Keep hyping exclusives kids, they're anti consumer and bad all around for the industry but keep it up

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Vatusus said:

If consoles didnt have exclusives there would be no incentive to buy them. If Sony funds their exclusives why wouldnt they have the right to use them to drive their consoles sales?

But again, of course a lem would be against them... cause they have any.

If that was true then the Xbox One would not have sold 39 million consoles.

Well to be fair if PS4 doesn't have exclusive could also mean a big chance that PS4 would be around 39 millions or even less rather than 80 plus millions now.. I for one would not buy PS4 if are their games are on PC and I'm pretty sure many people here will do the same.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Vatusus said:

If consoles didnt have exclusives there would be no incentive to buy them. If Sony funds their exclusives why wouldnt they have the right to use them to drive their consoles sales?

I think all of them want to sell more then that though lol. They want the biggest market share that is very puny resulting in playstation dominance. Nintendo and Sony in particular console is there biggest platform. They don't want those numbers.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#53 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Telekill said:

That's how it should be. What the hell is the point of different systems if they all play the same games with no exclusions?

What makes a person buy a Samsung TV over a Sony Bravia? They both play the same TV shows.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@cainetao11: Gotcha. So it comes down to you guys wanting the Playstation exclusive games but not wanting to shell out for their hardware.

Got it.

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55 Zappat
Member since 2018 • 1592 Posts
@getyeryayasout said:

Sounds like the kind of thing I'd say if my favorite company wasn't putting out exclusives.

lol this, now all lems support universality because their console has no exclusives. Last gen MS was probably the least friendly with compatibility between systems since even Sony had more crossplay efforts than them and the same people were in favor of that. So is the nature of fanboys... I would take these types of rants more seriously if you really supported real integration, that means no proprietary OSs or even tools like DirectX that work only on one system but no, this is really about supporting MS, not real universal compatibility.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#56 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Vatusus said:

yeah 39 million suckers :p

And Im pretty sure Halo helped a lot those sales

kenshiro3948

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By kenshiro3948
Member since 2018 • 406 Posts
@MonsieurX said:
@kenshiro3948 said:

Nice damage control thread. Sony and Nintendo have proven that exclusives matter. Sony has completely dominated this year thanks to exclusives like Spiderman, GOW, and Detroit. Look at the VGAs, it was mostly Sony exclsuives getting nominated and GOW even won the GOTY award. Anyone that says exclusives don’t matter at this point is stupidly delusional. MS is at the bottom primarily because their “exclsuives” are available on PC and because they are shit or stale for the most part.

Wii U and Gamecube sold like shit, even if they had an amazing exclusive games lineup.

Those consoles were flawed with bad marketing and other things that hampered their success. Switch is doing well right now thanks to exclusives and Nintendo getting their heads out of their butts and realizing what works for them. You'd have to be in denial to say that the Switch isn't doing well right now because of games like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and Smash. those games are huge hits and they are the main reason Nintendo is doing so well right now. That and Nintendo finally got their marketing and hardware right. While exclusives are the primary reason consoles sell they also have to be paired with good marketing and good hardware to sell well.

@Steppy_76 said:

@kenshiro3948: that's helps the corporations. How does that help you as a consumer though?

How does it help the consumer? LOL, what a ridiculous and stupid question.

My PS4 is getting high quality exclusives and providing me with games. How is that not beneficial to me as a consumer?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@cainetao11 said:
@Telekill said:

That's how it should be. What the hell is the point of different systems if they all play the same games with no exclusions?

What makes a person buy a Samsung TV over a Sony Bravia? They both play the same TV shows.

I dont see neither Samsung or Sony funding their own TV shows to drive TV sales...

A better comparison would be Netflix, HULU, etc, etc. They fund their own shows to push subscriptions. Game digital stores like Origin, Steam, Battle.net, etc also have their own exclusives to push memberships. This is no different

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#59 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

@Vatusus said:

yeah 39 million suckers :p

And Im pretty sure Halo helped a lot those sales

Nah! Its more like rollover support helped it a lot.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 cainetao11

@Telekill said:

@cainetao11: Gotcha. So it comes down to you guys wanting the Playstation exclusive games but not wanting to shell out for their hardware.

Got it.

When did I say anything about what I want? I merely pointed out one example of many where there are devices that compete and do so based on their build quality and features not by segmenting the media played.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56104 Posts

@ni6htmare01 said:

lol will you buy PS5 if Spiderman 2 comes out as an exclusive again?

LOL yeah man, you really have to and I mean have to show me what's radical for Spider-Man 2 in order to get me into buying PS5. But however, there's always PS Now :P

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@cainetao11: Read between the lines.

kenshiro3948

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 kenshiro3948
Member since 2018 • 406 Posts
@davillain- said:
@ni6htmare01 said:

LOL yeah man, you really have to and I mean have to show me what's radical for Spider-Man 2 in order to get me into buying PS5. But however, there's always PS Now :P

:P You are lying bro. You know you will preorder a PS5 for Spiderman. No true Spiderman or comic book fan will skip out on the opportunity.

I'm so hyped for the next Spiderman game myself.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By cainetao11

@Vatusus said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Telekill said:

I dont see neither Samsung or Sony funding their own TV shows to drive TV sales...

A better comparison would be Netflix, HULU, etc, etc. They fund their own shows to push subscriptions. Game digital stores like Origin, Steam, Battle.net, etc also have their own exclusives to push memberships. This is no different

You are aware tvs from different manufacturers have competed for Decades before any service like Hulu or Netflix?

Personally I don't give a shit one way or the other. But there is an entire lifetime of consumer evidence that says corporations can make the same type device and there still be competition. Since when has hardware sales been the money maker in the industry? It has always been software sales. Now memberships as well.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56104 Posts

@kenshiro3948 said:
@davillain- said:
@ni6htmare01 said:

:P You are lying bro. You know you will preorder a PS5 for Spiderman. No true Spiderman or comic book fan will skip out on the opportunity.

I'm so hyped for the next Spiderman game myself.

Looks like I been Exposed! I'm a gamer enthusiast, it seems like I don't have a choice in the matter lol.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@davillain- said:
@ni6htmare01 said:

With possible Venom and Mile Morales Spiderman as playable character.. I see day one with a brand new PS5 from you lol

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 cainetao11

@Telekill said:

@cainetao11: Read between the lines.

run with it bro

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

I wish all games were released on all platforms and we as consumers only had to choose a console for the actual hardware. Example would be would you like a 4k console with a blu ray player? Cool. You can get that. Do you want a portable/console hybrid that only does 1080 and no disc drive? Cool. You can do that too. Or do you prefer to play everything on the pc you just upgraded? No problemo. Games should be like movies and released across the board. We don’t see the new Avengers blu ray only being able to work on Sharp branded Blu Ray players so why is this any different? Imagine how many copies of the last of us or Smash bros would have sold if it was available everywhere? Would be a great world for devs and consumers alike.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#69 Johnny-n-Roger
Member since 2003 • 15151 Posts
@cainetao11 said:
@Telekill said:

Price. Hardware quality.

Apples to Oranges, however, because the profit margin on console hardware is slim to none, whereas the profit margin on TV hardware is the entire basis of the manufacturers business model.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#70 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

In a perfect world for consumers you could play a game wherever you like. Sadly, corporations like money, so they aren't going anywhere.

I think the way some people on this forum put them on a pedestal is misguided. I get it - System Wars and all - but it's gotten to the point where having a real conversation is impossible. An inability to criticize the things you enjoy is the very definition of fanatic.

however

The saddest thing of all is Sony's inability to provide a good enough console to run their exclusives adequately. It's the only place to play the game, and yet, it runs like dog shit. All I want to do is play BloodBorne at 60fps, I'll take 1080p - it's fine. Where's the PS4 Pro patch, Sony? What the **** are you doing?

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

The future is going to be services. They want to keep you in their eco-system.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
@Vatusus said:

Pretty sure people would still buy consoles, even if they could all be played on one system.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Vatusus said:

MS didn't announce play anywhere until 2015, not everyone fully knew about or grasps MS's change until much later so that may be the reason it's ONLY 39 M!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Pedro

@tgob89 said:

MS didn't announce play anywhere until 2015, not everyone fully knew about or grasps MS's change until much later so that may be the reason it's ONLY 39 M!

So you are trying to imply that they sold most of that 39 million prior 2015. Ok buddy....

It maybe best to say you didn't grasp the change until much later.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@Pedro said:
@tgob89 said:

So you are trying to imply that they sold most of that 39 million prior 2015. Ok buddy....

It maybe best to say you didn't grasp the change until much later.

I didn't buy a xbone because I already knew it was a dead end system.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts

@Vatusus said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Telekill said:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Creator/SonyPicturesTelevision

Or are you telling me those movies and tv shows from Sony Pictures only work on Sony TVs and Sony bluray players?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#77 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts
@Vatusus said:

Herms hate them too, apparently. Meanwhile, sheep and cows are like "meh. We see why they exist."

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#78 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Every time this comes up, why there has to be exclusitivity, I just say Sonic. We'd never have Sonic had it not been for Sega needing to have a reason to sell the Genesis against the Super Nintendo. Exclusitivity breeds creativity.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#79 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts
@getyeryayasout said:

Sounds like the kind of thing I'd say if my favorite company wasn't putting out exclusives.

Exactly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Vatusus said:

Pretty sure people would still buy consoles, even if they could all be played on one system.

I can only speak by personal experience, but if Sony hadnt had DMC1 as an exclusive back in the PS2 days I probably wouldnt be a PS fan now. It was an exclusive that made me buy their system. Before I only played PC. Since then, due to continuous exclusivity support from Sony with games that fit my tastes, I've been a PS supporter throughout my entire gaming life

I'm pretty sure my story isnt unique. What do you think made people start buying the original Xbox? Halo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@pc_rocks said:
@Vatusus said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Telekill said:

Or are you telling me those movies and tv shows from Sony Pictures only work on Sony TVs and Sony bluray players?

Sony Pictures and Sony the Hardware manufacturer are independant entities. Sony entertainment i.e. all related to gaming (games AND hardware) is one same entity

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Ughhh...not this stupid shit again.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
@Vatusus said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Vatusus said:

I can only speak by personal experience, but if Sony hadnt had DMC1 as an exclusive back in the PS2 days I probably wouldnt be a PS fan now. It was an exclusive that made me buy their system. Before I only played PC. Since then, due to continuous exclusivity support from Sony with games that fit my tastes, I've been a PS supporter throughout my entire gaming life

I'm pretty sure my story isnt unique. What do you think made people start buying the original Xbox? Halo

I know people that just prefer the simplicity of consoles, and the upfront lesser costs. Of course people would still buy them. Perhaps not as much, but some people certainly would.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

Someone has never been exposed to the Corporate world. It's business, and truly no company is pro consumer, they are all pro profit. Exclusive games sell consoles, just like Spider-Man being the fastest selling Sony game to date, and God of War winning GOTY (also selling millions)has made Sony lots of money this year.

I really can't see companies like Nintendo shelling out Mario to other consoles when Odyssey literally moved switch units. A for-profit buisness doesn't care if one person doesn't want to spend $200+ bucks for a console when exclusives make them money.

If you want to play, you have to pay- This pretty much applies for most things in life.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

They're only bad for the industry if they're a Nintendo exclusive cause the hardware will always be shit thus the games will only be a shadow of the developers vision.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Pedro

@JustPlainLucas said:

Every time this comes up, why there has to be exclusitivity, I just say Sonic. We'd never have Sonic had it not been for Sega needing to have a reason to sell the Genesis against the Super Nintendo. Exclusitivity breeds creativity.

Such a loaded statement with no proof to back the claim. There has been more creativity in the indie segment than in the generic triple A games. One of these days people would finally grasp the simple concept that games compete with games not systems.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Pedro

@rmiller365 said:

Someone has never been exposed to the Corporate world. It's business, and truly no company is pro consumer, they are all pro profit. Exclusive games sell consoles, just like Spider-Man being the fastest selling Sony game to date, and God of War winning GOTY (also selling millions)has made Sony lots of money this year.

I really can't see companies like Nintendo shelling out Mario to other consoles when Odyssey literally moved switch units. A for-profit buisness doesn't care if one person doesn't want to spend $200+ bucks for a console when exclusives make them money.

If you want to play, you have to pay- This pretty much applies for most things in life.

So your argument is that limiting the platform in which a game can be sold increases the number of game units that can be sold? Then why are the best selling games on the PS4 and Xbox are multiplatform games in total and on the specific systems.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#89 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

What is so anticonsumer about producing software that is tailored to the design and features of your system? I'd love for someone to explain this.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

@Pedro: No, like I already said, Exclusives sell consoles ie: Spiderman ps4 bundles selling out on black Friday, people buying switches for Smash and Mario. Those wouldn't sell nearly as well if they forked over internally developed games to competition.

Companies selling products don't care about a few jelly people on the internet crying about "needing" to buy a product they are selling because they want part of said product.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts

@Vatusus said:
@pc_rocks said:
@Vatusus said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Telekill said:

Sony Pictures and Sony the Hardware manufacturer are independant entities. Sony entertainment i.e. all related to gaming (games AND hardware) is one same entity

And yet Xbox division and Windows division being the separate entities still publish games on Windows and PC. Xbox is again a separate division than Cloud division yet xCloud will make use of Xbox hardware and services .

If a company thinks publishing content to other devices would hurt its bottom line as in the case of Sony Pictures and Sony's TV and bluray divisions, you can bet you a$$ they will try to block it or make it available to everything else- the other way around regardless if they are separate divisions. It's directly tied to your original argument: I dont see neither Samsung or Sony funding their own TV shows to drive TV sales

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#92 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Good for these company's, bad for the consumers.

I agree TC, I would like to play my Zelda Spiderman and gears of war all on the same box, anyone who says otherwise has corrupted thier brain with fanboyism. This is system wars of coarse so you should expect rabid fanboyism. They will cling to thier pieces of plastic while criticizing other pieces of plastic, that play 95% of the same games on thier piece of plastic.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Pedro said:
@BassMan said:

@Xplode_games: This is actually the best thread you have ever made. I agree that exclusives suck and we should not have to waste money on a console that we have no interest in just to get access to exclusives.

That's why the Xbox Play Anywhere is a step in the right direction. If you want to play on PC/console you can with the price of one purchase. :)

Exclusives sucks because the xbox one has non.

Didn't see you any of you 2 attacking exclusives when the 360 was getting good exclusives and MS was paying even 3rd parties for them like Bioshock,mass effect and others.

Exclusivity is a selling point the xbox one loss its soul on a deal that only really benefit PC which still has tons of exclusive the xbox one doesn't have.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Trip Hawkens, tried this with the 3DO, business plan. I think it was premature and the reason it failed but I'm feeling we're closing in on the right time for it to be tried again. Still probably a good ten years out before it's really tried again with plenty of muscle and cooperation behind it. I do think eventually it will happen and will be great for hardware, software manufacturers and gamers alike however not so much for fanboys but who give a rats azz about those knuckleheads. lol :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5c203f71675ff
deactivated-5c203f71675ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By deactivated-5c203f71675ff
Member since 2018 • 231 Posts

Exclusives are one of the reasons Nintendo's and Sony's consoles sell. They give those platforms identity and are a competitive way of differentiate themselves from the others. So, no, exclusives are not anti consumer, neither are bad for the industry, you're only saying that because the Xbox has no worthwhile exclusives.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#96  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

All I'll say is that exclusives are the main reason I buy consoles at all. It's directly the reason I DON'T own an XBox this generation. I don't have any weird MS hate. They just gave me no reason to buy their product. So... I don't know you want to call that bad for,the industry or not. But it is what it is, and it definitely lost them a sale on my part.

Edit - I know the graphics whores won't get this, but the Switch is the only one that gave me a HARDWARE based reason to buy the console. I have a PS4 because of its exclusives, and a Switch because of exclusives and also the unique gaming options it offers for multiplats (and yes, I count indies. Indies rule)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Pedro

@tormentos: My response continues to trouble you even when you have no counter point.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#98 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

Exclusives sell systems, they aren't good for developers and consumers, though.

@Xplode_games said:

Xbox is sh!t because they don't have exclusives right? Well now MS has bought a bunch of studios and are buying more and they will have a bunch of exclusives.

I was under the impression that A.) MS-produced games will be released on PC and Xbox from this point forward, and B.) if the developer wants to produce for other platforms, they can.

@uninspiredcup said:

As pc users I can't use that word, and am thus forced to watch silently in envy, bitterness quietly growing, ready to explode.

I know, the exclusive-envy is so bad. Also the penis-envy, because you know, the more exclusives the more bro-tastic you are, and the more bro-tastic you are, the bigger your penis.

Oh us poor simpletons on PC have no exclus---

sorry I can't even finish that sentence haha.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#99 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

@briguyb13 said:

Exclusives sell systems, period.

and is that pro-consumer ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c203f71675ff
deactivated-5c203f71675ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By deactivated-5c203f71675ff
Member since 2018 • 231 Posts

@the_master_race: yes. It makes the console makers develop better games and struggle to capture the consumers attention, exclusives drive competition. It's the sole reason why we have the amazing ps4 and switch exclusives and why Microsoft is struggling to make their services relevant.