tracks, like Grumble Volcano are literally broken. people play then to cheat and when that track pops up, you might as well go take a break because you ain't winning. and Nintendo refuses to patch it.

so, when i saw MNR and saw what they were doing, i thought "brilliant!" user controlled content and an active community of moderators creating new content and keeping control of the current. sure there are people finding glitches, but guess what? they're getting banned! imagine that!

MNR and MKWii are different versions of the same thing. but the efforts to maintain a solid community, and the ability to really interact online really put MNR far ahead of MK.

MK is the old style of cart racer and MNR is the future.

-starman-
this is one of many reasons i really dont like nintendo's online service.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Old thread is old
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Why was this thread dug up? There are more recent ones to go to for impressions.

Anyhow, game is great. The creation tools are awesome. I think they could be improved a bit, have a lot of ideas, but they are great nonetheless.

I'm sick of seeing Iron Man, Mario, and Spiderman as the top three mods though, seriously.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Mario Kart and it's rubber band AI ...

Whichever games has less of it, is best.

-Snooze-

Both have it. I haven't played enough against AI in Mario Kart to get a great idea of how it is in that, but I do know it's pretty bad in MR. I d/l'd a game save so I could access the creation tools without have to complete all the challenges.

Tauu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Tauu
Member since 2005 • 825 Posts

The original Mario Kart on the SNES is still the most fun kart racer.

Pbjb989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pbjb989
Member since 2010 • 250 Posts

and modnation is a game where any level 3 can hit you in put you in automatic last place. mnr really lacks originality

Mario1331

1. Your name makes it clear that your view is hardly impartial.

2. Lack originality? It's the first Kart Racer in the 'Play Create Share' genre.

3. If your getting taken out in a race then that's your own fault for not being smart enough to use a shield.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Mario1331

[QUOTE="Mario1331"]

and modnation is a game where any level 3 can hit you in put you in automatic last place. mnr really lacks originality

Pbjb989

1. Your name makes it clear that your view is hardly impartial.

2. Lack originality? It's the first Kart Racer in the 'Play Create Share' genre.

3. If your getting taken out in a race then that's your own fault for not being smart enough to use a shield.

so if my name is halo1331 would that change my opinion? you need to come with more facts then that

yes it does lack originality share create play is done by LBP and other games saying its original is beyond me

the shield doesnt last longer then 3 seconds please i dont want to hear that shield mess and thanx for leaving out me saying all weapons in MK can be dodged so they are both directly luck driven.

the game is good but my view of this game is no different then others who agree with me and who dont

nice try though8)

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#49 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

People really think Modnation is better then Mario Kart? Serious?

-starman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 -starman-
Member since 2008 • 2822 Posts

People really think Modnation is better then Mario Kart? Serious?

kozzy1234

Mario Kart is a great cart racer... but it's lack of real support and nintendo's unwillingness to fix what are glaring errors really bring down it's playability.

they're stance on patching problems is ridiculous, especially when compared to how the other two operate.

Nintendo could literally fix the track issues with fences. little pixel fences. but they wont

so screw them. i'm playing MNR instead.