Microsoft: Blu-ray costs holding PS3 back

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

Microsoft: Blu-ray costs holding PS3 back

Is Blu-ray the root of Sony's troubles in the gaming space? Aaron Greenberg, Microsoft's director of product management, seems to think so.

Speaking to Edge magazine in a recent interview, Greenberg said that because "Sony bet on the physical disc" for entertainment, it's facing "associated costs" that might be holding the PlayStation 3 back.

PS3 Slim

Is Blu-ray to blame for PS3 woes?

"The fact that we're able to offer a console starting at $199 is a benefit of not being burdened with that cost," Greenberg told Edge. "Being $100 cheaper is part of the reason why we're nearly twice [Sony's] installed base."

Greenberg was also quick to point out that Microsoft offers HD movies and television shows through Xbox Live.

Whether or not Blu-ray is really the reason Sony is trailing Microsoft is decidedly up for debate. Price has been a thorn in Sony's side since the release of the PlayStation 3. Due to powerful components, including but not limited to Blu-ray, the company was forced to keep the PS3's price high for a substantial period of time.

But once Sony announced the PS3 Slim and its $299 price tag in August, sales started taking off. In fact, The NPD Group reported recently that Sony tallied 30 percent year-over-year sales growth in February.

Going forward, some analysts believe Sony, not Microsoft or Nintendo, will lead this console generation. Analysts at Strategic Analytics said in a report last week that they expect the PlayStation 3 to have a longer shelf life than competing console, which should help it enjoy commercial success "five years after the Wii has been replaced."

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. But for now, isolating Blu-ray as Sony's problem might be just more posturing on Microsoft's part.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61513 Posts

Sony no doubt incurred a huge cost which was partially passed on to consumers in the form of Blu-Ray. They went out competitively and pushed Blu-Ray into the market, which was a good move, but undoubtedly it held back there install base due to high launch prices.

Am I completely misunderstanding, or did he say MS has almost twice the install base of Sony?

fastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fastr
Member since 2010 • 2100 Posts
Gotta tell ya, I wouldn't take anything MS, sony or nintendo say about their competitors seriously. I gotta say tho.. usually it's Sony coming up with this nonsense, why is MS sinking to their third place level?
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#4 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
At the beginning perhaps it was one of the main reasons of the so generous cost of the ps3 so it could be a problem at that time but I think now it isn't, in fact, I think it is better for developers now because they can add more content into their games without the problem of using multiple disks. See for example Star Ocean The Last Hope, in the ps3 it only takes one disc and on the 360 it takes like 2 or 3 discs, I don't know.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50604 Posts

"Being $100 cheaper is part of the reason why we're nearly twice [Sony's] installed base."

I'm assuming he's talking NA only? I hope so at least...

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61513 Posts

"Being $100 cheaper is part of the reason why we're nearly twice [Sony's] installed base."

Chutebox

I guess it would make sense that way. Any other way, and that's why I was a little confused :P

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Miroku32

Chutebox

Yeah, only in North America because in the rest of America in the HD war the ps3 is currently leading. I don't know why it is only in United States and Canada that the 360 is winning but in the other countries of America the ps3 is leading with a huge margin.

VauxhalI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 VauxhalI
Member since 2007 • 909 Posts

I don't think so. I think the main reason that the Ps3 sales are lagging is because the system is too intimidating, and their marketing strategies have always been a bit peculiar. You can sell anything with the right slogan, and Sony doesn't have the right Slogan. Compare the commercials of the three currentgen systems; Sony's are completely absurd compared to it's competitors.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chutebox  Online

I don't think so. I think the main reason that the Ps3 sales are lagging is because the system is too intimidating, and their marketing strategies have always been a bit peculiar. You can sell anything with the right slogan, and Sony doesn't have the right Slogan. Compare the commercials of the three currentgen systems; Sony's are completely absurd compared to it's competitors.

VauxhalI
Uh, what? Sony, now, have easily the best commercials. When it first came out many would agree with you, but now? No chance. Also, Greenburg as much as it pains me to say it, is right. But he's also stating the freaking obvious. Who wouldn't expect a $600 system to sell poorly compared to other systems?
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#10 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

but how can ps3 last 15 years rotflol that analyst will fail,

cause wii isnt being replaced until the ps4 and 720 come so there,

and once that happens nintendo is declared this gens winner ,

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

Miroku32

Yeah, only in North America because in the rest of America in the HD war the ps3 is currently leading. I don't know why it is only in United States and Canada that the 360 is winning but in the other countries of America the ps3 is leading with a huge margin.

360 is leading PS3 in both NA and EU.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Miroku32

[QUOTE="Miroku32"]

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

Zero5000X

Oh yeah, my bad, forgot all Europe but in America only Canada and United States. In the other places the ps3 is leading but correct me if I'm wrong.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chutebox  Online

[QUOTE="Miroku32"]

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

Zero5000X

I don't know if they are. Keep in mind this is VG I'm using, but they have Ps3 trailing 360 by around 5m WW and 360 beating Ps3 in NA by almost 10m. I think they're around each other if anything...I don't know. Back to actual homework!

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

Gotta tell ya, I wouldn't take anything MS, sony or nintendo say about their competitors seriously. I gotta say tho.. usually it's Sony coming up with this nonsense, why is MS sinking to their third place level?fastr
That tends to happen when MS unleashes Greenburg at least.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
Teh Arrogance :o
Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Disturbed123
Member since 2005 • 1665 Posts

£160 for elite

£200 for Ps3

that extra £40 covers internal Wifi, so Microsoft = Fail!

And lets not forget the hypocrisy. MS HD DVD Anyone?

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

blu ray will add to the life cycle of the PS3, games are already taking 2+ disks even with compression ......... i believe Sony made the right choice, the blu ray advantage is becoming more and more apparant with progession into this generation. Another point is that, Sony obviously was trying to made an all in one entertainment package, Wi-fi, blu-ray, 3Ds, support for many video and audio formats, installing other OS ...etc .

VauxhalI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 VauxhalI
Member since 2007 • 909 Posts

[QUOTE="VauxhalI"]

Chutebox

Uh, what? Sony, now, have easily the best commercials. When it first came out many would agree with you, but now? No chance. Also, Greenburg as much as it pains me to say it, is right. But he's also stating the freaking obvious. Who wouldn't expect a $600 system to sell poorly compared to other systems?

Oh, my bad. Now they're just making fun of their competition. That's much better, that's what sells.

GreyFoXX4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GreyFoXX4
Member since 2008 • 3612 Posts

Now we know why lemmings only go by npd sales, cause the memo was sent out by MS themselves. Unless they truly beleive that they ahave double the install base in wolrd wide sales. If not they only want to talk about npd because thats the only place they are winning in at the moment lol. Lemmings we fully understand now.

TheSterls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheSterls
Member since 2009 • 3117 Posts

I think its funny Microsoft talks about how they can sell the 360 for $199 and then totally forget to mention you need to spend another $100 to buy a harddrive that can download all those HD Movies.

lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lespaul1919
Member since 2003 • 7074 Posts

it does add aditional cost, which I gladly paid since I wanted a blu-ray player.

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts

Just when PS3 names were talking crap about everyone else Greenberg has to say this. The only way Blu-ray is holding PS3 back is the price. And if people just buy something because of the price and not what they are buying it for then, my God what has the world come to? There is an advertisement on the the page that says, "Sale $699.99 80 GB PS3" That's a great deal.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

blu ray will add to the life cycle of the PS3, games are already taking 2+ disks even with compression ......... i believe Sony made the right choice, the blu ray advantage is becoming more and more apparant with progession into this generation. Another point is that, Sony obviously was trying to made an all in one entertainment package, Wi-fi, blu-ray, 3Ds, support for many video and audio formats, installing other OS ...etc .

2mrw

I believe that Sony will go with Blu-ray for PS4 too. Atleast I would think. Wouldn't make sense for them to make another format but you never know because each Sony system ALWAYS introduced a brand new format. PS1=CD PS2=DVD PSP=UMD PS3=Blu-ray PS4=???

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts
I don't like this Greenberg guy. If the Elite was $199 he might have a point, but comparing apples to apples the PS3 is a pretty good value.
2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 2mrw

So basically for more 100$ you get :

1- bluray player.

2-Wi-fi.

3-120 GB HDD.

4- free online :D.

that green man should be ashamed to say what he said.

sorry for the double post.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 2mrw
[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

[QUOTE="2mrw"]

I believe that Sony will go with Blu-ray for PS4 too. Atleast I would think. Wouldn't make sense for them to make another format but you never know because each Sony system ALWAYS introduced a brand new format. PS1=CD PS2=DVD PSP=UMD PS3=Blu-ray PS4=???

what i am sure of is that if the costs of the new format was like the bluray 3 years ago, Sony will stick with the blu-ray, not to mention blu-ray disk is upgradable.
gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts

[QUOTE="Zero5000X"]

[QUOTE="Miroku32"] 360 is leading PS3 in both NA and EU.

Miroku32

Oh yeah, my bad, forgot all Europe but in America only Canada and United States. In the other places the ps3 is leading but correct me if I'm wrong.

Why do you keep saying "only canada and united states" as if it is some small insignificant number?

I don't like this Greenberg guy. If the Elite was $199 he might have a point, but comparing apples to apples the PS3 is a pretty good value.EmperorSupreme

Sure, but when you are on a budget that you can't spare an extra 100 dollars, the cheaper alternative wins out. If the average gamer has the choice between a 360 and PS3 and they only have 200 dollars to spend... which one are they buying? There is only one correct answer to this question.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chutebox  Online

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="VauxhalI"]

VauxhalI

Oh, my bad. Now they're just making fun of their competition. That's much better, that's what sells.

That was one commercial that hasn't even aired on televisions (as far as I know). And you're taking it too seriously, can relax a bit. AAannnndd, I'm referring to the commercials for the games.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

£160 for elite

£200 for Ps3

Disturbed123

the optional add-on? :?

Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Disturbed123

[QUOTE="Disturbed123"]

£160 for elite

£200 for Ps3

CaseyWegner

which failed :? It was obvious they wanted to compete with BD.

robobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 robobie
Member since 2007 • 2172 Posts

[QUOTE="Miroku32"]

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

Zero5000X

No. Just no

CannedWorms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#32 CannedWorms
Member since 2009 • 3381 Posts

£160 for elite

£200 for Ps3

Disturbed123
:lol: PS3 for £200? Tell me where and I'll go and buy 3.
patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts

Bluray is worth it easily from HD movies, to very high capacity, to scratch resistant. The trouble is that people are tightwads/cheapskates. Sony makes a magnificent console and it sales the least because people are too cheap to pay for it.

Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

obviously costs have hampered the PS3.

And who really cares if the PS3 is still selling 5 years after the Nintendo and MS have moved on, it will be an afterthought compared to the next gen of consoles, similar to what the PS2 is now

patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 patriots7672

obviously costs have hampered the PS3.

And who really cares if the PS3 is still selling 5 years after the Nintendo and MS have moved on, it will be an afterthought compared to the next gen of consoles, similar to what the PS2 is now

Colin1192

The problem is now the 360 came out 1 year ahead of the PS3. With the PS2 there was no Xbox for 4 years.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

lundy86_4

I guess it would make sense that way. Any other way, and that's why I was a little confused :P

lol, i hope so too :P

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="Disturbed123"]

£160 for elite

£200 for Ps3

Disturbed123

optional and only played movies. :?

Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Disturbed123

[QUOTE="Disturbed123"]

£160 for elite

£200 for Ps3

CannedWorms

:lol: PS3 for £200? Tell me where and I'll go and buy 3.

Sainsbury and Asda during the launch of COD MW2

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-bargains-discount-codes/1122505-ps3-slim-199-sainsburys.html

but you can find it for £210

http://www.pctvhifi.co.uk/infopage.asp?infID=2661

patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 patriots7672

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

II_Seraphim_II

lol, i hope so too :P

To make a general statement like that means total sales, without him stating NA.

Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Disturbed123

[QUOTE="Disturbed123"]

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

and yet it failed for doing so little. It was clearly a shot at Blu Ray, and even as an optional it failed. Making it mandatory wouldve made things alot worse *looks at UMD*

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="Disturbed123"]

Disturbed123

and yet it failed for doing so little. It was clearly a shot at Blu Ray, and even as an optional it failed. Making it mandatory wouldve made things alot worse *looks at UMD*

i don't understand why you keep saying it failed. what does that have to do with hypocrisy or actually the lack of it? the thing was competely optional.

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts

[QUOTE="Miroku32"]

[QUOTE="Zero5000X"] Oh yeah, my bad, forgot all Europe but in America only Canada and United States. In the other places the ps3 is leading but correct me if I'm wrong.

gamer620

Why do you keep saying "only canada and united states" as if it is some small insignificant number?

I don't like this Greenberg guy. If the Elite was $199 he might have a point, but comparing apples to apples the PS3 is a pretty good value.EmperorSupreme

Sure, but when you are on a budget that you can't spare an extra 100 dollars, the cheaper alternative wins out. If the average gamer has the choice between a 360 and PS3 and they only have 200 dollars to spend... which one are they buying? There is only one correct answer to this question.

People needs disciplin haha.

GreyFoXX4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GreyFoXX4
Member since 2008 • 3612 Posts

[QUOTE="Miroku32"]

[QUOTE="Zero5000X"] Oh yeah, my bad, forgot all Europe but in America only Canada and United States. In the other places the ps3 is leading but correct me if I'm wrong.

gamer620

You don't buy nothing, and save up another $100 so when you get the item home you have a complete game system and not one that you will have to go out and buy something else. Heck, $200 360 doesn't get you online, you have to fork out another $50 for online play, so why not save up another $50 and get the ps3, geez.

Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Disturbed123

[QUOTE="Disturbed123"]

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

i don't understand why you keep saying it failed. what does that have to do with hypocrisy or actually the lack of it?

Peter Moore - When he was working with MS said "HD media is not needed"

they then announce HD DVD for 360, a clear indication that MS wanted to compete with Blu Ray

Another MS employee - HDMI is not needed

They release an Xbox with HDMI

Hypocrisy Much?

Now, they are saying Ps3 is being held back with blu ray which is utter nonsense. That extra £40 for Ps3 accounts for Wifi, Free online gaming, a significantly better build console, and a blu ray player.

TheDogout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheDogout
Member since 2010 • 807 Posts

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

Miroku32

Dude. The only other part is south america. America =/= 95% of the world.

KratosFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KratosFTW
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Now we know why lemmings only go by npd sales, cause the memo was sent out by MS themselves. Unless they truly beleive that they ahave double the install base in wolrd wide sales. If not they only want to talk about npd because thats the only place they are winning in at the moment lol. Lemmings we fully understand now.

GreyFoXX4

lol I was thinking the same thing

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

All I know is the PS3 right now is the best bang for buck system out.

WiFi

BluRay

Videogames

no other system offers that. And please dont count an extra HD DVD ADD ON especially since it failed.

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

Everyone talks about the BluRay drive when discussing the higher price, but what about the Cell processor that Sony used alot of money on developing?? It must take some of the blame.

Anyways, with the PS3 package you get more for the money:

- a built in 2.5" HDD that can be changed out with any brand, so you don't have to pay for overpriced HDD's.

- built in WIFI

- Bluetooth

- BD player

- Free online

- Awesome exclusives

- Better build quality

- Support for USB HDD's

- Real HDMI with support of 8 channel sound

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
Haha, just like their fanboys, MS only likes to pay attention to NA sales.
Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Bus-A-Bus
Member since 2009 • 5089 Posts

Oh it seems like MS and Sony are the best partners in this business.Telling each other what they should do and what they should not,caring about each other,they are cute:roll:

And MS charging 100$ for wire less???:evil: PEW!!!