Isn't it lame when the higher difficulties of a game are cheap? (GOW II related)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tegovoltio
Member since 2004 • 9280 Posts

I just played Titan mode and well.....GOW II is an awesome game but I really expected more out of the extra difficulties, for replay value.

I mean the really good extra difficulties are the ones that add new moves to the enemies/new enemies and more challenging AI, and make you take different actions etc....Not just get more damage and make less and have the enemies pound at you continuosly and such, that's just cheap. Don't you think?

This isn't a bash to GOW 2 it's more like all the games that pull that.

Also what games do you think have the more creative difficulty differences?
SkyRaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 SkyRaid
Member since 2004 • 2001 Posts
Yeah, it seems half assed. But most games are like that.
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts
Yes it is. I can't stand it when a game's difficulty just boosts your opponents stats or allow them to do superhuman things. Most sports games come to mind where at the highest difficulty the computer seems to be completely aware of every little detail, making it just plain frustrating, especially when your team's AI isn't improved as well.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts
I think it's more lame when higher difficulties force "you" to be cheap because of poor design.
tool_rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tool_rage
Member since 2005 • 756 Posts
definitely.
tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tegovoltio
I think it's more lame when higher difficulties force "you" to be cheap because of poor design.Panzer_Zwei
Explain.
ironwarrior2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ironwarrior2
Member since 2006 • 2590 Posts
How is it cheap?  If you were good at the game it wouldn't be a problem.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts
[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]I think it's more lame when higher difficulties force "you" to be cheap because of poor design.tegovoltio
Explain.

That you're forced to play in a cheap or certain focused manner that you're not fond of to get through the game. Example: God Hand in Hard. I could pretty much take on multiple enemies at the same time, only that since the camera angle can only be right in front of you, you just can't see the enemies beside, or behind you, and just 1 hit from them can potentially ruin your game, and many enemies have long range attacks. So pretty much you're forced to bring out 1 or 2 enemies at a time.
tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tegovoltio
How is it cheap? If you were good at the game it wouldn't be a problem.ironwarrior2
Because it's an cheap way to make the game harder.
xLegend24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 xLegend24
Member since 2007 • 814 Posts

Usually in higher difficulties all that happens is that you have less health and the enemy has more and do more damage. Most of the time AI never gets smarter.

BTW, God of War II on Titan is insanely difficult, so I used a Codebreaker. Go ahead, call me a cheater or whatever, I don't care. And besides It was a rental, so I was trying to unlock and beat everything as fast as I could. I'll tell you this, that Blade of Olympus maxed out kills pretty much kills everything in a few blows even on Titan difficulty. It's hella sick.

knufsed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 knufsed
Member since 2005 • 1073 Posts

I just played Titan mode and well.....GOW II is an awesome game but I really expected more out of the extra difficulties, for replay value.

I mean the really good extra difficulties are the ones that add new moves to the enemies/new enemies and more challenging AI, and make you take different actions etc....Not just get more damage and make less and have the enemies pound at you continuosly and such, that's just cheap. Don't you think?

This isn't a bash to GOW 2 it's more like all the games that pull that.

Also what games do you think have the more creative difficulty differences?tegovoltio

Well, to answer your last question..., the answer is- Ninja Gaiden. This game is probably the best  in the industry at doing just that. (Along with all the other major accomplishments that makes NG one of the best action games evah.)

Kaosed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kaosed
Member since 2006 • 3409 Posts
if u think that was easy try to beat geow in insane alone, its fun, but a pain in the ass
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts
if u think that was easy try to beat geow in insane alone, its fun, but a pain in the assKaosed
Thats a good example of how to do a game right, hard, but not unforgiving. When you die in Gears on insane you know exactly why, you were stupid and were out in the open running around like an idiot or something along those lines, not that the enemy is suddenly as strong as a tank or the smartest thing you've ever seen.
SergeantSnitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SergeantSnitch
Member since 2007 • 3692 Posts
To the TC, forget Titan mode.  It will knock years off your life man, no joke.  It's so cheap and lame I almost threw my controller at the tv.
wiistation360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wiistation360
Member since 2006 • 4209 Posts
i agree with you,but gow is my best game on the ps2 so far
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#16 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
how do yo uthink they make games hard?
tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tegovoltio
To the TC, forget Titan mode. It will knock years off your life man, no joke. It's so cheap and lame I almost threw my controller at the tv.SergeantSnitch
LOl, I just started and I'm feeling it. Though I'd like to know if the extras are worth it.
SergeantSnitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SergeantSnitch
Member since 2007 • 3692 Posts
[QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"]To the TC, forget Titan mode. It will knock years off your life man, no joke. It's so cheap and lame I almost threw my controller at the tv.tegovoltio
LOl, I just started and I'm feeling it. Though I'd like to know if the extras are worth it.

They aren't, seriously. Tell me when you get to the part where you fight Thesus (he's a mini-boss, the dude that spawns the minotaur things and hits the ground and blue spikes come up). If you can't defeat him after like 30 or so tries, give up. I haven't gotten past him and just thinking about other parts of the game later on, it's just not worth it.
azrealhk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 azrealhk
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts
Totally agree, CHEAP. Special monsters, or enemies that only appear in harder difficulties, extra weapons etc, would make any game more replayable. All they would have to do is to hold back some stuff in normal more.
tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tegovoltio
[QUOTE="tegovoltio"][QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"]To the TC, forget Titan mode. It will knock years off your life man, no joke. It's so cheap and lame I almost threw my controller at the tv.SergeantSnitch

They aren't, seriously. Tell me when you get to the part where you fight Thesus (he's a mini-boss, the dude that spawns the minotaur things and hits the ground and blue spikes come up). If you can't defeat him after like 30 or so tries, give up. I haven't gotten past him and just thinking about other parts of the game later on, it's just not worth it.

Lol, I know he's the one who is chanting some gibberish, yea I didn't even know he was a mini boss. Not there yet. [QUOTE="azrealhk"]Totally agree, CHEAP. Special monsters, or enemies that only appear in harder difficulties, extra weapons etc, would make any game more replayable. All they would have to do is to hold back some stuff in normal more.

how do yo uthink they make games hard?paullywog
Look at the above guy I quoted, that and make the enemies do some more than just bash at you.
Kaosed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kaosed
Member since 2006 • 3409 Posts

Yes it is. I can't stand it when a game's difficulty just boosts your opponents stats or allow them to do superhuman things. Most sports games come to mind where at the highest difficulty the computer seems to be completely aware of every little detail, making it just plain frustrating, especially when your team's AI isn't improved as well.pundog

yeah pretty much 

Japanese_Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Japanese_Monk
Member since 2006 • 1412 Posts
[QUOTE="SkyRaid"]Yeah, it seems half assed. But most games are like that.

agreed. Harder dificulty should just be the AI is smarter and you have to think a bit more to figure out a way to beat them. Not the usual more faster, stronger enemies. I would like them to do things they wouldnt in easy mode. Like talking cover, flanking, retreating, calling backup, or so on.
the1stmoonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 the1stmoonfly
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts
I completely agree, EA are the worst for this and Loat Planet on the 360 is a good example. NFS series is terrible, they make it hard by the rival cars sticking right behind you no matter what, even if you put the perment NOS cheat in you cant leave them, and then out of no where, on the very last corner of the race, a public vehicle sat right in your path and in your blind spot, BS man.