Metroid: Other M is a total butchering of Samus Aran's character.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#101 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Again, it's just a video game we're talking about, where stories and characters are just after thoughts.

Bigboi500

Yeah... tell that to games like Planescape: Torment, System Shock 2, Baldur's Gate II, Max Payne, Odin Sphere, The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic... and any other story/character-driven game.

To say something like that, and have it apply to ALL games is just patently false. Maybe that may be true of Nintendo games, but not the rest of the industry.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#102 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Well considering that TN generally has stupid and cheesy characters in their games, M:OM is a huge step up.

Bigboi500

A huge step up from dog crap isn't automatically worth praising though, or devoid of criticism :?

Critism that is just trivial and trite in the end, because every body knows video games can't even compete with movies concerning story and characters, and movies can't even hold a candle to the most simple books, much less the cl-as-ics.

Again, it's just a video game we're talking about, where stories and characters are just after thoughts.

How is that trivial when they went out of their way to throw the story in my face :| A criticism is a criticism. I never said the game was bad(hell I'm one of the people that likes it), but it's a fair criticism that they flat out it missed.

Metroid's rarely been a story driven franchise(Fusion is the only other time), but it's atleast had a recent trend of being told in a very unique way. Other M had some effort put into filling up a part of the Metroid lore as well as try to get the player to simpathize with Samus, Problem? It was poorly executed.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

No is not, because of one single thing, Adam Malkovich, the only person able to break that emotional shell.

finalfantasy94

When she goes to get his helmet, and was breaking down their. is fine. Her being penis whipped the way she is, is just stupid. Her damn near might as well have cried moment with Ridley though? That was beyond the words stupid

Really penis whiped?omg people just dont get the whole commander and respect thing I guess. Just flew over your head.

There is a fine line between respecting someone and damn near worshiping the ground he walks on :|
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#104 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

foxhound_fox

Yeah... tell that to games like Planescape: Torment, System Shock 2, Baldur's Gate II, Max Payne, Odin Sphere, The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic... and any other story/character-driven game.

To say something like that, and have it apply to ALL games is just patently false. Maybe that may be true of Nintendo games, but not the rest of the industry.

Please tell me how games, even like KOTOR can compare to Moby Dick or War and Peace?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#105 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

There is a fine line between respecting someone and damn near worshiping the ground he walks on :|jg4xchamp

and Samus didn't cross that line at all.

[spoiler] don't even quote the ending of the game either. wouldn't you like a token to remind you of a Fallen Relative or Friend? [/spoiler]

princemarth23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#106 princemarth23
Member since 2005 • 9229 Posts

I've heard nothing but bad things about what Team Ninja has done with Samus' character. I'm going to stay far far away from this game :evil: Juggernaut140

I'd say its one of my favorite Metroids actually. Even if you don't like what they did with Samus, the gameplay is still a blast and makes the game worth playing. Personally, I liked how Samus had emotions and whatnot.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] There is a fine line between respecting someone and damn near worshiping the ground he walks on :|LegatoSkyheart

Take a look back. I said that part was fair game.

The other parts though? where she damn near buckles to the guys will is a bit annoying. I don't mind her taking his orders, but eh it became too much of a love interest type deal than a respect thing.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="Juggernaut140"]I've heard nothing but bad things about what Team Ninja has done with Samus' character. I'm going to stay far far away from this game :evil: princemarth23

I'd say its one of my favorite Metroids actually. Even if you don't like what they did with Samus, the gameplay is still a blast and makes the game worth playing. Personally, I liked how Samus had emotions and whatnot.

Yeah as polarizing as the story/character stuff may be the game is fun. It's not purist friendly I guess, but there are plenty of reasons why it's a good game, and even an enjoyable Metroid game.
rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#109 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
[QUOTE="dunl12496"]

Ok first of all I :lol: . Nevertheless I have never been a big metroid fan. I've played the demo that came with the first ds and that's about it.

Giancar
ughhh, you chose not only to play the demo of the worst metroid game, but a very bad game per se I didn't even bother to finish :? (I finish almost 99% of my games)

Funnily enough, that's my favorite Metroid next to the original Prime. : )
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 foxhound_fox

Please tell me how games, even like KOTOR can compare to Moby Dick or War and Peace?

Bigboi500

I've never read either of those books, but there is a significant amount of time and thought that goes into the construction of these stories and characters... perhaps not to the same level as novels that take a decade to write... but to outright say that even in games that are story driven, that have very well-told stories with interesting and complex characters, is an "after-thought" when compared to the gameplay is a completely false statement.

There are a lot of novels and books out there I haven't read... but there are plenty of games I would rather play, for their story, characterizations and atmosphere, than read some of the novels I've read again.

This is like comparing painting to 3D CGI art... you have two different kinds of almost non-related art forms that express their vision in completely different ways and one has been around WAY longer than the other. Are you trying to say that books are somehow "better" than video games, despite video games being only in their infancy? That having so much more creativity in history to draw from, makes video games a "lesser" art form to books? That makes no sense. It would be like saying "Beethoven's music sucks" when he was just 5 years old. We haven't seen video games' Ninth Symphony yet, and probably won't for many decades.

Story and characterization are an integral part of many video games... and to downplay that fact is an insult to gaming itself.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="Giancar"][QUOTE="dunl12496"]

Ok first of all I :lol: . Nevertheless I have never been a big metroid fan. I've played the demo that came with the first ds and that's about it.

rolo107
ughhh, you chose not only to play the demo of the worst metroid game, but a very bad game per se I didn't even bother to finish :? (I finish almost 99% of my games)

Funnily enough, that's my favorite Metroid next to the original Prime. : )

Don't take this the wrong way, as I am mostly saying it in a light hearted manner But I seriously did die a little inside reading that.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Please tell me how games, even like KOTOR can compare to Moby Dick or War and Peace?

foxhound_fox

I've never read either of those books, but there is a significant amount of time and thought that goes into the construction of these stories and characters... perhaps not to the same level as novels that take a decade to write... but to outright say that even in games that are story driven, that have very well-told stories with interesting and complex characters, is an "after-thought" when compared to the gameplay is a completely false statement.

There are a lot of novels and books out there I haven't read... but there are plenty of games I would rather play, for their story, characterizations and atmosphere, than read some of the novels I've read again.

This is like comparing painting to 3D CGI art... you have two different kinds of almost non-related art forms that express their vision in completely different ways and one has been around WAY longer than the other. Are you trying to say that books are somehow "better" than video games, despite video games being only in their infancy? That having so much more creativity in history to draw from, makes video games a "lesser" art form to books? That makes no sense. It would be like saying "Beethoven's music sucks" when he was just 5 years old. We haven't seen video games' Ninth Symphony yet, and probably won't for many decades.

Story and characterization are an integral part of many video games... and to downplay that fact is an insult to gaming itself.

Sorry, guess I'm just an old fashioned book snob. :P Try reading some of those books and you'll see that they open up worlds, visions, and ideas that you simply can't get from any other form of entertainment, and never will.

Bobzfamily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#113 Bobzfamily
Member since 2008 • 1514 Posts

This is probably one of my favourite Metroid games of all time, probably second only to Metroid II. It's a return to the original direction of the series while balancing the more traditional gameplay with efforts at a character driven story. I never got the impression that Samus was whining the entire time, personally I'd rather having something of a conflicted character than a cold, iron hearted one who receives no dialogue. Concerning her relationship with Adam, I didn't feel as though Samus relied on him. She has great respect for his actions in the past and in many ways I believe it to be mutual. It's fine to show Samus caring in some ways about other characters instead of being isolated and heartless.

That being said, I wasn't a big fan of the voice acting in the game. Period. :|

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 LegatoSkyheart

The other parts though? where she damn near buckles to the guys will is a bit annoying. I don't mind her taking his orders, but eh it became too much of a love interest type deal than a respect thing.

jg4xchamp

That was probably the point. >.>

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#115 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] There is a fine line between respecting someone and damn near worshiping the ground he walks on :|jg4xchamp

Im sorry she never comes off like that at all.she just listens to orders. Hes a father figure to her and sherespects him alot.The last part is not fair game at all it called emotion. I guess you also forgot when she sucked it up and knew she had a job to do. She wasint cruled up in the fiddle position rocking back and forth confused.Im sorry she wasint like "women power" and "Screw him hes a man" mentality since it seems like aloit of people wanted that. Im pretty sure if andam was a women people wouldint complain about it as much.

shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts

Its really interesting reading peoples intepretation of Samus in this thread. I think its strength of having a blank canvas.

This is probably what Nintendo intended with their Metroid games (save for Other M).

kobraka1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 kobraka1
Member since 2009 • 890 Posts

i got 3 hours into it andsent it back to gamefly. i thought it was crap. i would give it a 6/10 at best.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

finalfantasy94

Im sorry she never comes off like that at all. She never buckles she just listens to orders. Hes a father figure to her and respects him alot.The last part is not fair game at all it called emotion. I guess you also forgot when she sucked it up and knew she had a job to do. She wasint cruled up in thefiddle position rocking back and forth confused.Im sorry she wasint like "women power" and "Screw him hes a man" mentality since it seems like aloit of people wanted that. Im pretty sure if andam was a women people wouldint complain about it as much.

Except I didn't want her to be all "screw you adam" :?

I'm fine with the respect thing(hell I would have been fine with something comparable to Snake/Boss type deal where there is clearly a relationship based on respect and loyalty). It's just I felt with Adam they hammed it up a bit too much. If anything I hate the stuff with Ridley(the story portion I mean, the boss fight was GREATNESS) way more.

It's an approach I don't agree with.

and I think you misread my point. THE LAST PART IS FAIR GAME. MEANING HER EMOTIONS ARE COOL. I AM FINE WITH THE LAST PART. ITS EVERYTHING BEFORE THAT. LET ME REPEAT IN BIG, BOLD, CAPS LOCK LETTERS IN GREEN FONT. I AM TOTALLY FINE WITH HER REACTION RELATING TO ADAM DURING THE FINAL STRETCH OF THE GAME

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 LegatoSkyheart

i got 3 hours into it andsent it back to gamefly. i thought it was crap. i would give it a 6/10 at best.

kobraka1

I hope that you hate God of War too.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Bigboi500

KOTOR is a terrible example, because it has pretty weak story that relies mostly on twist ending.

Now Moby Dick and War and Peace? It's hard to compare because of how epic and lenghty those books are, because of that you will have troubles finding not only a comparable game, but even comparable movie.

Still, there are games that story-wise can compete evently with good movies or even sometimes good novels , like Clannad, Gabriel Knight, Torment, Madness of Roland, Chronomaster or Moment of Silence. There aren't tons of such games, but they do exist.

I mean, crap. There are games like Bureaucracy, which was written from start to finish by Douglas Adams and can easily compate with any humoristic novel or movie ever made. Same with Monkey Island 1-3

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 finalfantasy94

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] Take a look back. I said that part was fair game.

jg4xchamp

Im sorry she never comes off like that at all. She never buckles she just listens to orders. Hes a father figure to her and respects him alot.The last part is not fair game at all it called emotion. I guess you also forgot when she sucked it up and knew she had a job to do. She wasint cruled up in thefiddle position rocking back and forth confused.Im sorry she wasint like "women power" and "Screw him hes a man" mentality since it seems like aloit of people wanted that. Im pretty sure if andam was a women people wouldint complain about it as much.

Except I didn't want her to be all "screw you adam" :?

I'm fine with the respect thing(hell I would have been fine with something comparable to Snake/Boss type deal where there is clearly a relationship based on respect and loyalty). It's just I felt with Adam they hammed it up a bit too much. If anything I hate the stuff with Ridley(the story portion I mean, the boss fight was GREATNESS) way more.

It's an approach I don't agree with.

and I think you misread my point. THE LAST PART IS FAIR GAME. MEANING HER EMOTIONS ARE COOL. I AM FINE WITH THE LAST PART. ITS EVERYTHING BEFORE THAT. LET ME REPEAT IN BIG, BOLD, CAPS LOCK LETTERS IN GREEN FONT. I AM TOTALLY FINE WITH HER REACTION RELATING TO ADAM DURING THE FINAL STRETCH OF THE GAME

well thanks for making it clear you agree with at least that one. Since it came off as you didint. I dont know since all he really did was say "go here to stop this or meet up with the rest of the team" and "Situation is clear and you can use x weapon" It wasint like every 5 seconds he was making samus run around like a chiken with her head cut off. About the ridley I read a post that gave a decent explanation why would she freak out

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/metroidotherm/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-56262844&pid=960554

Im not saying it will change your mind,but it made me think it over. I personally didint mind it as much since she snaps out of it fast and beats him up. The most important I have to say is why did you use green and not blue?

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Samus traditionaly has been a shallow and one dimensional character, they just tried to add some depth to her, but obviously they didn't choose the right way to do it.

AdrianWerner

Agreed

Virtual_Price

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Virtual_Price
Member since 2010 • 5710 Posts

Hm, haven't played the game so I'll have to see about this.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

Samus traditionaly has been a shallow and one dimensional character, they just tried to add some depth to her, but obviously they didn't choose the right way to do it.

jasonharris48

Agreed

I think most people who complain about her character, really would prefer to see her be more like a girl cop type who is stern and tries to fit in as one of the guys and over-compensates her exterior. Kind of like a "butch" girl, but look like a princess lol. Imo this goes with your average gamers' general view of things needing to be very over-the-top and different from reality to be enjoyable and exciting.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

Bigboi500

Agreed

I think most people who complain about her character, really would prefer to see her be more like a girl cop type who is stern and tries to fit in as one of the guys and over-compensates her exterior. Kind of like a "butch" girl, but look like a princess lol. Imo this goes with your average gamers' general view of things needing to be very over-the-top and different from reality to be enjoyable and exciting.

Because that's clearly been the demands in this thread :roll:

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 finalfantasy94

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"] Agreed

jg4xchamp

To be honest I didint see much demands in this thread. Just some complaining. Also im curious how many people actually played the game and are complaining about it.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

Wow after seeing everything that this topic has I have to say that the comic I posted back in Page one is EVERYTHING to do with Samus's Character.

People thought one way while Nintendo thought the other and people hate it for not being the Samus THEY wanted instead of the Samus NINTENDO wanted.

LegatoSkyheart

Not true. Nintendo's opinion of who Samus is CHANGED for this game, and it's probably because they wanted the game to appeal more to the Japanese:

http://offworld.com/2009/08/retro-ef...-the-stud.html

"Through the discussions with Retro," he says, "we came up with keyword 'elegant'. She's beautifully elegant, but also powerful." Tanabe demonstrates what he means by suddenly grabbing his translator by the collar, pantomiming a hand-gun to the translator's head, and explains that one of the scenarios they ran through with co-creator Sakamoto is how Samus would react to a Space Pirate taking someone hostage.

"What we heard from him (Sakamoto) is that she would not yell 'hold on!' She wouldn't show any emotions at all, she'd just bring up her gun and hit the pirate with a head shot." Tanabe loosens his grip on the surprisingly unfazed translator and brings his fingers in one slow sweep up to his own head, and with a verbal 'bajoooom' fires dead-eye, leaning back in slow motion, his hands showing us the arc and splatter of Space Pirate viscera spilling from the cap of his skull. "She's very calm, very professional in killing. She doesn't show any emotions on the surface, but she's very passionate inside her."

Even Samus' new voice actress seems to reflect the infantalization of her character. Jennifer Hale voiced her in the prime games, and her voice is dead sexy and powerful sounding. They replaced her with some high-pitched teenage girl, and just like the rest of the changes made to Samus's character it seems to be an attempt to make her more "vulnerable" and "needy." That is NOT the Samus we have all come to know and love, and if you are going to try and claim that that's how she's been the whole time then shame on you.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]I think most people who complain about her character, really would prefer to see her be more like a girl cop type who is stern and tries to fit in as one of the guys and over-compensates her exterior. Kind of like a "butch" girl, but look like a princess lol. Imo this goes with your average gamers' general view of things needing to be very over-the-top and different from reality to be enjoyable and exciting.

Bigboi500

If it was, gamers would be singing its praises and be smitten with her 'tude yo, instead of all the complaints. Just look at the OPs avie, Chuck Norris with a light saber LOL.

If it went that route most would have argued they made her too much of a space marine wannebee. They had a great idea. Humanize Samus, but they executed too far into soft/delicate territory. You want to preserve her strong, never say die nature. While still assuring the audience that there is a human there. It's a matter of the right context and execution. If she starts balling out when she's [spoiler] picking up Adam's helmet [/spoiler] That's fair game. There is some reasonable emotion to that. The context sells the believability of that. Other portions of the storyline just don't do it though. Again It's a matter of it being a bit Ubisofted for people(Good concept, poor execution) with her character. But that would be a rational thought process to think there are people in the fanbase that are more annoyed with the execution/context surrounding it than the idea of Samus having a softer side.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
ANOTHER POINT OF CONTENTION: Samus is freaking short without her armor. She's probably the shortest character in the game. Samus has ALWAYS been stated as being close to 6 feet tall. If I were casting a Metroid movie, I'd choose Yvonne Strahovski to play her. She should be at least 5' 10", but the game shows her as being short, as if to imply that she's nothing without her armor. Once again, they are trying to appeal to Japanese sensibilities, showing that Samus is small and vulnerable without her armor on. Apparently, NIntendo thinks that Japanese gamers would be terrified of playing a game that stars a woman who is taller than them, and that's stupid. It's almost as if they want to make Samus out to be a sad little girl with daddy issues who just wants a "real man" to show up and make everything better.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 finalfantasy94

ANOTHER POINT OF CONTENTION: Samus is freaking short without her armor. She's probably the shortest character in the game. Samus has ALWAYS been stated as being close to 6 feet tall. If I were casting a Metroid movie, I'd choose Yvonne Strahovski to play her. She should be at least 5' 10", but the game shows her as being short, as if to imply that she's nothing without her armor. Once again, they are trying to appeal to Japanese sensibilities, showing that Samus is small and vulnerable without her armor on. Apparently, NIntendo thinks that Japanese gamers would be terrified of playing a game that stars a woman who is taller than them, and that's stupid. It's almost as if they want to make Samus out to be a sad little girl with daddy issues who just wants a "real man" to show up and make everything better.Timstuff

wow dude you are reaching very very very far. Just stop dude just stop. This thought just makes you look silly.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

ANOTHER POINT OF CONTENTION: Samus is freaking short without her armor. She's probably the shortest character in the game. Samus has ALWAYS been stated as being close to 6 feet tall. If I were casting a Metroid movie, I'd choose Yvonne Strahovski to play her. She should be at least 5' 10", but the game shows her as being short, as if to imply that she's nothing without her armor. Once again, they are trying to appeal to Japanese sensibilities, showing that Samus is small and vulnerable without her armor on. Apparently, NIntendo thinks that Japanese gamers would be terrified of playing a game that stars a woman who is taller than them, and that's stupid. It's almost as if they want to make Samus out to be a sad little girl with daddy issues who just wants a "real man" to show up and make everything better.Timstuff

A c'mon men, this is going way to far, her height, you are complaining about her height...i don't even...geez.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 jg4xchamp
This one is just a silly thing to complain about.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 foxhound_fox

Sorry, guess I'm just an old fashioned book snob. :P Try reading some of those books and you'll see that they open up worlds, visions, and ideas that you simply can't get from any other form of entertainment, and never will.

Bigboi500

Hey, I love books too... but I think trying to compare the two just isn't fair, as one is hundreds of years old and has the greatest artists behind it, while the other is just in its infancy and has barely broke the surface of artistic merit.

Bigboi500

I love how you completely misrepresent everything we've been talking about in this thread.

I don't think there has been a single person suggest ANYTHING along those lines. I guess you just haven't played any games that have been story-focused enough to show you there can be depth to story and character.

http://offworld.com/2009/08/retro-ef...-the-stud.html

"Through the discussions with Retro," he says, "we came up with keyword 'elegant'. She's beautifully elegant, but also powerful." Tanabe demonstrates what he means by suddenly grabbing his translator by the collar, pantomiming a hand-gun to the translator's head, and explains that one of the scenarios they ran through with co-creator Sakamoto is how Samus would react to a Space Pirate taking someone hostage.

"What we heard from him (Sakamoto) is that she would not yell 'hold on!' She wouldn't show any emotions at all, she'd just bring up her gun and hit the pirate with a head shot." Tanabe loosens his grip on the surprisingly unfazed translator and brings his fingers in one slow sweep up to his own head, and with a verbal 'bajoooom' fires dead-eye, leaning back in slow motion, his hands showing us the arc and splatter of Space Pirate viscera spilling from the cap of his skull. "She's very calm, very professional in killing. She doesn't show any emotions on the surface, but she's very passionate inside her."
Timstuff

Holy lord I came. That is exactly how I have ever imagined Samus. Now, the problem I think lies with what this "passion" would entail. I would cite again the Chozo lore in which claims she has a "righteous fury" and would interpret this as she is seeking to bring an end to the tyranny of the Space Pirates and finally end Ridley once and for all. She can also be caring and loving (the infant Metroid) when she needs to be, but will never allow anything to remove her independence (Fusion: she always prefers to work alone; and she both trusts and respect Adam because she looks up to him, more as a father than lover I think).

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

Sorry you feel that way. That really sucks. My copy still hasn't arrived yet. Amazon's free shipping sure is slow. Anyways, I prefer Metroid with as little story as possible. Never gave way too much thought to Samus actually. She's just a means to traverse those vast worlds. Yeah, if they're going to create a crappy story, it's better to create no story at all and just give us a good adventure game full of exploration and item finding. That's all I really love about the series. But yeah, making her weak like that does suck.

WTA2k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#136 WTA2k5
Member since 2005 • 3999 Posts

True, Team Ninja's characterization is not all that great, but there was no characterization of Samus before Other M. She's always been a video game icon, but until Other M she's never been a true character. So you can either have an iffy portrayal of Samus as a real character, or a cardboard cut-out mute video game protagonist. Both choices are pretty lame.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 foxhound_fox

[...] but there was no characterization of Samus before Other M. [...]

WTA2k5

She has a log at the beginning of Super Metroid and Metroid: Zero Mission. She has soliloquies in Metroid: Fusion. And there is an official manga with full dialogue and backstory.

She has been characterized quite a lot already... if only in a non-traditional manner. A lot of her character is non-written or spoken, a lot of it comes out in her actions. That is what makes her unique. She isn't Gordon Freeman, she isn't meant to be a faceless, voiceless shell for the player to assume control of, she is an actual person who we are supposed to identify with.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

all thepeople in this thread like TC are just the same people who feel nintendo betrayed them with the wii..

IppoTenma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 IppoTenma
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts
Disagree 100%. Your argument is garbage. Samus finally being fleshed out is a good thing.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 jg4xchamp

all thepeople in this thread like TC are just the same people who feel nintendo betrayed them with the wii..

KBFloYd
Yep, that's why I bought a Wii and love Mario Galaxy. It's because those A-holes that work for Nintendo betrayed me. THOSE ******* DOUCHE BAGS but no seriously, some of you need to you know quit with the generalizations. It's getting tiresome with how easily they are proven wrong.
Avian005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#142 Avian005
Member since 2009 • 4112 Posts

I kind of agree with TC. I don't mind Samus being fleshed out, but they just did it so WRONG in Other M.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

jg4xchamp

Yep, that's why I bought a Wii and love Mario Galaxy. It's because those A-holes that work for Nintendo betrayed me. THOSE ******* DOUCHE BAGS but no seriously, some of you need to you know quit with the generalizations. It's getting tiresome with how easily they are proven wrong.

cmon ;) you know you want a regular controller... their games are are kiddie compared to ps3.. cmon ;) dont lie.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 foxhound_fox

Disagree 100%. Your argument is garbage. Samus finally being fleshed out is a good thing.IppoTenma

And Nintendo's attempt is garbage. I find it interesting how so many people can just accept what Nintendo gives them as "The Word" and then go on to defend it, no matter how ****ty it might actually be. Don't you value these IP's? I agree that Samus being fleshed out is a good thing, but they've done it all wrong, and there is more than one way they could have done it. Turning her into a whiny, submissive emo teenager isn't what I had in mind for the passionate, badass bounty hunter who epitomized women's equality.

svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

I didn't see any love interest in adam from samus...she sees him as a father.

The fear of ridley thing was a bit much though. i'd rather she have a bitter hatred for him or some kind of rage.

goblaa

Okay, so how would you feel if the person/thing who slaughtered your family and friends and WHO YOU THOUGHT WAS DEAD BY YOUR OWN HAND was all of a sudden standing right in front of you?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 foxhound_fox

"Fans are clingy, complaining dip***s who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices, the happier you'll be for it." - Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw

I had a feeling I'd be pasting this quote in every single Other M thread, and it turns out I'm right!!

svetzenlether

Yeah... because having a contrarian opinion is such a bad thing. :roll:

I give Yahtzee some serious props for speaking out against rolling with the flow of things, and being a douche when it comes to criticizing games... but despite him expressing his own opinion, I still disagree with him a lot of the time. That doesn't make everything he says an absolute fact. Many fans do like a lot of things developers do, and many times the decisions they make don't appease everyone... but sometimes, there is a decision that's made that pisses a lot of people off, and wasn't necessarily the "right" decision for them to make.

When there are this many people unhappy about such a decision, it lends itself to having a high possibility of being the wrong choice they could have made. When there is an outspoken minority against something, I can understand not being able to make everyone happy... but 3 out of 5 people I've been seeing around here, or heard talking, don't like how Samus has been depicted in Other M.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 finalfantasy94

[QUOTE="IppoTenma"]Disagree 100%. Your argument is garbage. Samus finally being fleshed out is a good thing.foxhound_fox

And Nintendo's attempt is garbage. I find it interesting how so many people can just accept what Nintendo gives them as "The Word" and then go on to defend it, no matter how ****ty it might actually be. Don't you value these IP's? I agree that Samus being fleshed out is a good thing, but they've done it all wrong, and there is more than one way they could have done it. Turning her into a whiny, submissive emo teenager isn't what I had in mind for the passionate, badass bounty hunter who epitomized women's equality.

Didint you say yourself you wont judge it untill you play it and see for yourself. Also in my eyes the attempt is very far from garbage.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

KBFloYd

cmon ;) you know you want a regular controller... their games are are kiddie compared to ps3.. cmon ;) dont lie.

Nope, one of my favorite games of all time is still Donkey Kong Country. Unlike you though. When I agree or disagree with other people I am more than capable of arguing and debating(with a whole lot of styIe points). You? have to settle for generalizing. It's cute though :)
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
Why am I not feeling all the hate for Samus in other M? I only became interested in the metroid series in 2004ish. So I think I didn't develop a logical, complex interpretation of Samus's character as some die hard fans have. But I really don't get the hatred.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

I didn't see any love interest in adam from samus...she sees him as a father.

The fear of ridley thing was a bit much though. i'd rather she have a bitter hatred for him or some kind of rage.

svetzenlether

Okay, so how would you feel if the person/thing who slaughtered your family and friends and WHO YOU THOUGHT WAS DEAD BY YOUR OWN HAND was all of a sudden standing right in front of you?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

He's come back how many times :? And that's just the point. He's killed everything she's loved. IF she's shocked/surprised it's one thing, but frightened? Her being scared was odd given the history.