Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Good guy MS gonna good guy MS.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/2020-07-08-microsoft-reportedly-blocking-publishers-from-charging-for-xbox-series-x-upgrades

Microsoft has reportedly been telling developers and publishers they are not allowed to charge players who wish to upgrade from the Xbox One version of their games to Xbox Series X.

That's according to sources speaking to VideoGamesChronicle, which reports Xbox is encouraging companies to offer free next-gen upgrades, either via its Smart Delivery initiative or their own scheme.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Good on them. Of course - these companies will find a way to make that money back.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

This is another good move by Microsoft. I hope Sony adopts this idea.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

MS with yet another pro consumer move.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

That’s a very good pro consumer move of them. I approve. 👍

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

For the players

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

Great news.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 748 Posts

Microsoft really reaching to attempt to beat Sony and they'll still lose, lol.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@virusvaccine21: You're sad enough to read an article which describes a positive move for gamers, and try and turn it into a Sony thread....

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pedro

@virusvaccine21 said:

Microsoft really reaching to attempt to beat Sony and they'll still lose, lol.

Why would you shill against something that is beneficial to you?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

This seems unusually un-cuntish for an industry that lauds cuntyness.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

@virusvaccine21:

Cows

HaH

Bless

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pedro

@uninspiredcup said:

I don't understand why console gamers are so pro things that are against gamers.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Phil Spencer needs to be replaced by Andrew Wilson.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts

Pro-consumer move but, I don't see how this sits well with some publishers.

---

- Offer free upgrade through Smart Delivery (the best solution)

- Offer dual entitlements / cross-gen bundles (upcoming games or re-releases only)

ex. NBA 2K21 (Limited Edition only) and, Madden 21 (limited time)

- Charge you "full" price for a new SKU

Removed: Charge you some fee to upgrade.

---

Publishers will choose the $$$ route so removing the least costly option isn't that great imo.

That being said, I think *most* upgrades will likely fall under the dual entitlements / cross-gen bundles.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

This is good. No need for remasters of games that are only a few years old.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15919 Posts

good for consumers. losing actually brings change so I hope Mirosoft loses (?) again so we get more.

That aside is been a long way back from those days where Microsoft forces Valve to charge DLCs that is free on PC and also forces dev to pay for any updates to game.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

May have some games not being released then, telling someone you are not allowed? They are businesses for F sake.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Just read this, what you said is not 100% accurate.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/444397/microsoft-encouraging-devs-to-offer-free-xbox-one-to-xbox-series-x-upgrades/

LetsHaveFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LetsHaveFun
Member since 2020 • 369 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/444397/microsoft-encouraging-devs-to-offer-free-xbox-one-to-xbox-series-x-upgrades/

Yup and the article they used in the OP says this

"However, developers and publishers who choose not to support Smart Delivery can still offer owners of current-gen games a discount on purchasing a second next-gen version of the game on the Microsoft Store. Theoretically, third-party publishers could also charge for physical game upgrades via their own schemes, such as via retailer promotions."

They're just encouraging it!

They can still charge you for the upgrade inside and outside of Microsofts store.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@letshavefun said:
@Random_Matt said:

Yup and the article they used in the OP says this

"However, developers and publishers who choose not to support Smart Delivery can still offer owners of current-gen games a discount on purchasing a second next-gen version of the game on the Microsoft Store. Theoretically, third-party publishers could also charge for physical game upgrades via their own schemes, such as via retailer promotions."

They're just encouraging it!

They can still charge you for the upgrade inside and outside of Microsofts store.

Awww, Lems can't catch a break. :(

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#23 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

MS is doing everything right except making great first party games (outside the Forza Horizon series)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

So they are just encouraging it then? Oh well, it’s still a good thing for them to try and do anyway. 🤷‍♂️

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 748 Posts

@sealionact said:

@virusvaccine21: You're sad enough to read an article which describes a positive move for gamers, and try and turn it into a Sony thread....

Lol, you also do that with positive PS threads so why the salt, lembot?

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

This is bad for developers that want to make money its just a pro consumer move i guess Maybe devs riot here you really shouldn't go against them

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7165 Posts

@Pedro said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I don't understand why console gamers are so pro things that are against gamers.

because most gamers are not business people like i said earlier. it takes time and money for these developers to upgrade these games to next gen. if the system did it itself then yes it should be free. granted if it is free its awesome for us and i will be happy. should they be full price no. i was happy paying 10 dollars for my black flag ps4 version start of this gen after i bought the ps3 version because i was getting a better game in the end.

think about it if they made a launch game from this gen that is 7 or so years ago then they spend time making a upgraded version should we get it for free? that money they got 7 years ago is spent already on there next project this gen. less money they make the less money they have to make there next gen only title. developers don't get paid after the games come out. they get pay checks like us.

if there free they will think of other ways to get that money. like buying a player in sports games or sell armor that would have been in the game etc. or just not do it at all leaving us not getting updated games. I rather pay ten than to have to buy in game content.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Phlop_Spencer
Member since 2020 • 1476 Posts

Disingenuous

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pedro

@gifford38 said:

because most gamers are not business people like i said earlier. it takes time and money for these developers to upgrade these games to next gen. if the system did it itself then yes it should be free. granted if it is free its awesome for us and i will be happy. should they be full price no. i was happy paying 10 dollars for my black flag ps4 version start of this gen after i bought the ps3 version because i was getting a better game in the end.

think about it if they made a launch game from this gen that is 7 or so years ago then they spend time making a upgraded version should we get it for free? that money they got 7 years ago is spent already on there next project this gen. less money they make the less money they have to make there next gen only title. developers don't get paid after the games come out. they get pay checks like us.

if there free they will think of other ways to get that money. like buying a player in sports games or sell armor that would have been in the game etc. or just not do it at all leaving us not getting updated games. I rather pay ten than to have to buy in game content.

It is always important to keep things within context. I realize you have a tendency of taking arguments outside of scope to artificially force your agenda. This policy is for games released on the the console this year that may have a next gen version shortly there after and not about games made 7 years ago. Please avoid this useless scenarios.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

This is why you console people need to shake the idea of gens. It's just computer with different mo-better hardware. You guys left the console gen cycle when you decided to make consoles regular x86 machines.

The notion of gens has made console-only devs lazy and weak.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gifford38

@Pedro said:
@gifford38 said:

It is always important to keep things within context. I realize you have a tendency of taking arguments outside of scope to artificially force your agenda. This policy is for games released on the the console this year that may have a next gen version shortly there after and not about games made 7 years ago. Please avoid this useless scenarios.

i did with the black flag above. i paid 10 dollars instead of 60. but i also covered other games as well. you don't think there going to have a last of us 2 or ghost or horizon zero dawn upgraded versions? those are the games i hope i can only pay 10 or so for a updated version if the ps4 versions don't get updated on there own.

this is what i don't want and this is what im afraid of. This is the route 2K Games has taken, positioning the $99.99/£84.99 bundle of NBA 2K21 for Xbox One and Xbox Series X as the Mamba Forever Edition.

that's way more than 10 dollars.

what i was trying to say 10 is a sweet price for updated versions. instead of 100 dollars for two versions if they don't want to give away there game for free or instead of this to just not do it at all leaving us not getting updated games. I rather pay ten than to have to buy in game content as well.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Why would a publisher do this anyway? They would get outed by YouTubers and the media and look bad. Then again, there are companies like EA who doesn’t seem to care about their reputation.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro

@gifford38: Or they can simply allow for the games you mentioned to just be upgraded at no additional cost to people who already own the game. I don't want to pay $10 for the same game with just native support for the newer systems. This goes right back to the notion that console gamers love supporting things that are no in their favor.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gifford38

@Pedro said:

@gifford38: Or they can simply allow for the games you mentioned to just be upgraded at no additional cost to people who already own the game. I don't want to pay $10 for the same game with just native support for the newer systems. This goes right back to the notion that console gamers love supporting things that are no in their favor.

no im not im saying for the ones that don't want to give it away for free. do i like for free better yes but if the developer does not want to i rather pay 10 than 100 on two versions of the same game. why do you always twist my words? i never said i rather pay 10 than to get it for free.

same with old games to that came out 5 years ago or so i hope there 10 or free instead of buying it at 30 which is the price of most remasters when they come out.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts

How can they even do that? Didn't they say that publishers can choose to take advantage of Smart Delivery? Pretty sure there are already a number of games announced that are not using Smart Delivery.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pedro

@gifford38 said:

no im not im saying for the ones that don't want to give it away for free. do i like for free better yes but if the developer does not want to i rather pay 10 than 100 on two versions of the same game. why do you always twist my words? i never said i rather pay 10 than to get it for free.

same with old games to that came out 5 years ago or so i hope there 10 or free instead of buying it at 30 which is the price of most remasters when they come out.

Nowhere in my comment twisted anything you stated. This is not about old games and I don't know why you keep referencing old games.

LetsHaveFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LetsHaveFun
Member since 2020 • 369 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

How can they even do that? Didn't they say that publishers can choose to take advantage of Smart Delivery? Pretty sure there are already a number of games announced that are not using Smart Delivery.

The article headline says they're forcing them.

The article text says they are encouraging it and allowing them to charge whatever they want.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

Thank you for yet another pro-consumer move MS.

I highly doubt Sony would be doing the same thing.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gifford38

@hrt_rulz01 said:

same thing you said when xbox announced cyber punk smart delivery everyone was saying that the ps5 version would not be free. now we know it will be free as well.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

Xbox Series X can not get here fast enough.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

This is good for the consumer and no one should debate it.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
@hrt_rulz01 said:

MS is not forcing deveopers per say because they can't do that,but they are pushing for developers to get on board obviously is looking for a good eye from consumer.

But is a good move.

Sony already let us know that is up to developers,i don't think a reveloper will dare to give it free on xbox and charge for it on PS with all the bad press that would carry this days.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9547 Posts

Look, I'm all for this... MS is going all in and willing to lose large chunks of cash in order to try and grab a larger base of users. I can respect that, but it also looks like there is a little desperation mixed in. Kind of like they are just shoving cash forward and if it doesn't work out they will probably leave the console arena. Which I hope I am entirely wrong on.. just what it looks like to me. Kind of like a "hey SONY can you match this?" Like they know SONY needs the profit and can't afford taking losses like that if they follow in pursuit. Seems risky and I'm sure they have SONY more than a little uncomfortable at this point in time. It will be fun to see how this all plays out.

I hope it does work. I would love to see MS and SONY going head to head and forcing each other to outdo each other at every turn. That is a true winning scenario (in theory) for every true gamer out there. However where you take losses and cut corners there will be setbacks and trust falls in other key areas, which will likely come in the form of higher game prices, more paid DLC, "convenience items", season passes, loot boxes (or another way to get around the whole gambling debacle), etc. Those things don't bother me, but I know they really get under some people's skin, and honestly I don't think you are going to have less pay to win, loot boxes, and all that if they make things more "consumer friendly", by cutting costs in other key areas, which appears to mainly be in cost of entry while likely making many players feel alienated once they get into the game and find paywalls or crucial paid DLC that they either can't afford or simply don't wish to purchase.

Like I've said a thousand other times I support every console and platform. Value isn't the most important thing for me, but I know it is for many others. I just wonder how they plan on recouping all these losses outside of the things I've already mentioned (if they plan on recouping at all.. perhaps that is their goal for the long run, take losses now for more profit later?). I mean, on one hand I know it's MS and they have money to burn, to say the least. However, if they keep going the route of cheaper services (and other things like $1 for 3 months deals and other things like that) and promising free upgrades then at some point they are going to have to stop those things unless they believe that they can get their $ spent per person much higher than other platforms while also eating into a large percentage of their untapped market share from this gen (which they proved they could last gen).

Pro-consumer on the front end.. sure, but at what cost overall? If they can manage this moving forward and find a balance with their services and turn a good profit to insure the longevity of their products then I say it's a good move, but if this method fails are they going to abandon the services or just cancel more games and set their sights on something new once more? Do I have my doubts? Sure, but MS is taking some bold moves to shake things up and they are willing to try something different, and I respect the hell out of that. Shaking things up and pushing innovative ideas? Sure, why not. Just keep the option of physical media and support your products and people like me will support the endeavor.

Don't think I'm being anti MS (I'm just concerned), because I'm not a fanboy of any one thing. I play on everything and spend plenty on each and will preorder both the XSX and PS5 the day they go live. These are just concerns I have. Sure, this isn't their first rodeo (and yes, I'm aware that people stake their livelihoods and reputations on this), but I want to see both come out the gates very strong and make profits. (not saying MS isn't already.. since I don't know, but it seems difficult to envision) If only to re-insure that neither is going anywhere any time soon.

I think it's safe to say that these bold moves MS are making will have to pan out for them or they will either have to drastically shake things up or reconsider their position once again, and that is what scares me about the whole thing.

I'm pulling for both and Nintendo as well. Hell, I'm even pulling for Atari VCS and all the other small fish in the sea as well. I'll even throw in PC and mobile while I'm at it. All video games matter, and I support the industry. One thing I can say for sure is that it's making things exciting and I can hardly wait to hear and see what's coming next.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

This is awesome news. I just wish MS was this passionate when it comes to making a good video game that didn’t flop .

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61485 Posts

From what i've read, MS are advising publishers to offer a free next-gen upgrade, and not saying they outright can't. It's a good move that could stop the double-dipping from devs/pubs, but could just force a monetary gain from other aspects, like subscriptions and DLC.

faponte13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 faponte13
Member since 2013 • 263 Posts

As good as this sounds this is gonna have some unintended consequences.

First is games that are only digital wont offer upgrades because there is no incentive to do so. Or they will sell a more expensive full version call the definitive addition for alot more. Either way if i had the original game I rather have the option to upgrade for a few bucks than rebuy the full game.

The second is that disk based games will not offer a digital upgrade for say 10 bucks but will force you to buy a new disk altogether.

Good effort but this is gonna backfire.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

This is pro consumer. Any sheep in here defending double dipping should be writing cheques to their favourite developer right now - otherwise they’re hypocrites.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Good. Devs that charge better get shit on on youtube, twitter and reddit.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pedro

This is really not that big of deal because its only viable for the first year of the console.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

I'm sure some publishers are salivating at the idea of charging for that upgrade so good on MS.