Megaton Xbox One games can be shared with 10 family members

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crusadernm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 crusadernm
Member since 2009 • 1609 Posts

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/microsoft-defends-the-xbox-ones-licensing-used-game-policies/

It's a "family" affair

Since its announcement, there has been some confusion over the details of sharing your Xbox One game library with up to ten "family members." Mehdi couldn't give comprehensive details but he did clarify some things.

For one, a family member doesn't have to be a "blood relative," he said, eliminating the extremely unlikely possibility that the Xbox One would include a built-in blood testing kit. For another, they don't have to live in the primary owner's houseI could name a friend that lives 3,000 miles away as one of my "family members" Mehdi said.

You'll be able to link other Xbox Live accounts as having shared access to your library when you first set up a system, and will also be able to add them later on (though specific details of how you manage these relationships is still not being discussed). The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time. All in all, this does sound like a pretty convenient feature that's more workable than simply passing discs around amongst friends who are actually in your area.

Looks like the 10 accounts can be linked/shared but only 1 person can play from the shared library at a time. 

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
Megaton, PS4 games can be shared with anyone.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Megaton, PS4 games can be shared with anyone.II_Seraphim_II

game set match

crusadernm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 crusadernm
But digital is better than having to pass discs around. I have a friend who lives across the nation.
Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

RIP lems

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Boom. Headshot!
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts
yeah, lol
-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

So I can borrow a game without leaving my house. Eh ... Don't care.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]Megaton, PS4 games can be shared with anyone.crusadernm
But digital is better than having to pass discs around. I have a friend who lives across the nation.

And? You have a postal system right?
crusadernm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 crusadernm

I'm gonna gather my 10 closest friends. We are each going to buy one game and share this library with each other.  Or buy 1 game at 60 dollars, each of us contributing 6 bucks and pass the game with each other. 

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
Does the sharing expire? Kinda like digital books. U take out digitally and in like 2 weeks u lose access? If not then what would stop 10 people share 10 games each so there is a pool of 100 games
casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

lol

27717-Zelda-Abandon-thread-gif-LwhD.gif

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]Megaton, PS4 games can be shared with anyone.crusadernm

I like the convenience of that. I've got friends in Europe, and on the east coast of the US.

I also like the possibility of being able to share a game while you are playing that very same game, so you can do co-op with someone across the world without having to both own the game. Sounds great :)

crusadernm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 crusadernm

[QUOTE="crusadernm"][QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]Megaton, PS4 games can be shared with anyone.Ly_the_Fairy

I like the convenience of that. I've got friends in Europe, and on the east coast of the US.

I also like the possibility of being able to share a game while you are playing that very same game, so you can do co-op with someone across the world without having to both own the game. Sounds great :)

Yep that sounds good too. It's like 2 games for the price of 1.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

new accessory for x1 in background.

th?id=H.4545760068177025&pid=15.1

bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
[QUOTE="crusadernm"][QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]Megaton, PS4 games can be shared with anyone.clyde46

Don't be dumb, sharing digitally is only a million times easier and more convenient. If you mail it then only the person who gets it mailed to him can play the game until he ships it off to somebody else. I'm pretty sure with Xbone anybody can play it, just not at the same time. I know you can do the obvious let a friend borrow the game with the PS4, but can you digitally share things also? (Legit question I don't know the answer)
crusadernm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 crusadernm

Riverwolf007
hehehe. From the article. For one, a family member doesn't have to be a "blood relative," he said, eliminating the extremely unlikely possibility that the Xbox One would include a built-in blood testing kit.
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts

[QUOTE="crusadernm"][QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]Megaton, PS4 games can be shared with anyone.Ly_the_Fairy

only one person can use the game at a time. You can't co-op or play multiplayer with them.

I am curious what you need to do to add a family member.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
/thread
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 II_Seraphim_II

Yo, if you prefer the Xbone method then more power to you. Im not saying its bad or anything, Im just saying its not a megaton.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

crusadernm

hehehe. From the article. For one, a family member doesn't have to be a "blood relative," he said, eliminating the extremely unlikely possibility that the Xbox One would include a built-in blood testing kit.

well according to sw it measures your dong, destroys consumer rights  and gives your dog cancer so i just like throwing fuel on the fire.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="crusadernm"] But digital is better than having to pass discs around. I have a friend who lives across the nation. crusadernm

Yep that sounds good too. It's like 2 games for the price of 1.

Yep. I've already said it'll be great for setting up Halo LAN parties.

Right now my friends and I either have to rent an extra copy, or find someone to give us an extra copy.

Sharing digitally sounds 100x easier. Just click the download button, and go. Now two consoles have the game ready to play.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 II_Seraphim_II

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="crusadernm"] But digital is better than having to pass discs around. I have a friend who lives across the nation. NEWMAHAY

only one person can use the game at a time. You can't co-op or play multiplayer with them.

More likely than not, you will have to have the same last name on your XBL account. Thats the simplest and most effective way of confirming familial relationship. If people wanna buy another XBL for the sake of trading games then thats on them lol.
-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

[QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"]

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

II_Seraphim_II

More likely than not, you will have to have the same last name on your XBL account. Thats the simplest and most effective way of confirming familial relationship. If people wanna buy another XBL for the sake of trading games then thats on them lol.

I doubt they'd do it like that. A family isn't only a family due to their last name.

MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts
This.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
Okay so, you can share games with 10 People from your gaming library that you designate as "family". You do realize that since they won't be playing on your console they have that 1 Hour limit correct? It's not all sunshine and roses.
crusadernm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 crusadernm
Okay so, you can share games with 10 People from your gaming library that you designate as "family". You do realize that since they won't be playing on your console they have that 1 Hour limit correct? It's not all sunshine and roses.FlamesOfGrey
That's true. I mean you go by what's acceptable. If that's too inconvenient for you then this system wouldn't be for you.
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="crusadernm"] But digital is better than having to pass discs around. I have a friend who lives across the nation. NEWMAHAY

Where have they stated you can't play your games with each other?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9547 Posts

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

crusadernm

I wouldn't be surprised if they did...

bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
Okay so, you can share games with 10 People from your gaming library that you designate as "family". You do realize that since they won't be playing on your console they have that 1 Hour limit correct? It's not all sunshine and roses.FlamesOfGrey
I thought that was only if you weren't online or something? Idk..
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FlamesOfGrey

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]Okay so, you can share games with 10 People from your gaming library that you designate as "family". You do realize that since they won't be playing on your console they have that 1 Hour limit correct? It's not all sunshine and roses.crusadernm
That's true. I mean you go by what's acceptable. If that's too inconvenient for you then this system wouldn't be for you.

Exactly the reason I'm not buying an Xbox One. Microsoft isn't going to put me on a leash and control everything I do.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
[QUOTE="crusadernm"][QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]
[QUOTE="crusadernm"][QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]Megaton, PS4 games can be shared with anyone.clyde46

Oh come on now. You know damn well that wasn't a good reply. Either way though, anybody is still better than ten regardless if some of his friends like a long distance away.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 II_Seraphim_II

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"][QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"] only one person can use the game at a time. You can't co-op or play multiplayer with them.

-Snooze-

I doubt they'd do it like that. A family isn't only a family due to their last name.

You are correct, but thats the simplest way of verifying that someone is indeed your family member. If you have a family member with a different last name they will tell you "Its a completely different household and a completely different family unit". Just think about it. How else would they control people not sharing their games with their friends? And in general, if we are members of the same family unit (Mother/father/sibilings) and we happen to have different last names, chances are high that we probably got married and moved out and are independent and thus should afford our own Xbone. Now this is 100% speculation, but this seems like the most rational way of controlling this.
crusadernm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 crusadernm

[QUOTE="-Snooze-"]

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"] More likely than not, you will have to have the same last name on your XBL account. Thats the simplest and most effective way of confirming familial relationship. If people wanna buy another XBL for the sake of trading games then thats on them lol.II_Seraphim_II

You are correct, but thats the simplest way of verifying that someone is indeed your family member. If you have a family member with a different last name they will tell you "Its a completely different household and a completely different family unit". Just think about it. How else would they control people not sharing their games with their friends? And in general, if we are members of the same family unit (Mother/father/sibilings) and we happen to have different last names, chances are high that we probably got married and moved out and are independent and thus should afford our own Xbone. Now this is 100% speculation, but this seems like the most rational way of controlling this.

I personally think 10 Xbox Live Gold accounts will have to be designated as linked or shared.  From that the libraries of all 10 people can be viewed.

Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts
TC was banned from gaf for being an ms shill
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

It's really sad lems think that is a megaton.

crusadernm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 crusadernm
TC was banned from gaf for being an ms shillcarlisledavid79
Yeah I was banned from gaf. But I'm no MS employee. lol
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FlamesOfGrey
[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]Okay so, you can share games with 10 People from your gaming library that you designate as "family". You do realize that since they won't be playing on your console they have that 1 Hour limit correct? It's not all sunshine and roses.bobcheeseball
I thought that was only if you weren't online or something? Idk..

Microsoft haven't clearified everything about all this connectivity access yet. They probably won't and we'll have to wait till November when gamers who buy the Xbox One make Video and blogs about it.
crusadernm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 crusadernm

I wonder if you have an initial 24 hours before every checkin.  Can someone log in log out.  And another person log in log out.  So on for the next 8 people.  Can all 10 be playing at the same time offline?  I'm gonna abuse this if true.

ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts
And we're done here.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FlamesOfGrey

I wonder if you have an initial 24 hours before every checkin.  Can someone log in log out.  And another person log in log out.  So on for the next 8 people.  Can all 10 be playing at the same time offline?  I'm gonna abuse this if true.

crusadernm
Only 2 people can play at one time on different consoles. The main account and 1 of those 10 family members. Microsoft aren't stupid and they saw how people abused the 5 console system Sony initially had on PS3 which forced Sony to drop it down to 2 consoles because of game sharing.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 II_Seraphim_II

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"][QUOTE="-Snooze-"]

crusadernm

I personally think 10 Xbox Live Gold accounts will have to be designated as linked or shared.  From that the libraries of all 10 people can be viewed.

So why what would stop me from just sharing with 10 of my buddies, and thus making MS's whole DRM strategy sort of useless lol. Why would I even need to ability to give a way my game once, when I can just share with 10 of my buddies and we can just make sure to play the games at different times? MS has invested too much time and money into this DRM scheme to leave such an obvious loophole.
crusadernm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 crusadernm
[QUOTE="crusadernm"]

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"] You are correct, but thats the simplest way of verifying that someone is indeed your family member. If you have a family member with a different last name they will tell you "Its a completely different household and a completely different family unit". Just think about it. How else would they control people not sharing their games with their friends? And in general, if we are members of the same family unit (Mother/father/sibilings) and we happen to have different last names, chances are high that we probably got married and moved out and are independent and thus should afford our own Xbone. Now this is 100% speculation, but this seems like the most rational way of controlling this.II_Seraphim_II

So why what would stop me from just sharing with 10 of my buddies, and thus making MS's whole DRM strategy sort of useless lol. Why would I even need to ability to give a way my game once, when I can just share with 10 of my buddies and we can just make sure to play the games at different times? MS has invested too much time and money into this DRM scheme to leave such an obvious loophole.

Yep its ripe for abuse. MS needs to give more details.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Well that's...even more confusing. So I can buy a game and then 10 friends can basically just play it whenever I'm/another friend is not online and playing it? Sounds unlikely.
TheRealBigRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheRealBigRich
Member since 2010 • 784 Posts

this is really not megaton and they really need to clarify how this works first 

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FlamesOfGrey
[QUOTE="crusadernm"]

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"] You are correct, but thats the simplest way of verifying that someone is indeed your family member. If you have a family member with a different last name they will tell you "Its a completely different household and a completely different family unit". Just think about it. How else would they control people not sharing their games with their friends? And in general, if we are members of the same family unit (Mother/father/sibilings) and we happen to have different last names, chances are high that we probably got married and moved out and are independent and thus should afford our own Xbone. Now this is 100% speculation, but this seems like the most rational way of controlling this.II_Seraphim_II

The online system will probably have some restrictions or checks. The system isn't fully detailed yet so we really just don't know anything but the basics.
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I'm gonna gather my 10 closest friends. We are each going to buy one game and share this library with each other.  Or buy 1 game at 60 dollars, each of us contributing 6 bucks and pass the game with each other. 

crusadernm
That's an amazing idea, I'll be doing the same thing, I guess.
crusadernm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 crusadernm
Well that's...even more confusing. So I can buy a game and then 10 friends can basically just play it whenever I'm/another friend is not online and playing it? Sounds unlikely.bobbetybob
I assume its like giving your friend your game disc except there's no actual physical delivery.