Mario Kart 8 Reviews - 6 out of 10

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radio/2014/05/15/Video-game-review-Mario-Kart-8/stories/201405150233

"Mario Kart 8" is still all about racing friends in a chaotic battle for first place. That old form of fun is present, but this latest edition fails to drive the series forward with meaningful change.

Rating 3.5 out of 5

Second review:

A Safe Ride Upside Down - Mario Kart 8 Review

Mario Kart 8 is a strange game. Embattled publisher Nintendo seems to have put in a lot of effort into the title to save their flailing console (and their financial situation, too), but at the same time they have simply cheaped out in some baffling areas.

While the game runs at a silky-smooth 60fps in single-player mode, it appears the Kyoto developers were not able to hit that target in multiplayer. Which is a shame because the game really shines at 60fps, but the power of the Wii U being what it is, such a sacrifice is unavoidable.

The game is certainly fun, and while the no-longer-Bowser's-kids Koopalings make their first appearance in the franchise, inclusions like Pink Gold Peach will leave hard-core fans scratching their heads. Overall, though, the inclusion of the upside down mechanic is shallow at best, and the rehashed gliding and underwater mechanics from Mario Kart 7 remain as dull and gimmicky as ever. It's really just more of the same.

Speaking of features I didn't like about Mario Kart 7, the coins to unlock Kart (& now Bikes - because bikes were brought back for some reason) parts is back. I hate this mechanic - just let me use all the games features from the first time I play. It's a completely old-fashioned design element on the Japanese developers part, cynically included to keep players playing well beyond where they might otherwise have stopped.

The tracks themselves are bright and colorful, like you'd expect from a Nintendo game. It will certainly appeal to young audiences and families. There are lots of hidden details throughout the tracks that the hardest of the hardcore Nitnendo fans (those who are left, anyway) will be delighted by. The remade tracks look practically unrecognizable and brought up many happy memories of my times playing Mario Kart 64 as a child. Although, it did feel a little as though Nintendo were trying to take advantage of my nostalgia for the older games.

Mario Kart TV is a nice addition, but feels limited in some ways. Youtube uploading is nice, but opens up questions about why it's not a system-wide feature. The game does not support voice chat, well, not during races, anyway, which is also disappointing for a major game in 2014.

The orchestrated music is a nice touch and I found myself bobbing my head to some tracks while racing through as Baby Daisy. Rainbow Road 64's remix is a particular highlight.

Overall, the biggest disappointment is the Game Pad. It is completely unused in any meaningful way in this title and I can't help but feel that a redesign of the Wii U is coming any moment without a Game Pad included.

Mario Kart 8 is a fun retread through the Mario universe that, while not justifying the Game Pad, is a welcome addition to the starved gamers who already own a Wii U at home. For the rest of us, though, it's probably best to have a look at some gameplay before deciding whether or not this game is really worth it for you to take the plunge and purchase a Wii U console.

6/10

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Wow, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for thread material

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@lostrib said:

Wow, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for thread material

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

Uh Oh

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

They mention the shallow upside down mechanic (doesn't change a thing).
The graphics don't matter because colours are for kids.
Let's not mention the cart customizability.
Unlocks? We have achievements for that. Everybody wants achievements now.
Streaming stuff to youtube? Who cares when it's a Nintendo game. It should be a system wide thing so let's pretend it is not there.
Then we can say they did nothing.
We'll just leave the new powerups out too, just in case.
And mention what it does not do: use the gamepad in a quirky way. Let's subtract some points for that.
Annnd done!

Let's get real for a moment. The first reviews out there never play the game they review.

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#6  Edited By CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts

"I found myself bobbing my head to some tracks while racing through as Baby Daisy."

LOL

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By nintendoboy16  Online
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

Yeah... nice bait there.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

"Mario Kart 8's other important new addition is the GamePad itself, which the player holds out in front of themselves like a big, square steering wheel. The touchscreen doesn't add much to the driving experience, but the device's suite of motion sensors are surprisingly adept at accurately translating slight variations in rotation to the in-game world. In fact, my lap times were better while using the GamePad's motion controls than while using traditional controls or a Wiimote."

That is what I wanted out of the gamepad. Maybe a horn for honking added to the screen. Or maybe the map but that does not sound Super useful mid-race?
Steering with the wiimote was great and the gamepad has a way better shape for it. The review made it sound like you wouldn't even be able to steer using its motion sensors.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

This is why metacritic sucks, cause of reviews like these.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Another excellent thread with valid sources from OP. He never fails to disappoint.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

What do you have against Pittsburgh?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

critics from newspapers don't tend to just review games, they do movies, restaurant, music, plays, etc, and they're worse for their holier than thou attitude

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

OP was an extra in the movie Cool Runnings, I think that's pretty cool.

D4RKL1NG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By D4RKL1NG
Member since 2012 • 290 Posts

Got Tom Mc8 on Gamespot

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/mario-kart-8/1900-6415760/

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

Anyone can pick the worst review for a game and post it mate, nothing new theres good and bad reviews for almost any game.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

LOL ignoring the rave reviews MK8 is getting, just as lems ignored the rave reviews Infamous got.

The Xbone continues to have no games.

D4RKL1NG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 D4RKL1NG
Member since 2012 • 290 Posts
@GrenadeLauncher said:

LOL ignoring the rave reviews MK8 is getting, just as lems ignored the rave reviews Infamous got.

Yeah that's exactly why they're always bashing upcoming/released PS4 & WiiU games. They have no games themselves to hype.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Nobody mentioned the Xbone here....until you.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@D4RKL1NG said:
@GrenadeLauncher said:

Yeah that's exactly why they're always bashing upcoming/released PS4 & WiiU games. They have no games themselves to hype.

Hit the nail on the head. PS4 just got Infamous Second Son and MLB 14 The Show as well as superior versions of every multiplat. Wiiu is getting Mario Kart 8. Xbone got Kinect Sports Rivals LOL

Still waiting to see all these games lems claim the bone has.