MGS4 is still the best singleplayer game out there and potential GOTY

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ski11buzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ski11buzz
Member since 2003 • 2117 Posts

Wow, i picked this game up on launch day and was blown away at how amazing that single player experiece was, was easily the best singleplayer game ive ever played.  Now, ive only just started to play through it again and it is seriously just as good, if not better, the second time through.  All the minute detail that you can see and pick up here and there is just astounding.

But what most impresses me is that its almost a completely different experience.  Playing through it a second time is making me explore more of the environments, to the point where ive found that you can take about 3 completely different routes through act 2 (its as far as ive gotten so far my second time through, act 1 was much the same and im sure act 3 will be much the same).  the game is no where near what i consider linear - by no means open world, but is still more broad than most singleplayer games.

Combine that with amazing presentation of story, cutscenes, graphics, sneaking, real world politics, and bonus items for replaying the game, and pretty much all the crazy kojimaness that is MGS, then i very much see this game getting possible GOTY here at GS, IGN, and other sites.

10/10 material?  i say yes

CODjon84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 CODjon84
Member since 2008 • 336 Posts
Yea still the best single player this year by far.. I thought the multiplayer wasnt that great.. until I played Socom Confrontation that is. But yea, I think MGS4 will get GOTY here, i dont see GTA IV getting GOTY for some reason
tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts
i'd agree if it was on other consoles but till then sorry no its not and even then there may still be better ones
Omni-Wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Omni-Wrath
Member since 2008 • 1970 Posts
It is my but don's say it is the best. Many people bash it then. Everone has diffrent chocies and GTA4 might win. You are not a good MGS4 fan I see.
XxSTILL_BORNxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 XxSTILL_BORNxX
Member since 2007 • 5749 Posts
I Agree 100% , although i don't think it will win GOTY here because MGS4 will be remembered by fans of the series ... i don't think the newcomers would love MGS4 ... i for one am a BIG fan and i love the MGS series with all my heart.
ski11buzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ski11buzz

i'd agree if it was on other consoles but till then sorry no its not and even then there may still be better onestony2077ca

why does it matter what console its on?

ski11buzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ski11buzz

It is my but don's say it is the best. Many people bash it then. Everone has diffrent chocies and GTA4 might win. You are not a good MGS4 fan I see. Omni-Wrath

how am i not an MGS fan if i spent all this time making a thread about the game?  sorry, not sure where you're going with this man

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

how does a game with 80% cutscene 20% gameplay wins GAME of the year?

halokila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 halokila
Member since 2007 • 317 Posts
^ because that 20% kicks ass. lol
Melee_Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Melee_Penguin
Member since 2007 • 82 Posts

My wife, whom is a huge fan of the MGS series, said that it was great to play another MGS game, but felt that the cutscenes were way too much.

She's fallen asleep twice during cutscenes that I know of on late gaming nights. 

It's a great game sure, but best singleplayer game EVER? Hardly. GOTY? Probable.

TheProdigyIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 TheProdigyIV
Member since 2008 • 483 Posts

Amazing just AMAZING single player. Online isn't half bad either. 10/10 Material EASY.

Candy-Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Candy-Star
Member since 2004 • 4378 Posts
Of course.. every game I've encountered afterward seemed medicore =(
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

My wife, whom is a huge fan of the MGS series, said that it was great to play another MGS game, but felt that the cutscenes were way too much.

She's fallen asleep twice during cutscenes that I know of on late gaming nights.

It's a great game sure, but best singleplayer game EVER? Hardly. GOTY? Probable.

Melee_Penguin

well i should marry ur wife cause i'm in the same boat as her as i'm also a fan of the series but felt the cutscenes were to long. I didnt fall asleep though

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Meh, MGS4 didn't do it for me. The gameplay and story left me in a state of boredom.
Omni-Wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Omni-Wrath
Member since 2008 • 1970 Posts
Indeed the cusceans were long but I enjoyed them. My friend made me pay him to watch the cutsceans.
Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts
When making a thread like this...ALWAYS start it with..."in my opinion"...BEST is just opinion.
tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts

[QUOTE="tony2077ca"]i'd agree if it was on other consoles but till then sorry no its not and even then there may still be better onesski11buzz

why does it matter what console its on?

because i don't have that console and i don't think i ever will 360 been too nice to me except the noise level

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts
Played through it 6 times already on my SDTV, although I prefer MGS3, this is definately a great conclusion to the series....Might play through it a seventh time once I purchase an HDTV...I mean, I was blown away on my sdtv..but I just to see how good it will look. in HD
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

No its not.

Its the best story driven, I can give it that at least.  

mgsbethatgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mgsbethatgame
Member since 2007 • 1384 Posts
i agree
jsnowbordr47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 jsnowbordr47
Member since 2003 • 104 Posts

MGS4 has the best single player game??  Na, I don't agree with that.  A good single player game is one that I really enjoy playing more than 3 times. I mean, I beat it (MGS4) several times on different difficulties, but after the initial play through, I was like, "Well this is a whole lot of nothing". Heck, I have more fun playing the Halo 2 campaign over again without co-op. 

Honestly I have more fun playing MGS2 than I did playing MGS4, and I've played through MGS2 too many times to count, I don't know what it was, but MGS4 just wasn't as much fun... I think it had something to do with the fact that you need to watch the cutscenes to really enjoy the game, but they are so long that you just skip them after your first run.

If i was going to pick a game that had the best single player and was a potential contender for GOTY it'd be between Fable 2, Fallout 3, and GTA 4 (I have yet to play Gears of War 2 or Resistance 2 but those would probably be there too). But Fable 2, GTA 4, and Fallout 3 had truly memorable single player campaigns that you really wanted to play through multiple times or in the case of GTA 4 was so large that you never run out of things to do.

Honestly, when I was playing MGS4, I was mostly playing to see the next cutscene, and once I had seen them all, there wasn't much else to play for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc time through, sure there are things to pick up and other routes to take, but since I was just skipping the cutscenes, there was less of an incentive to continue playing. And honestly, some of the strongest games are the ones that have very few or even no cutscens (Half-Life 2, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1/2, Rainbow Six: Vegas). I found that MGS4's gameplay had a hard time standing by itself without the support of it's beautiful cutscenes.  Now, for the record, I still like the game, I think it's a very good 3rd person action game, but I don't think it's worthy of being GOTY. That should go to a game that not only rode it's hype train, but lived up to it's hype multiple times, not just once. 

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts
I agree. It's my favorite game this generation and my GOTY. I'm confident that it'll win alot of awards from publications and the industry alike.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
But that experience isn't for everyone. Only Metal Gear Solid fans truly appreciate it's styIe.
vibrantdesign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 vibrantdesign
Member since 2008 • 530 Posts
Metal Gear Solid 4 is an amazing game. One of the best games in recent memory, and a serious GOTY contender.
Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Episode_Eve

But that experience isn't for everyone. Only Metal Gear Solid fans truly appreciate it's styIe.foxhound_fox

Yeah, it doesn't have the casual appeal of a game like Halo, but there are a crap load of MGS fans. The sales numbers prove it. I don't believe that it soley appeals to fans though, because my cousin is a casual gamer and loves MGS.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts
MGS4 is probably the best game ive played this gen. I can't think of anything that is better than it.
Avatar image for Tragic_Kingdom7
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Tragic_Kingdom7
Member since 2008 • 4011 Posts

I think that both GTA4 and Super Mario Galaxy are much stronger single player experiences due to having more scope. Metal Gear Solid 4 doesn't have enough meat on its bones. When one concedes how much of the game the cutscenes make up, the actual game is pretty damn short and breif. The later stages of the game started to feel like cutscenes stringed together with boss battles.

Also, GTA4 and Mario Galaxy had better designed environments IMO. I didn't really find MGS4's environments all that compelling in comparison (though they were still pretty good). They felt sort of linear and cramped. They didn't wow me like the whacky Mario levels or the flatly amazing New York-like rendition of Liberty City.

I don't understand how people cannot see the flaws. The game still is one of the best of the gen (the shooting mechanics are much improved from the PS2 iterations), but MGS fans just seem to be so forgiving about its length, its pacing, it's overeliance on cutscenes and the general lack of content. I would have been much more satisfied if Kojima would have edited the cutscenes to be shorter and less frequent (not all of that story was neccesary) and extended the gameplay sections to be longer and more robust.

GTA4 clearly is a large scale experience no matter how you slice it. It may be no San Andreas, but it dwarfs MGS4. MGS4 just appears to be large-scale because of the conflict and the larger-than-life cinematic quality of the cutscenes. The game itself, however, is very small-scale.

murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
probably i havent played it myself so for me Saints Row 2 is the best single player game
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Yeah, it doesn't have the casual appeal of a game like Halo, but there are a crap load of MGS fans. The sales numbers prove it. I don't believe that it soley appeals to fans though, because my cousin is a casual gamer and loves MGS. Episode_Eve

But it does appeal solely to it's fans. If you are compatible with it's styIe you become a fan. If not, you despise the game.
Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Episode_Eve

[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"]Yeah, it doesn't have the casual appeal of a game like Halo, but there are a crap load of MGS fans. The sales numbers prove it. I don't believe that it soley appeals to fans though, because my cousin is a casual gamer and loves MGS. foxhound_fox

But it does appeal solely to it's fans. If you are compatible with it's styIe you become a fan. If not, you despise the game.

You don't have to "despise" the game if its not compatible to your sty|e. Lol, my other cousin isn't one for big story-driven games and cutscenes, but he still played and enjoyed each MGS. Still you have a point, as do I :).

Zerual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zerual
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts
No it isn't. It's a great game, but I wouldn't call it the best singleplayer game out there.
Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

I couldn't cut trough the cheesy over the top story, cut scenes are just to long so i had to skip , what where they thinking ?

Gameplay was nice , some animations are funny , sometimes it looks like skating on ice , controls are made unnecessary complicated and feel outdated , game without the cut scenes is really short .

Goty , for the fans maybe !

Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Tragic_Kingdom7

[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"]Yeah, it doesn't have the casual appeal of a game like Halo, but there are a crap load of MGS fans. The sales numbers prove it. I don't believe that it soley appeals to fans though, because my cousin is a casual gamer and loves MGS. foxhound_fox

I'm sort of quasi-fan of Metal Gear Solid. I enjoy series like GTA and Zelda much more, but I have a real liking for MGS as well.

I think MGS4 is a great game and has a presentation like no other. And I like its uniqueness. However, I still realize the game has problems. Some of the design decisions are sort of silly, namely the pacing. Aside from the first act, which was nearly perfect in its execution (besides the fact that it should have been much longer), the game has no sense of pace and has the most uneven cutscene/gameplay ratio of the entire series IMO.

I might get flamed, but I feel that MGS fans are not completely comfortable with its $tyle. I feel that they just love the basic core of the game so much that they overlook its flaws. I'm sure they wish it was more meaty, less cutscene heavy, but they are willing to give it a break, because of the great things it brings to the table.

Eyezonmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Eyezonmii
Member since 2008 • 2145 Posts

Played through it 6 times already on my SDTV, although I prefer MGS3, this is definately a great conclusion to the series....Might play through it a seventh time once I purchase an HDTV...I mean, I was blown away on my sdtv..but I just to see how good it will look. in HDverbalfilth

wait untill you see it running on a HDTV. WOW!

Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Tragic_Kingdom7

I couldn't cut trough the cheesy over the top story, cut scenes are just to long so i had to skip , what where they thinking ?

Gameplay was nice , some animations are funny , sometimes it looks like skating on ice , controls are made unnecessary complicated and feel outdated , game without the cut scenes is really short .

Goty , for the fans maybe !

Caseytappy

I actually felt the controls were much better this time around. Smoother, less cumbersome, etc.

That being said, there's still rooom for improvement.

Eyezonmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Eyezonmii
Member since 2008 • 2145 Posts

PSP107

because the story is unmatched, the cutscenes are UNMATCHED...character creations are UNMATCHED, Character model graphics unmatched (IMO)....there is enough gameplay and replay value to it. Your not forced to watch the cutscenes through each play through...watch it ones and play it again and skip them...gsus. 

try beat it without killing anyone, or being seen....i can come back to the game agian and again...yes i do have some negatives, but the positives weight more. 

Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Tragic_Kingdom7
[QUOTE="PSP107"]

Eyezonmii

because the story is unmatched, the cutscenes are UNMATCHED...character creations are UNMATCHED, Character model graphics unmatched (IMO)....there is enough gameplay and replay value to it. Your not forced to watch the cutscenes through each play through...watch it ones and play it again and skip them...gsus.

try beat it without killing anyone, or being seen....i can come back to the game agian and again...yes i do have some negatives, but the positives weight more.

It doesn't really matter if the cutscenes are unmatched (I don't think aybody would disagree with you) if one has a fundamental problem with a game that gives cutscenes priority over gameplay.

As for the story, that is completely subjective. I don't feel GTA4 presented its story nearly as well, but I actually liked the story (as in the plot and the theme) they were trying to tell better than the one in MGS4.

YoungRay20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 YoungRay20
Member since 2008 • 174 Posts

[QUOTE="Omni-Wrath"]It is my but don's say it is the best. Many people bash it then. Everone has diffrent chocies and GTA4 might win. You are not a good MGS4 fan I see. ski11buzz

how am i not an MGS fan if i spent all this time making a thread about the game?  sorry, not sure where you're going with this man

Metal gear solid 4 for GoTY 08!

Joshywaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#39 Joshywaa
Member since 2002 • 10991 Posts

PSP107

You know almost nothing about gaming if you are not aware that MGSIV will win GOTY.

Plain and Simple.

Jekken6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jekken6
Member since 2008 • 2642 Posts

MGS4 has online play, so Fallout3 is is the best single-player game this year

Jekken6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jekken6
Member since 2008 • 2642 Posts

MGS4 has online play, so Fallout3 is is the best single-player game this year

devil_han

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 devil_han
Member since 2008 • 106 Posts

PSP107

Because that 20% is better than any other game out this year.And easily blows you away.I am thinking that you have not played it yet !

Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts
Yes, MGS4 is definitely the best single player experience this Generation! Everything combined, including cutscenes and soundtrack, make for an absolutely astonishing gaming experience!
Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts
Meh, MGS4 didn't do it for me. The gameplay and story left me in a state of boredom.BioShockOwnz
Meh, BioShock was way, way worse.
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Tragic_Kingdom7
[QUOTE="PSP107"]

devil_han

Because that 20% is better than any other game out this year.And easily blows you away.I am thinking that you have not played it yet !

Why do MGS fans automatically think that if you are not blown away by MGS, you have not played it.

Some MGS fans are truly obnoxious. I don't know how many times I've explained flaws of the game only to get ignored by mindless MGSbots repeating "best game ever!" over and over.

I have never ecountered a more radib bunch of fans than MGS fans. They are absolutely blind to reasons other people may not like the game as much as them. Halo fanboys and other such fanboys are the same way, just not to same ridiculous degree.

Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Tragic_Kingdom7

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]Meh, MGS4 didn't do it for me. The gameplay and story left me in a state of boredom.metalgear-solid
Meh, BioShock was way, way worse.

I disagree. Bioshock was able to tell its story without an absurd overeliance on cutscenes. It gameplay was also kept more of a priority and its pacing was far more even. The experience is more seamless and therefore, IMO, more engaging. In MGS4, there is way too much down time and really not as much content when you account for how much of it is comprised of cutscenes.

Also, Bioshock IMO has a much more compelling atmosphere and environment.

MGS4 is excellent, but I prefer Bioshock.

Zerual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Zerual
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts
[QUOTE="devil_han"][QUOTE="PSP107"]

Tragic_Kingdom7

Why do MGS fans automatically think that if you are not blown away by MGS, you have not played it.

Some MGS fans are truly obnoxious. I don't know how many times I've explained flaws of the game only to get ignored by mindless MGSbots repeating "best game ever!" over and over.

I have never ecountered a more radib bunch of fans than MGS fans. They are absolutely blind to reasons other people may not like the game as much as them. Halo fanboys and other such fanboys are the same way, just not to same ridiculous degree.

Because they blindly believe that MGS is the best thing since sliced bread.

God help you if you disagree with them.

Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Tragic_Kingdom7

Seriously, let's think about the Europe chapter of MGS4:

A huge batch of cutscene+a pretty breif sneaking section+a batch of long cutscenes+a breif on-rails motorcycle sequence+More cutscenes+A boss+A gigantic batch of cutscenes to end the chapter+A mission breifing (meaning a crapload of cutscenes) before the next chapter...

I don't see how anybody can deny that there's something wrong with the way that chapter is paced. It's somewhat disjointed.

The key to making the game better would be expanded gameplay segments+cutscenes that are edited for length and information that is dispenced in a more economic way.

Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Tragic_Kingdom7
Because they blindly believe that MGS is the best thing since sliced bread.

God help you if you disagree with them.

Zerual

It would atleast help their case if they'd take on some opposing arguments. I'll argue for Ocarina of Time's perfectness any day. But it doesn't seem like any MGS praisemongerers are willing to do that.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
MGS4 is the only mega-hyped game that has ever exceeded hype IMO.