'member when Nintendo hid Mew behind a $50 paywall in Let's Go Pikachu?

misrespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 misrespect
Member since 2019 • 84 Posts

member when they charged people $60 for games from several years ago and re-released them on the Switch with little to no changes?

member how Nintendo just announced a "new" Pokemon game that's actually the same shit since the original and they're going to charge people a $60 premium rather than the $30-40 these games used to be?

I 'member

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

Another Alty strikes again!

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15919 Posts

You may be an Alt but hey, its nintendo. Those nintendo drones gonna buy every reharshed pokemon game there is no matter how many time nintendo remake it, its basically free money for nintendo.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I member that it was the dark times of gaming

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

Yeah, the new Pokémon looks dissapointingly devoid of effort. Now they have a chance to make a real console Pokémon game, but decided to make another 3DS game with less jaggies.

No buy from me.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

The Pokemon Company did that, not Nintendo.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 UItravioIence  Online
Member since 2016 • 3025 Posts

Nincels will buy anything with a pokemon name slapped on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Is member the new cool thing to say? kids these days ugh.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

At least now the cows have something else to talk about besides Crackdown 3. Don't worry, Nintendo will keep you entertained until a new game comes out for you. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@mandzilla said:

At least now the cows have something else to talk about besides Crackdown 3. Don't worry, Nintendo will keep you entertained until a new movie comes out for you. :)

Fixed that for you and you're welcome :)

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

'Member when alts brought something interesting

I don't

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Broke gamers best stick to free 2 play

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

I only play the main Pokemon game series and don't care about the spin-off stuff, so I don't care about this paywall.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

This topic is misrespectful

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#17 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Nintendo are bad.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

Nope.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Techhog89
@uninspiredcup said:

Nintendo are bad.

uninspiredposting

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#20 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@techhog89 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Nintendo are bad.

uninspiredposting

Don't forget, he compared Nintendo to prominent fascists of WWII. Something I would be in hot water for by EVERY SW poster for.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61485 Posts

Okey dokey.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mandzilla  Moderator
@i_p_daily said:
@mandzilla said:

At least now the cows have something else to talk about besides Crackdown 3. Don't worry, Nintendo will keep you entertained until a new movie comes out for you. :)

Fixed that for you and you're welcome :)

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mandzilla  Moderator
@xantufrog said:

This topic is misrespectful

The wittiest post, nicely done.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Gotta feel bad for Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, and Kojima. Sony's probably pressuring them all to rush their games out this year so there's something to hype in 2019.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#25 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@techhog89 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Nintendo are bad.

uninspiredposting

Don't forget, he compared Nintendo to prominent fascists of WWII. Something I would be in hot water for by EVERY SW poster for.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

Remember when Sony wanted to do the same with the PSP/Vita and failed miserably?

Remember when Sony made a bigger variety of games that were not just third person action games? that were actually successful?

Remember when Sony tried to compete with Online Games (LOL)

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

@misrespect said:

member when they charged people $60 for games from several years ago and re-released them on the Switch with little to no changes?

Yeah that's what they charged people. But Pokemon fans paid $100 bucks for the bundle.

True_Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By True_Link
Member since 2019 • 243 Posts

I miss the good old times when Nintendo games were cheaper...

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

with little to no changes?

____

Except Let's Go is a complete remake with new features that changed up the classic pokemon gameplay.

But sure, zero changes lol.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19571 Posts

1) It wasn't Mew for $50, it was a $50 controller with Mew included in it.

2) Pokemon Lets Go had some pretty big changes over the original game - completely redesigning how Pokemon collecting worked, changing the story and powers, and so on. If you've played both, you'd definitely notice the difference.

3) Pokemon games have iterative sequels. That's no surprise - plenty of series do that, where every game in the series is fundamentally pretty similar to the last one.

Anyway, it's a bit hard to judge Sword and Shield when we know basically nothing about it. I assume that it'll be structurally the same as the last few games, but we've got no actual confirmation of that right now.

misrespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 misrespect

@Bread_or_Decide: I was talking about New Super Mario Bros for that one but you must be joking yourself if you honestly think Let's Go was a new game lmao

misrespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 misrespect

@Planeforger:

1) Yes, Mew is already in the game but you can't catch it unless if you go out and buy a plastic pokeball for $50

2) It made no changes to the actual world/exploration do you honestly think it's a $60 game? I wouldn't be complaining if it released for $40 like it always has

3) Again, it doesn't have the content to be a AAA $60 title it's a total ripoff.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#33 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Okay, who's alt is this?

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@sakaixx said:

You may be an Alt but hey, its nintendo. Those nintendo drones gonna buy every reharshed pokemon game there is no matter how many time nintendo remake it, its basically free money for nintendo.

And what exactly are other studios doing? We can talk new IP for days, but the amount of developers actually innovating can be counted on one hand, and creating new IP is not in and of itself innovating if it's merely reskinning old game design concepts with a different coat of paint.

LinvuS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LinvuS
Member since 2019 • 8 Posts

So what, pokemon will always be free money

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15919 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: its either they try to innovate or release yearly franchises like cod or pokemon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#37 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Look, Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee aren't main series games, and everyone knew that when they came out.

They are aimed at a very specific demographic of Pokemon fans, mainly people who never got into the series in the last 20 years, but who maybe like Pokemon Go.

It was never going to be the major outing that Sword and Shield will be. And while the games are more casual than the original Red, Blue and Yellow, they are a complete spiritual remake of Yellow and not the same exact game.

Yes, the Pokeball device and its price tag are ridiculous. Yes, the $100 edition is also craycray. But a lot of work went into making that game in a relatively short timespan, so the $60 price tag is probably fair.

misrespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 misrespect
@Ovirew said:

Look, Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee aren't main series games, and everyone knew that when they came out.

They are aimed at a very specific demographic of Pokemon fans, mainly people who never got into the series in the last 20 years, but who maybe like Pokemon Go.

It was never going to be the major outing that Sword and Shield will be. And while the games are more casual than the original Red, Blue and Yellow, they are a complete spiritual remake of Yellow and not the same exact game.

Yes, the Pokeball device and its price tag are ridiculous. Yes, the $100 edition is also craycray. But a lot of work went into making that game in a relatively short timespan, so the $60 price tag is probably fair.

"a lot of work"

Are you sure about that? Because other than Eevee and Pikachu, all the pokemon still make their shitty 8 bit sounds they've always made since the original. The pokemon models were directly ripped from Pokemon Go so they've existed for years now. Many of the physical moves in the game still don't have animations and the pokemon stupidly jump in mid air. All of the items in the menus are the same pixellated graphics since Firered.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

I was hoping for more innovation from the new Pokémon. I am not at all surprised, just was hoping for something a bit more interesting.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@techhog89 said:

The Pokemon Company did that, not Nintendo.

Pokemon Company or GameFreak?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#41 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@misrespect: I can't comment on the reusing models from Go thing, since I didn't know that's what they did. I played the demo and thought the game had a nice visual style, but if they directly pulled character models from the smartphone game I'm kind of surprised they look as good as they do.

Your complaint about animations though.... I don't think people realize the amount of work it takes to make each and every (nearly 1000, some with alternate forms) pokemon its own unique animations and attack poses. Making each one physically touch in battle opens up a whole other can of worms, since pokemon are all different shapes and sizes, some are floating, and many simply have odd forms that makes it difficult to show how they would reach one another.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Techhog89

@dotWithShoes: Pokemon Company.

True_Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By True_Link

@misrespect: the models aren't ripped from go, they're the same as X and Y. GF stated at the time that they were making the models future proof to use them in the future, so so this was expected. Besides, I don't see any point in using new models for the same Pokemon, new animations, yeah, new models? Nonsense.

Please, get your facts right.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Techhog89
@Ovirew said:

@misrespect: I can't comment on the reusing models from Go thing, since I didn't know that's what they did. I played the demo and thought the game had a nice visual style, but if they directly pulled character models from the smartphone game I'm kind of surprised they look as good as they do.

Your complaint about animations though.... I don't think people realize the amount of work it takes to make each and every (nearly 1000, some with alternate forms) pokemon its own unique animations and attack poses. Making each one physically touch in battle opens up a whole other can of worms, since pokemon are all different shapes and sizes, some are floating, and many simply have odd forms that makes it difficult to show how they would reach one another.

The Pokemon models used are the same ones they've used since Pokedex 3D. All of the the 3DS games, Switch games, and Pokemon GO use those model rather than making brand new models for each game. They're pretty high-poly though because that was planned from the beginning, which is why the 3DS games run so poorly in battles. I don't think there's anything wrong with them doing this since remaking all of the models from scratch with every game seems like an unnecessary pain, but people here complain about everything every chance they get.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11091 Posts

I don't, actually. But watching people damage control it is spectacular nonetheless.

True_Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 True_Link

@techhog89 said:
@Ovirew said:

The Pokemon models used are the same ones they've used since Pokedex 3D. All of the the 3DS games, Switch games, and Pokemon GO use those model rather than making brand new models for each game. They're pretty high-poly though because that was planned from the beginning, which is why the 3DS games run so poorly in battles. I don't think there's anything wrong with them doing this since remaking all of the models from scratch with every game seems like an unnecessary pain, but people here complain about everything every chance they get.

I agree, it's not like the artstyle has changed or anything. They can improve the overall graphics without messing with the models.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@sakaixx said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: its either they try to innovate or release yearly franchises like cod or pokemon.

I think a big obstacle is that development has become so large scale and costly that it's simultaneously difficult to scope out a project with lofty, innovative ideas with a clear goal on how to make them work (see Cory Barlog's post God of War interview, claiming that the game largely didn't work for four years) and too risky from a financial standpoint to experiment with something that ultimately fails.