SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45105 Posts

Wow, there you have it Herms, even PC King Linus admits you would have to make tons of compromises to get this to be even close 😄:

This is all bare minimum stuff that would render your PC pretty much outdated as soon as you got it lol. It also doesn't include 4K player, has a fourth of the space, has a cheap controller, cost tons of shipping, no warranty, etc etc

In a moment of console unity, I will give props to Lems for their amazing value console. If only it had true exclusives, I would consider one! So Herms, can you concede that consoles are a better value now?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

These noname aliexpress pc parts are disgusting.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#3 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

A Co-worker and I talked about building PCs the other day, as he was thinking about doing it.

We parted one out and ALL GPU prices are insane, even old or pre-owned ones. So right now isn't the time to build a PC if you are wanting to make a decent budget build for some games and maybe work (We video edit and make animations)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46282 Posts
@Star67 said:

A Co-worker and I talked about building PCs the other day, as he was thinking about doing it.

We parted one out and ALL GPU prices are insane, even old or pre-owned ones. So right now isn't the time to build a PC if you are wanting to make a decent budget build for some games and maybe work (We video edit and make animations)

Yup, very bad time to buy a high end PC currently. Best to wait for all of this to blow over.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R4gn4r0k  Online
@hardwenzen said:

I always saw Linus as professional.

Aliexpress PC parts? Seriously WTF!

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

used 1070, ok buddy...

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44065 Posts

The Pee Salty Seas are extra salty and turbulent this time of year. lol :P

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hardwenzen  Online

When you hear someone say that they're trying to match console specs at X price, and then see them use Aliexpress garbage, you know their attempt failed.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@hardwenzen said:

I suppose he did that as the point of the build was price and buying no name shit off alli was the best option. He's not recommending you go off and buy them.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hardwenzen  Online

@gym_lion said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@hardwenzen said:

I suppose he did that as the point of the build was price and buying no name shit off alli was the best option. He's not recommending you go off and buy them.

I can only imagine how painful it is to play any game with that pink dildo looking controller. Torture.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: proof that it's the console faction perpetuating this "build a PC for the price of a console" game.

It's a bad idea. No self-respecting PC gamer should advocate it except as a curio or if you are building a retro-gaming rig

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Linus set Herms back with this one. He cheated on the price in a few ways and kinda proved Lems and Cows point.

At $400, the digital PS5 is an insane value. And at $500 the Xbox Series X is as well. But this pigeonhole argument of consoles vs PCs at the same price is tiring. This is the only hobby I’ve come across where this is a thing. How many gear heads are out there staning for the $15,000 Chevy Spark?

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gym_Lion

@hardwenzen said:
@gym_lion said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@hardwenzen said:

I can only imagine how painful it is to play any game with that pink dildo looking controller. Torture.

I supposed it would depend on how moist your hands are.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

I'm pretty sure actual herms don't want people to spend the bare minimum on PC. 800 bucks at least, but no more than 1500. But prices now are ridiculous, even for the consoles, so everybody loses right now.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hardwenzen  Online

I wonder how many years will it take for a $400 pc build to beat the ps5 digital. Most likely over 2 years.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidGame_basic
@xantufrog said:

@SolidGame_basic: proof that it's the console faction perpetuating this "build a PC for the price of a console" game.

It's a bad idea. No self-respecting PC gamer should advocate it except as a curio or if you are building a retro-gaming rig

@ghosts4ever said: you can build cheap PC. a budgeted PC and it can still play a next gen game which you bought console that is twice as expensive. on other hand you cant build cheap console to play same game on lower setting.

Lol.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k  Online

@gym_lion said:

Still, the experiment fails on this simple fact:

You buy an Xbox for 500: you are sure you can use the console for at least 5 years, and often 8 years.

You buy cheap no name Chinese PC parts, you won't be able to stretch this for 5 years.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@xantufrog said:

Lems and Cows will fight to the death over TFLOPS and GDDR RAM. But bring up PC and they unite as the budget brigade and strike down anything over $500. I wish Herms wouldn't humor this stuff. I know I catch myself entertaining it from time to time. Now the Sheep have SW figured out. We need to be more like them

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gym_Lion

@R4gn4r0k said:
@gym_lion said:

Still, the experiment fails on this simple fact:

You buy an Xbox for 500: you are sure you can use the console for at least 5 years, and often 8 years.

You buy cheap no name Chinese PC parts, you won't be able to stretch this for 5 years.

I think you're missing the point of the experiment to be honest.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58954 Posts

This mentality of the little console people getting excitable. It's very sad, in all honesty.

As with every generation, regardless of how powerful a console is, the PC will take it over relatively quickly.

Beyond that, most of these "ultimato graphixs" games are shitty cinematic crap.

Can just buy a blu-ray cheaper off Amazon.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@goldenelementxl: me too, it's hard not to bite.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

What is this poor pc people joke that I dont understand? Eww.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SolidGame_basic
@uninspiredcup said:

This mentality of the little console people getting excitable. It's very sad, in all honesty.

As with every generation, regardless of how powerful a console is, the PC will take it over relatively quickly.

Beyond that, most of these "ultimato graphixs" games are shitty cinematic crap.

Can just buy a blu-ray cheaper off Amazon.

How else would you compare it? Of course if you spend more money on higher end hardware, you will get better performance (speaking purely on hardware).

gtx021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gtx021
Member since 2013 • 515 Posts

tons of RTX 2080TI VS XBOX ONE X,PS4 PRO comparisons on youtube

$$$$ VS 399 ONE X,PS4 PRO.

wat this shit is?

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

Who the hell is Linus, and why should I care?

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

LOL @ the insecure consolites. Isn't it the same faction who argues over XSS being $100 difference over/above their plastic toy as ownage citing better value? Bring in value of PC and they lose their minds.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

The PS5 and XSX are 4K consoles for $400-500. A true 4K PC card (3080) is $700 minimum alone. You're looking at needing at least a $2000 PC to compete with these consoles in performance.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

The PS5 and XSX are 4K consoles for $400-500. A true 4K PC card (3080) is $700 minimum alone. You're looking at needing at least a $2000 PC to compete with these consoles in performance.

So if a true 4K GPU is $700, how much are the true 4K consoles and when do they launch?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@jasonofa36 said:

I'm pretty sure actual herms don't want people to spend the bare minimum on PC. 800 bucks at least, but no more than 1500. But prices now are ridiculous, even for the consoles, so everybody loses right now.

I always recommend price entry from $700-$1,000 is a sweet spot and while it is expensive, games will be cheaper to buy down the road and not to mention, no online fees to include. PC is a high-risk rewards and totally worth the risk in a long run and not to mention, you can upgrade whenever you are ready. GPU/CPU is all you need to upgrade for the most parts.

But really, why would anyone want to build a PC matching the price of a console is beyond me. The purpose of building a reasonable PC is to not be limit from consoles. Seriously gamers, stop building unbalanced PC's. Stop being cheap.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31  Edited By PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

Did he also cripple it like a console so it lost all of the content, features, utility and platform benefits of a PC?

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Nope, because yet again, the cost of being able to play games online which is free on PC, is not factored into the console side. Pretty much like every time this topic has come up.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@appariti0n said:

@SolidGame_basic: Nope, because yet again, the cost of being able to play games online which is free on PC, is not factored into the console side. Pretty much like every time this topic has come up.

And you assume everyone does, that is an entirely different matter. To the OP, Linus is a complete clown, pay no attention to him.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 appariti0n

@Random_Matt said:
@appariti0n said:

And you assume everyone does, that is an entirely different matter. To the OP, Linus is a complete clown, pay no attention to him.

Nah, I prefer to take into consideration all factors if one is to actually make a legit comparison.

You can't on one hand simply gloss over the cost of online for consoles for example, yet also gloss over the fact that that not every PC gamer needs to buy all parts from scratch each time.

I've been using the same Case/PSU for well over a decade, my slow storage drive is almost 7 years old. Yet for some reason some consolites love to pretend that online costs aren't a factor, and that every PC user throws his old rig away and buys everything new from scratch each time.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts
@davillain- said:
@jasonofa36 said:

I always recommend price entry from $700-$1,000 is a sweet spot and while it is expensive, games will be cheaper to buy down the road and not to mention, no online fees to include. PC is a high-risk rewards and totally worth the risk in a long run and not to mention, you can upgrade whenever you are ready. GPU/CPU is all you need to upgrade for the most parts.

But really, why would anyone want to build a PC matching the price of a console is beyond me. The purpose of building a reasonable PC is to not be limit from consoles. Seriously gamers, stop building unbalanced PC's. Stop being cheap.

The PS5 and Series X aren't as weak out the gate like the PS4 and Xbox One were so building a PC that can match them for similar price isn't going to happen for at least 2 years. We saw a lot budget build PCs under $600 and even $500 out perform the PS4 and Xbox One last gen including the mid gen upgrades. The CPUs in the consoles were so pathetically weak that you could just buy a prebuilt PC for $400 or less or use one you already got and just put a GTX 750 Ti, GTX 1050 Ti or GTX 1060 in it and get comparable performance throughout most of the generation. If the PS5 and Series X were low end range on release I wouldn't sway people away from making PCs that cost the same or a bit more. A $500 PC would get you a noticeably better experience up until the PS5 and XSX came.

You're gonna have to spend $200-$300 more to get a PC on par or better than them. Spending between $700-$1000 is a good area anyway as you spend just enough to get an experience on PC that is very noticeably better and you won't feel the need to upgrade for quiet some time if you want to play games on max/close to max settings for years to come.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Sadly right now is the worst time to build a PC.

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

That makes no f*cking sense. If the 3080 is a "true" 4K card then there is no way that the consoles are "true" 4K. Just make the games have raytracing and even a 3060 will match or even beat both consoles, and forget about 4K at that point.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SolidGame_basic

@appariti0n said:
@Random_Matt said:
@appariti0n said:

Nah, I prefer to take into consideration all factors if one is to actually make a legit comparison.

You can't on one hand simply gloss over the cost of online for consoles for example, yet also gloss over the fact that that not every PC gamer needs to buy all parts from scratch each time.

I've been using the same Case/PSU for well over a decade, my slow storage drive is almost 7 years old. Yet for some reason some consolites love to pretend that online costs aren't a factor, and that every PC user throws his old rig away and buys everything new from scratch each time.

Yea, but you're cherry picking. I can say that PC games are all digital, which has an added cost to them. I can say that XBL and PS+ go on sale all the time (I can easily find PS+ for $30 a year). Meanwhile the above set up does not include a 4K player which will cost you extra, has a quarter of space, etc etc. Also, there are plenty of people who don't play online, so he's right, it's optional.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Terrible build:

- Chinese motherboard that doesn't even support whats on the box.

-4k resolution nobody will use for budget PC's ever. Waste of performance, money, time and effort. totally pointless 1080p is your target.

- nvme drive 240gb can't even hold the most populaire game which is already bigger then that for PC's, also nvme drive speeds are not used in any PC game at this point. also waste of money

- 1070, which u cannot buy new, will be out of warranty second handed and requires a 500w power supply as minimum pays way to much for it. ( aka second handed parts ).

- so he picks a 400w power supply, what a clown

- single channel ram stick, just terrible.

- goes for a xeon cpu, because 1% uses 8 cores game wise on PC. ( also second handed by the way ). makes total sense for a budget pc. not really.

In short tech youtuber that doesn't understand PC's but makes a living out of it pretending he does.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts

It's always funny when PC Master Race folks try to do build a "console killer" PC and fail miserably.

It's especially funny in the current climate of widespread supply constraints for PC components. 😂

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#40 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@Gatygun said:

Terrible build:

- Chinese motherboard that doesn't even support whats on the box.

-4k resolution nobody will use for budget PC's ever. Waste of performance, money, time and effort. totally pointless 1080p is your target.

- nvme drive 240gb can't even hold the most populaire game which is already bigger then that for PC's, also nvme drive speeds are not used in any PC game at this point. also waste of money

- 1070, which u cannot buy new, will be out of warranty second handed and requires a 500w power supply as minimum pays way to much for it. ( aka second handed parts ).

- so he picks a 400w power supply, what a clown

- single channel ram stick, just terrible.

- goes for a xeon cpu, because 1% uses 8 cores game wise on PC. ( also second handed by the way ). makes total sense for a budget pc. not really.

In short tech youtuber that doesn't understand PC's but makes a living out of it pretending he does.

He doesn't need to he shills to anyone who give him money, usually Intel.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

Yeah, that'll happen when components are sold for profit and consoles are largely sold at varying levels of a loss. It's a razor and blades model of selling hardware.

It's why my 5900X/3080 system cost me around $3500CAD with tax.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:
@davillain- said:
@jasonofa36 said:

The PS5 and Series X aren't as weak out the gate like the PS4 and Xbox One were so building a PC that can match them for similar price isn't going to happen for at least 2 years. We saw a lot budget build PCs under $600 and even $500 out perform the PS4 and Xbox One last gen including the mid gen upgrades. The CPUs in the consoles were so pathetically weak that you could just buy a prebuilt PC for $400 or less or use one you already got and just put a GTX 750 Ti, GTX 1050 Ti or GTX 1060 in it and get comparable performance throughout most of the generation. If the PS5 and Series X were low end range on release I wouldn't sway people away from making PCs that cost the same or a bit more. A $500 PC would get you a noticeably better experience up until the PS5 and XSX came.

You're gonna have to spend $200-$300 more to get a PC on par or better than them. Spending between $700-$1000 is a good area anyway as you spend just enough to get an experience on PC that is very noticeably better and you won't feel the need to upgrade for quiet some time if you want to play games on max/close to max settings for years to come.

Last gen was ridiculously underpowered compared to this gen, thus it was easier to build a lower cost system back then. I shit on consoles, but they have their value. I say that as a herm. But the problem is, I can't make money with consoles as easy as what I do with my PC. I just bought a 3070 and easily paid for it with just a week's worth of work from said GPU, + other things.

That's what's lost on the consoles, the other proportional value a PC gives other than gaming.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 appariti0n

@SolidGame_basic said:
@appariti0n said:
@Random_Matt said:
@appariti0n said:

Yea, but you're cherry picking. I can say that PC games are all digital, which has an added cost to them. I can say that XBL and PS+ go on sale all the time (I can easily find PS+ for $30 a year). Meanwhile the above set up does not include a 4K player which will cost you extra, has a quarter of space, etc etc. Also, there are plenty of people who don't play online, so he's right, it's optional.

What % of people don't play online vs those that do? Doesn't seem like cherry picking to me. The ability to play multiplayer games online kinda seems like a core feature in 2021.

Meanwhile, a blue ray player really isn't, at least not in the PC world. Are you not cherry picking as well by making that out to be something important? Not everyone cares about a blu ray player you know.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11088 Posts

Spending this much on a PC isn't doing anyone any favors. All this bottom of the barrel scraping for a THEORETICAL equivalent build to a console. I mean, if this is all you have access to, I understand. But you want a machine that has SOME future-proofed components, and they're gonna cost a little more.

Also, where is this magical 1070 for $200?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

PC still better for non-hardware reasons (and, well, also hardware reasons :D ), but whatever, play what makes you happy.

Consoles will only ever have the cost argument (they don't have the value argument, however), PC has everything else. Consoles need to learn their place, PC's need to stop being concerned with the opinions of their lessers.

So sayeth the Master Race.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@sakaixx said:

100% Agreed.

Budget poor people PC sucks just as much as other poor people gaming systems (consoles).

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

it like saying my phone can do 8k... samsung one.... it legal wording only....

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Lmfao, if only consoles were only $500. How about that $400+ over the next 7 years console players are going to pay to Sony or Microsoft just to be allowed to play the games they bought online on servers Microsoft and Sony have nothing to do with?

Is anyone here with a PS5 or XSS/X not going to use PSN or XBL?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

@zaryia said:
@sakaixx said:

100% Agreed.

Budget poor people PC sucks just as much as other poor people gaming systems (consoles).

Ikr zaryia? They even try to poses as pcmr eww fake.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@sakaixx said:
@zaryia said:
@sakaixx said:

100% Agreed.

Ikr zaryia? They even try to poses as pcmr eww fake.

Agreed fake pc gamers and also any console gamers = scum.