Iwata. The WiiU is not in good shape.

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Iwata bascially admitted today that the WiiU is a massive failure.I hope they actually try something else besides a price drop before they get rid of the console for good.He also talked about rebuilding nintendo and how the wiiu's failure will be considered during this rebuilding process.

More can be found in this link

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/01/satoru_iwata_admits_the_wii_u_isnt_in_good_shape_ahead_of_investor_briefing

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

He's not wrong. Very observant of him.

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

If the whole goddamn console is based on a tablet fad, with an online network structure unacceptable by 2006 standards, then yes...you fucked up. I wonder what kind of senile vegetables run the idea-board. They being out of touch is not even funny anymore. It's like you have to buy an ugly tumor to enjoy Mario Kart 9.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

It's hard to go back after already making it dropping the whole console would back-stab it's fans and those that have supported it already. Though going for a gimmick was never a good idea, not realizing they just got lucky last generation is pretty damn ignorant to be quite honest. The Wii's selling point, the controllers played horribly for most of the games. ( that twilight princess x_x )

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

At least he's honest.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I hope they can make it work. I love the gamepad. Would hate not being able to play more games on it.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

No shit..haha

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#8 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

That's an amusing admission. That's like the pope releasing a statement that he has realized he is Roman Catholic. As if that's news.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@CWEBB04z said:

At least he's honest.

yeah. that's admirable.

can't be easy to stand up and deliver news like this. especially when the news is a result of your work outputs.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

So basically nobody at Nintendo is going to take responsibility for this clusterfuck. Not only that but all the idiots are still on the payroll. Must be nice to work for Nintendo and just do dumb shit and still keep your job.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Please understand. Iwata is needed right now because only a man who can commit such a phenomenal balls up can truly understand one.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 super600  Moderator

@Joedgabe said:

It's hard to go back after already making it dropping the whole console would back-stab it's fans and those that have supported it already. Though going for a gimmick was never a good idea, not realizing they just got lucky last generation is pretty damn ignorant to be quite honest. The Wii's selling point, the controllers played horribly for most of the games. ( that twilight princess x_x )

They probably have to go back to something that is as simple as the Wii, but takes some ideas from their competitiors, but they can not copy everything their competitors do. They probably have some things planned to fix the current market situation with the WiiU before they drop the console.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Honestly the best thing they could do is admit defeat and relaunch a console more powerful than the PS4/XB1, that would set a cat amongst the pigeons in the console war lol

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@no-scope-AK47 said:

So basically nobody at Nintendo is going to take responsibility for this clusterfuck. Not only that but all the idiots are still on the payroll. Must be nice to work for Nintendo and just do dumb shit and still keep your job.

Well, the executives are cutting their pay by 30-50%, so that's something.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@super600: yea, i'm pretty sure dropping the console it's still far off.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I wonder how the sheep will spin this.

"it's great that the wii has poor sales and is failing massively. I always wanted that. Nobody buys a Nintendo console for it to be a success. This is more exclusive"

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@no-scope-AK47 said:

Because that's how you foster a creative work environment right, fire people as soon as an idea does badly.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 super600  Moderator

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Honestly the best thing they could do is admit defeat and relaunch a console more powerful than the PS4/XB1, that would set a cat amongst the pigeons in the console war lol

I don't think releasing a console that is as strong as those consoles will fix nintendo's problems. Nintendo has to make a console that is simple and easy to understand like the Wii and is fun, but they have to look at some of the current or future market trends while doing this. They also have to expand their company.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 no-scope-AK47

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

That is a slap on the wrist and it's temporary. The same idiots are in charge and they are suddenly going to fix the problems. Any normal company would clean house and hire some ass kickers and fresh eyes. Clearly Nintendo is asleep at the wheel here. You can't fix stupid all stupid can do is follow orders not call plays.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

Why is this guy still employed? He done fucked up way too many times already. A salary cut is not fixing the problem. IWATA IS THE PROBLEM! New management is needed. Nintendo cannot change and hope to prosper with this guy calling the shots. Guy has a long track record of broken promises. Time to cut him lose!

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PurpleMan5000

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

That is a slap on the wrist and it's temporary. The same idiots are in charge and they are suddenly going to fix the problems. Any normal company would clean house and hire some ass kickers and fresh eyes. Clearly Nintendo is asleep at the wheel here. You can't fix stupid all stupid can do is follow orders not call plays.

They did the same thing when it looked like the 3DS was dead in the water, and it is doing very well, now. I think Nintendo owes this group a little bit of time to at least attempt to turn around the Wii U, as well. Iwata was CEO for the DS, Wii, and 3DS, 3 of Nintendo's best selling machines ever created. Nintendo might not put out what you would like to see, but they do remarkably well for a company that only makes video games and consoles.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Please understand.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

They wouldn't gain much from doing that.

Multiplats wouldn't look any better(lol lazy devs) and Nintendo's first party has never been around graphics

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PurpleMan5000

@MonsieurX said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

They wouldn't gain much from doing that.

Multiplats wouldn't look any better(lol lazy devs) and Nintendo's first party has never been around graphics

Yeah, I'm not paying $500 for a machine to play Nintendo exclusives on.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

While an obvious admission, he was hinting at this many times without saying it. It's pretty much another day for the WiiU.

Iwata would never say that something is outright bad unless there is nothing he can do to really hide it. He had an excuse with Mario (and still kind of does with MK but the strategy of new renditions of old popular games selling systems has not worked so far) but now he doesn't.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 no-scope-AK47

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

They did the same thing when it looked like the 3DS was dead in the water, and it is doing very well, now. I think Nintendo owes this group a little bit of time to at least attempt to turn around the Wii U, as well. Iwata was CEO for the DS, Wii, and 3DS, 3 of Nintendo's best selling machines ever created. Nintendo might not put out what you would like to see, but they do remarkably well for a company that only makes video games and consoles.

Not my company they can have all the chances they want. The wii was pure luck IMO a gimmick with under powered hardware and no 3rd party support and crappy online was a hit.

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts

I am going to wait and see what they have in store of E3 2014, if nothing big or new shows up, then they will lose the one thing that could save the Wii U: Software.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

I better see something at that investor meeting or the Direct soon after that Nintendo! :P

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#30 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Wii U will be fine. :)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Did he actually say the word "Failure" ?

PR department must be facepalming itself.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By no-scope-AK47

@Lulu_Lulu said:

So the wii u had the desired outcome and is a what slightly delayed success story ??

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@no-scope-AK47: It also had a simple message and a game that sold you on it. Sony learned just how effective a simple message was, and created the whole "for the gamers" lie as the marketing slogan for the PS4. No gimmicks, nothing new except prettier graphics, and we will not screw you over willingly (does not mention they won't stop 3rd party publishers from spying on you).

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#35 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

The tablet controller didn't capture the imagination, like the motion controls. I did own one at launch and that tablet controller was a great controller imo. But why did they believe they would keep getting 3rd party support, when the other two consoles were going to move up in power? They didn't get 3rd party with Wii alongside ps3/360; there was no reason to believe it would be any different when new consoles were announced.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ no-scope-AK47

I know nothing about that, I'm just shocked he said the word "Failure" specifically. I don't care if they're liquidating your assets in the background, never say "failure". If I was him, the word wouldn't even exist to me.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

When i was saying again and again that they were promoting CONTROLER way more than HARDWARE ... some sheeps went crazy. Play the controller now...

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@Joedgabe said:

Exactly ...

In the same "trap" M$ felt as well. Thats why X1 isnt getting the attention many thought ... They wanted to make something between Wii and PS3 for next gen. Something that will offer gimmick controls , will be powerful enough to play 3rd party titles and all the internet and multimedia options. It ended doing everything ..but just decent.

Gimmick controls are ok but not for too long. Wii died prematurely for that specific reason ... Not many games , not good hardware to keep up and people got bored. Why the hell they thought Wii U would work ? A god knows.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

As observant as ever. Thanks for the report, Iwata.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By no-scope-AK47

@hiphops_savior said:

@no-scope-AK47: It also had a simple message and a game that sold you on it. Sony learned just how effective a simple message was, and created the whole "for the gamers" lie as the marketing slogan for the PS4. No gimmicks, nothing new except prettier graphics, and we will not screw you over willingly (does not mention they won't stop 3rd party publishers from spying on you).

All these guys want is your money Nintendo just does a piss poor job making me open my wallet. Nothing sexy about the wii no new graphics or online or social features or services. Not even 3rd party support the bare minimum for a next gen console that is going to last me 5 years.

Yes Sony and M$ are greedy mega corps but they are giving me at least giving value for my console dollar. Sony just happens to offer the best value for my gaming dollar. I have no personal favorite in this console race I pick whoever gives best value for my money.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

THis is part of why I will not get a Wii U. I don't want to buy one just to have it get discontinued.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

If the tablet controller is so great, why aren't people rushing out to buy the WiiU? The tablet controller is actually the reason I will not buy the WiiU. Sick of gimmicky shit being forced on me and not simply an option. If it sold standard with the pro controller I most probably would have bought one, but now it is dead in the water and only a miracle will make me buy one.

It is underpowered and has no games that strike my interest at all. Add to that a tiny HDD that is completely worthless and a controller that I don't want...nice job Nintendo.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Took them a year to say it.
I heard he took salary drop in order to save Nintendo some money.
With the money from Wii, am sure he can afford to.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#44 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Wow those are some strong words but at least he hasn't hided from it.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#45 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

They haven't been able to turn it around like the 3DS so far. The gamepad is a great idea, it's just lacking a lot. The whole system needs more support.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

lol TC translated not in good shape to massive failure. XD

But still yeah, things are looking bad. Obviously.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#47  Edited By ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

All it needs is games. You can't launch a console with 4 games....

So much focus on 3ds, and none on wii u.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By super600  Moderator

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Not in good shape can be interpreted as massive failure or struggling badly

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Gamepad-less Wii U (with pro controllers) & price drop on the way. :P