deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

"Last month, well-known hacker and modder Lance McDonald suggested that in a few years, PS4 players might not be able to play PS4 games offline when the CMOS battery inside the console dies. Fast forward a few weeks and a Twitter user has now posted proof that this is indeed the case."

https://wccftech.com/ps4-no-offline-games-cmos/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44063 Posts

They're not know worldwide as Phony, the one and only, for nuttin ya know. :P

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58952 Posts

This phony naystation whore mostly collects dust anyways.

We gots the emulators. Worry not.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

It's why I buy physical games whenever possible. Every other platform is the same. You're buying a license to play the game that can be revoked at any time.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3541 Posts

Oh great another thread where the alts get together and have a circle jerk over not-news.

If having to be online to play is so bad, what does that mean for Gamepass? Trying to understand this braindead logic of hating one thing for it while ignoring it on another.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

Yikes!

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

@Telekill: Yeah but according to this you won't be able to play physical without connecting to the servers too.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

best stock up on CR232s then

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Telekill

@ghost_of_phobos: On some games (those with an online aspect), this was already known. Games like Destiny, For Honor, etc... They're all dead eventually.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@ghost_of_phobos: You can already play games without a online connection (unless it's an online only game, aka destiny) so what exactly are you talking about?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20104 Posts

This means any online game because the internal clock isn't in sync with the server clock. The server will reject any communication that has bad timestamps.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46282 Posts

Luckily the PS4 pro is so pro that it doesn't have this battery.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

Maybe i missed it in the tweets: but what would happen if someone just corrected the time on the Ps4 manually?

quick someone send me a PS4 and some PS4 games...for science. er yeah thats it.

Things on computers can get very messy when the clock is screwed up and/or the CMOS has crapped out. I thought my PC was completely dead because the CMOS battery decided it had enough.

Did sony make it easy to replace on the PS4? on the PS5 it appears they did not. it requires quite a bit of digging.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#15 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

Okay, we need clearer f***ing titles in our threads.

Anyway... yikes! Sony just killed the PS4 as a future retro console...

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

Let me get this straight ... hardware failure results in your console not working anymore?

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Are XBOX gamers renting their games if the power lead stops working?

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness said:

Let me get this straight ... hardware failure results in your console not working anymore?

Not sure if I would classify this as a hardware failure though...

I think people's beef with this is that once the CMOS battery is replaced the console needs to connect online to allow you to play your games again (If I understood correctly). And there's no telling how long those servers will keep working.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@vfighter: @Zero_epyon: @Telekill: no - read the article.

You cannot play offline games offline when the cmos goes, and that inculded testing with a disc game. You can play offline games when online, however - because the drm check can be completed.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Telekill

@xantufrog: There's ways around it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xantufrog  Moderator

@Telekill: what are they? Not that I expect my PS4 to last forever

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6865 Posts

Couldn't you just buy another PS4?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@silentchief: well, it would be much cheaper to replace the CMOS battery, lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-62852ef1135c6
deactivated-62852ef1135c6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-62852ef1135c6
Member since 2021 • 1322 Posts

Well, no PS4 will last forever, obviously.

That being said, my PS1/2/3 are all still functioning perfectly. If they had the same component, would it have failed by now?

That being said: PC. Worries over.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

@xantufrog said:

You cannot play offline games offline when the cmos goes, and that inculded testing with a disc game. You can play offline games when online, however - because the drm check can be completed.

So what's stopping me right now from taking my PS4 offline and playing games? Is it because the PS4 will hit some error when the battery goes dead?

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lebanese_boy

@Chutebox said:

So what's stopping me right now from taking my PS4 offline and playing games? Is it because the PS4 will hit some error when the battery goes dead?

That is the heart of the issue, yes.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zero_epyon

@xantufrog said:

right that's what I meant. The DRM process is online, not on dics, so whatever external process that handles it will fail because the timestamps are invalid.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Has anyone checked to see if this shit is the PS5s?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#29 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69470 Posts

@xantufrog said:

The poor lads are shooked, so you need to give them some time for the information to settle. 😂🤣

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

You won't be able to play online games when the servers go down? lol... some news.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#31  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

LOL, CMOS batteries. That's quite a blast from the past.

For the less tech-literate people here, CMOS is a small memory chip that stores your BIOS settings, including system clock, and needs a constant flow of very small amount of electricity to maintain. A common way PC builders used to reset BIOS settings was to remove the CMOS battery and put it back in.

So yeah, once the battery dies, you lose your BIOS settings and your console can't boot up properly. Digital or physical games, doesn't matter, you're bricked. Usually you have the option to reset to factory settings, but as long as the battery is dead, it won't remember those settings and you'll have to do it again the next time you boot it up. The wiped system clock is trickier to solve, but syncing with an online server usually fixes that. Again, once you turn off the console, however, you'll have to sync your clock all over again. The only way to fix this permanently is to replace the CMOS battery.

These days, BIOS settings are usually stored in Flash memory, which doesn't need a battery to maintain, so the CMOS is very much an obsolete tech.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pedro  Online

@madrocketeer: If I recall correctly, the CMOS simply stores settings. If the battery is dead, it cannot save the settings which would translate to simply the settings not saving and return to defaults each boot. I am not sure I get why the system would not be able to play games without the CMOS battery, unless it is a DRM thing which is kind of dumb especially for physical games.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By madrocketeer
@Pedro said:

@madrocketeer: If I recall correctly, the CMOS simply stores settings. If the battery is dead, it cannot save the settings which would translate to simply the settings not saving and return to defaults each boot. I am not sure I get why the system would not be able to play games without the CMOS battery, unless it is a DRM thing which is kind of dumb especially for physical games.

Yes, your hardware usually resets back to factory settings stored in the BIOS when you boot it up without the CMOS settings, but it depends on whether the hardware manufacturer accounted for that option. I haven't looked at this specific case in detail, but that's what usually happens.

The trickier part is that your CMOS also stores your system clock setting, which factory settings do not account for. You either have to set it yourself or sync with an online server. It depends on how much of your console's functions depends on that system clock. For most PCs, this is little more than a nuisance where you just have to boot up the OS and manually reset the clock. Consoles, being much more streamlined and closed systems, might be different.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pedro  Online

@madrocketeer said:

Yes, your hardware usually resets back to factory settings stored in the BIOS when you boot it up without the CMOS settings, but it depends on whether the hardware manufacturer accounted for that option. I haven't looked at this specific case in detail, but that's what usually happens.

The trickier part is that your CMOS also stores your system clock setting, which the factory settings does not account for. You either have to set it yourself or sync with an online server. It depends on how much of your console's functions depends on that system clock. For most PCs, this is little more than a nuisance where you just have to boot up the OS and manually reset the clock. Consoles, being much more streamlined and closed systems, might be different.

I booted up my older systems and it just needed me to manually set the clock and that was about it. It is very odd that it would prevent games from functioning.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 madrocketeer
@Pedro said:

I booted up my older systems and it just needed me to manually set the clock and that was about it. It is very odd that it would prevent games from functioning.

Yeah, that's what is usually supposed to happen, though it won't remember your settings until you replace the CMOS battery.

The PS4 seems to function a bit differently. Maybe it's DRM or some software oversight. Again, it depends on which and how much parts of the PS4's systems depend on a correct system clock.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zero_epyon

@Pedro said:
@madrocketeer said:

The trickier part is that your CMOS also stores your system clock setting, which the factory settings does not account for. You either have to set it yourself or sync with an online server. It depends on how much of your console's functions depends on that system clock. For most PCs, this is little more than a nuisance where you just have to boot up the OS and manually reset the clock. Consoles, being much more streamlined and closed systems, might be different.

It's not a mystery at all. The PS4 seems to have an internal clock that runs independently from the OS clock. Sony must have done this to prevent a user from being able to access content behind a time barrier. The DRM system relies on the internal clock that users can't manipulate. If the battery dies, then the clock is off and the DRM auto rejects based on that.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 madrocketeer
@Zero_epyon said:

It's not a mystery at all. The PS4 seems to have an internal clock that runs independently from the OS clock. Sony must have done this to prevent a user from being able to access content behind a time barrier. The DRM system relies on the internal clock that users can't manipulate. If the battery dies, then the clock is off and the DRM auto rejects based on that.

Yup, that seems to be the most likely issue here. I just hesitate to be so certain without a full technical review.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zero_epyon

@Zero_epyon said:
@xantufrog said:

right that's what I meant. The DRM process is online, not on dics, so whatever external process that handles it will fail because the timestamps are invalid.

Just read what I wrote and that didn't really make sense lol. I was trying to reply while I was working. Don't recommend it.

Like I said to Pedro, internally, it tries to check the date and gets a bad one which will fail the process. If it works online, it's because it's not looking at the system time and instead the time on the request itself if the internal drm fails for whatever reason. In this case, a bad battery.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zero_epyon

@madrocketeer said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Yup, that seems to be the most likely issue here. I just hesitate to be so certain without a full technical review.

Yeah the solution is to replace the battery then hopefully get the time synced after connecting to PSN.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Didn't even know consoles used CMOS batteries. I don't think any of the Xbox consoles do... Do they?

I've opened a few up and don't remember seeing one.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 xantufrog  Moderator

@HalcyonScarlet: the Dreamcast does at least, lol. Kickin' it old school.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Zero_epyon

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Didn't even know consoles used CMOS batteries. I don't think any of the Xbox consoles do... Do they?

Xbox doesn't use batteries. I think they use capacitors instead. I remember there was a big deal about the clock capacitors being faulty with the original Xbox which could leak and damage the system. I'm sure they're still using capacitors and they're much better quality.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Xbox doesn't use batteries. I think they use capacitors instead. I remember there was a big deal about the clock capacitors being faulty with the original Xbox which could leak and damage the system. I'm sure they're still using capacitors and they're much better quality.

Yeah, the capacitor in the original Xbox will get damaged. But all that means is that if you unplug it from the mains, the time and date reset. Otherwise there's no issue playing it.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Zero_epyon

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Yeah, the capacitor in the original Xbox will get damaged. But all that means is that if you unplug it from the mains, the time and date reset. Otherwise there's no issue playing it.

Well yeah that's a different issue. Sony tied their DRM to it, which was a mistake.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 xantufrog  Moderator

@Zero_epyon: or planned obsolescence

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Cows are in denial.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#47 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@Zero_epyon said:

This means any online game because the internal clock isn't in sync with the server clock. The server will reject any communication that has bad timestamps.

Sounds like this. Easy fix by replacing the CMOS battery.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 VFighter

@Zero_epyon: So all that needs to be done is replace the cmos battery, I'm failing to see why this is the end of the world (like some are trying to make it out to be) unless I'm missing something?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 VFighter

@Zero_epyon: So all that needs to be done is replace the cmos battery, I'm failing to see why this is the end of the world (like some are trying to make it out to be) unless I'm missing something?

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lebanese_boy

@vfighter said:

If/when Sony shuts down servers for PS4 this could render those units with a dead battery obsolete (if true).