List of best selling PC games

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: My kids use vastly outdated laptops to play Roblox. So...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#52 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

@Telekill said:

@SolidGame_basic: My kids use vastly outdated laptops to play Roblox. So...

It means your kids are not gamers. They are peasants that can't afford $70 games for just a weekend experience. 😉

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#53 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

No way in hell Doom and Quake only hit 2 mil.

That's gotta be bullshit.

My thoughts exactly.

I understand it's an older game and the market was a little different, but C&C was released at a similar time and sold way more? I don't buy that at all.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

Yeah this list is outdated and inaccurate.

As others have mentioned there are recent games on PC that sold at least a million copies that aren't on the list. Another one for example is GuJian 3. That game was said to have sold 1.3 million copies as of July 2020. Another is The Scroll Of Taiwu which sold 1 million copies on Steam. Some games like Terraria, Counter Strike Global Offensive and PayDay 2 don't appear on the list even though they sold 10s of millions on PC. Overwatch while having no exact numbers on PC sold worldwide they did state that the game sold 10 million in China so that is at least 10 million copies on PC sold.

STALKER Shadow Of Chernobyl is not on the list and the game is said to have sold at least 2 million worldwide. The series in total is said to have sold 5 million so that means at least a million copies of Clear Sky and Call Of Pripyat were sold too.

The sources for some listed are outdated. For example Ark Survival Evolved didn't sell just 1 million copies on PC it sold 4.5 million as of August 2016.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts

Did something happen that made the TC so bu*thurt that he has to run to wikipedia for a failed DC attempt?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#56 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

Did something happen that made the TC so bu*thurt that he has to run to wikipedia for a failed DC attempt?

Sony porting their games to PC is my guess. 😂

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts

@Pedro said:
@pc_rocks said:

Sony porting their games to PC is my guess. 😂

For that he already created a petition and countless threads saying they won't be day one. I was thinking of something very recent but then again he's special so you could be right.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#58  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19546 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@Jag85: Go banned from some stores. But it was because it came with a rubber ninja star could throw at people. Otherwise, donno. Last Ninja 2 was 1990.

Along with IK+ and Yie ar Kung-fu, R-Type etc... easily was the best of the "computer" games. Well deserved when it comes to success.

Though imagine largely forgotten now.

I mean how it still kept its "Ninja" name? UK politicians like Margaret Thatcher were paranoid over ninjas back then and censored ninja media like mad. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles became Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, Ninja Gaiden became Shadow Warriors, etc. Yet Last Ninja still somehow kept "Ninja" in the title?

International Karate+ was one of the first games I ever played! The 3-player mode was so cool, like a distant precursor to Smash Bros. And I loved the music too (though it was heavily based on Ryuichi Sakamoto's "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence").

Loading Video...

A lot of classic computer games of the '80s were just like arcade and console games. There wasn't such a big divide between PC and console games until the '90s. At least not in the UK anyway.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61485 Posts

This thread went well...

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#60 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19546 Posts

As a few others have noted, the numbers on the Wikipedia list are outdated. For example, GTA5 is only listed with a measly 2M sales. Considering how GTA5 sold well over 100M across all platforms, it would be ridiculous to say it sold only 2M on PC.

The problem is that most publishers rarely ever report sales breakdowns on a platform-by-platform basis (besides very few exceptions like Nintendo or Capcom). So that Wikipedia list is forced to use outdated numbers reported years ago, rather than up-to-date numbers.

A better source than Wikipedia for more up-to-date PC sales figures is Steam Spy. It doesn't give exact accurate numbers like the Wikipedia list does, but Steam Spy usually gives a ranged estimate that a game's sales usually falls within. For example, 500K-1M, or 1-5M, or 5-10M, etc. It's not highly accurate by Wikipedia standards, but the ranged Steam Spy estimates are much more recent, making them useful in determining what's currently popular.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 lundy86_4

@Jag85: Yup. GTAV numbers are from 2015, and aren't even official at that.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#62 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

The numbers for some of the games on that list seem a lot less than i thaught they would be. WOW, GTA5, Doom and Quake in particular.

@uninspiredcup said:

@Jag85: Go banned from some stores. But it was because it came with a rubber ninja star could throw at people. Otherwise, donno. Last Ninja 2 was 1990.

Along with IK+ and Yie ar Kung-fu, R-Type etc... easily was the best of the "computer" games. Well deserved when it comes to success.

Though imagine largely forgotten now.

I had that version with the ninja star for Amstrad CPC, it also came with a ninja hood and a map scroll type thing if I remember right. I remember some controversy about the ninja star and some people saying that if it got cold the plastic turns hard making it dangerous n shit.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 lundy86_4

@pelvist said:

The numbers for some of the games on that list seem a lot less than i thaught they would be. WOW, GTA5, Doom and Quake in particular.

It's a non-updated list. TC is a melon.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

I’m kind of surprised this thread is still open or hasn’t been deleted yet. 😅

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Archangel3371: in the TC's defense, it likely caused that master racer (apparently in more sense than one?) to melt down and post a suicide thread, saving us a lot of prolonged pain. Keep 'em coming SolidG 🏋

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

But in all seriousness yeah... the thread has really no current info to fight over