It isn't possible to truly capture how wonderful Undertale is-Gamespot 9/10

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

Review's link:

It would be a crime not to mention Undertale's soundtrack, which is loaded with beautiful bit-based melodies that blend perfectly with the action on-screen. Each boss gets its own theme song, which do a great job of enhancing their particular personality. These tracks in particular bring energy and vigor, putting you on the edge of your seat as you try to fight or befriend your opponent. Outside of battle, tracks set the appropriate mood, too, from the quirky jingle in Temmie Village, to somber melodies that build tension near the end of the game. Regardless of its retro style, Undertale's soundtrack has timeless appeal and is great at evoking emotions.

Without spoiling the many ways it will screw with your expectations, it isn't possible to truly capture how wonderful Undertale is. You wouldn't know it with a passing glance, but it's one of the most progressive and innovative RPGs to come in a long time, breaking down tradition for the sake of invention, with great success.

Credit

Tyler Hicks

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

It really isn't that great...

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts

As someone who usually dislikes indie games for being overrated pieces of low quality products that get a pass due to their "artistic integrity," I can without a doubt not say that for Undertale.

It has one of the best soundtracks in any games I've ever played, a cast of characters that you'll become easily attached to, a gameplay system that combines a social simulator aspect of engaging with enemies with a little bullet hell mini game to dodge enemy attacks, and a great plot that is affected by the choices you make within the game (where every little thing counts).

Everyone needs to play this game.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By UltimateImp

@SonicNextGen2 said:

As someone who usually dislikes indie games for being overrated pieces of low quality products that get a pass due to their "artistic integrity," I can without a doubt not say that for Undertale.

It has one of the best soundtracks in any games I've ever played, a cast of characters that you'll become easily attached to, a gameplay system that combines a social simulator aspect of engaging with enemies with a little bullet hell mini game to dodge enemy attacks, and a great plot that is affected by the choices you make within the game (where every little thing counts).

Everyone needs to play this game.

Well said, absolutely agree. My brother sat down as I was finishing the true ending. We kept on wiping our tears off of our cheeks, and pretending neither of us were crying. But the tears couldn't stop coming.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

I mean, it's one of the ugliest games I've ever seen, for sure. I'm not usually one to knock a game for graphics but holy shit is that game ugly.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

Undertale is obviously the only true GOTY.

Anyone who says otherwise is a soulless cuckold.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CountBleck12
@DarkLink77 said:

I mean, it's one of the ugliest games I've ever seen, for sure. I'm not usually one to knock a game for graphics but holy shit is that game ugly.

Thank you. It just fails at trying to look retro like other indie games out there.

As for the rest of the game, I don't see what's so breathtaking about the story because if anything, it ripped off Earthbound in a way. The characters aren't that good either so that alone makes me not care about them. You also get more punished for taking the genocide route because the creators have to punish you for killing off their beloved characters.

The only good thing about the game is the soundtrack.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@CountBleck12 said:
@DarkLink77 said:

Thank you. It just fails at trying to look retro like other indie games out there.

As for the rest of the game, I don't see what's so breathtaking about the story because if anything, it ripped off Earthbound in a way. The characters aren't that good either so that alone makes me not care about them. You also get more punished for taking the genocide route because the creators have to punish you for killing off their beloved characters.

The only good game about the game is the soundtrack.

Just calling it like I see it, man.

Haven't played the game yet, but the way it looks definitely does not make me want to.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

gamestop has become the worst review site i've seen now

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By UltimateImp

@darkangel115: Gamestop isn't a review site.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Indie games... the worse they look the better they are, allegedly. Bethesda would love to have released Fallout 4 as an indie game. It would be worshipped the whole world over by 'hipster' morons.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Yeah, i think Hotline Miami spoiled me on pixel games.

But if it's a deep RPG, i might pick it up.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

Indie games... the worse they look the better they are, allegedly. Bethesda would love to have released Fallout 4 as an indie game. It would be worshipped the whole world over by 'hipster' morons.

You never fail to make me laugh @blueinheaven. You're beginning to become my favorite poster behind @kinectthedots

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I aim to please.

@skelly34 said:
@blueinheaven said:

You never fail to make me laugh @blueinheaven. You're beginning to become my favorite poster behind @kinectthedots

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

Always hear about this Undertale. Can someone sum it up about why people keep talking about it?

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@ultimateimp said:

@darkangel115: Gamestop isn't a review site.

u know what i meant

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

better late than never I guess

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#18  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

It's easy to dislike Undertale if you haven't actually played the game. Too many ignorant posers on the internet as always.

Undertale has top writing, top music, and top gameplay (yes, in a game that initially appears to be JRPG-style). It is heavily inspired by Earthbound/Mother, and indeed Undertale's creator was behind the music in the Earthbound Halloween Hack.

DO NOT READ VIDEO COMMENTS, if you don't want spoilers:

Loading Video...

DO NOT READ VIDEO COMMENTS, if you don't want spoilers!

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 UltimateImp
@GhoX said:

It's easy to dislike Undertale if you haven't actually played the game. Too many ignorant posers on the internet as always.

Undertale has top writing, top music, and top gameplay (yes, in a game that initially appears to be JRPG-style). It is heavily inspired by Earthbound/Mother, and indeed Undertale's creator was behind the music in the Earthbound Halloween Hack.

DO NOT READ VIDEO COMMENTS, if you don't want spoilers:

Loading Video...

DO NOT READ VIDEO COMMENTS, if you don't want spoilers!

So true, ignorance is the fruit of the lazy.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
@DarkLink77 said:

Haven't played the game yet, but the way it looks definitely does not make me want to.

Shallow

Altivera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Altivera
Member since 2015 • 101 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@DarkLink77 said:

Shallow

have you played it?

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CountBleck12

@DarkLink77 said:

I played the game enough and I'd say I wouldn't recommend it. Another thing worth mentioning is that if you do take the genocide route till the end, it will **** up your saves so you'll never be able to get the normal endings.

If that's not a middle finger to the player, I don't know what is.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jg4xchamp

@altivera said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Shallow

have you played it?

No, I'm still of the opinion that's a shallow reason to not play a video game: It looks ugly. Dated and uninteresting maybe, eye gouging offensive? hardly. There are plenty of pretty games that weren't worth sitting through the tutorial, much less making it to the finish line, much less paying money for them.

Altivera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Altivera
Member since 2015 • 101 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:
@altivera said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Shallow

have you played it?

No, I'm still of the opinion that's a shallow reason to not play a video game. It looks ugly. Dated and uninteresting maybe, eye gouging offensive? hardly. There are plenty of pretty games that weren't worth sitting through the tutorial, much less making it to the finish line, much less paying money for them.

True.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#25 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

Ever since seeing that Dunkey vid, I've wanted to play it. Game looks wicked.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jg4xchamp

@drinkerofjuice said:

Ever since seeing that Dunkey vid, I've wanted to play it. Game looks wicked.

Bunnyhop's review sold me on the game, the idea of a jrpg where you can be pacifist sounds fucking rad. The earthbound comparisons are so shit though, it's another example of how poor most people are at articulating a detailed thought about anything (not putting this solely on gamers). I get the homages to Earthbound, but nothing about playing it or the story fits, the only thing that fits is superficial shit and the part where the story has meta moments and winks and nods at the player. I didn't know Earthbound had a monopoly on being meta with your story.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#27 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@lostrib said:

better late than never I guess

+1

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

I have a hard time getting into it, i find the story kinda boring, i didnt care for the weak humor much either and the combat is a little annoying. I feel i would have actually enjoyed the combat more if they had went with a more traditional turn based, the whole play this mini game is kinda silly every time you want to fight. Will try it again when i get a chance, but im not digging it at all.

I bought it because of the hype it received and people comparing it to Earthbound.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts

I have that game. Haven't played it in a while.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#30 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58982 Posts

Months after release with a half paragraph review.

Dat effort.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31  Edited By tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

smh what a lazy review...

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#32 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

It's a good game but reviews have blown it out of proportion. A 7 out of 10 is far more accurate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#33 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I need to play this sooner or later, I have heard nothing but good things about it.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

keep hearing about this game for the last couple of weeks but have no idea how the game really is.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

Its overwhelming postive on steam so it seems legit

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By UltimateImp

@mesome713: Well, if you don't find the gameplay fun, maybe you should give the story a watch instead? You're missing out on a really well made story here.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@ultimateimp: I spent a few hours reading through the story, but it didnt capture me or give me an urged to continue on. I also didnt care for the humor at all. I had a hard time liking anything about the game. Even the "cool" part where you have to travel though the levels and try not to fall though the floor was annoying after while. Was not a fan of the trial and error navigation.

Monsters are cool though, but that mini game combat people are calling ground breaking innovation is a bore. Every single time? Really? Its bad enough they have to use random battles, but to tack that on top is just "tacky" in my opinion. PC modders need to fix that beast.

I havnt gone back to it yet due to many other games im enjoying. Im honestly not sure i can recommend the game to classic RPG fans. Looking for a classic RPG to play?, tons available on the market that i would say are miles above Undertale. Or just rock out some of the many awesome modern RPGs. The game is cheap though for those that want to try it out, i say go for it, its what i did.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@FrozenLiquid said:

Always hear about this Undertale. Can someone sum it up about why people keep talking about it?

Charming game, funny writing, fun enough gameplay, cool music, something that will get plenty of smiles out of you if you happen to have a soul and it's just an all around great way to spend 10 bucks!

It's also way the **** overrated for what it actually is. This is most definitely a case of the hipsters rooting for the underdog. It's short, sweet and worth 10 dollars. That's about it.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23920 Posts
@FrozenLiquid said:

Goddamn, posting on this forum is such a hassle, such low quality code. Anyways,

• Being able to go through the entire game without killing anyone.
  • Game reacts to who you kill and who you dont. Dramatically affecting your path and how various locals treat you.
  • Good sense of humor.
  • C&C far superior to any BioWare RPG (which is a pretty low bar but still)
  • The Soundtrack
  • Some of the characters are very likeable (Toriel, the skeletons come to mind)
  • The branching out rivals, if not surpasses even most visual novels.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

Fine. FINE! I fucking bought the damn game. Man, can't stop hearing about this from every which way. Wasn't too keen on the presentation, but trailer looks interesting. We'll see......

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Fine. FINE! I fucking bought the damn game. Man, can't stop hearing about this from every which way. Wasn't too keen on the presentation, but trailer looks interesting. We'll see......

Yeah, i caved in right now too. That awesome song pushed me to the edge.. , and i was bored out of my mind with nothing els to do right now. I think i'll try going for a full playthrough and post about the game later.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58982 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

It's also way the **** overrated for what it actually is. This is most definitely a case of the hipsters rooting for the underdog. It's short, sweet and worth 10 dollars. That's about it.

In that context, this game (Undertale) is made by "1" singular person, compared to an equally praised AAA game, The Witcher 3, a game made by likely hundreds of individuals, with controls both readily apparent and inconceivably incompetent on almost every platform that are bordering on broken to the point it required an emergency patch, rooting for the underdog here seems quite deserved, tiumphant even.

Obviously not that triumphant as this review seems to almost begrudgingly exist, don't need to be Nostradamus to predict it will be The Witcher 3 walking away with RPG of the year.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

If you like Undertale, you probably also like LISA. This game defnitely draws from Earthbound, but in a very dark way.

Loading Video...

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

I keep hearing about this game. Is this a case of forum hipsters or it a legit good game?

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#46 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

@a-new-guardian said:

I keep hearing about this game. Is this a case of forum hipsters or it a legit good game?

If all you want is explosions and fancy graphical effects, this isn't for you. If you want an RPG that is actually fun and not just a 100 hour grind, this is a masterpiece. The game delivers one surprise after another.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Graphic king for sure

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Deserved.

drumjod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 drumjod
Member since 2005 • 855 Posts

Thanks for posting this topic, I'm seeing a lot of thought provoking responses. There seems to be a lot of backlash from people who have never played this game, so I created a new forum topic titled, "Undertale Review Controversy - How could this game earn a 9 in a professional Gamespot review?"

For those of you who actually played the game and genuinely didn't enjoy it, I completely respect that opinion and admit that this game is not for everyone. Hopefully that comes through in my post. It is a really interesting topic and it's explored in depth. To read the article, go to http://www.gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/undertale-review-controversy-how-could-this-game-e-32781985/

Feel free to post a response whether you enjoyed it or not or have any thoughts about what is said in the article.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@DarkLink77 said:

A Vita version is needed. Vita, the only system where you can enjoy ugly indie games without going blind.