Metroid: Other M is a total butchering of Samus Aran's character.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

This is NOT a thread about Other M's gameplay, so please don't bring it up. This is 100% about the portrayal of Samus's character. I grew up on the Metroid games and own every numbered entry in the series (except for the Wii games, since I don't own a Wii). I have seeped myself within Metroid's lore, and my obsession with Metroid even led me to write a movie script based on the series. Needless to say, I feel like over the years, I developed a pretty solid perception of what Samus's character is. She is a battle hardened bad ass. After being stared down by an alien dragon who killed her parents as a child, there's not much that can scare her. She is the toughest warrior in the universe, and is an independent loner. She's basically a female Boba Fett, and is one of gaming's ultimate bad asses. Maybe she does have a bit of an achille's heel somewhere deep down, but she's still a hard ass and there's no-one who's ass she wouldn't kick in a moment.

But what is she in Metroid: Other M? She is basically Bella Swan from Twilight, but wearing power armor. All she does is pine for Adam Malkovich and whine about how scared she is and how miserable her life is. Samus does have a miserable past, but SHE DOES NOT WHINE ABOUT IT. She is TOUGH AS NAILS, so she keeps to herself. What they've done to Samus is akin to those crappy Wonder Woman comics where she was always getting tied up and was hopelessly smitten with Steve Trevor. Samus does not have to be totally without emotions or romantic interest, but she is NOT CO-DEPENDENT. She is INDEPENDENT, and while it wouldn't be out of character for her to take a liking to a male character, it's wholly out of character for her to be an emotionally needy wreck.

Even though Samus could have a love interest, the important factor is that she can get by just as well without one. By implying that Samus feels like she's worthless without the attention of one in particular, they completely butchered her character. The REAL Samus would think of an unrequited love interest as "he's cute, but if he won't wise up then it's his loss." She does NOT go all Bella Swan on us and write in her journal for hours about how much better her life would be if only her beloved would recognize her.

Samus was once a great example of a post-feminist female game character. She was an independent bad ass, but she was still 100% woman, who was visually sexy and also showed strong maternal qualities with the Super Metroid hatchling. Apparently though, the designers of Other M just don't get that. Sadly, I think that some of Team Ninja's past objectification of women may have creeped its way over from Dead or Alive into the Metroid series, because this version of Samus is a needy, infantalized male fantasy. She is not at all empowered despite the power she posesses, and that is a totally backwards depiction of EVERYTHING we have ever known about Samus, the tough, independent kicker of asses. Imagine if a character like Han Solo or Boba Fett had been a totally neutered and weepy fool who was a hopeless wreck unless Princess Leia had talked to him in the last 48 hours. That's essentially what Team Ninja has done to Samus.

Frankly, I hope that Other M either bombs or is hotly protested by the fanbase, because this is NOT the direction the series should be taking. IMO they should just give the series back to Retro Studios, because Team Ninja clearly does not have any respect for Samus's character and do not have the solid grasp of the series' core concepts like Retro did.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

This totally sums EVERYTHING up about this. (replace Marth with Samus)

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
all im going to say is that silent protagonists should STAY silent... I would be all wtf if gordan freeman got a voice...and nathan hale in r2 was horrible... and from the footage i have seen of other m..yee just doesnt suit her at all..
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Timstuff
all im going to say is that silent protagonists should STAY silent... I would be all wtf if gordan freeman got a voice...and nathan hale in r2 was horrible... and from the footage i have seen of other m..yee just doesnt suit her at all.. campzor
The silent protagonist thing is a can of worms with Samus, since she communicates to the player via text in Super Metroid and Zero Mission, and had dialogue in Metroid Fusion. The problem is that Samus's characterization is completely backwards from past depictions and what the character has always represented. This is the female equivalent to neutering Boba Fett.
Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts
I've heard nothing but bad things about what Team Ninja has done with Samus' character. I'm going to stay far far away from this game :evil:
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LegatoSkyheart

I've heard nothing but bad things about what Team Ninja has done with Samus' character. I'm going to stay far far away from this game :evil: Juggernaut140

Team Ninja had no part in Samus's Character. The Creator of Metroid Did.

Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

*Rant*

Timstuff

I lol'd.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Really another one of these. I already said I like how they handeled her and shes not whiny and not a wuss. Nothing you said happend when I played. She follows the leader cause its his mission and she respects him and sees him as a father figure. Its not cause hes a man and shes a women. If the commander of the operation was a women or purple aligator she would still follow since she does have history with the character. There is nothing sexist about this game NOTHING. Hell her boobs dont even jiggle. Im sorry they gave her emotion you know like a freakin human.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 finalfantasy94

I've heard nothing but bad things about what Team Ninja has done with Samus' character. I'm going to stay far far away from this game :evil: Juggernaut140

That only comes from people who are overblowing it. Imagine a child who scraps thier knee and crys like they are dieing. Thats basicly it. Making something small really big.

dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts

Ok first of all I :lol: . Nevertheless I have never been a big metroid fan. I've played the demo that came with the first ds and that's about it.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

I guess it's the same kind of awkwardness if we suddenly got a Master Chief who talks a lot and whines about things.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
a well put argument I am very curious about the game, will play it in 2 months I guess but I've read tons critics about the story form people/poster/reviewers I really respect will give it a try for sure
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Giancar

Ok first of all I :lol: . Nevertheless I have never been a big metroid fan. I've played the demo that came with the first ds and that's about it.

dunl12496
ughhh, you chose not only to play the demo of the worst metroid game, but a very bad game per se I didn't even bother to finish :? (I finish almost 99% of my games)
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

Team Ninja didn't touch the Story. It was all Nintendo.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Timstuff

[QUOTE="Juggernaut140"]I've heard nothing but bad things about what Team Ninja has done with Samus' character. I'm going to stay far far away from this game :evil: LegatoSkyheart

The creator of Metroid has been dead for many years and had nothing to do with this game. :(

If it was Nintendo's idea to depict Samus this way, then that just gives me even more reason to be bitter at them.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#17 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I can't really comment as I haven't played the game yet, but from what I've been hearing it's pretty terrible, and from the videos I've seen I'm not expecting much.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
I totally agree. That is why I am so happy with the decision not to have voice acting in the new Zelda games.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Giancar
I totally agree. That is why I am so happy with the decision not to have voice acting in the new Zelda games.Iantheone
voice doesn't have any impact if done properly (good va and good plot) besides zelda and metoid games feeling couldn't be more different one is about the "isolation" feeling the other about "the airy tale adventure" feeling
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 finalfantasy94

I wonder how many people complaining about it actually played this game.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LegatoSkyheart

I guess it's the same kind of awkwardness if we suddenly got a Master Chief who talks a lot and whines about things.

jhcho2

I don't think that's a good example.

A better one would probably be if Gordon Freeman talked and complained about everything.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Samus traditionaly has been a shallow and one dimensional character, they just tried to add some depth to her, but obviously they didn't choose the right way to do it.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="Juggernaut140"]I've heard nothing but bad things about what Team Ninja has done with Samus' character. I'm going to stay far far away from this game :evil: Timstuff

The creator of Metroid has been dead for many years and had nothing to do with this game. :(

If it was Nintendo's idea to depict Samus this way, then that just gives me even more reason to be bitter at them.

Thought Yoshio Sakamoto was the creator. Turns out to be the Co-Creator and directed all the Metroid games except for the first one.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Completely 100% agreed.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Timstuff

I totally agree. That is why I am so happy with the decision not to have voice acting in the new Zelda games.Iantheone
Samus's dialogue could have been all text based like in Super Metroid, and this would still be a wretched disservice to her character. The fact that we HEAR what Samus is thinking does not change the fact that her characterization is a betrayal of the character's core traits. Voices are not what caused Nintendo to write an awful story. It's not like Twilight didn't suck before they made an audio book of it.

shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts

I cant say whether the direction they have gone in is right or wrong yet (havent played it) but wow at all the people who think old Samus was a deep, complex person. Im not sure what your imaginations have lead you to believe but its not that.

Nintendo have always been a gameplay first developer. If they could have made super metroid without all the text and what not at the start, they would have. Basically what you've interpreted as deep, meaningful etc. is Nintendo throwing a few lines for consistency sake.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 finalfantasy94

Samus traditionaly has been a shallow and one dimensional character, they just tried to add some depth to her, but obviously they didn't choose the right way to do it.

AdrianWerner

It would have faild either way. People would have found something els to complain and overblow about just like they are doing now.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#28 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I am just gonna say her character seems to lack personality and feels like she is reading from something in the game.

Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

[QUOTE="jhcho2"]

LegatoSkyheart

I don't think that's a good example.

A better one would probably be if Gordon Freeman talked and complained about everything.

Have you watched Freeman's Mind on Youtube? If Half Life actually was like that it would be the greatest game ever made.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

Really another one of these. I already said I like how they handeled her and shes not whiny and not a wuss. Nothing you said happend when I played. She follows the leader cause its his mission and she respects him and sees him as a father figure. Its not cause hes a man and shes a women. If the commander of the operation was a women or purple aligator she would still follow since she does have history with the character. There is nothing sexist about this game NOTHING. Hell her boobs dont even jiggle. Im sorry they gave her emotion you know like a freakin human.

finalfantasy94
I agree. BTW dat ass.
-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

Sucks for hardened Metroid fans. I'm not all to familiar with the story but Samus has always been a cool, if not depthless character. Comparing her new character to Bella Swan though ... That's serious buisness. Bella is probably the worst character in a movie/book ever. Can she do anything?

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

I didn't see any love interest in adam from samus...she sees him as a father.

The fear of ridley thing was a bit much though. i'd rather she have a bitter hatred for him or some kind of rage.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SaltyMeatballs

I didn't see any love interest in adam from samus...she sees him as a father.

The fear of ridley thing was a bit much though. i'd rather she have a bitter hatred for him or some kind of rage.

goblaa
Ridley was supposed to be dead, I felt she was more shocked than scared.
farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 farnham
Member since 2003 • 21147 Posts

okay you have no wii have not played other m and yet you are complaining about the story ?

i beat the game and nowhere in the game is she whining. there is one instance where samus is surprised to see a certain enemy and gets carried away alowing that monster to get a first blow on her. but thats it.

farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 farnham

ridley killed and ate her parents. that why she considers ridley her arch nemesis

farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 farnham

I cant say whether the direction they have gone in is right or wrong yet (havent played it) but wow at all the people who think old Samus was a deep, complex person. Im not sure what your imaginations have lead you to believe but its not that.

Nintendo have always been a gameplay first developer. If they could have made super metroid without all the text and what not at the start, they would have. Basically what you've interpreted as deep, meaningful etc. is Nintendo throwing a few lines for consistency sake.

shutdown_202
yeah its kinda fun if you consider that samus, as link or mario is a simple avatar or beacon that connects you and the game world. nintendo games are always about the world you play in and not about the character. if you switch link with another character it would make little difference (in fact every link is a different link) same with mario. there are other platformers in nintendos lineup that play similarly (prime example the wario games, the yoshi games and the donkey kong games) to mario games with little tweaks.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Yeah they butchered her character. It's a shame.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts
aye its very unfortunate. as i understand it this is more nintys screw up rather than team ninjas. TN just made the actual gameplay content itself while ninty wropte the script, story and did the FMVs (or got another company to do them). in fairness the game itself is very good imho. theres a bit of a learning curve (nothing wrong with that) but after the first 30 mins or so its becomes very metroid again in terms of gameplay. funnily enough its nintys contributions on the non gameplay side that have let the side down. but yup.....the background story is complete nonsense so far (the bottle ship is interesting though), samus has turned from a powerful bounty hunter to a whiny, moody girl with daddy problems (yawn) and it just ends up getting in the way. for those arguing that zelda and such like should have big stories and character development and VO work.......theres a reason theres massive opposition to it and other M shows why very very well. i would like to see team ninja get another punt at it though as the game is good. get the nunchuck in there for round 2 and further develop the controls and mechanics..and experiment some more. but keep all the background fluff and character development nonsense out of it.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
Most gamers are men and so they won't care. It's a shame because you're 100% right.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
all im going to say is that silent protagonists should STAY silent... I would be all wtf if gordan freeman got a voice...and nathan hale in r2 was horrible... and from the footage i have seen of other m..yee just doesnt suit her at all.. campzor
The initial instinct to blame the paint brush and not the painter is the wrong way to go on this one. It's Team Ninja and Nintendo's fault that they cannot utilize story telling elements properly. The problem isn't voice acting or that the character should remain silent. The problem is that Nintendo's throws the least amount of money toward these elements so they become the weakest part of the video game.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SaltyMeatballs
[QUOTE="campzor"]all im going to say is that silent protagonists should STAY silent... I would be all wtf if gordan freeman got a voice...and nathan hale in r2 was horrible... and from the footage i have seen of other m..yee just doesnt suit her at all.. Bread_or_Decide
The initial instinct to blame the paint brush and not the painter is the wrong way to go on this one. It's Team Ninja and Nintendo's fault that they cannot utilize story telling elements properly. The problem isn't voice acting or that the character should remain silent. The problem is that Nintendo's throws the least amount of money toward these elements so they become the weakest part of the video game.

Link?
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18255 Posts

Samus had her reasons to be like that in Other M, she actually explains that she need to protect those soldiers, that's why she in under Adam's command, play the game dude, if you like Metroid, chances are you are going to like this game as well.

Almost forgot, believe what they say about VA, is bad, i wonder if Jennifer Hale wasn't available.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
Fantastic. and I agree. They did ruin Samus a bit, and it's a direction I didn't want them to take. Difference? I'm not going to be a child about it and throw a hissy fit when the game itself is very good. They made a fun game, and I'll take that as the positives(Great boss fights, good combat, fun upgrades) more than made up for the negatives(linearity, gimped exploration, story/samus)
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="campzor"]all im going to say is that silent protagonists should STAY silent... I would be all wtf if gordan freeman got a voice...and nathan hale in r2 was horrible... and from the footage i have seen of other m..yee just doesnt suit her at all.. Bread_or_Decide

Lol..no. Sorry, story depends on talent and dedication of writer, not on ammount of money you throw at it. Modern Warfare 2 has SIX writers. yes...six guys handled the story and they obviously threw insane ammounts of money not only on them, but also on realising their scripts and yet the story sucked.

Of course it is hard to make a truly engaging story out of Metroid, but it was doable. You just needed somebody with not just talent, but actual passion to pull it off.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Just because she doesn't fit some gamers idea of being a mindless and wild animal who grunts and gives the enemy boo boos and has no personality? Oh it's so terrible to think that a game character can actually show vulnerabilities with feelings and emotions like a regular human being! Yeah it's a terrible thing that all game characters aren't robots who are macho and invincible. :roll:

Weren't you the one asking for Nintendo characters to have voices and more personality? You get what you want and now you're displeased with the outcome. I'm shocked. :o /sarcasm

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Just because she doesn't fit some gamers idea of being a mindless and wild animalwho grunts and gives the enemy boo boos and has no personality? Oh it's so terrible to think that a game character can actually show vulnerabilities with feelings and emotions like a regular human being! Yeah it's a terrible thing that all game characters aren't robots who are macho and invincible. :roll:

Weren't you the one asking for Nintendo characters to have voices and more personality? You get what you want and now you're displeased with the outcome. I'm shocked. :o /sarcasm

Bigboi500

Who said she had to be mindless, and wild. :?

There are plenty of ways of portraying a strong female lead, without turning her into a generic space marine or something. It's the tone of her voice that is irritating(makes her sound like a child), it's her reactions to Ridley that are just jarring compared to how she's always been.

She can have a more human side, but she's far too delicate and fragile in this game. For a person that is as battle tested as Samus is. Has the soldier background, and has made a living as this solo bounty hunter. It's just poor route to take the character. But a simple person could have figured that much.

bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
From what I'm hearing people are upset with her bad voice acting(understandable) and her vulnerabilities. From what I've heard though, I thought the story was actually pretty good.
jaminator45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jaminator45
Member since 2003 • 367 Posts

plus george lucas raped my childhood....

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Your perception of her charecter from past games is not nessessarily the correct one, thanks for the laugh though
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Timstuff

for those arguing that zelda and such like should have big stories and character development and VO work.......theres a reason theres massive opposition to it and other M shows why very very well. i would like to see team ninja get another punt at it though as the game is good. get the nunchuck in there for round 2 and further develop the controls and mechanics..and experiment some more. but keep all the background fluff and character development nonsense out of it.osan0
Sadly, I think you are right. Nintendo has demonstrated with Other M that at least for now, they are incapable of doing their own franchises justice in the story department. Maybe if they'd leave those duties to someone else like a professional fiction author or screenwriter they'd have something good on their hands. However, story has always been so irrelevant to Nintendo that the times where they actually had something good, like the older Metroid games and Zelda series, they got lucky. As soon as corporate starts keeping an eye on it because it's a "selling point," they start dipping their fingers in and making stupid calls that ultimately result in a bad product that lack quality.

As Spoony said, the game tries too hard to be like Metal Gear Solid. Bionic Commando tried to do the same thing and failed miserably. The ONLY persion who is mad genius enough to do Metal Gear Solid's style of over-the top melodrama is Hideo Kojima, and even for him he can't pull it off 100% of the time (see Raiden in MGS2). If you want Samus as a fully realized character, I think the only way to really make it work is as a graphic novel or movie. In terms of video games, she's just plain not that kind of character. She's a bit like like Master Chief in that she does have a character, but to find it you have to dig deep because she's fairly stoic and quiet.