Manhunt 2 (Update!!! Nintendo supporting the violent game)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/762/762682p1.html

Februrary 8 - It's been less than 24 hours since Rockstar announced Manhunt 2 and already the publisher is on the defensive, hoping to head off any criticisms aimed at the controversial psycho stalk-'em-up's sequel by claiming "it is clearly a game aimed at an adult audience".

In an interview with UK trade Magazine MCV, a Rockstar spokesman said, "We believe Manhunt 2 is a great entertainment experience for fans of psychological thrillers and urban horror." As such not everyone will find the game's content appropriate, with Rockstar admitting, "It's a chilling and compelling drama and is only appropriate for people who are old enough to play it."

Elsewhere in the interview Rockstar likened stories in modern videogames to other mediums, stating that they're "as diverse as the stories in books, film and television."

With a tabloid backlash almost certainly on the cards, Rockstar singled out would-be critics by saying, "We respect those who have different opinions about the horror genre and video games as a whole, but we hope they will also consider the opinions of gamers. Rockstar submits every game to the appropriate bodies for rating and forbidden

UPDATE***

February 12, 2007 - Nintendo has called for parents and retailers to be aware of age ratings when buying or selling mature-rated games. The advice came in reponse to the announcement that Manhunt 2, the sequel to the controversial stalk-'em-up, would be released on Wii.

Although it may seem like the uber-violent game goes against Nintendo's family-friendly image, a UK spokesperson for the company today backed Rockstar's decision to release the title on Wii but said parents still need to ensure children aren't exposed to adult-orientated products.

He said: "All games for the Nintendo platforms are rated by the responsible authorities to ensure that minors are not exposed to games that are unsuitable for their particular age group and we want to emphasise the need for all users, especially parents and retailers, to be aware of the appropriate age rating before selling or buying a game."

He went on to say parents concerned about children gaining access to inappropriate games should "utilise the PIN-operated Parental Control features built into Wii".

Last week Rockstar attempted to avert any potential criticism of Manhunt 2 by saying it's "clearly a game aimed at an adult audience and we anticipate that it will receive an 18+ rating".

--------

At least Rockstar announced it as a 18 yrs+ game for me to buy, too bad the kiddies can't play it!!! Lets see how Jack sees this announcement from Rockstar especially the Wii Version

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Being that the game is a PS2 and PSP Port, it will take more critism on the PS2, since it will obviously outsell the other versions.

Weslii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Weslii
Member since 2007 • 2309 Posts
It's fun how most of the "teh kiddy" claimers aren't even 18 years :)
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FireEmblem_Man

Being that the game is a PS2 and PSP Port, it will take more critism on the PS2, since it will obviously outsell the other versions.

SolidTy

I don't think it is a port because a different Rockstar are working on the Wii version in which it is the same team that made the Warriors while the PS2 and PSP version are being made in London. Plus the Wii's motion sensing controls will be more advertise on different ways of killing with gestures. Don't tell me the PS2 version would be more controversial than the Wii just for a bigger fanbase!?!?!

pins_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pins_basic
Member since 2003 • 11521 Posts
Wow, why are you sheep so excited over this game? Last I heard, the sheep thought the original was a big pile of casual trash.:| Now it's teh awsome because it's teh mature? WTF?
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FireEmblem_Man

Wow, why are you sheep so excited over this game? Last I heard, the sheep thought the original was a big pile of casual trash.:| Now it's teh awsome because it's teh mature? WTF?pins_basic

I'm not even hyping this game!!! Read the first post please, its about Rockstar concern in order not to get attack from Jacky boy ever again.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I want to know who was the first to think that M-rated games were for children... :|
hyruledweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hyruledweller
Member since 2006 • 3168 Posts
Looks good, if its violent and sick enough, i will get it for kicks. Plus, it will better use the wiimote for smacking and stuff.
Gamingcucumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Gamingcucumber
Member since 2004 • 5612 Posts

Wow, why are you sheep so excited over this game? Last I heard, the sheep thought the original was a big pile of casual trash.:| Now it's teh awsome because it's teh mature? WTF?pins_basic

Your post makes no sense what so ever. No one said that Manhunt 2 was going to be teh awesome because it is teh mature.

And please come up with a new way to "make fun" of fanboys. "Teh" is getting really old or maybe you just don't know how to spell the?

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
    They are making a sequal! That is amazing. I loved the first one. It was so very over the top, and the stealth was actually done very very well. Excellent.
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FireEmblem_Man

I want to know who was the first to think that M-rated games were for children... :|
foxhound_fox

Jack Thompson of course!!! Why else he's been saying that Rockstar is poisoning kids mind with games like GTA??? And blame the ESRB for not enforcing the rating enough!!!

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SpruceCaboose
    Wait a second. Is this a Wii next gen game only, like no 360/PS3?
Golden_surfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Golden_surfer
Member since 2004 • 5749 Posts
Maybe that's what Nintendo was in conversations with Rockstar and not GTA. Sorry sheep, but this is most likely the truth.
web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
    Wait a second. Is this a Wii next gen game only, like no 360/PS3?SpruceCaboose
Yes. On Wii and PS2
Warfust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#15 Warfust
Member since 2005 • 3046 Posts
Wii is only for kids! This must be a mistake....

/sarcasm off
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FireEmblem_Man
Its New-Gen and it seems that Rockstar wants to make Manhunt more interactive with killing gestures
111v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 111v
Member since 2005 • 1007 Posts
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]    Wait a second. Is this a Wii next gen game only, like no 360/PS3?web966
Yes. On Wii and PS2

and psp.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidTy

There is no NEXT GEN Wii, that doesn't exist. It's called a New Gen for a reason.

Also, it's coming to the PS2 and PSP.

The PS3 and 360 have far better graphical capabilities, if they don't get an enhanced port, they may get Manhunt 3.

Luckily, PS3 owners can play Manhunt 2 in 480p on there PS3.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] Wait a second. Is this a Wii next gen game only, like no 360/PS3?FireEmblem_Man
Its New-Gen and it seems that Rockstar wants to make Manhunt more interactive with killing gestures

Dang. Well, at least I'll have one more game to get on the Wii. I am very skeptical about how this will control, but I liked Manhunt, and I am getting used to the Wii/Nunchuk combo.
    Heres to hoping its fun, violent, and Jack Thompson doesn't do anything stupid.
hyruledweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hyruledweller
Member since 2006 • 3168 Posts

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]    Wait a second. Is this a Wii next gen game only, like no 360/PS3?SolidTy

There is no NEXT GEN Wii, that doesn't exist. It's called a New Gen for a reason.

The PS3 and 360 have far better graphical capabilities, if they don't get an enhanced port, they may get Manhunt 3.

It dosent matter, wii is part of this gen, so its the only console this gen to get MH2.
ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] Wait a second. Is this a Wii next gen game only, like no 360/PS3?SolidTy

And Wii owners can play Manhunt 2 in 480p on the Wii, aswell, what's your point?
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SolidTy
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] Wait a second. Is this a Wii next gen game only, like no 360/PS3?ithilgore2006

And Wii owners can play Manhunt 2 in 480p on the Wii, aswell, what's your point?

My point was that 360 owners, cannot.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidTy
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]    Wait a second. Is this a Wii next gen game only, like no 360/PS3?hyruledweller

It dosent matter, wii is part of this gen, so its the only console this gen to get MH2.

Good for them, it may have horrible graphics, but that controller will be fun!

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
Hey people stop the "new gen" non sense. Phylosophically, it may have a meaning, but technically, the Wii is next gen... And no one started discussing wheter the Wii is next gen or not.
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FireEmblem_Man
[QUOTE="hyruledweller"][QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]    Wait a second. Is this a Wii next gen game only, like no 360/PS3?SolidTy

Exactly, however, more people moving into next gen slower but showing off Manhunt 2 on the Wii will impress the older audience on its controlling. But then we will probrably not see any Manhunt commercial until late at night since the game is aimed at adults for the Wii, PS2, and PSP!!! However, I don't know how would you get a copy if stores don't display AO-rated games

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wavebrid
Member since 2006 • 8204 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidTy"][QUOTE="hyruledweller"][QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]    Wait a second. Is this a Wii next gen game only, like no 360/PS3?FireEmblem_Man

Exactly, however, more people moving into next gen slower but showing off Manhunt 2 on the Wii will impress the older audience on its controlling. But then we will probrably not see any Manhunt commercial until late at night since the game is aimed at adults for the Wii, PS2, and PSP!!! However, I don't know how would you get a copy if stores don't display AO-rated games

target sales ao

but i think it be M 18+

Thul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Thul
Member since 2007 • 381 Posts

SolidTy

I would say Multiplatform instead of port. (neither version has been released).
redneckdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 redneckdouglas
Member since 2005 • 2977 Posts

They finally got a game that have super-duper violence. But less than they know, it's a quick PS2-port for $$$.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FireEmblem_Man

[QUOTE="pins_basic"]Wow, why are you sheep so excited over this game? Last I heard, the sheep thought the original was a big pile of casual trash.:| Now it's teh awsome because it's teh mature? WTF?redneckdouglas

They finally got a game that have super-duper violence. But less than they know, it's a quick PS2-port for $$$.

It can't be a quick port if two different studios are working different on both versions :|

NeoStar9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NeoStar9
Member since 2003 • 1761 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

FireEmblem_Man

I don't think it is a port because a different Rockstar are working on the Wii version in which it is the same team that made the Warriors while the PS2 and PSP version are being made in London. Plus the Wii's motion sensing controls will be more advertise on different ways of killing with gestures. Don't tell me the PS2 version would be more controversial than the Wii just for a bigger fanbase!?!?!

Exactly. This port nonsense needs to stop now. Rockstar was very clear that differnet studios are making the different versions. One studio along with help from Rockstar North are making the PS2 and PSP versions. The London studio is new. Meanwhile another one, the one that made the Warriors game is making the Wii version. Different studios, different locations, at the same time. That can not even be considered a port.
Flexmaster_365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Flexmaster_365
Member since 2006 • 1650 Posts
Finnaly an AO game, for teh mature. ;)
Zerostatic0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 Zerostatic0
Member since 2005 • 4263 Posts
I have a feeling this game is going to sell very, very well. I also think it'll be better then the first one (which is under-rated anyways). Rockstar knows they might have a big hit in this.
lonsy02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lonsy02
Member since 2005 • 731 Posts
YES IM 18 :)
DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DireToad
Member since 2006 • 3948 Posts
Mark my words.

It won't be AO.
wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 wavebrid

Mark my words.

It won't be AO.DireToad

im sure the makers of the game knows what its going to get :|

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wavebrid
[QUOTE="hyruledweller"][QUOTE="SolidTy"]

\

grapchis can be better than xbox :| dont be like that

DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DireToad
Member since 2006 • 3948 Posts

[QUOTE="DireToad"]Mark my words.

It won't be AO.wavebrid

AO ratings are given to products with strong sexual content, which I don't think is the case with Manhunt.

And even if it turns out to be an AO caliber game, there's going too much pressure on them to change it to a M rating.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

At least Rockstar announced it as a 18 yrs+ game for me to buy, too bad the kiddies can't play it!!! Lets see how Jack sees this announcement from Rockstar especially the Wii Version

FireEmblem_Man
kiddies can't play? yes they can anybody can play any game... the numbers on them don't mean anything.
kauliaris711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kauliaris711
Member since 2006 • 161 Posts
It's fun how most of the "teh kiddy" claimers aren't even 18 years :) Weslii

they want to be cool kids,and as cool kids they mustn't play kiddy games,their friends will be laughing at them,and that's why most of them want sth like the ps3,they want to show to their friends that they have the most expensive and the most cool machine evar created....also i think that manhunt will be a nice adition onto the non-kiddy wii library...i'm waiting forward to see some more details about the game...also i think that The Godfather:Blackhand Edition will be great too,did u see the latest on the spot???
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FireEmblem_Man
[QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"]

gameofthering

kiddies can't play? yes they can anybody can play any game... the numbers on them don't mean anything.

Well, if it gets an AO rating then you can't find it on Toys R Us nor Best Buy or even Walmart to keep their hands off of violent games.

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wavebrid
[QUOTE="wavebrid"]

It won't be AO.DireToad

AO ratings are given to products with strong sexual content, which I don't think is the case with Manhunt.

And even if it turns out to be an AO caliber game, there's going too much pressure on them to change it to a M rating.

Ao game depands on the game not the sexual contenet

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts
[QUOTE="DireToad"][QUOTE="wavebrid"]

It won't be AO.wavebrid

But so far ESRB have only gave AO rating for sexual content.
wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wavebrid
[QUOTE="wavebrid"][QUOTE="DireToad"][QUOTE="wavebrid"]

It won't be AO.loco145

that dosent meant it cant happen.   i really think it be like Conker

but will find out

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FireEmblem_Man

New update now!!!

Yes, Nintendo is supporting Rockstar's decision in the game and yet telling parents to be aware about the settings. And at the same time, will be telling parents about the Parental Controls in the wii!!!

I'll say it again, Manhunt 2 is for Adults and only for Adults!!! And it could be an AO rating, it not, then M is fine

caje47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 caje47
Member since 2005 • 2298 Posts
[QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] Wait a second. Is this a Wii next gen game only, like no 360/PS3?SpruceCaboose

Dang. Well, at least I'll have one more game to get on the Wii. I am very skeptical about how this will control, but I liked Manhunt, and I am getting used to the Wii/Nunchuk combo.

Good luck with that :lol:
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FireEmblem_Man

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] Wait a second. Is this a Wii next gen game only, like no 360/PS3?caje47

Good luck with that :lol:

What is that supposed to mean??? :?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FireEmblem_Man
[QUOTE="loco145"][QUOTE="wavebrid"][QUOTE="DireToad"][QUOTE="wavebrid"]

It won't be AO.wavebrid

that dosent meant it cant happen.   i really think it be like Conker

but will find out

Hopefully by GDC or later in summer