LOL I love how Steam sales have become so mundane, nobody in SW mentioned Fall sales have started!

• 51 results
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56097 Posts

I mean really, this is interesting. Steam didn't crash with the start of Autumn sales like it normally does, and not a single mention of it here in System Wars once it kicked off. I'll admit, prices aren't spectacular, not sure if I'm gonna get anything or not, (I might get Shadow of the Tomb Raider maybe) It's just really rare to not see someone mention when the Sale is live like now. I admit, they used to be a fun event but now it's just another basic sale like any other platform's sales lol.

(By the way, for those who care, Autumn sale is live)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

I bought Alpha Protocol, Tomb Raider 2 , Thief Gold and unfortunately Rebel Assault 1&2(Which I requested a refund for it).

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69476 Posts

Steam sales has lowered the value of games and increased gamers' expectations of games being overly cheap. Couple this with people buying more games than they can play because of the initial low prices.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34607 Posts

Checked my wishlist which had Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders for 1.2 euro. Been meaning to try that shit, so now I will.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2134 Posts

Steam sales have been crap for years now as they no longer offer the deep discaunt as in pre-refunds era and no more flash sales, so the deals you see on day 1 will be the same all week, plus you can get better prices on humblebunde, fanatical, gamesplanet, etc.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

@rmpumper said:

Steam sales have been crap for years now as they no longer offer the deep discaunt as in pre-refunds era and no more flash sales, so the deals you see on day 1 will be the same all week, plus you can get better prices on humblebunde, fanatical, gamesplanet, etc.

The AAA game prices have skyrocketed for the UK. £29.99/£34.99/£39.99/£44.99/£49.99/£54.99

It's now at a point where 50% off is almost the same price as a full game 4 years ago.

-

Most of the smaller indie type games are still reasonably priced. Especially compared to the god awful Switch shop which is an ongoing mission to the take absolute piss.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

I don't know. Maybe Steam's/Valve's just taking the losses out from the 3rd world countries and getting it from the 1st world ones. I mean, heck, I bought COD:WW2 and COD:IW for like 15 cents. MHW was 10 USD cheaper when it released on steam.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Always puzzled me that PC gamers will happily spend £700 on a graphics card yet get all weird when they have to spend more than a fiver on a game.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17815 Posts

warhammer 2 total war launched on linux this week (thanks sega, TCA and feral). as a result i have bough all the DLC for warhammer 1, warhammer 2 and all the DLC for that also. thats a lot of gaming to be getting on with i tells ya.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

Humble Bundle subscription service and sales killed Steam sales for me. It's just so much better in every way. I get 10% discount on all games on Humble Bundle to the additional deals, so many games i buy with 72-90% during Humble Bundle sales. After Humble Bundle sales, i am supplied with games for a whole year.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup

@boycie said:

Always puzzled me that PC gamers will happily spend £700 on a graphics card yet get all weird when they have to spend more than a fiver on a game.

Alot of them are brought up on a pirate culture, pretty obvious answer.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

For me, my backlog is just enormous. These days, I also always buy GoG if I can. So Steam sales don't have a special urgency for me

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@boycie said:

I was as well, but now I buy most of my games full price, some from sales.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 uninspiredcup

@Epak_ said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@boycie said:

Ditto.

Not really a free pass for price gouging either.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56097 Posts

@ivangrozny said:

Humble Bundle subscription service and sales killed Steam sales for me. It's just so much better in every way. I get 10% discount on all games on Humble Bundle to the additional deals, so many games i buy with 72-90% during Humble Bundle sales. After Humble Bundle sales, i am supplied with games for a whole year.

Humble Bundle is totally so good, but at the same time, buy too much and you'll have a huge Collection of Games that you'll never go hungry again. I imagine in the next few years, Humble Bundle will force Valve to revamp Steam back into it's glory days. I'm also a EA Origin Premier and that alone I can download the games I find interesting that too will keep me busy, I'm playing BFV on it.

@xantufrog said:

For me, my backlog is just enormous. These days, I also always buy GoG if I can. So Steam sales don't have a special urgency for me

Well yeah, if you get carried away buying games over the years, you'll never have to wait for a sale on the games you already owned.

@Epak_ said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@boycie said:

And the new release games goes on sale so fast, no need to go Pirate Bay at all. I'm against Piracy, so I don't do it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

There used to be two big sales on steam (winter and summer) now there are several smaller ones.

Plus, thanks to competition there are a lot of sites and stores that offer better prices than Steam, so I shop around.

As a big extra point I'd like to mention that several of the BIG games of this year aren't even steam:

Forza Horizon 4, Battlefield V, Call of Duty Blops IIII, Fallout 76, ...

Is steam losing ... steam ?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#17 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

SW is mundane

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

Steam was a trendsetter. They recognized that most games are massively overpriced. Everyone else has followed suit and started having regular sales with deep discounts. It has even spread to the consoles. Steam sales no longer seem special because everyone is doing something similar.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

Hi Davillain, some of the recent AAA titles seem a little expensive, but there are still a few good deals.

I'm thinking of picking up Bayonetta and Deus Ex Mankind Divided. Both are very reasonably priced.

And after reading through some the the Mankind Divided reviews it seems that it's a bit underrated. If I play the side missions and avoid the micro's it sounds like a fun game - and the story seems more relevant than ever too!

kenshiro3948

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kenshiro3948
Member since 2018 • 406 Posts

I picked up Assassins Creed Odyssey. Cool game so far.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#21 madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Waiting for Winter Sale. Trading cards.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Nothing worth buying. Feels same all the time.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

Bc most of the good deals are on shit indies most don’t care about.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

I mean I bought all of the games I ever wanted for PC years ago.

What's left besides inferior console ports?

It's not like I would even want to play any of the new stuff on PC since the mp lobbies are always either full on ghost towns or the equivalent of 17th century Caribbean, full of pirates, cheating vagabonds and generally unwanted people.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

they finally switched to AUD...& most price seems to have skyrocketed to EB Games/Gamestop price $85-$90+AUD..lol..sales still looked to be okay..but at normal price for some games..its a No! :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 R4gn4r0k
@bigfootpart2 said:

Steam was a trendsetter. They recognized that most games are massively overpriced. Everyone else has followed suit and started having regular sales with deep discounts. It has even spread to the consoles. Steam sales no longer seem special because everyone is doing something similar.

Yeah let's not forget that sales on consoles were a rare thing before.

If you wanted a cheap game, buying second hand was your only option.

RonThallsBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RonThallsBalls
Member since 2016 • 348 Posts

Nobody mentioned the sale ‘cause no InXile games are included.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45105 Posts

I think it's because steam discounts aren't as great as they used to be. You can actually get better discounts somewhere else now.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 R4gn4r0k
@uninspiredcup said:

The AAA game prices have skyrocketed for the UK. £29.99/£34.99/£39.99/£44.99/£49.99/£54.99

It's now at a point where 50% off is almost the same price as a full game 4 years ago.

-

Most of the smaller indie type games are still reasonably priced. Especially compared to the god awful Switch shop which is an ongoing mission to the take absolute piss.

Nintendo games = overpriced. You buy a Nintendo console, you know what you are getting into.

Donkey Kong Country on Wii U : 39.99 euro.

5 years later, a straight port for DKC on Switch: 59.99 euro.

lolwut ? No thanks.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NoodleFighter  Online
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

Yeah I got Dragon Ball FighterZ Season pass on sale on HumbleBundle while it is still full priced on Steam. I got a Humble Bundle monthly subscription so I get some extra discounts and wallet credit so I can save even more money. Not only Humble Bundle but GOG are starting to give out free games and decent deals more often. It was because of them that I got Shadow Warrior 2 for free which had been sitting in my wishlist on Steam for a while but the game never dropped to a cheap enough price for me.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

I've been having a look, but there's nothing that I really want ATM. I've bought all the recent games that i;ve wanted to play.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

The simply problem is, most of the modern games don't have INSANE discounts anymore, just like British Black Friday .. a sham.

CD Key websites never reverse their prices... so why buy through steam

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By uninspiredcup

@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

-

Nintendo games = overpriced. You buy a Nintendo console, you know what you are getting into.

Donkey Kong Country on Wii U : 39.99 euro.

5 years later, a straight port for DKC on Switch: 59.99 euro.

lolwut ? No thanks.

Not really just first party, third party tries to take the piddly piss as well, notably Bethesda selling Skyrim like it was released yesterday.

-----

Steam has alot of good deals if you're not some goon hyping what the 1984 media tell you.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/428550?snr=2_9_100000__apphubheader

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I know I spent over $100 for myself in the Steam sale. All Final Fantasys games where 50% off so I bought two and divinity original sin was 75% off. I got civilization V for $7 bucks, and defence grid for $5, and a steam link/controller combo for $35 bucks to go with my black friday TV for the bedroom. The deals where great IMO.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Large backlogs and flash sales disappearing killed it.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts
@boycie said:

Because there is more competition on PC then on consoles for your money.

MMO's gives you 1000's of hours of gameplay for almost nothing these days, like 50 bucks every 2 years for a expansion.

Path of exile / dota / black desert online / smite / league of legends / counter strike etc etc.

Games also have modding which result in massive amounts of additional content that one game will feed you. There is competitive gaming on PC. even a game like age of empire 2 is still played heavily competitive and its old as hell.

Ragnarok online / tree of savior etc etc. All games that you spend 1000's of hours on for barely nothing.

Then add with it that most single player games are incomplete.

Buying a tripple a game for 60 bucks at launch, then buy all the dlc for 20 bucks each with it = 100 bucks for a game to play it as first. yet a year later you will find the whole bundle with everything in it for 20 bucks and already 2 months later you will see 30-40% discounts.

Deep discounts on games becoming faster and faster a thing.

Most console eccentric games like uncharted for example just don't offer much content wise and value wise as a result, same goes for tomb raider. How long do you really play the game until you ditch it and move on? same goes for god of war. They just don't have the content to keep on playing for a 1000 hour. And there value is also a lot lower because of that.

Add with it lots and lots of console centric games are heavily based around cutscenes, carrying the player through the game and forget the gameplay aspect as result unlike these games which feature gameplay for the start to the end of your gameplay session and keep being interesting for years on end.

Dota

League of legends

Fortnite

World of warcraft

Path of exile

Lost ark online

Black desert online

Smite

Ragnarok online

I can keep this list going on for a while

Is all about booting up the game and have pure gameplay from the start to the end with minimal to absolute non existent cut scenes handhelding type of gameplay.

I recently tried to play tomb raider and frankly, press x to not fall down on the snowy hill, to move into the next scripted event of her doing some over the top survive sliding down just makes me yawn to no end. I want to skip it all i want to actually play the game. Because that's why i boot a game up and not a movie.

PC market is different then the market then console market.

While a console user finds 60 bucks for a game of god of war a steal, a PC gamer could not see more value in it then 10 bucks as what is 40 hours of gameplay? nothing.

I personally won't spend more then 20 bucks on a game unless it's a game i like that gives me 1000+ hours of content.

And i am not the only one that thinks like this many PC gamers do.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
@ivangrozny said:

And, Humble Bundle lets you keep the games if you stop your subscription unlike the PS+ and Xbox Live rental services.

I've been subscribed to it for like 2 years now, because it's been such an amazing value.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Other sites like Humble Bundle, GOG and Green Man Gaming have been offering the exact same or even better for the last 4-6 years. Hell even buying new games has been cheaper on other sites for a while with more competitive pre-order discounts or simple discounts post release.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Haha yeah I have most of all the things I want that are on sale...

...Ooooo Kingdom Come: Deliverance is $35.....

Don't mind if I do.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Some of the sales are still good. I just picked up TheHunter: Call of the Wild for 14 bucks on Steam, when it was still 15 on humble bundle. It was also the same price(14) on Fanatical.

And Jurassic World Evolution is the cheapest on Steam right now, even versus key sites.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#41 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

I actually completely forgot about it lol, I'm gonna pick up Sonic Mania.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Pedro said:

Steam sales has lowered the value of games and increased gamers' expectations of games being overly cheap. Couple this with people buying more games than they can play because of the initial low prices.

^This

@boycie said:

I find this funny because its true lol.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@that_old_guy said:

Bc most of the good deals are on shit indies most don’t care about.

So true for the Nintendo eShop as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I am getting Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

The problem is Steam doesn't adjust their prices anymore. They're selling games over a year old at full price, they put a 50% off sale on which makes the price what it should of been to begin with.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts
@PCgameruk said:

The problem is Steam doesn't adjust their prices anymore. They're selling games over a year old at full price, they put a 50% off sale on which makes the price what it should of been to begin with.

Publishers set the prices, not Valve

mumunaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mumunaro
Member since 2015 • 162 Posts

Steam always have a sale going on, thats the thing. And plus all other sites mimicking. So people have become desensitized, its no longer a privilege as right now it has become the standard or an entitlement if you want to be in the game.

The PC gaming scene as someone pointed out is extremely extremely competitive and thats a win for PC gamers.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I never pay attention to Steam sales, I just buy my games from key sites where there are almost always discounts.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

i remember buying MGSV on Steam and then getting it free from Humble Monthly the following month..i was pissed.

That being said; i stopped buying from Steam ever since i subscribed to Humble Monthly.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

@Pedro said:

I think it is the abundance of games available that brought the price down, not necessarily the fact that there are sales.