K.I. Season 3 looks great.

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oezNzZ_V1o#t=83

Killer Instinct has made huge steps to improve since it's launch. I'm looking forward to Season 3 and test out the new fighters. I'm glad to see more then just the normal 2 fighting franchises thrive.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

PC gameplay

Loading Video...

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#3 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Lovin' the new character select screen. I'm not a fan of the base game though.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Loving it so far, it may sound silly but that new splash title screen is great. Loving the Arbiter and his level, I'm just learning his moves before I go and wipe the floor with a few PC gamers :)

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9729 Posts

More gameplay

Loading Video...

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@magicalclick said:

Awesome for the people who can fight. I got beat so badly in KI XD.

It's a very intricate fighter in terms of learning and executing combos, if you don't spend the time to learn them and you can't do it you're going to get wrecked. The skill ceiling is very high throughout and thus less appealing to the casual community who would be better suited for games like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, while they do have a high skill ceiling, they are entry level friendly, this is not.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@dynamitecop said:

The skill ceiling is very high throughout and thus less appealing to the casual community who would be better suited for games like Street Fighter

lmao

VF is the one fighting series that stands above all others in terms of difficulty. After that there is GG. Then there is everything else. Then there is stuff like MK.

KI and SF are in the same pool, only KI is much more accessible. SFV made strides towards accessibility in contrast to how difficult execution could be in SF4, but the execution barrier in SFV is still more demanding than what KI asks of you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I really want to play Killer Instinct, especially after the Season 3 update...

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dynamitecop

@ConanTheStoner said:
@dynamitecop said:

The skill ceiling is very high throughout and thus less appealing to the casual community who would be better suited for games like Street Fighter

lmao

VF is the one fighting series that stands above all others in terms of difficulty. After that there is GG. Then there is everything else. Then there is stuff like MK.

KI and SF are in the same pool, only KI is much more accessible. SFV made strides towards accessibility in contrast to how difficult execution could be in SF4, but the execution barrier in SFV is still more demanding than what KI asks of you.

I don't know how could view things that way considering in all of those games button mashing can get you somewhere, in KI it get's you absolutely no where, you have to execute combos or you're screwed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b883bb846c10
deactivated-5b883bb846c10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-5b883bb846c10
Member since 2015 • 1043 Posts

I'm noticing something cool and interesting and that KI is secretly becoming MS Super Smash bros with these other Xbox characters appearing...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5b883bb846c10

@dynamitecop said:
@magicalclick said:

Awesome for the people who can fight. I got beat so badly in KI XD.

It's a very intricate fighter in terms of learning and executing combos, if you don't spend the time to learn them and you can't do it you're going to get wrecked. The skill ceiling is very high throughout and thus less appealing to the casual community who would be better suited for games like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, while they do have a high skill ceiling, they are entry level friendly, this is not.

And here I thought no offense that KI was just a button masher.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@dynamitecop said:

I don't know how could view things that way considering in all of those games button mashing can get you somewhere

Even Mortal Kombat, a casual friendly series, won't let you get away with mashing these days. But if you think the likes of VF, GG, or SF let you get away with it, you should probably actually try the games sometime. Even with SFVs strides towards accessibility, mashing will still get you instantly wrecked in the lowest of the gutter ranks. The game is hard wired for frame traps and whiff punishment.

And yeah, KI is a combo heavy game. That really means nothing in terms of skill ceiling or accessibility. UMK3 was a fighting game that purely relied on combos above all else and it's one of the easiest fighting games around. Not saying that's how KI is, KI actually has some pretty strict links, but not any more so than the aforementioned games. Besides that, combo execution is only the entry way to being a better player, it's only one of many much more important factors.

To be honest though, these comparisons are peripheral to the point. An off hand recommendation of Street Fighter to casuals is like recommending ghost pepper sauce to someone with a sensitive stomach. And to place it alongside something like Mortal Kombat when SF is, at the very least, just as demanding as KI, is pretty absurd.

I don't know if it's just ignorance, or being intentionally dishonest, but what you're peddling here is far from the truth.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dynamitecop

@ConanTheStoner said:
@dynamitecop said:

I don't know how could view things that way considering in all of those games button mashing can get you somewhere

Even Mortal Kombat, a casual friendly series, won't let you get away with mashing these days. But if you think the likes of VF, GG, or SF let you get away with it, you should probably actually try the games sometime. Even with SFVs strides towards accessibility, mashing will still get you instantly wrecked in the lowest of the gutter ranks. The game is hard wired for frame traps and whiff punishment.

And yeah, KI is a combo heavy game. That really means nothing in terms of skill ceiling or accessibility. UMK3 was a fighting game that purely relied on combos above all else and it's one of the easiest fighting games around. Not saying that's how KI is, KI actually has some pretty strict links, but not any more so than the aforementioned games. Besides that, combo execution is only the entry way to being a better player, it's only one of many much more important factors.

To be honest though, these comparisons are peripheral to the point. An off hand recommendation of Street Fighter to casuals is like recommending ghost pepper sauce to someone with a sensitive stomach. And to place it alongside something like Mortal Kombat when SF is, at the very least, just as demanding as KI, is pretty absurd.

I don't know if it's just ignorance, or being intentionally dishonest, but what you're peddling here is far from the truth.

It's most definitely not, and I've played all of them, I own two of them and I refuse to buy Street Fighter for the many obvious reasons. I know what you mean about Mortal Kombat X, it's less mash friendly than it's been in the past for sure and we're on the same page there, but you can still get somewhere against an experienced player by spamming at random, the same goes for Street Fighter. The literal forward momentum pushing you in regular attacks is there, that's one of the biggest things that makes button mashing viable, you can push your character forward while mashing.

You've played KI no doubt so you know exactly how planted the combat is, you have a very small striking distance and unless you know exactly what you're doing and executing combos you're not moving, your ass is planted right where you were just throwing punches and kicks in the air in a completely static position. That alone renders button mashing nearly impossible, you may get lucky and start a combo, but you're not going to be able to maintain it and keep it going and you're going to get absolutely destroyed as a result, KI is the most button mashing unfriendly fighter there is, nothing else comes close.

On top of this I didn't say Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat do not have a high skill ceiling, they do, but the games also have a lower entry floor. Casual players are less likely to be turned off by both of those games because they can still be partially efficient, Killer Instinct is not newbie friendly and turns these people away because you need to know too much too soon, it's overbearing for newcomers.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

Game looks sick, it's like Smash Bros but with blood and Hisako.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@ConanTheStoner Aside from VF it's really difficult to argue which fighter takes the most skill to master. After all, there is absolutely no quantifiable or objective way to prove it. DOA, SC, Mortal Kombat are all pretty easy games to pick up and play but they are like most fighting games very difficult to master and require time and dedication. In all of them you gotta know combos, match up, start up time, lag etc and study the game mechanics to become really, really good. I say VF stands as the most difficult as even the basics are difficult to grasp with the different stances and whatnot.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lostrib

Apparently this game has some issues if you have your monitor set to a refresh rate higher than 60hz

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dynamitecop

@lostrib said:

Apparently this game has some issues if you have your monitor set to a refresh rate higher than 60hz

What kind of issues?

olart4618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 olart4618
Member since 2010 • 478 Posts

Loving last update.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lostrib

@dynamitecop said:
@lostrib said:

What kind of issues?

i guess it's just one issue. The frame rate apparently isn't capped at 60, so it will go up to whatever the monitor allows which causes everything to move really fast and be unplayable.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dynamitecop

@lostrib said:
@dynamitecop said:
@lostrib said:

What kind of issues?

i guess it's just one issue. The frame rate apparently isn't capped at 60, so it will go up to whatever the monitor allows which causes everything to move really fast and be unplayable.

This can't be something global, I've looked at the user reviews and seen nothing like this.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lostrib

@dynamitecop said:
@lostrib said:
@dynamitecop said:
@lostrib said:

What kind of issues?

This can't be something global, I've looked at the user reviews and seen nothing like this.

well it would only effect people with monitors that run above 60hz

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dynamitecop

@lostrib said:
@dynamitecop said:
@lostrib said:
@dynamitecop said:
@lostrib said:

What kind of issues?

Which in the PC sector has not become an uncommon thing, also all the user reviews are on the Windows 10 store.

It doesn't seem like something widespread from what I can tell.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lostrib

@dynamitecop said:
@lostrib said:
@dynamitecop said:
@lostrib said:
@dynamitecop said:

What kind of issues?

Which in the PC sector has not become an uncommon thing, also all the user reviews are on the Windows 10 store.

It doesn't seem like something widespread from what I can tell.

the devs have already noted it's an issue with the game and are working on it. The fix is to set your monitor to 60hz or force it to cap at 60fps

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

button mashing in Virtua Fighter? lol yeah okay.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@dynamitecop said:
@lostrib said:
@dynamitecop said:
@lostrib said:

What kind of issues?

Loading Video...

I can test that once I get home

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

@jg4xchamp:

Lol I said the same thing when I read that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5b883bb846c10

@BigShotSmoov007 said:

@jg4xchamp:

Lol I said the same thing when I read that.

I keep hearing VF is one of the hardest fighters...

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Yeah, this is how you do a fighter for sure. Looking forward to upgrading to Season 3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

@blessedbyhorus:

I wouldn't say it's one of the hardest but you can't button mash your way to victory in that game at all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5b883bb846c10

@BigShotSmoov007 said:

@blessedbyhorus:

I wouldn't say it's one of the hardest but you can't button mash your way to victory in that game at all.

Agreed. But I never played KI and from gameplay it kinda looks like a button masher. Am I wrong?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

If I was still any good a fighters I would buy this game in a heartbeat.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Lol what night, I like the new ranking system, surprisingly did quite well with Arbiter won like half my matches. Tusk looks amazing I must say, I didn't even know about him before he came out here.

Anyone notice when you move your cursor in the moves list, it creates melodies lol.....I was wondering if that was in season 2 and if I hadn't noticed it before

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

This is probably the only Xone game I'm truly jealous the ps4 doesn't have. Looks really fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

@blessedbyhorus said:
@BigShotSmoov007 said:

@blessedbyhorus:

Agreed. But I never played KI and from gameplay it kinda looks like a button masher. Am I wrong?

KI is more casual friendly that's for sure. They even implemented a Combo assist button although it doesn't allow you to pull off the large, longer combos but it's gears more towards the fighting game novice and of course I take that crap off LOL. Even though it's more gears toward novice, it is very complex and competitive fighting game and the things you can pull off will have you floored.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5b883bb846c10

@BigShotSmoov007:

Didnt know that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

@blessedbyhorus said:

@BigShotSmoov007:

Didnt know that.

But you can button mash and you'll probably get some wins against other novice, but if you playing against someone that's good, there's no way you'll win LOL.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@charizard1605: Get a PC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5b883bb846c10

@BigShotSmoov007:

Of course... The players are more skilled.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

So I just played a few matches on PC....... I'm never playing KI on Xbox One ever again. My word does it run well and look great. Even the load times are crazy fast. What the hell have I been doing?

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kvally

Looks like Season 3 is off to a good start on Xbox and Windows 10:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

@kvally said:

Looks like Season 3 is off to a good start on Xbox and Windows 10:

The more people playing the better, online battles will be crazy on there.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#43 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts

I just tried the new characters, I thought Rash Moveset was limited but after using him for a bit is full of linkers and good auto combos

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I thought all of the original KI songs were gone, but here I am hearing The Way you Move during the credits.

So good this game was made for Gamers.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9729 Posts

Killer Instinct's ranked league gets reset; new online mode changes include inactive player rank drops, punishing cheaters, and more

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Yeah, it's too bad there's not a physical version of it though. I'm still rocking the season 1 Combo Breaker Pack

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Playing KI for the first time on PC and I'm finding its systems to be pretty interesting. Also the tutorial on how to play the game is very good as well, explains all you need to know. I do have trouble executing moves though, I'm going to blame have of it on me and the other half on the 360 controller :P

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts
@dynamitecop said:

The literal forward momentum pushing you in regular attacks is there, that's one of the biggest things that makes button mashing viable, you can push your character forward while mashing.

Some normals do, but most don't. What the hell though, are you saying meaty normals make mashing viable? Forward momentum off of a normal has no correlation with mashing aside from the fact that most of them have more start up frames which in turn makes you more likely to eat a counter or reversal. They're unsafe moves, typically negative on block, good for a gamble on mix ups, but also easy to read. When countered, the hit stun will be greater, leaving you wide open to eat any number of punishes. You'll never mash your way to victory against even an intermediate player using such tactics. What you will do is eat 30+% damage regularly.

Do you even play fighting games? This is 101 level fighting game basics and you seem to have no clue. The fact that you're placing KI on a pedestal here only reinforces that.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Gotta love how Sony fans keep ignoring it. As if it isn't the best fighting game of the gen.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kvally

Looks like KI3 is a megaflop like R&F. It's 84 at Metacritic.