Long running "milked" franchises you're a sucker for

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41535 Posts

Let's be honest, for as much as we call out the likes of CoD, AC, Battlefield, Mario, Pokemon, etc, for milking, you can't tell me no one on this forum doesn't buy from these franchises.

So, what are you a sucker for? For me, it's (and I'm counting out Nintendo franchises, because even if I don't play all of them, it's still be too obvious):

-LEGO series (no lie, I'm anticipating the new ones for Jurassic World and Marvel's Avengers and have quite a collection of TT's LEGO games, I still have LEGO City on my pick up list for when I get a Wii U)

-Guitar Hero series (Activision may have been the worst offender on oversaturating the music genre, but to be fair, Harmonix doesn't deserve a pass either with Rock Band, but I still couldn't help but enjoy the Guitar Hero games I got, mostly GHIII and Metallica)

-Naruto: Clash of Ninja series (I used to be quite the Naruto fan, albeit no where near as much as I am Dragon Ball or Zatch Bell! until the series went and lost it, having Fullmetal Alchemist take it's place, but I'm still more than happy to play some of the games, the Clash of Ninja series especially, too bad that CoNR3 was the last one released for Nintendo consoles in the US and Europe and to further, Tomy never released the last two on the GameCube in western shores either)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Final Fantasy.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I'm a sucker for Assassin's Creed.

On the other hand I haven't bought a CoD game for years

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14496 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Final Fantasy.

Excuse me, sir: you've appropriated my post.

*also, looks at avie

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I only buy what I think I will enjoy and it's a case-by-case basis. Brand loyalty is creepy.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Forza, Batman, Fallout, Mass Effect, NBA 2K, Uncharted, Zelda, Halo, Soul Calibur and any decent Star Wars game.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

halo and battlefield

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy... any of these are announced I'm counting the days. I feel almost disloyal to Bethesda but Skyrim was just SO bland and by the numbers I knew my love affair with Elder Scrolls was over forever.

I used to love Resident Evil but they are now absolutely determined to make every new game worse than not just the last one but every game ever released and to be fair to them, they succeed every time.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'm not sure it's "milked" but I've bought every main Metroid game since Super Metroid (Pinball and Hunters not included).

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

Pokemon main series and Final fantasy come to mind. Fire emblem is up there too.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

who wants to read more pointless list threads?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

anything by nintendo...

as for the others....ummm...god of war,gran turismo, call of duty, battlefield, halo, resident evil, street fighter

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@notorious1234na said:

who wants to read more pointless list threads?

You, obviously, or you wouldn't be here.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14  Edited By yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Ass Creed. I can't say no even when I tell myself no. I bought Unity and never played it, but I did resist the urge to buy Rogue. So I'm making progress?

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I was into ass ass ins creed and own every one up to Black Flag. It wasnt until the recent crap, unfinished games which still dont really work right after 8 patches that I stopped buying Ubisoft games all together.

Other than that I buy every game Bohemia Interactive releases, the Arma series is one of my favorite game series of all time and if me buying all of their games helps them to produce more Arma then I am happy to contribute. Take on Mars is also coming along really well too since they added coop.

Ill also buy anything valve puts out for the same reason.

On a side note: Iv been doing a play through of all the Jedi Knight/Dark Forces games recently and I have just started Jedi Academy. Playing these games again makes me realise how spoiled we where as gamers during those times and both the Jedi Knight games (especially Jedi Academy) have aged really well. I would be very happy to hear of a new addition to the Jedi Knight franchise by the same Raven Software team that did the last two.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

I only buy what I think I will enjoy and it's a case-by-case basis. Brand loyalty is creepy.

This is the case for me as well. I have no qualms with abandoning a franchise that doesn't deliver on what I want.

-

I was a fan of Ninja Gaiden from the original NES title up through (the modern) Ninja Gaiden 2. Series is now dead to me.

My first Final Fantasy game was FFIV. I played all the main entries since then and for a long time it was my favorite franchise. Then we got FFXIII. I won't be buying any more of their games until they get it together. If FFXV turns out great, I'll be on board. If not, oh well.

I was a Metal Gear Solid fanatic from the first MGS up through MGS3. Then we got the stinker that was Portable Ops. I forgave that for being a handheld title that wasn't even Kojima directed... but then we got MGS4. Once again, series was dead to me. I didn't even care when MGSV was announced. My interest wasn't even sparked until we started seeing legit footage of MGSV in action. Then Ground Zeroes got me back on board.

Even Mario. I was a fan from the start. Then SM64 made my interest in the franchise take a nose dive. Then Sunshine killed it. Again, Mario platformers were dead to me. Then SMG got things back on track.

-

Countless other examples as well, Resident Evil, Castlevania, Metroid, Mortal Kombat with its ups and downs, etc..

I won't pick up a game based on name alone.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#17 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

I'm a sucker for Assassin's Creed.

Me too. Although I think I may finally have gotten burned out on it. I blew through Rogue in a couple days then traded it in and got most of my money back at WalMart. I enjoyed it, but it felt a little stale to me. I haven't played Unity since it sucks on the PC and I don't have a current gen console yet, maybe the Victorian London one will be good.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

So I guess you don't have any favorite actors, restaurants, musicians, clothing brand, etc

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#19 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

Assassin's Creed and, back then, Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Still need to get Rogue and a PS4 for Unity and future games. Also it seems Harmonix is making a new Rock Band game and I'm hoping it comes to the Wii U.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3227 Posts

To be honest I don't buy any game series that have been milked too many times but the closest for me would be Mario platformers but I don't run out and buy them right away. I wait few years to buy them later.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

I used to like AC a lot. Then AC3 happened. Haven't played since.

So Pokemon is only answer. I don't consider main Zelda or Mario series "milking" to be honest.

I also love Total War, and that series, if you include expansion packs, is almost annual as well. But I haven't bought Rome II yet.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

yakuza!

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Zelda games on consoles.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Assasin's Creed, but I usually take breaks every year, so I play one every other year.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#25 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Does pre-343 Halo count?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I am more a sucker for select developers than I am any brand or franchise...as I've said numerous times before.

A game from Hideki Kamiya for instance, I'm there day one.

Looking through my collection I do see quite a lot of Marios, Zeldas, Street Fighters, Metal Gears, Final Fantasys, Metroids, Megamans, God of Wars, Gears of Wars, Resident Evils, Devil May Crys, Halos, Marvel Capcom games, and Castlevanias.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@commonfate said:

@Aljosa23 said:

So I guess you don't have any favorite actors, restaurants, musicians, clothing brand, etc

Not really the same. I have favourite things but nothing I'll buy/experience/listen out of blind loyalty.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Far Cry would be the closest to me. I have Far Cry in a secondary PC. I still play Far Cry 3 and 4 on both my desktop gaming PC and my gaming laptop.

I'm thinking of buying Far Cry 2 to complete the series.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

Saints Row. I really like the first female voice actress, she sounds a lot like the lady who did Femshep. I freaking adore the franchise. It is silly and crazy and embraces it. It makes me laugh and the game play keeps getting better and better. The flying in Gatt out of hell is just amazing. I know there are tons of extremely fair criticisms of the game, but most of them are things I like.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#30 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Pokemanz

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#31 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

I was a sucker for guitar hero
Currently a sucker for Call of Duty (for the campaign) and Asssassin's Creed

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#32 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

I love my Resident Evil and Call of Duty, can't get enough.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I would have to say Naruto and DBZ.

Tho I've been pretty good at keeping myself in check because I didnt buy any of the shitty DBZ games that came out last gen and I knew which Naruto games were just quick cash-ins to stay away from.

The reason I still say Im a sucker for those games is beacus every time one is announced Im highly interested and have high hopes for it, but 9/10 they turn out to be toilet dumbs so I dont buy them.

The new DBZ game looks good, not that good, but a combo break from the long line of horrible DBZ games in the last 8-9 years.

im hyped for the new Naruto, but I know that Ill be disappointed in the gameplay/fighting mechanics just like I was for Storm 1,2, and 3

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Heres some off the top of my head

Resident evil,battlefield,final fantasy, certain anime games mainly naruto and dbz,Mortal kombat and proboly more but cant remember at this moment.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Musou

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Love me some "Tales of" games, even bought a ps3 recently specifically for that series. Gonna buy Zestiria when it gets localized despite all the furor in Japan about it sucking. Sure as hell won't be paying $4 a piece for costumes, though.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nengo_Flow

@nintendoboy16 said:

-Naruto: Clash of Ninja series

Clash of Ninjas was the shittiest Naruto Franchise, right there with those two crappy 360 Naruto games from Ubisoft.

The look and graphics were terrible and did not capture the look and feel or vibe of the anime. The fight was laughable too.

The Ultimate Ninja games on the PS2 were a 100x better and had alot of fun value to them. Too bad that fun value was lost when they transition the Ultimate Ninja series into Ultimate Ninja Storm for 7th gen aesthetics. The storm series is alright... looks great and tells the story well, but the gameplay in the story mode is weak sauce and the fight is annoying because of how limiting and stale it is.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By nintendoboy16

@Nengo_Flow said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Clash of Ninjas was the shittiest Naruto Franchise, right there with those two crappy 360 Naruto games from Ubisoft.

The look and graphics were terrible and did not capture the look and feel or vibe of the anime. The fight was laughable too.

The Ultimate Ninja games on the PS2 were a 100x better and had alot of fun value to them. Too bad that fun value was lost when they transition the Ultimate Ninja series into Ultimate Ninja Storm for 7th gen aesthetics. The storm series is alright... looks great and tells the story well, but the gameplay in the story mode is weak sauce and the fight is annoying because of how limiting and stale it is.

Yeah... no. Ninja Council was 100x worse than CoN series and what Ubisoft threw out (and I'm damn sure the latters is fine, considering Ubi's Naruto games have higher praise than Ultimate Ninja).

And don't act like Ultimate Ninja pre-Storm didn't have any duds (Ultimate Ninja 4... what the hell happened after how awesome UN3 was?)

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Zelda. Its a drug that keeps me high. I've come down for a while during SS, but thats a nightmare to me now.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Nengo_Flow

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Yeah... no. Ninja Council was 100x worse than CoN series and what Ubisoft threw out (and I'm damn sure the latters is fine, considering Ubi's Naruto games have higher praise than Ultimate Ninja).

And don't act like Ultimate Ninja pre-Storm didn't have any duds (Ultimate Ninja 4... what the hell happened after how awesome UN3 was?)

I had to look up Ninja Council I couldnt remember. But thats a GBA game, I referring to main console games GameCube, PS2, 360, PS3, and now PS4 X1.

The point is, Clash of Ninjas felt half baked and really only existed to be a competitor to Ultimate Ninja.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#41 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

Dynasty Warriors. I swear they lace the game boxes with some drug

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Assassins Creed. :(

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nintendoboy16

@Nengo_Flow said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

I had to look up Ninja Council I couldnt remember. But thats a GBA game, I referring to main console games GameCube, PS2, 360, PS3, and now PS4 X1.

The point is, Clash of Ninjas felt half baked and really only existed to be a competitor to Ultimate Ninja.

First off: You do realize CoN came first, right? Granted in the same year, but still.

Naruto: Clash of Ninja's release dates - April 2003 (Japan)

Naruto: Ultimate Ninja's release - September 2003 (Japan)

Second off: Competition? What competition? Competition between ONLY Naruto game fans broken up like the people of Skyrim?

Sylveon128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sylveon128
Member since 2015 • 99 Posts

I don't get why people get upset about milking because every company from books,movies, car, and games. I also see some fans want to use nintendo a lot as milking and they are correct but it is quality milk and other companies have quality milk too and the reason why is because people like it and want more. I find it funny how other fanboy want to tease other fanboys about their company milking their games when in reality all companies milk their fans and that is how business works.

RpgGamer23q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -3

#45 RpgGamer23q
Member since 2006 • 296 Posts

Final Fantasy

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

Mega Man, Street Fighter, and Final Fantasy.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I was a sucker for King of Fighters, but I don't think it's getting milked any more.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

FF, RE, Zelda, Total War, Assassins Creed (only enjoyed AC BF and Unity), Elder Scrolls.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I guess that'd be Halo, even if it isn't that milked compared to Ass Creed, BF or COD.