Maybe Wii U is not so bad after all

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

At least it has one good use

Could make a fun gift for your girl

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

The WiiU just needs more good games. I don't think it is a bad console. But since it doesn't have a lot going for it, it's not appealing to anyone.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45238 Posts

Wii U is a great system. Most people here are too harsh and actually don't own the system.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@2ndwonder said:

The WiiU just needs more good games. I don't think it is a bad console. But since it doesn't have a lot going for it, it's not appealing to anyone.

The WiiU has plenty of good games from what i'm seeing, i guess as a main console it's not as good as the other two because of the lack of 3rd party support, but as a console you buy for exclusives, it dwarfs the other two. If you have a PC, the WiiU is definitely the console to get, in my opinion at least.

The problem is that it's a commercial failure, so it will continue to lack in 3rd party multiplats and end up in a distant 3rd place. The only thing that can guarantee salvation from this fate is a strong, agressive marketing campaign, which for whatever reason, Nintendo will never do.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Wii U is a great system. Most people here are too harsh and actually don't own the system.

Not really it isn't.

Its just a slightly upgraded wii with a new controller and the wii itself was just a slightly upgraded gamecube with a new controller.

All of the games from Nintendo on it are just franchiser jerk offs of the same thing old again and again and again.

The online gaming and community portion is absolutely garbage and the worst of all game systems on the market today.

The hardware is to weak for newer games which loses them a lot of attention and a lot of sales.

They have awful 3rd party support for developers and publishers so they don't attract much to the table except little tiny companies like zoo that don't do anything but shit out constant shovelware.

The tablet controller has absolutely nothing going for it that makes it worth owning and Nintendo cant even come up with one reason why its a valuable gaming device.

Regardless of whether or not you own the system we all know these things to be true. I own one and I know they are true. I spend more time playing wii games on it than I do wiiu games.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45238 Posts

@Gargus said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Not really it isn't.

Its just a slightly upgraded wii with a new controller and the wii itself was just a slightly upgraded gamecube with a new controller.

All of the games from Nintendo on it are just franchiser jerk offs of the same thing old again and again and again.

The online gaming and community portion is absolutely garbage and the worst of all game systems on the market today.

The hardware is to weak for newer games which loses them a lot of attention and a lot of sales.

They have awful 3rd party support for developers and publishers so they don't attract much to the table except little tiny companies like zoo that don't do anything but shit out constant shovelware.

The tablet controller has absolutely nothing going for it that makes it worth owning and Nintendo cant even come up with one reason why its a valuable gaming device.

Regardless of whether or not you own the system we all know these things to be true. I own one and I know they are true. I spend more time playing wii games on it than I do wiiu games.

Maybe because I bought it knowing what exactly I was getting. I'm not dirt poor and can afford multiple consoles and I'm fine with it being my Nintendo machine. But saying it is awful for what it is not is like complaining that the Civic you just bought isn't a Mercedes. I also like the fact that it can play Wii games since I can catch up on some great games. Also, the online features, while not on par with Xbox LIve or PS, are still pretty good and I'll be having fun kicking ass in Mario Kart and Super Smash. I also don't have to plunk down on paying for online. Also, the tablet controller is great and fun to use and remote play is pretty handy.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#8 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

It's not bad at all, it needs to lower its price again and release some good games. That's it

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

"Could make a fun gift for your girl"... Maybe If your girl is fictional TV character and no self respecting woman would do that... Unless you point a camera at them and pay them money.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It's not a bad console at all. It needs more games, especially in the Virtual Console department. A close to full library of classic NES/SNES games would bring a lot of appeal I believe.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52442 Posts

It's the least exciting console I've ever owned. It's been collecting dust for quite a while now.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@2ndwonder said:

The crazy thing is, is that it already has several good games. More than either the Bone or the PS4.

• Super Mario 3D World
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Pikmin 3
  • TLoZ: Wind Waker HD
  • The Wonderful 101
  • ZombiU

That's a sizeable list for anyone. All it's missing is Mario Kart and Smash Bros. and anyone who enjoys simply "fun" games should get one.

anab0lic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 anab0lic
Member since 2011 • 374 Posts

in terms of exclusives wii u has the best library right now of all the next gen consoles... it also has imo the best stuff coming in 2014...

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts
@2ndwonder said:

I have a lot of complaints about my Wii U; such as the crappy hardware, OS, online service, and controller, but one thing I definitely don't have any complaints about is the games. The Wii U has some really great games, much better than anything on Xbox One and PS4 right now and in the foreseeable future. And soon Mario Kart and Smash Bros will be added to Wii U's list of great games.

I would never recommend the Wii U to be anybody's primary console, but it is definitely worth purchasing as a companion console for it's awesome exclusive games.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26104 Posts

The Wii U needs more third party releases. There is no reason for the PS3 to be getting all these new releases and yet not be coming to Wii U. Sure, the new Donkey Kong is better than any game released this year on consoles; but there is no reason that should be the only game released on the Wii U so far this year.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

What is it with the silly Wii U threads?

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 steamistrash
Member since 2014 • 431 Posts

no pressure sensitive triggers=suckage

Puggy301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 Puggy301
Member since 2003 • 202 Posts

I'd rather play with her Wii.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

My girl would slap me if I bought her a Wii U instead of the PS4. She isn't a big fan of wasting money and neither am I.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I've got one more free spot in my TV cabinet, the PS4 and Xbox One are starting to get a long (Yeah fucken right lol) Maybe if I introduce a female to them both (Wii U) things will calm down a little. Come on Nintendo give me a reason to buy one.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

I really enjoy it but as others have said as a secondary console for its exclusives and the occasional multiplat (when it was still getting them). It does have some very good games available and some more coming up.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

The Wii U isn't bad at all, just not particularly great as it is now either, and probably won't look any better when third party picks up for the other 2 consoles.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#24 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

At least the Wii U has the Wii library to back it up. That's already 10x more than the Xbone and ps4 have.

SpideR_CentS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 SpideR_CentS
Member since 2006 • 4766 Posts
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

"Could make a fun gift for your girl"... Maybe If your girl is fictional TV character and no self respecting woman would do that... Unless you point a camera at them and pay them money.

Who wants a self respecting woman?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

The Wii U is extremely enticing as a secondary console, but I don't even know how much I'll be gaming as I near my 30s and beyond

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

It is a good system, but it's hard to defend it when you look at the release dates for upcoming games for the System.

The Next "Big" WiiU game coming in 2014 is in May. MAY and it's end of May too, the 30th. Even if you take download to account the Next Game in line for WiiU is NES Remix 2 which is in April 25th.

The Game Droughts are horrendous. WiiU should have gotten Dark Souls 2, WiiU should have gotten Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns, WiiU should have gotten South Park the Stick of Truth, WiiU should have gotten Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes, WiiU should have gotten Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2....I could keep going but that's not going to change much.

WiiU is just too poor of a system to defend. I have a lot of games for the system, but the future for it is dim.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#28 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41558 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

It is a good system, but it's hard to defend it when you look at the release dates for upcoming games for the System.

The Next "Big" WiiU game coming in 2014 is in May. MAY and it's end of May too, the 30th. Even if you take download to account the Next Game in line for WiiU is NES Remix 2 which is in April 25th.

The Game Droughts are horrendous. WiiU should have gotten Dark Souls 2, WiiU should have gotten Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns, WiiU should have gotten South Park the Stick of Truth, WiiU should have gotten Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes, WiiU should have gotten Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2....I could keep going but that's not going to change much.

WiiU is just too poor of a system to defend. I have a lot of games for the system, but the future for it is dim.

What, did it need Colonial Marines too? :roll:

I won't lie, it does need third party support, just NOT those games. I'll give you Dark Souls 2 and South Park, but... *facepalm*

Treal_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Treal_basic
Member since 2002 • 561 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

did you honestly think the WiiU was going to get those games given the history of Nintendo consoles that came before it?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@2ndwonder said:

The crazy thing is, is that it already has several good games. More than either the Bone or the PS4.

• Super Mario 3D World
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Pikmin 3
  • The Wonderful 101
  • ZombiU

That's a sizeable list for anyone. All it's missing is Mario Kart and Smash Bros. and anyone who enjoys simply "fun" games should get one.

Well the other two have been out for 4-5 months and the Wii U has been out for what, nearly a year and a half? That's not a lot really. And while you could say you were just pointing to a snapshot in time, the concern is whether this trend will be representative of the consistency in which good games are released for the console.

And there's this crazy idea, I don't know if it's nostalgia, but "fun" is somehow synonymous with Nintendo more so than the other platforms. Because consoles from the other companies cater to what ever you want really.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LegatoSkyheart
@Treal_basic said:

did you honestly think the WiiU was going to get those games given the history of Nintendo consoles that came before it?

Apparently it's wrong to think Nintendo would get decent 3rd Party support.

Nintendo consoles have had Turok, Resident Evil, Metal Gear and even Final Fantasy before you know. Heck Hitman can be found on the gamecube. Again is it wrong to expect such support for Nintendo Consoles?

@nintendoboy16 said:

I won't lie, it does need third party support, just NOT those games. I'll give you Dark Souls 2 and South Park, but... *facepalm*

See what I said for Treal_Basic. Also Just because you didn't like those games doesn't mean they were bad.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By nintendoboy16

@LegatoSkyheart said:
@Treal_basic said:

Apparently it's wrong to think Nintendo would get decent 3rd Party support.

Nintendo consoles have had Turok, Resident Evil, Metal Gear and even Final Fantasy before you know. Heck Hitman can be found on the gamecube. Again is it wrong to expect such support for Nintendo Consoles?

@nintendoboy16 said:

See what I said for Treal_Basic. Also Just because you didn't like those games doesn't mean they were bad.

Dude, FFXIII - Lightning Returns and Lords of Shadows 2 got mediocre reception all around (granted, this comes from someone who enjoys several games that has mediocre reception, but still, hardly anybody I'm seeing like these games, and the last thing Wii U needs are games that have this reception). That, and people are upset with Ground Zeroes.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LegatoSkyheart

@nintendoboy16 said:

Dude, FFXIII - Lightning Returns and Lords of Shadows 2 got mediocre reception all around (granted, this comes from someone who enjoys several games that has mediocre reception, but still, hardly anybody I'm seeing like these games, and the last thing Wii U needs are games that have this reception). That, and people are upset with Ground Zeroes.

So you want Nintendo games to get nothing, but High Profile ONLY games that are nothing but the Green Zone in Metacritic that all gamers just love.

Yeah I think that's a poor reason to state why it's good for WiiU to miss out on such games.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

If it actually got a consistent flow of good games it'd be worth it.

With that said, the other consoles suffer from this as well. I'm really not sure why anyone is excited about console gaming nowadays. It just seems way too expensive for what you get.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By nintendoboy16

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

So you want Nintendo games to get nothing, but High Profile ONLY games that are nothing but the Green Zone in Metacritic that all gamers just love.

Yeah I think that's a poor reason to state why it's good for WiiU to miss out on such games.

Not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying the Wii U doesn't need another reason to struggle and those games would add fuel to the fire. I'm saying it needs a better received library, and they don't have to be big budget or high profile (well, actually, it needs something well known that isn't Mario/Zelda/Pokemon) either.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Sure, the Wii U "should" be getting at least ports of the games coming to PS3/360, but I think most developers are already satisfied with the install base reached on PS3/360/PC combined. The thinking behind it is that most Wii U owners either bought their system primarily for first party games, or probably own a 360 or PS3 already given that those systems have a huge install base when combined together.

It will all become a moot point as developers shift to PS4/PC/One games, because the Wii U will be too underpowered to run a game designed from the beginning for more advanced hardware.

In short, developers don't feel they're missing out on much by not targeting Nintendo consoles. And you would think that Nintendo would learn by now that power does matter to Western developers. It may not matter to Japanese devs, but non-indie Western developers design cutting edge games with PC hardware in mind and then only put those games on consoles capable of handling them.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Well the other two have been out for 4-5 months and the Wii U has been out for what, nearly a year and a half? That's not a lot really. And while you could say you were just pointing to a snapshot in time, the concern is whether this trend will be representative of the consistency in which good games are released for the console.

And there's this crazy idea, I don't know if it's nostalgia, but "fun" is somehow synonymous with Nintendo more so than the other platforms. Because consoles from the other companies cater to what ever you want really.

That's a lot for any console after a year. The Bone and PS4 barely have two decent exclusive games worth playing and they've been out for 5 months.

Nostagia has nothing to do with the success of Nintendo's first party. If you have played their newest games (most at least, not things like Yoshi's New Island), you would know that despite the outer appearance of "the same old" mechanically they are leaps and bounds different and improved over their predecessors. Especially the likes of Super Mario 3D World.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#38  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

The Wii U is a nice system; it's just not good enough, and certainly not good enough to be your primary/only console.

Regardless, it's got some great games, and the console itself is unusually progressive in many, many ways.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Well it is Nintendo's problem for not aiding third party companies on the Wii U's kit. And thus lack of support.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@Gargus said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Not really it isn't.

The Wii U is underpowered for a console in 2014, but to call it a slight upgrade from the Wii is just ridiculous. That's like saying the Xbox 360 was a slight upgrade from the Xbox.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

The criticisms thrown at it from people who don't own it are, mostly, ridiculous. It has a good number of quality games, has flawless backwards compatibility and more ways to play with numerous quality controllers than the competition.

The problem is simply a lack of consistent releases. The high quality Nintendo/third party exclusives are few and far between, which makes having it as a stand alone primary system a real problem. Most in-the-know veteran gamers realize that and have accepted this as standard fare for Nintendo consoles, and utilize it as a secondary system for the titles they can't get elsewhere.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@2ndwonder said:

• Super Mario 3D World
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Pikmin 3
  • The Wonderful 101
  • ZombiU

None of those interest me outside of the Zelda rehash which I still don't care to play. Pretty sure the PS4 exclusive list will be better and longer than that by the time it has been out 17 months or so....

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Every wii u fan has a single excuse as to why the wii u failed and an easy quick fix. And they are all different. HundreDs of different primary failings, should tell you something.

It isn't a great system.stop being biased. It's ancient, over priced tech with few good games. It's a pile of crap and I'm delighted the gaming community have rejected it.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

this has been seen on the wii 10 years ago...nothing new. welcome to the world.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

At the moment, it's the only new console worth owning imo. I have plenty of good exclusives to play on my Wii U. Not so much on my PS4. I know this will change very soon and the Wii U will be left in the dust, but for the time being it seems a lot of people are just jumping on the hate wagon for the hell of it.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4197 Posts

@SpideR_CentS said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Who wants a self respecting woman?

Oh, nobody, except for real men.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I also don't have to plunk down on paying for online.

That's only because they can't create a service thats worth paying for. If they could find a way to make such a service, they would charge for it in a heart beat and you know it. Fortunately for you Nintendo is bafflingly incompetent when it comes to absolutely anything online related, so in all likelihood they won't get a service worth paying up and running until some time in the 2020's.

The Wii U is an abysmally bad console in every conceivable way. It just cannot be defended anymore.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#50 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@Xplode_games said:

What is it with the silly Wii U threads?

Nintendo really needs to release a device that allows 3DS games to play on an HDTV. Wii U is down, invest your efforts in the 3DS Nintendo.