Left 4 Dead: Needs More Hype

• 150 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jodan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Jodan77
Member since 2005 • 2567 Posts

Ok, lets get this out of the way. I love Valve and everything they make. And I love Zombies and everything involving them.

Left4Dead is hands down the game for me 2008 and beyond (I've been waiting since Winter 2006). If you don't know much about the game read this awesome interview here: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/%5Bprimary-term%5D/e3_2008_left4dead_interview_new_graphics_weapons_and_steam_achievement_details?page=0%2C0

So I don't understand. The game FINALLY has a release date of Nov 4 (PC gamers can expect to play earlier if a beta is released in typical valve fashion): and it's got a 4 player co-op mode or the versus mode. And It's coming out on 360/PC exclusively.

And to those who love modding (Sorry 360 Owners) In some ways the game is really moddable in that you can make a map and you won't have to populate it because the director does that for you--Quoted from article

So I only have vague ideas why there is little hype for this game. Is it because 360 fans are more eager for GeOW 2? Or am I missing something?

__

Added August 5, 2008

The E3 Game Critics nominated it for...

Best Original Game

Best PC Game

Best Action Game

And it Won

Best Online Multiplayer Game

_____

Added August 6, 2008

Best Multiplayer Experience From IGN

Best PC Game from 1UP

Best PC Game and Best Multiplayer from UGO.com

Best of Show from TQcast

It was also announced that the game will feature an Developer's Commentary mode allows gamers to go "behind the scenes" of the game, similar to Team Fortress 2 and Episodes 1 & 2.

___

Added August 9, 2008

Gamespot awarded it E3 Editor's Choice Awards for...

Best Shooter

Shooters are popular. Game developers seem to make a lot of them. So the shooter category for our E3 awards is always crowded, and voting for a winner is always competitive. But at the end of the day, our winner for best shooter of the show went to Left 4 Dead, the distinctive multiplayer-only shooter that pits a team of players against an army of bloodthirsty zombies in an ongoing worst-case scenario story reminiscent of Dawn of the Dead or 28 Days Later. In the game, you'll play as a member of a small team of survivors that is immune to the mysterious plague that has turned the rest of humanity into an army of shambling murder machines. Your only hope--aside from carefully saving ammo for whichever conventional weapons you might be carrying--is your teammates. Because there are just so darn many zombies, you'll need to rely on your buddies to lay down backup fire when you're surrounded, as well as pick you up and drag you to safety if the zombies catch up to you. Left 4 Dead looks great in motion, and its unflinching challenge to get players to work together or suffer the consequences is a refreshing change of pace.

Best PC Game

Escaping the pack is your primary goal in Left 4 Dead, so it's fitting that this fast-paced shooter came out ahead in a group of strong PC games at E3. From the moment we sat down at Valve's booth alongside three other players, the harrowing action and frantic pace of Left 4 Dead kept us glued to our mouse and keyboard. Many other games offered expansive action on a broad scale, but it was this claustrophobic and single-minded survival struggle that caught our attention and wouldn't let go.

We had seen Left 4 Dead before, but the level we tackled at E3 was new. Starting off on the ground floor of a hospital, we began to ascend to the roof where a helicopter was set to airlift us to safety. Almost immediately, we were engaged by "the infected "--the quick, 28 Days Later-esque creatures whose sole purpose was to rend us limb from limb. After dispatching the first few waves with relative ease, we soon found ourselves beset by hordes of enemies as the game's dynamic artificial intelligence ramped up the challenge. As the action reached a fevered pitch, we found ourselves yelling things like, "Get this thing off me! GET THIS TENTACLE OFF ME!!" and "Stick together or die alone!" The dark, half-finished hospital set an ominous scene for our haggard, sunken-eyed crew, and the legions of infected moved with a lurching, unnatural speed that was truly unnerving. Not only did Left 4 Dead cause us to spontaneously shout lines that would fit well in a cheesy slasher movie, but it thoroughly impressed us visually and thrilled us right on through to our horrible, gruesome deaths.

And they Nominated it for Game of the Show

Doubters will miss out this November.

Amit_Raj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Amit_Raj
Member since 2007 • 381 Posts
sadly there is no hype.... but its gonna be yet another AAA for Valve ,PC and 360 imo
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts

I've seen a decent amount of hype for it actually.

At any rate, I can't wait for it. It's Valve and there's zombies. What more could I want?

Avatar image for Doctor-Salvador
Doctor-Salvador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Doctor-Salvador
Member since 2008 • 681 Posts
Nah, there's no logic here in SW. They'd much rather hype bland shooters instead of interesting ones.
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts
I really cant believe that the game will set up all the zombies by itself if you make your own map with the PC version...surely you would have to so some preset points.
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

Left 4 Dead looks really good. I like the trend of co-op in shooters that's starting to emerge, but this game seems really co-op focused in a good way, and it should be a lot of fun playing it with friends who are working together. There are a ton of really great ideas at work here. I'm looking forward to it.

But it's not an exclusive, so nobody here cares.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Skittles_McGee
I really cant believe that the game will set up all the zombies by itself if you make your own map with the PC version...surely you would have to so some preset points.cobrax75
Valve's pretty good when it comes to user-made content so I wouldn't be surprised if they have a system in place already. They know what they're doing. Hell, I think like half their employees were modders at one point.
CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

It's going toe to toe with GEOW2 on the 360, bit of a silly move.

I'll be picking both up though day one, L4D is looking awesome. I'm slightly worried about the length..but the mulitplayer should make up for it.

Really looking forward to it myself.

Pinkyimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 Pinkyimp
Member since 2006 • 3623 Posts
I know alot of pc gamers hyping it up but not as many console gamers...most people who use steam know about the game already and will pick it up.
Jodan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jodan77

But it's not an exclusive, so nobody here cares. sonicmj1

I wont pretend to understand the logic of SW: But I thought the general rule of thumb was console exclusives are still hyped as exclusive.

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cobrax75

It's going toe to toe with GEOW2 on the 360, bit of a silly move.

I'll be picking both up though day one, L4D is looking awesome. I'm slightly worried about the length..but the mulitplayer should make up for it.

Really looking forward to it myself.

CreepyBacon

it wont matter if its going toe to toe with GEOW, the primary platform for this game is the PC...thats where its going to be most popular.

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cobrax75

[QUOTE="cobrax75"]I really cant believe that the game will set up all the zombies by itself if you make your own map with the PC version...surely you would have to so some preset points.Skittles_McGee
Valve's pretty good when it comes to user-made content so I wouldn't be surprised if they have a system in place already. They know what they're doing. Hell, I think like half their employees were modders at one point.

most of Valve is comprised of modders, they buy modders all the time...they just hired the guy who made the Mirvana mod.

but still, I really have trouble believing that the game can procedurally generate zombie spawn points and their AI...that seems to be kind of out of reach given the current state of technology.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Skittles_McGee

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"][QUOTE="cobrax75"]I really cant believe that the game will set up all the zombies by itself if you make your own map with the PC version...surely you would have to so some preset points.cobrax75

most of Valve is comprised of modders, they buy modders all the time...they just hired the guy who made the Mirvana mod.

but still, I really have trouble believing that the game can procedurally generate zombie spawn points and their AI...that seems to be kind of out of reach given the current state of technology.

You never know. Either way, I'm sure whatever system they use for it will be as close to perfect as anyone could get.
Avatar image for 010dragonslayer
010dragonslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 010dragonslayer
Member since 2006 • 574 Posts

Left4Dead is probably my most wanted game, im definetley getting it over GOW2. Cant wait.

Amit_Raj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Amit_Raj
Member since 2007 • 381 Posts

there is also another rule of SW

if the graphics are poor its not worth hyping

Jodan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jodan77

The thing is the sytem of spawning zombies was made in mind for the campaign: There are no spawn points. Every time you play the game: you won't know what to expect.

That is why it'll work on any map. But remember: The official maps are tailored to make use of the sytem they created. If someone whips up a really quick map there is no guarantee it's going to be fun: but they will spawn the zombies.

meischris39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#18 meischris39
Member since 2004 • 5432 Posts
I think the premise is fantastic and no doubt as its Valve it will be a highly entertaining game. THe major downside to this game though is that its only 4 hours long and sure Valve have touted it as being dynamic and unique to each and every player so youll never feel as though your playing through the same game twice. Well to me that simply won't work very well and itll get marked down accordingly.
MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts
On other forums I've seen some hype for it.
Jodan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jodan77

20 Diff maps.

It's meant to be played online=So length should not matter much. Lots of variety.

But sure thats one fault you may be able to find if you're concerned about the single player experience.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
There should be hype, it has ZOMBIES!!!
makchady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 makchady
Member since 2007 • 1286 Posts
a little hard to hype something up when its being launched 3 days before the most hyped 360 game of this year, gears of war 2 and on the same day as the most hyped ps3 game of this year, resistance 2. not to mention that its in a close time frame with fable 2, fallout 3, far cry 2, little big planet, mercenaries 2 and many other bigger and more well known titles. so, no there is no hype, but it would be stupid for valve to launch it in november becuase they inevitably will have lackluster sales. i dont see this game being that great though honestly.
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts
I think it's going to kick ass. Some of my friends are getting it and the 4-player over Live is going to be sweet.
bf2nutta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bf2nutta
Member since 2007 • 1356 Posts

I'm hyped for it.... love zombie flicks 28 days later, 28 weeks later, George Romero's Zombie flicks e.t.c

I can't freaking wait just gotta decide which to get it for either the 360 or PC... I need the system specs to see if its worth getting for PC (it needs a bit of an upgrade)

marcuskickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 marcuskickass
Member since 2007 • 839 Posts
I've seen tons of people hyping this game, including me.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
I'm hyping it, but I have me doubts about it recieving AAA status. Mainly because it's Turtle Rock Studios developing it and not Valve entirely. I know that Valve owns them but I'm still doubtful.
rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rybe1025
Member since 2004 • 6362 Posts

The game looks amazing. It is kinda like 28 days later the game. I love how the zombie do not just come at you but flat out running full force. It seems like this game will be a great adrenaline rush.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Skittles_McGee
There should be hype, it has ZOMBIES!!! Teufelhuhn
Right, what more do you need?
POJO_MOFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 POJO_MOFO
Member since 2004 • 5525 Posts
I will by every singe game that Valve makes, day one without question, same goes for Blizzard (not WOW though), Team ICO, Kojima Productions, Bungie, and Insomniac. They have earned my trust and have not been let down yet.
Jodan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jodan77

IMO Left4Dead will be better than Gears.

Thats not to say that Gears of War wont be fun, or the juggernaut of sales this Winter, but I don't see much of a difference between it and the first one. While I will probably end up with both, I'm opting for Left4Dead for reasons I stated in my original post; but because I think it will be one of the funnest cooperative games released so far.

So I guess that makes me in the minority; but since I'm going to get Left4Dead on the PC I will not be so lonly.

sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

[QUOTE="sonicmj1"]

But it's not an exclusive, so nobody here cares. Jodan77

I wont pretend to understand the logic of SW: But I thought the general rule of thumb was console exclusives are still hyped as exclusive.

In theory, but that's not always how it works, for some reason.

I feel like console gamers see L4D as a PC game, and PC gamers see it as a console game, so neither is willing to nuture it with hype and let it fly. That's a shame, because it's a really cool-looking game.

They'll all see the error of their ways when the game releases.

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
I'll definately play it. But not over Gears 2.
Jodan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jodan77

I hate to bump an old thread, but in response to coments I've seen today: Do you think the game is overhyped?

Ok this game probably won't be the be all end all of first person shooters, but than again nothing will be. But I expect it to be a solid action game that will stand out on the pc, but 360 users will overlook.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#34 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
it kinda looks like poo but if i can run it and it gets good reviews i'll give it a shot.
sargentbotk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sargentbotk
Member since 2007 • 4224 Posts
I'm going to get it day 1. But I'm not really hyping it like geow 2
Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#36 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts

Nah, there's no logic here in SW. They'd much rather hype bland shooters instead of interesting ones.Doctor-Salvador

What bland shooters are people hyping, if you don't mind me asking? :?

housy2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 housy2008
Member since 2005 • 497 Posts
Not as much hype because it isn't coming to the PS3, so jealousy is settled in. It looks friggin sweeeet.
housy2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 housy2008
Member since 2005 • 497 Posts

[QUOTE="Doctor-Salvador"]Nah, there's no logic here in SW. They'd much rather hype bland shooters instead of interesting ones.DeathScape666

What bland shooters are people hyping, if you don't mind me asking? :?

Resistance 2, and Killzone 2 (looks graphically good though)

strudel420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 strudel420
Member since 2006 • 3687 Posts
Its my most anticipated game easily.
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Does it have online coop?

Anyway i looked it up a minute ago and the graphics do look very old,,,but i guess thats not too bad if the gameaply makes up for it.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
There should be hype for it.
club-sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 club-sandwich
Member since 2007 • 8399 Posts
one of my most anticipated games for this year, my 3rd one just down under Gears of War 2, and Banjo Kazooie.
strudel420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 strudel420
Member since 2006 • 3687 Posts

Anyway i looked it up a minute ago and the graphics do look very old,,,but i guess thats not too bad if the gameaply makes up for it.

daytona_178

4 player online co-op.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="Jodan77"]

[QUOTE="sonicmj1"]

But it's not an exclusive, so nobody here cares. sonicmj1

In theory, but that's not always how it works, for some reason.

I feel like console gamers see L4D as a PC game, and PC gamers see it as a console game, so neither is willing to nuture it with hype and let it fly. That's a shame, because it's a really cool-looking game.

They'll all see the error of their ways when the game releases.

what? no way, pc gamers recognize it's a pc game. there's a ton of hype for it, just on other forums :P
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts
[QUOTE="daytona_178"]

strudel420

4 player online co-op.

Yeah just checked out the E3 demo,,,looks good but iam not sure if its worth £25 (British currency).

mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mephisto_11
Member since 2008 • 1880 Posts

its releasing around the same time as geow2 but im really hyped for this game and will pick it up after im done with gears 2. 4 player coop frenzy made by valve is more than i could have asked for. this game will be ridiculously fun with friends

Jodan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jodan77

The E3 Game Critics nominated it for...

Best Original Game

Best PC Game

Best Action Game

And it Won

Best Online Multiplayer Game

----

Doubters will miss out this November.

Jodan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jodan77

A fresh batch of news.

Best Multiplayer Experience From IGN

Best PC Game from 1UP

Best PC Game and Best Multiplayer from UGO.com

Best of Show from TQcast

It was also announced that the game will feature an Developer's Commentary mode allows gamers to go "behind the scenes" of the game, similliar to Team Fortress 2 and Episodes 1 & 2.

dru26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dru26
Member since 2005 • 5505 Posts
Valve + Zombies = awesome. Anyone not hyping this game is not really paying attention.
dru26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dru26
Member since 2005 • 5505 Posts

[QUOTE="sonicmj1"]

But it's not an exclusive, so nobody here cares. Jodan77

In reality console exclusives are an important factor in alot of living rooms. SW has no room for reality.