User Lists: 0

#101 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20104 Posts

@UnnDunn said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@tdkmillsy said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@Pedro said:

Don't be silly. COD is still one of the best selling yearly games and Activision/Blizzard is a major player in the industry. Let us not pretend this is a trivial acquisition. This was a strategic move and a major one.

I'm not saying it's trivial. But obviously MS is going to put COD behind Gamepass and potentially cut off other platforms from it. How does that make MS the money it was making Activision? Especially with Call Of Duty declining in popularity and sales?

Do they have to remove it from other systems??

Or just make it available on GamePass as well.

As evidenced by the Bethesda acquisition, they will absolutely remove it from other systems. Contrary to popular belief, MS still believes in exclusives. They believe in ecosystem exclusives where you can only get games through them on a specific set of platforms. But these games were only as big because they were everywhere. So I'm just wondering how this makes them money if they go down the Bethesda route.

Let's not be too hasty. Microsoft bought Mojang, and Minecraft is still available on all gaming platforms. And it's possible that Sony still has an exclusive content deal for Call of Duty, which would mean that it would still come to PlayStation, at least for a while.

That was before gamepass though. Apparently, we're going to have to wait until next summer to see.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Phil just had enough of Jimbo's exclusive cod weapon skins and said **** it

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:

MS literally has the power to condemn Bobby by firing him for being disgusting and they leave him there?

It makes no sense to remove someone without a plan.

It's been done before. Stop defending this crap.

They are still independent… The deal isn’t done… They can’t fire someone they don’t have control over. MS already sent a release stating that once the deal is done, Activision will report directly to Phil Spencer. Thats PR and legal speak for Bobby being gone next June.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#104 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69474 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:

MS literally has the power to condemn Bobby by firing him for being disgusting and they leave him there?

Defending? Stating the obviousness is defending? This news really have you in stupid mode. I will wait until you return to "normal".

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#105 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts
@Zero_epyon said:

But Bobby is still there.

I doubt he'll stay for long after the deal is done in June 2023. Doesn't seem like a guy who likes taking orders.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58956 Posts
The man that cannot be stopped
The man that cannot be stopped
Loading Video...
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#107 Zero_epyon
@R4gn4r0k said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@UnnDunn said:
@goldenelementxl said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Apparently, that came with Blizzard and King so they get Overwatch Candy Crush and Diablo.

Ok, but name 3 more…

I love seeing so much chaos in the gaming world. People on the PS side are gonna have a real tough time with this one.

Warcraft and Starcraft are still huge franchises.

Doesn't Activision also hold the rights to Crash Bandiccot?

The two studios that were making Crash games for them (Vicarious and Toys for Bob) are now relegated to COD support studios.

I really hope MS doesn't just put everything on COD while the other IPs die of death. It'll be a really bad bet.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

This is silly. How is this kind of movement good for gaming?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Zero_epyon

@goldenelementxl said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:

They are still independent… The deal isn’t done… They can’t fire someone they don’t have control over. MS already sent a release stating that once the deal is done, Activision will report directly to Phil Spencer. Thats PR and legal speak for Bobby being gone next June.

I just learned of this. I hope that's what happens.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@super600 said:

I highly doubt cod will become exclusive only to Xbox platforms and PC once this deal is approved. Microsoft is going to lose money if they do that

Why? They will push the diehards to their platform. That equals more money. COD is still the best selling franchise every year. Now all those consumers need to join the Xbox ecosystem to play their game. This is the shift Xbox and Game Pass needed.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#111 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

I hate this. I don't buy Activision games, kinda sucks if I have to end up blacklisting MS too.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Zero_epyon

@Chutebox said:

This is silly. How is this kind of movement good for gaming?

It's not.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#113 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

To people complaining that Bobby is still there:

They HAVE to say that he's staying in place and he will until the purchase goes through. Acquisitions and mergers 101. If they say that he's fired when the deal closes then the stock drops (which it would, despite our hate for him) then the stockholders revolt and the deal falls through. They could even be sued.

To ensure a smooth acquisition and to please antitrust board members, you want as little controversy as possible. That means hands off and don't speak about your intentions.

I don't think Phil will fire Bobby, I think he will step down. Bobby likes to be in charge and he wouldn't be anymore. There's likely an agreement with him to remain during the transition. It's how these things work

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Poo cows...

lol :P

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Let's see if next COD ends up on PS4/PS5 anyways.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

they will hold him under their thumb for sure. Theres no more screwing around for kotick, hes on a tight leash.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:

They can't 'fire' him because the deal isn't closed yet and legally they can't even demand any changes or comment on that as that would be considered 'influencing' the business before the deal.

The problem is not whether they will fire Bobby or won't. He would still have made bank via bonus for closing the deal for the shareholders.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#118 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

Just think of all the million who buy a PS5 for CoD. Now PS5 is hard to find, and it has no CoD. Xbox just gained millions of subscribers. Well played Microsoft.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

Sounds like Microsoft is about to exit the game industry /s

This is actually bad for the industry, but is the nature of things. Market caps have become inflated so companies have money to spend on appreciating assets.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56097 Posts

If this is the only way to get Bobby fired from the office then I support MS buying Activision cause that man has got to go!

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2504 Posts

@Pedro said:
@mysticaldonut said:

Buying a studio already working with your company and creating a game for your platform is not the same as what they're doing. Unless you believe that yes of course, giant acquisitions of existing franchises is great for the industry. Monopolization is great for the industry. Microsoft is literally buying up the catalog of other big companies' games, like Activision and Bethesda, because their own internal studios can't create games that are competitive enough with Sony. Lol

Cry me a river. Activision/Blizzard has been working with Xbox and creating games for the Xbox platform. There goes your first silly reasoning. I clearly stated that this was bad for the industry but you Sony fannies celebrated when Sony made acquisitions, celebrated exclusives and now gritting your teeth when the competition does the same on a monumental scale. There is no monopoly, so don't through around words you don't understand. It is clear that you Sony fannies got EXACTLY what you all were begging for over the past several years. Don't cry now. 😂

Uh, they've been working with Sony just as much, if not more, especially since PS4. PS4 sold way more copies of CoD than Xbox One did.

I don't see how you're possibly trying to compare Sony working with small to medium sized developers like MM on Littlebigplanet, Sucker Punch on Infamous, Housemarque on Returnal etc. then purchasing those devs after their game did well for Playstation with Microsoft outright buying giant corporations and their existing library of multiplatform titles but go on.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts
@Zero_epyon said:

I really hope MS doesn't just put everything on COD while the other IPs die of death. It'll be a really bad bet.

I agree, but I don't think that would happen. It would be silly to pay 50B and not maximize the value of IPs that have room to grow.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

In this instance I doubt they remove franchises like COD from any other platform unless the caveat to Sony is to allow GamePass on PlayStation.

This was in Phil's blog today

Activision Blizzard games are enjoyed on a variety of platforms and we plan to continue to support those communities moving forward.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Zero_epyon

@pc_rocks said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:

They can't 'fire' him because the deal isn't closed yet and legally they can't even demand any changes or comment on that as that would be considered 'influencing' the business before the deal.

The problem is not whether they will fire Bobby or won't. He would still have made bank via bonus for closing the deal for the shareholders.

Yup I just learned about the deal being final next year.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Mesome713

@regnaston: Sony can add Cloud gaming. Lol. Sony has no games now 😊

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By SecretPolice

Hey now, does this put MS back in charge of Bungie since Act. is the pub. of Destiny and D2? lol :P

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Lol.

Far as I'm concerned Actiblizz games don't exist.

I'd love to see MS completely gut the company. I don't care if I have nostalgic memories of the Blizzard of my childhood. The walking corpse that is modern Blizz is morally bankrupt and should be destroyed and salvaged for parts.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#128 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts
@regnaston said:

In this instance I doubt they remove franchises like COD from any other platform unless the caveat to Sony is to allow GamePass on PlayStation.

This was in Phil's blog today

Activision Blizzard games are enjoyed on a variety of platforms and we plan to continue to support those communities moving forward.

They won't remove existing instalments from other platforms, but just like Bethesda, all future ActiBlizz games are definitely going exclusive.

The one to watch is Overwatch 2, whether they'll release before or after that June 2023 deadline. Could be a 50/50 thing.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Mesome713

@SecretPolice: O man, what if they make new Halo like Destiny 🙃

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Pedro

@mysticaldonut: Sony purchases studios one at a time, MS purchases in bulk. You are trying to make one more virtuous than the other when it isn't.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2504 Posts
@Pedro said:

@mysticaldonut: Sony purchases studios one at a time, MS purchases in bulk. You are trying to make one more virtuous than the other when it isn't.

How are you unable to comprehend the difference between PUBLISHER vs DEVELOPER. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 SecretPolice

@mesome713:

Lol either way it's gonna make for some good SW material.

Well, if you're not part of the bovine brigade that is. lol :P

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#133 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8854 Posts

@zmanbarzel: Wow. I am not sure I like this, I like competition.

LetsHaveFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 LetsHaveFun
Member since 2020 • 369 Posts

Call of Duty sucks so who cares? let me know when they buy something good.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

apparently kotick has a $300million golden parachute if he gets fired. Better to keep him for now then fire his ass when contract renewal comes up.

these crooked bastards always have backup plans

LetsHaveFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By LetsHaveFun
Member since 2020 • 369 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@SecretPolice: O man, what if they make new Halo like Destiny 🙃

Bungie could just say no. They left MS and Activision. I doubt they'd wanna worki with their fusion.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@SecretPolice: Bungie left Activision last year I thought.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Pedro

@mysticaldonut: I know the difference. I am simply explaining to you in the simplest terms and you still don't get it. It doesn't matter how the studios are acquired, the fact is that both companies have been purchasing studios. You falsely believe one is more virtuous than the other when it is not. The end results are the same, they acquire studios.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2134 Posts

The people thinking that Bobby will somehow suffer from this must be insane. The guy is the CEO, he'll get a % of the deal's value, this move will make him more money than working at Activision for a decade.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 SecretPolice

@vfighter:

Well to be fair I was just being a bit facetious because Bungie remains independent but to my knowledge Activision remains the publisher of both Destiny's, Bungie's only active IP. :P

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 uninspiredcup

@ghost_of_phobos said:

I hate this. I don't buy Activision games, kinda sucks if I have to end up blacklisting MS too.

All be doing here is hurting yourself.

Besides, if it's for some moral reason, got bad news, all of these companies are evil.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 VFighter

@SecretPolice: I don't know all the details, but Destiny 2 was supposed to end it's run with Activision after a certain time period. Bungie is still the owners of the IP unless something drastically changed.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#143 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Damn ... this was unexpected. I want to be positive and i hope this goes well for Blizzard's employees and franchises. As for Sony, i don't think they are in full panic mode but is going to hurt in the long run.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 VFighter

@rmpumper: Sadly you are correct. He either stays as CEO and makes UNGODLY amounts of money, or he leaves and get a severance package that would make Bill Gates blush, either way he wins.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 BlessedbyHorus
Member since 2010 • 189 Posts

This is ridiculous. Sony has to do something. Not good for the industry.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By SecretPolice

@vfighter:

Perhaps they got wind of this deal go down and said no way will we be in bed with MS again. lol :P

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#147 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

@vfighter said:

@rmpumper: Sadly you are correct. He either stays as CEO and makes UNGODLY amounts of money, or he leaves and get a severance package that would make Bill Gates blush, either way he wins.

Why the concern over Bobby Kotick?

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 blaznwiipspman1

@vfighter said:

the bad guys are always winning in our world sad to say. Its always been like that. Reminds me of charlie sheen #winning

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 blaznwiipspman1

this whole thing reminds me of MS trying to buy out nintendo way back in the day. Looks like MS really are that crazy.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By uninspiredcup
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

the bad guys are always winning in our world sad to say. Its always been like that. Reminds me of charlie sheen #winning

If only the free peoples of middle earth banded together and held placards saying "you're bad".