Modders Discover Early Concept For Bloodborne Inside Dark Souls Remastered, Open It In GTA V

airraidjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By airraidjet
Member since 2006 • 834 Posts

They Fvcking did what?

Modders Discover Early Concept For Bloodborne Inside Dark Souls Remastered, Open It In GTA V

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/05/modders-discover-early-concept-for-bloodborne-inside-dark-souls-remastered-open-it-in-gta-v/

A modder has extracted a map of Bloodborne's Upper Cathedral Ward from Dark Souls Remastered and opened it within Grand Theft Auto V. Now you can drive a car in it.

It's hard to decide what's weirder here. Why is a level that appears in a game from 2015 sitting inside a 2018 remaster of a game originally released in 2011?

And, even more, how the hell is Trevor from Grand Theft Auto V walking around inside of that map? Over direct message, Dropoff, the modder who accomplished the feat, answered several of my questions about how he made the video.

The level data is its own distinct level file in the data of Dark Souls Remastered, labelled as a seemingly anonymous "m99_99_98_00." The level files that begin with "m99" are often test files within Souls games, and so these were the ones that Dropoff checked first for interesting leftover test content in Remastered.

The level architecture of the extracted map are a little different from the actual released version of the area in Bloodborne. While the approach, gate, and bridge are all the same, the area outside of the building found in Bloodborne is missing from this test version despite the building's interior being roughly the same (here's a video of the final release for comparison).

Lance McDonald, another Souls series modder and data digger whose work we've covered before, has speculated that what eventually became the Upper Cathedral Ward was initially created during the development of the original Dark Souls.

Here’s a look at the early prototype of Bloodborne’s “Upper Cathedral Ward” map that was left behind in the Dark Souls REMASTERED files. It was created a long time ago back back when Dark Souls was in development. It’s not new work by the REMASTERED team. pic.twitter.com/BKBVGl1o8t

— Lance McDonald (@manfightdragon) May 25, 2018

McDonald has also discovered part of the Boletaria level from Demon's Souls in the same set of level files.

Dark Souls Remastered also contains a left behind copy of a small early chunk of Bolataria from Demon‘s Souls. pic.twitter.com/IivrPAusIq

— Lance McDonald (@manfightdragon) May 26, 2018

But what about Trevor and his car? Dropoff explained to me that he extracted the level file from Remastered and imported it into "3D software" that then allowed him to repackage and open it with Grand Theft Auto V.

He learned to perform this operation by reading tutorials, which really makes me question what I'm doing with my free time. I mean, I'm not discovering interesting test maps in anyvideo games.

It's fascinating that this map might have been hanging out since before 2011, it's amazing that you can drive a car in the Upper Cathedral Ward bridge, and it's awesome that there are people committed to doing this kind of work.

Now the only thing to do is find out if Trevor can discover any pesky lore in the unfinished level.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

That's neat. I like this stuff, but at the same time it looks like a Souls game that's been modded. Got cars driving around. Trevor seeing what's up.

Like Skyrim with Goku or something.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Getting major blueballs from all this teasing

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Haha cool.

The Souls games shared lots of assets.

airraidjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 airraidjet
Member since 2006 • 834 Posts

This is what I love best about the industry. cool sh*t like this.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I don't see the Bloodborne connection. Looks more like the lava castle from DS2.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Well it’s not exactly concept art for Bloodborne but more like a concept for something intended for Dark Souls which the developers then repurposed it and used it in Bloodborne.