Mass Effect 3: Omega review

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

No interest :?

Well, perhaps for free then, okay. :P

Anyway...

The Story.

Just some pics and the last couple of paragraphs so for full review, hit the linky.

---

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-28-mass-effect-3-omega-review

Aria sure you want to buy it?

Omega's price point as the most expensive Mass Effect DLC yet is another galling factor.

In terms of returning characters, two (very) minor Mass Effect 2 faces reappear.

The next single-player expansion will centre on the Citadel, if reliable internet sleuths on the BioWare forum are to be believed.

And it hasn't. Shepard is again given the illusion of choice - he can choose to save or kill in a couple of places, but in the end the decisions don't amount to anything. Insultingly, the only real story branch dependent on your dialogue options is how Aria acts at the close of this chapter. If you've acted like a badass she might pucker up and give you a kiss. (If you're wondering: I played as a Paragon and she didn't.)

Some might moan that Omega should have been part of the main game. I'm glad it isn't, although I do believe it would have worked better shrunk down to the length of a single mission. It's refreshing to get to the point where BioWare doesn't feel the need to address the main game's faults yet again in its DLC (the Extended Cut and Leviathan's story points were all conceived post-release) - but it's also worrying because Omega has been planned for far longer. BioWare has had a year to get Omega right. It didn't.

<:section>

4 / 10

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts
Ouch. Never bought ME DLC.
MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts
Meh, ME3 will continue to collect dust on my shelf.
balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

That was a close call, nearly bought it yesterday...

Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts
Haven't bought any ME dlc. Think that trend will continue. Shame as I like the main games.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#6 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
That's disappointing.
TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

Has the ME series ever had good DLC?

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

TheEpicGoat
Yes.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
Ugh, certainly not for $15.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Ugh, certainly not for $15. Heil68
$15? Yuck.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

The ending wasn't good, btu it wasn't as terrible as the internets made it out to be.

Still, combined with the horrible pacing, and the annoying gameplay mechanic of the repears out in space, which makes exploration a tedious thing, it's my least favorite Mass Effect.

It goes ME2, ME1, ME3. I played through ME1 twice, played through ME2, 4 times, and a few times through about half the game. That's how awesome it was. The pacing, the story, the exploration, the themes, the characters, it was near perfection. ME3 I played through once, and I've had 0 desire to play through it again. I might do it, now that there's an extended ending and lots of DLC, but I'll probably wait until all the DLC is out.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
I bought it and I enjoyed the DLC. I very much enjoy the Mass Effect world.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

The ending wasn't good, btu it wasn't as terrible as the internets made it out to be.

Still, combined with the horrible pacing, and the annoying gameplay mechanic of the repears out in space, which makes exploration a tedious thing, it's my least favorite Mass Effect.

It goes ME2, ME1, ME3. I played through ME1 twice, played through ME2, 4 times, and a few times through about half the game. That's how awesome it was. The pacing, the story, the exploration, the themes, the characters, it was near perfection. ME3 I played through once, and I've had 0 desire to play through it again. I might do it, now that there's an extended ending and lots of DLC, but I'll probably wait until all the DLC is out.

Kinthalis

ME1 for me. :)

But I wanted to say, I was less disappointed with ME3 after my second play through :o For some reason, I enjoyed it more so perhaps try it one more time. :P

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Kinthalis
For a second there I thought you were summerizing your thoughts on the DLC, but at the end you state you haven't even touched it. WHY ARE YOU SUMMERIZING YOUR THOUGHTS ON ME3 WHEN THIS THREAD CLEARLY IS ABOUT THE DLC. FFFUUUU. /caps.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

TheEpicGoat

shadow broker and overload were two very good dlcs.

megadeth1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 megadeth1117
Member since 2010 • 1830 Posts

Nothing stated in the review seemed to warrant a 4/10. The whining about how "choices don't matter" is starting to get annoying as well.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CanYouDiglt

Look I am not going to say it is the best DLC ever but it is good DLC. For some reason Bioware has become a punching bag this gen. They are clearly still making great games that people love but for some reason people love to hate on Bioware now. People will complain about things in this DLC that they would never complain about in any other games. The story is fine and you know clearly what you are doing from start to finish. There is no story that is needed in the main story but there should not be since it is DLC and everyone complained about the last DLC had too much important information.The Bioware hate is beyond stupid at this point.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

Nothing stated in the review seemed to warrant a 4/10. The whining about how "choices don't matter" is starting to get annoying as well.

megadeth1117
when you advertise the game around "CHOICES THAT MATTER" and make it the center of the attention a bunch of times, then it's a valid complaint that they do sh!t.
the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 the-obiwan
Member since 2003 • 3747 Posts
hehe well i knew this would suck, just like mostly ME 3, btw this content was meant to be in the original game but as mostly all the ME3 content was stripped out just for the milking.. ask yourself this: is it worthy to pay $15 for a few hours of pew pew and seeing aria around ? not to mention the DLC is very lackluster
megadeth1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 megadeth1117

[QUOTE="megadeth1117"]

BrunoBRS

when you advertise the game around "CHOICES THAT MATTER" and make it the center of the attention a bunch of times, then it's a valid complaint that they do sh!t.

But they do. Determining the fate of the Krogan and solving the conflict between the Quarians and Geth were entirely based on previous choices.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
So this is no Shadow broker? :(
Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

ME2 had some decent DLC... Too bad they're half assing it with ME3.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
:lol: Can't wait to see the damage control from our resident Biodrones.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zeviander
But they do. Determining the fate of the Krogan and solving the conflict between the Quarians and Geth were entirely based on previous choices.megadeth1117
And those choices meant nothing at the end of the game.
the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 the-obiwan
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]:lol: Can't wait to see the damage control from our resident Biodrones.

oh yes, they are coming.. and so the battle of discussions shall begin.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Meh, ME3 will continue to collect dust on my shelf. MercenaryMafia

poretty much, havent played it since the ending dlc was released and i dont want any reason to go back to, even though i really like the first two

the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 the-obiwan

[QUOTE="MercenaryMafia"]Meh, ME3 will continue to collect dust on my shelf. Krelian-co

poretty much, havent played it since the ending dlc was released and i dont want any reason to go back to, even though i really like the first two

lol same, the last thing i played was that horrid EC stuf, other than that ME 1 and ME 2 will be the best, although more ME 1 for me.
megadeth1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 megadeth1117

[QUOTE="megadeth1117"]But they do. Determining the fate of the Krogan and solving the conflict between the Quarians and Geth were entirely based on previous choices.Zeviander
And those choices meant nothing at the end of the game.

Were you promised otherwise?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22679 Posts
Mass effect dlc is always lacking of what the main game offers... its still fun though and im looking forward to it.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CanYouDiglt
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]:lol: Can't wait to see the damage control from our resident Biodrones.

Biohaters are FAR FAR more annoying. One group is enthusiastic about liking a game and the other group is just sad because they are enthusiastic about convincing everyone else the game is bad and they should not play it.
the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 the-obiwan
Mass effect dlc is always lacking of what the main game offers... its still fun though and im looking forward to it. TheEroica
its pure pew pew and nothing else than that.. but if thats what your into go for it.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Here's my issues with it.

1. The area doesn't become available.. bioware wtf here?

2. It's very very overpriced.

3. It's a bit too short and thus characters were rushed.

4. Somewhat buggy.

5. Doesn't have an impact on the galaxy.. for instance aria is still in the citadel after the fact and it feels like nothing happened at all.

Really speaking, Omega should have been opened up and filled with side quests to be worth the kind of money they are asking. It was fun, but not worth the price of admission.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Zeviander
Were you promised otherwise?megadeth1117
Yes, but that didn't matter. My problem with the ending was that every choice up until that point meant nothing in the grand scheme of things. It was just a contrived method of gathering good/bad "points" that gave you a couple extra options for how you wanted to save the universe with starchild's help. There would have been two scenarios that I would have preferred: 1. Bioware doesn't talk sh!t about the ending, and makes it so the Reapers always win, no matter what, poetically slapping the player across the face, saying "it was hopeless all along, but you could try again and maybe save it next time" *wink*. Making me want to replay it infinitely to try to win. 2. Every major decision has a non-quantitative effect on the ending, and can significantly alter it's result. Saving the krogan could end up biting you in the ass if Wrex died in the first game, for example.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

The inevitable damage control coming from the Biodrones over this will be entertaining.

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]:lol: Can't wait to see the damage control from our resident Biodrones.CanYouDiglt
Biohaters are FAR FAR more annoying. One group is enthusiastic about liking a game and the other group is just sad because they are enthusiastic about convincing everyone else the game is bad and they should not play it.

While Biodrones are enthusiastic about Bioware games, and Biohaters love to bash them, the behaviour of some Biodrones out there is just... taking it too far.

A large reason Bioware gets a lot of hate is because of false advertising, EA practices, and excessive dumbing down of sequels. Now with the third one. Bioware games are very popular, and because of that, they have an influence on the genre, and some see Bioware as a terrible influence on the WRPG genre.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

In b4 TGR and Dreman ruin the thread.

Sounds like pretty bad DLC but I was never interested anyway. I was over ME3 before I could even finish the second playthrough. I'll just watch the major plot points online like I did with extended cut and leviathan.

the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 the-obiwan

In b4 TGR and Dreman ruin the thread.

Sounds like pretty bad DLC but I was never interested anyway. I was over ME3 before I could even finish the second playthrough. I'll just watch the major plot points online like I did with extended cut and leviathan.

Vaasman
sorry to dissapoint you even further, the DLC has no plot points at all, its pure pew pew and what not.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

Looking back, I was disappointed in it. They should have kept Omega as an explorable area, Adjutants were barely there, the DLC's length was just over Leviathan's, it did feel rushed, should have had the female turian as a crew member afterwards, etc. That said, I did find parts enjoyable.

TrapJak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TrapJak
Member since 2011 • 2933 Posts

Mass effect dlc is always lacking of what the main game offers... its still fun though and im looking forward to it. TheEroica
Lair of the Shadow Broker is an awesome DLC experience, and Overlord has a fantastic ending. The DLC for ME3 is not worth it, unless it's for Multiplayer.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

:lol: Can't wait to see the damage control from our resident Biodrones.Zeviander

I just came here to say this!

Can't wait! :twisted:

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#42 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

:lol: Can't wait to see the damage control from our resident Biodrones.Zeviander
inb4 Texasgoldrush claiming ME3 is the best game ever created. :twisted:

BadNewsBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 BadNewsBen
Member since 2009 • 1493 Posts
Man, I was looking forward to some good ME DLC. I may still try it out, but at $15, it won't be until there is a price drop.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#44 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

TheEpicGoat

Lair of the Shadow Broker. Admittedly, I think that 's the only one I'd classify as really good.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

4/10? Seriously? Had to buy this yesterday because the wife is a ME nut. I watched her play it last night. Not the best DLC, but surely not 4 out of 10. More like 7-7.5 out of 10. It sucks that you're stuck with pre-defined partners to take with you on the missions, but the levels seem good, and it looks good. Probably not worth $15, but that's the price of admission. Companies are going crazy with the cost of DLC anymore, but at least Bioware is supporting the game with new content.

I'll probably get around to playing it myself this weekend.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#46 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

Look I am not going to say it is the best DLC ever but it is good DLC. For some reason Bioware has become a punching bag this gen. They are clearly still making great games that people love but for some reason people love to hate on Bioware now. People will complain about things in this DLC that they would never complain about in any other games. The story is fine and you know clearly what you are doing from start to finish. There is no story that is needed in the main story but there should not be since it is DLC and everyone complained about the last DLC had too much important information.The Bioware hate is beyond stupid at this point.

CanYouDiglt

For some reason? Maybe you should re-evalute how Bioware handled Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#47 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

:(

xOMGITSJASONx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 xOMGITSJASONx
Member since 2009 • 2634 Posts

Just beat it. Its definatly up there with Lair of the Shadow Broker ME 2 DLC. The problem was (for me) this DLC ran poorly on my PS3 with so many glitches frame rate drops and bugs. But as far as ME DLC goes regarding story, twists, deaths and romance its some of its best DLC ever. Now Bioware needs to lower that damn price its too damn high!!

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#49 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

TheEpicGoat
Lair of the Shadow Broker was a very good DLC for ME2. It was the last good SP DLC they've made for ME series.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

Just beat it. Its definatly up there with Lair of the Shadow Broker ME 2 DLC. The problem was (for me) this DLC ran poorly on my PS3 with so many glitches frame rate drops and bugs. But as far as ME DLC goes regarding story, twists, deaths and romance its some of its best DLC ever. Now Bioware needs to lower that damn price its too damn high!!

xOMGITSJASONx
it's too damn high and yet you paid for it. why would they lower if people buy it?