Mario Party was scored far to low...

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sony_Casual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sony_Casual
Member since 2006 • 1500 Posts
Did you guys even play the game? It's years ahead of the other games.

Let's start with your criticisms.

1) Gamecube Caliber graphics. 2 points. It's running on pretty much Gamecube hardware, and it deos look significantly better than previous installments so you can't exaclty dock it for someting that's impossible to improve on. The graphics should have been at least an 8.

Secondly, the graphics help to improve the game and make it more competitive. There isn't a lot of bells and whistles to focus on so no excuses when you lose. A game can't be competitive AND have good graphics. Look at games played seriously for money : Counter Strike, Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Quake...see a trend ? None have outstanding graphics. This is Nintendo's best chance at an E-sport and they have to promote it as such.

2) Spotty Widescreen support. Widescreen just started going into peoples houses in maybe like 04-05, and most 3rd world countries don't have it yet. Theres no point in spending extra resources on widescreen when you can spend it on competition stuff, which Nintendo did. Maybe like 5% of the people that would buy this game have widescreen, Nintendo tailors to the general person, not that 1 rich guy with a widescreen.

3) Chance still plays to large a roll. Two things are wrong here, the word "still" is the first problem. The game has never really had chance, it's always been more or less a game based on athletic and intellectual ability. And it's even more so now with the Wii-mote (which is the closest thing to skill in gaming atm besides maybe a dance pad for DDR). You could argue that the dice rolling is luck but relaly it's just there to pace the game and ensure everyone has to go through the same ordeals, which adds to the competitiveness and the chance of the game becoming an E-sport.

Personally I think a re-review is at hand, it probably won't happen. But I just wanted to clear it upfor people who were tinking of buying this game but got put off by the review.
tree-branch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 tree-branch
Member since 2007 • 3262 Posts

i played it and it was terrible.

it desrved a 4.

Sony_Casual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sony_Casual

it desrved a 4.

tree-branch
Any particular reason why ? Maybe you just werne't that good?
topcatyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 topcatyo
Member since 2006 • 1732 Posts
You know, despite what you think and hope, posting on a forum is not going to change the score.
Peter_Darkstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Peter_Darkstar
Member since 2003 • 1091 Posts

Um..Years ahead of other games?

The Mario party games are in need of desperate innovation. Maybe the reviewers just get tired of playing relatively the same game 8 times now?

Sony_Casual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sony_Casual

Um..Years ahead of other games?

The Mario party games are in need of desperate innovation. Maybe the reviewers just get tired of playing relatively the same game 8 times now?

Peter_Darkstar
In terms of the Mario Party series its far ahead of the others.

Its everything a game should be. Competitive, accessible, challenging, and it promotes bonding with friends and family.
Hater3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hater3000
Member since 2007 • 2310 Posts
IMO even the ad looked bad,you know you got a stinker when even the ad looks bad.Also take a look at the minigames,i remember Mario party 6 looking a lot better.
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts
I think my friend is getting this for my birthday.  I love Mario Party.
GazzaB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 GazzaB
Member since 2004 • 27139 Posts
I laughed at your second point. Keep trying:)
Sony_Casual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sony_Casual
IMO even the ad looked bad,you know you got a stinker when even the ad looks bad.Also take a look at the minigames,i remember Mario party 6 looking a lot better.Hater3000
You can't judge a book by it's cover.
CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts
I like having chance in games, it's when it's 100% chance, 0% skill which pisses me off. Like the rope game in Mario Party 6. I can't tell you how many games I've lost because of that.
Sony_Casual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sony_Casual
I think my friend is getting this for my birthday. I love Mario Party.Grodus5
Share what you like with us all :).
Sony_Casual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sony_Casual
I like having chance in games, it's when it's 100% chance, 0% skill which pisses me off. Like the rope game in Mario Party 6. I can't tell you how many games I've lost because of that.CJL13
I never personally experienced that. But overall I'd say that MP has the chance : skill ratio down pat.
Sony_Casual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sony_Casual
I laughed at your second point. Keep trying:)GazzaB
What was so funny about it ?
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Werent you bashing MP and the Wii yesterday :?
T005dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 T005dragon
Member since 2005 • 1616 Posts

WTF @ graphics and competitive play.

I havn't looked at the game nonetheless played it yet, so I don't have a right to pass judgement on it. But a lot of that sounds like escuses. 

Colt45fool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 Colt45fool
Member since 2003 • 79297 Posts
I think GS need to re-review this game ASAP. The first seven Mario Parties changed my life, and this one has put my social life on a complete hold since it's come out. My girlfriend offered to take me out to a steakhouse tonight, and she was going to pay for everything, but I decided against it to sit home, and play the latest installment of Mario Party. No way in hell any of my teachers better expect me in school tommorow.
osirisomeomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 osirisomeomi
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

Look, to figure out the proper score for a game on gs, just subtract .2 for xbox 360 games, add .3 for ps3 games, and subtract 10000 for wii games.

I love saying stuff just to see what happens. 

Hater3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hater3000

[QUOTE="Hater3000"]IMO even the ad looked bad,you know you got a stinker when even the ad looks bad.Also take a look at the minigames,i remember Mario party 6 looking a lot better.Sony_Casual

Apparently yes you can.

Colt45fool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Colt45fool
Werent you bashing MP and the Wii yesterday :? Haziqonfire
I don't think anyone who's clearly a fan of the Wii, and all things Mario, would bash Mario Party, and the Wii. You obviously lack the memory capacity to remember conversations that may have happened only 24 hours ago.
Colt45fool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Colt45fool
I like having chance in games, it's when it's 100% chance, 0% skill which pisses me off. Like the rope game in Mario Party 6. I can't tell you how many games I've lost because of that.CJL13
The game is all about how quickly you can push the button. I highly doubt Nintendo would create a family orientated game, just to frustrate their customers. Nintendo is the only company left in the big three, that actually cares about their customers anymore, and realizes that gamers are no longer in the 10-25 year old, male range.
topcatyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 topcatyo

[QUOTE="Hater3000"]IMO even the ad looked bad,you know you got a stinker when even the ad looks bad.Also take a look at the minigames,i remember Mario party 6 looking a lot better.Sony_Casual

Yes, but in this case, but book itself sucks too. 

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 haziqonfire

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Werent you bashing MP and the Wii yesterday :? Colt45fool
I don't think anyone who's clearly a fan of the Wii, and all things Mario, would bash Mario Party, and the Wii. You obviously lack the memory capacity to remember conversations that may have happened only 24 hours ago.

er.. http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?board_id=314159282&topic_id=25665657 

Colt45fool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Colt45fool

[QUOTE="Colt45fool"][QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Werent you bashing MP and the Wii yesterday :? Haziqonfire

er.. http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?board_id=314159282&topic_id=25665657 

That's obviously flamebait. Sony Casual's down with the Wii Tang!

WII TANG, WII TANG, WII TANG!!!

Socrates88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Socrates88
Member since 2007 • 1655 Posts
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

[QUOTE="Colt45fool"][QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Werent you bashing MP and the Wii yesterday :? Colt45fool

That's obviously flamebait. Sony Casual's down with the Wii Tang!

WII TANG, WII TANG, WII TANG!!!

36 chambers of cuteness?

madmaltese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#26 madmaltese
Member since 2004 • 21853 Posts
A redo of the review would be far too kind. Whoever wrote it needs to simply quit their job since they obviously have no idea what they are talking about. Mario Party 8 is one of the greatest games ever created. The amount of skill required is amazing and the game has practically unlimited replay value. I sold my PS2 so I could quickly go out and buy MP8 and i havent been disappointed so far
Colt45fool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Colt45fool

A redo of the review would be far too kind. Whoever wrote it needs to simply quit their job since they obviously have no idea what they are talking about. Mario Party 8 is one of the greatest games ever created. The amount of skill required is amazing and the game has practically unlimited replay value. I sold my PS2 so I could quickly go out and buy MP8 and i havent been disappointed so farmadmaltese
You too?

Good riddance to that PS2. Worst console I ever owned. My grandmother on her deathbed bought it for me, and the damn thing gave me disc read errors, the day after the warranty was up. Sony hates its customers. My Gamecube gave me much more joy anyways...I got to play so many versions of Mario Party :)

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 haziqonfire
Why does this guy have like 5 accounts..
madmaltese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 madmaltese
Why does this guy have like 5 accounts..Haziqonfire
oh, so just because more than 1 person in the world likes MP8 you obviously think that its just one person with multiple accounts. You are a disgrace to the gaming world
Baird-06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Baird-06
Member since 2006 • 3511 Posts

it desrved a 4.

tree-branch

Let me guess... you just played it by yourself? Go play it with 3 other people before passing judgement on this game. 

Colt45fool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Colt45fool

lmao, who would have 3 accounts...one with 1,000 posts, another with 20K, and another with 60K :lol: I mean, srsly.

rhaigun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 rhaigun
Member since 2005 • 3019 Posts
[QUOTE="GazzaB"]I laughed at your second point. Keep trying:)Sony_Casual

Because even in this day and age you can't leave anyone out. EVen if the majority of TVs are standard ratio, you're pretty much saying screw you to anyone who owns a 16:9 TV. Since I do have widescreen, I will never play this game.
topcatyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 topcatyo

lmao, who would have 3 accounts...one with 1,000 posts, another with 20K, and another with 60K :lol: I mean, srsly.

Colt45fool

You, as you made a topic yesterday that was huge about how this year is going to be 2004, and you made this long topic today.
Not to mention you're both posting in the same topic constantly.

Sony_Casual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sony_Casual

WTF @ graphics and competitive play.

I havn't looked at the game nonetheless played it yet, so I don't have a right to pass judgement on it. But a lot of that sounds like escuses.

T005dragon
Competitive play is becoming a huge part of video games today, whether we like it or not. Mario Party, imo captures this.
Colt45fool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Colt45fool
[QUOTE="tree-branch"]

it desrved a 4.

Baird-06

Let me guess... you just played it by yourself? Go play it with 3 other people before passing judgement on this game. 

WORD.

I played with three people yesterday, after I bought the game and it was such an experience. I let my grandma play, along with my baby brother (who's 6, mind you), myself, and my aneroxic cousin, who's 14. I'm 29, and the feeling of having so many people play on the Wii feels surreal. It's like, I felt the words of Reggie when I was playing, and completely understood the manifest destiny of Nintendo. It was like a coming out party really...in the middle of getting mushrooms, and having Bowser kick my ass for stars, I really saw the light of what Miyamato is planning for the Wii. Such a surreal experience...if you haven't played with three people yet, from different time periods, you honestly haven't lived.

Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts

[QUOTE="Sony_Casual"][QUOTE="GazzaB"]I laughed at your second point. Keep trying:)rhaigun

Because even in this day and age you can't leave anyone out. EVen if the majority of TVs are standard ratio, you're pretty much saying screw you to anyone who owns a 16:9 TV. Since I do have widescreen, I will never play this game.

There are couple of X360 games that are widescreen only, They didnt loose points for not supporting 4:3.

Colt45fool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Colt45fool
[QUOTE="Colt45fool"]

topcatyo

You, as you made a topic yesterday that was huge about how this year is going to be 2004, and you made this long topic today.

Would you find it ironic that we're from three different countries of the world?

And how exactly does any of this have to do with the topic at hand....which is Mario Party 8.

Sony_Casual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sony_Casual
[QUOTE="Baird-06"][QUOTE="tree-branch"]

it desrved a 4.

Colt45fool

WORD.

I played with three people yesterday, after I bought the game and it was such an experience. I let my grandma play, along with my baby brother (who's 6, mind you), myself, and my aneroxic cousin, who's 14. I'm 29, and the feeling of having so many people play on the Wii feels surreal. It's like, I felt the words of Reggie when I was playing, and completely understood the manifest destiny of Nintendo. It was like a coming out party really...in the middle of getting mushrooms, and having Bowser kick my ass for stars, I really saw the light of what Miyamato is planning for the Wii. Such a surreal experience...if you haven't played with three people yet, from different time periods, you honestly haven't lived.

You captured my feelings perfect. Seriusly, this game just brings everyone together. We need more of this to eliminate the stereotype of gamers being 20-30 year olds living in their mothers basement.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
Taking a break from playing been playing it for the last 3 hours with my family......It ton of fun but has far has the rating it was fair...The graphics are not all that, some games are luck but it still ton of fun.
Sony_Casual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sony_Casual
[QUOTE="topcatyo"][QUOTE="Colt45fool"]

Colt45fool

Would you find it ironic that we're from three different countries of the world?

And how exactly does any of this have to do with the topic at hand....which is Mario Party 8.

See, all 3 countries are united through the game.
Sony_Casual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sony_Casual
Taking a break from playing been playing it for the last 3 hours with my family......It ton of fun but has far has the rating it was fair...The graphics are not all that, some games are luck but it still ton of fun.HarlockJC
The graphics fit the goal of the game perfectly though.
GazzaB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#42 GazzaB
Member since 2004 • 27139 Posts

[QUOTE="rhaigun"][QUOTE="Sony_Casual"][QUOTE="GazzaB"]I laughed at your second point. Keep trying:)Marka1700

There are couple of X360 games that are widescreen only, They didnt loose points for not supporting 4:3.

Dude, in this day in age, who doesnt have a widescreen TV? Ive had widescreen TV's since the start of the millenium. Widescreen TV's are and have been the most dominant TV on the market for the past few years. 

Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts

This is next-gen no matter how last-gen Wii's hardware seems to be thus far. Thus the graphics are indefensible. Widescreen was supported back in the 90s by NiGHTS Into Dreams so not having widescreen support is indefensible.

The third point is the only one that is even close to defensible and I think that argument is flawed as well. 

No, a re-review is not due..get the **** over it, we all know Mario Party sucks, some people just didn't want to accept that so they made claims such as "Mario Party will be cool" or "It will be the best Mario Party ever" and the ocassional "I'm predicting mid-high A" or "I'm thinking high A-low AA". 

Sony_Casual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sony_Casual

This is next-gen no matter how last-gen Wii's hardware seems to be thus far. Thus the graphics are indefensible. Widescreen was supported back in the 90s by NiGHTS Into Dreams so not having widescreen support is indefensible.

The third point is the only one that is even close to defensible and I think that argument is flawed as well.

No, a re-review is not due..get the **** over it, we all know Mario Party sucks, some people just didn't want to accept that so they made claims such as "Mario Party will be cool" or "It will be the best Mario Party ever" and the ocassional "I'm predicting mid-high A" or "I'm thinking high A-low AA".

Runningflame570
I'll assume you never played the game.
Sony_Casual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Sony_Casual
[QUOTE="Marka1700"]

[QUOTE="rhaigun"][QUOTE="Sony_Casual"][QUOTE="GazzaB"]I laughed at your second point. Keep trying:)GazzaB

Dude, in this day in age, who doesnt have a widescreen TV? Ive had widescreen TV's since the start of the millenium. Widescreen TV's are and have been the most dominant TV on the market for the past few years.

Maybe in suburban areas. But 95% of the world is lucky to have a TV period.
Hater3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Hater3000
[QUOTE="tree-branch"]

it desrved a 4.

Baird-06

And why are those 3 people going to play for free?. :P

madmaltese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 madmaltese
[QUOTE="topcatyo"][QUOTE="Colt45fool"]

Colt45fool

indeed. in fact all it is is another example of how Mario Party 8 can unify people from all around the world. MP8 is more than just a game, it is a symbol of world unity and peace
Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts

I'll assume you never played the game.
Sony_Casual

I've played other Mario Party games and if it is just a revamp of all the older titles with some games making mediocre use of the Wii-mote then I can say that the score is entirely justified. Also, even the GBA can stretch the image on original GB and GBC games into its wider screen ratio.

SIP_YEK_NOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SIP_YEK_NOD
Member since 2004 • 304 Posts

quit beating around the bush. the graphics in the game are horrible. the pillarboxing is pathetic. however

the game is fun. its not much different than previous mario parties. the graphics may have been acceptable on the cube, but here, in 2007.  

fun game +

gamecube graphics -

gamecube gameplay -

it deserved what it got.  

Avatar image for Jack-o-Thompson
Jack-o-Thompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jack-o-Thompson
Member since 2007 • 2166 Posts
They should make ads for it that show random people coming together to play, like you could pull some bums out of the street and have a good time :P