Kotaku: The Xbox One In 2015 Was A Great Machine, Better Than PS4 In Many Ways

• 121 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

It must be frustrating for the people who work on the Xbox One, to have turned one of the worst-pitched gaming consoles ever into a machine that’s in several ways better than its competition. Lately, Microsoft has done so many things well. They’ve improved their box in so many ways. Surely they ask: Will you not love the Xbox One, already?

They are trying so hard.

SOURCE

I have to hand it to Microsoft this year- while Sony generally coasted and had an off year, with not too many quality exclusives, a focus on multiplatform games, and games not releasing for a very long time, and enacted several anti consumer policies, Microsoft were on top of their game- they had several quality exclusives, they tried to make the Xbox One ownership experience better, and they also did several things that really were for the players, instead of just talking about doing them, like Sony does.

Will this continue on in 2016? I don't know. Right now, though, in 2015? I think MS did a hell of a good job.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#2 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Well duh, yeah.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I agree.....it will continue because they are still behind ( by a lot ) and they want to make up some ground. It's nice to see MS fighting this hard.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Yup, their back was to the wall and that's the way I like'em, They practically needed to move heaven & earth to get back in the game, well done, keep it coming MS.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Waiting til August to have an actual system exclusive is considered trying, now. Good to know.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Struggling to see what they did besides backwards compatibility and release another yearly batch of Halo and Forza rehashes.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56097 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Struggling to see what they did besides backwards compatibility and release another yearly batch of Halo and Forza rehashes.

I guess those new IP Xbox One games like, Scalebound, Quantum Break, Sea of Thieves, and ReCore are rehashes huh?

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NathanDrakeSwag

@davillain- said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

I guess those new IP Xbox One games like, Scalebound, Quantum Break, Sea of Thieves, and ReCore are rehashes huh?

Those released this year?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Such a great console that no one wants em. In fact, even MS is ashamed of their sale numbers.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#11 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

@davillain- said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

When someone says that, they usually imply that whatever else they release wasn't even worth mentioning. It's like if a sports game get a 10/10, it's still won't make me interested in it. Though this guy is usually a troll so wtv.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@davillain- said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Next year. Quantum Break has a release date in April 2016 which is the first out of four new IP Xbox One.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NathanDrakeSwag

@davillain- said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@davillain- said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Next year.

Cool. They are irrelevant in this topic then.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NathanDrakeSwag

@da_illest101 said:
@davillain- said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

When someone says that, they usually imply that whatever else they release wasn't even worth mentioning. It's like if a sports game get a 10/10, it's still won't make me interested in it. Though this guy is usually a troll so wtv.

What year does the topic title say? 2015 or 2016?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#16 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I bought a One this year because BC pushed me, but I've mostly been playing native One games. Halo 5 is exceptional and has been worth a large part of my purchase by itself.

Pretty happy with my PS4 still. It's been quiet for me though. Early in the year I had a blast with The Order and Bloodborne, but I've enjoyed other exclusives like DriveClub and Until Dawn much less.

Hell, I need to play my PS3 too.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaVillain  Moderator

I will say that after Phil Spencer took over Xbox One division, he has been showing and really trying to stay in competitive during these darkest times, so credit where it's due. Everyone knows that Xbox One will never catch up to PS4 sales worldwide, [serious it ain't gonna happen] they however at least a worthy competitive to Sony and after all, good competition is good for the gaming industry. Sorry but I don't consider Nintendo a competitive to both MS/Sony. Will they try when NX is release? Well were gonna see.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I like my PS4 but the Xbone has some appeal too, especially after this year. I hear a lot of great things about the Halo 5 multiplayer.

Next year overall will be a great year (assuming no ore delays or broken games at launch).

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Yeah like I'm going to a Kotaku article.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

I'm going to sit back and watch all the Sony fanboys rush in here with their pitchforks to cause a riot in this one.........This should be good, I can see and hear them coming already lol.

DrkeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DrkeX
Member since 2003 • 645 Posts

I have both, xb1 has been better in 2015.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

@BigShotSmoov007 said:

I'm going to sit back and watch all the Sony fanboys rush in here with their pitchforks to cause a riot in this one.........This should be good, I can see and hear them coming already lol.

Pitchfork and torches.... Flame Shield Up !!! :P

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

@SecretPolice said:
@BigShotSmoov007 said:

Pitchfork and torches.... Flame Shield Up !!! :P

I already see some of the usually suspects in here already, but there's more to come lol.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Awesome for Kotaku.

But whatever.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Blabadon: What's the issue with until Dawn?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Blabadon

@charizard1605: what I posted on EB

"Game blows its load with its best secrets too early. Between that and how its schlocky tone wears off too quickly, the gameplay doesn't really entice me to want to "unravel all its secrets" or see all the endings. It's a fault partially to blame on being a product of the YouTube/wiki era, partially because Supermassive didn't take some cues from Telltale's better games (and I'm assuming Dontnod now) on how to pace it all.

Some ideas are great, like having to use button prompts to grab an object on your own which can be tense as ****, but that wears off as the jump scares become less prevalent. The only gameplay mechanic that I really loved was the "Don't Move" shit where moving your DS4 could result in an early death.

Because yay, death actually matters in this game, but only so much because the characters are written like teenagers from someone who may have never seen or been a teenager before, and this makes me care very little about some of them at all. Only one is written anywhere near properly to being considered a protagonist, the rest either vary between being shitty but redeemed by the writing or just poorly written in general.

Game's just not very engaging aside from a few story beats. It's not bad, has some redeeming writing here and there, looks pretty decent, but it's just not good, like at all, after a while. It was much better with a friend and a beer though."

I gave it a 5/10

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Consumers benefit most from the underdogs. PS4 is about as lazy as the Wii. Games? we don't need no stinkin games.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#28 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

It was a fun year of gaming. My Xbox 1 got the bulk of my time with MCC through beginning of year until bloodborne, then witcher 3 PC basically through most of summer, then mgs5 ps4, then rare, halo 5, rise of tr. I also played ori in march on X1, arkham in June-July on X1. Also spent time on gears ultimate, fast n furious forza horizon. Console is great, games are fun, people are buying much to a few idiots chagrin here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Blabadon: That sounds like a shame. I was really looking forward to playing it too :/

I suppose I'll hold out in hopes of it eventually hitting PS+. The poorly written characters sound like a dealbreaker, especially in a game that is so intently focused on its storytelling.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@davillain- said:

I will say that after Phil Spencer took over Xbox One division, he has been showing and really trying to stay in competitive during these darkest times, so credit where it's due. Everyone knows that Xbox One will never catch up to PS4 sales worldwide, [serious it ain't gonna happen] they however at least a worthy competitive to Sony and after all, good competition is good for the gaming industry. Sorry but I don't consider Nintendo a competitive to both MS/Sony. Will they try when NX is release? Well were gonna see.

There was a time no one thought PS3 would ever catch up to the 360 in sales.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Yeah, Xbox did alright this year.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Blabadon

@charizard1605: I mean, certainly play it, story based, gameplay light games are certainly more subjective than gameplay heavy ones.

For example I think Danganronpa 1 and 2 are absolutely trash in cartridge form, but they're still loved.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@davillain-: None of those are out yet.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@charizard1605:

@charizard1605 said:

@Blabadon: What's the issue with until Dawn?

It's not on the X1.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I think it will continue for as long as they are behind in sales and I think Sony will continue to just ride in cruise control and be more anti-consumer for as long as they have a comfortable lead in sales. I don't expect Xbox to be able to catch up to the PS4 in sales this generation no matter what they do, so I expect this to continue for the entire generation.

I love it when a company is behind in sales and they have to work their assess off and be pro-consumer to try to gain some ground like Xbox has been doing since the PS4 started kicking their ass. As a Xbox One owner, I feel like I've benefited a lot from this. On the other hand, I hate when a company has a dominant lead in the market because it always leads to them becoming lazy and anti-consumer like Sony has become since they reclaimed the lead. As a PS4 owner as well, I feel like Sony is screwing me with their anti-consumer behavior and not working as hard as they could be since they know that they are already in the lead and can just keep riding off of their launch momentum instead.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

Kotaku.......lolol

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Microsoft were on top of their game- they had several quality exclusives, they tried to make the Xbox One ownership experience better, and they also did several things that really were for the players, instead of just talking about doing them, like Sony does.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I agree the Xbox One continues to have one of the greatest come backs in console gaming history after the terrible initial pitch. Slowly but surely more consumers are realizing Sony's recent anti-consumer tactics and Sony is betting their entire Playstation gaming division on virtual reality crap. Sony are pretty slow in realizing their mistakes, so I really think if they continue their anti-consumer tactics and really making VR a priority, these will be their downfall as Xbox One continues to pass them by. I mean right now Sony raised prices on their game sales in some regions while Xbox is releasing yet another full retail game free to play for the weekend starting today, it's Elder's Scrolls Online.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NathanDrakeSwag

What is happening is people have such low expectations for the xbone and unrealistically high expectations of PS4 due to the sales of each that it clouds their judgement of reality.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12062 Posts

Water is wet, and Sony is broke.

File this under duh and this thread should be locked, get a mod.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@sts106mat said:
@Shewgenja said:

Waiting til August to have an actual system exclusive is considered trying, now. Good to know.

or waiting two years and getting driveclub

Huh? Plenty of exclusives have come out other than driveClub.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

This is all just opinions. Everyone has one. As I have yet to see a reason to pick up the console I don't agree with this premise. MS releases their big games at the end of the year and the rest of the year is barren. So I can't see how hard they are trying. Granted if someone isn't tired of yearly releases of the same titles they would pick up the system. Those games don't appeal to me.

In the end Kotaku's opinion is meaningless though.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Just because people say Xbox One had lots of quality exclusives this year doesn't actually make it true. They released Forza and Halo, every other high scoring game was a multiplat or remaster.

PS4 hardly took the world by storm, but it also had some quality exclusives like Bloodborne, Until Dawn and Disgaea 5.

I don't know, I feel like it's becoming trendy to knock on Sony again because of the BC situation. Microsoft absolutely deserves props for finding a way to bring in old games through software, but that doesn't magically make the One's exclusive library this year impressive.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

This is all just opinions. Everyone has one. As I have yet to see a reason to pick up the console I don't agree with this premise. MS releases their big games at the end of the year and the rest of the year is barren. So I can't see how hard they are trying. Granted if someone isn't tired of yearly releases of the same titles they would pick up the system. Those games don't appeal to me.

Ori in March, the Fast and Furious stand alone expansion for Horizone 2 and State of Decay Year One Survival Edition in April, I think Smite went into open beta in May or some time in the summer, Massive Chalice in June, Rare Replay and Gears Ultimate in August and then Forza, Halo 5 and Tomb Raider for the fall. And thats not including all the other multiplats that yes, do exist on the xbox one. So no, the rest of the year wasn't barren for Xbox One owners. If they don't appeal to you, thats fine(it doesn't seem like any games appeal to you) but its stupid to say that the Xbox hasn't been getting a steady stream of games all year.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LJS9502_basic

@mems_1224 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Ori in March, the Fast and Furious stand alone expansion for Horizone 2 and State of Decay Year One Survival Edition in April, I think Smite went into open beta in May or some time in the summer, Massive Chalice in June, Rare Replay and Gears Ultimate in August and then Forza, Halo 5 and Tomb Raider for the fall. And thats not including all the other multiplats that yes, do exist on the xbox one. So no, the rest of the year wasn't barren for Xbox One owners. If they don't appeal to you, thats fine(it doesn't seem like any games appeal to you) but its stupid to say that the Xbox hasn't been getting a steady stream of games all year.

Expansions, beta, old game collections, multi and the same series that I already said MS continues to release, Gears, Forza, and second tier Halos. I guess you have proven my point for me though I didh't need your help.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Ok ... X1 better in many ways ... hmm ! So was Wii U in 2014 but .. did it matter in the end ? No! Lets see if MS has what it takes to make it matter. Playstation isnt doing as bad as many people want or think it does. Metacritic says it all.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: Smite released fully later in the summer but game was available to all xbox one owners since before that. Massive Chalice and Ori are both new IPs. One is a MOBA, one is a Platformer and one is a turn based strategy game. Bu...but MS lacks teh variety!!!! What point were you trying to make? That you're ignorant of what the Xbox actually offers? You dont need me to make that point for you.

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

SO great that nobody wants it...LOL.

MS should really stop paying people to talk favorably about their flop of a machine.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@mems_1224 said:

@LJS9502_basic: Smite released fully later in the summer but game was available to all xbox one owners since before that. Massive Chalice and Ori are both new IPs. One is a MOBA, one is a Platformer and one is a turn based strategy game. Bu...but MS lacks teh variety!!!! What point were you trying to make? That you're ignorant of what the Xbox actually offers? You dont need me to make that point for you.

It would probably be better if you actually read posts before replying to them. Your rants are beyond ridiculous since you're arguing something unassailable. Opinion. Duh.