Is Wii too childish as compared to PS3 and XBOX?

• 141 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#51 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
No - The Wii is too different to compare to the PS3/360 - they offer vastly different types of experiences. I prefer the Wii, because I want quirky, new type of games like Zack and Wiki and Little King's Story - yeah, they have a 'childish' image to them but they really aren't 'kiddy' games.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23065 Posts
No - The Wii is too different to compare to the PS3/360 - they offer vastly different types of experiences. I prefer the Wii, because I want quirky, new type of games like Zack and Wiki and Little King's Story - yeah, they have a 'childish' image to them but they really aren't 'kiddy' games.Haziqonfire
Zack and Wiki was actually pretty difficult. I liked it quite a bit.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

Many of the high profile games on the HD consoles appeal most strongly to 12 year olds.

So no. I find the HD consoles a lot more annoying in that respect. There is nothing childish about stylized games, friendly approaches, or the decision of putting concept over cutscene.

Lothenon
This. Decapitations are not the pinnacle of maturity. You guys have to get this idea out of your head. Most games today are aimed at 12 year olds who will be like, "wow,I can tear someone's head off on screen, bestest most awesomest radicalest game evar!1!! There are way more kiddie games on 360 and PS3 than on the Wii imo. Bright colors and not hyper violent doesn't equal kiddie in my book.
Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12143 Posts

it depends on the average person, honestly I have found more immaturity(not just from kids but grown freaking men) on xbox live.

HGAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#55 HGAT
Member since 2008 • 1366 Posts

The thing that annoys me about Nintendo the most!!!!!! YetI buy there products, Would be the price for old technology inside their consoles &game prices.

I suppose the offset arguements to those two points would be theres never many games for nintendo consoles anyway and the consoles never break down and are good quality workmanship, unlike PS3 and Xbox 360 and they learnt there lesson of putting in the best technology in the N64 & GC and failing with those consoles.

I got to admit though Wii Fit is one of the best inventions this gen. You got to be a sadhater to not recognise the greatness of Wii Fit, give credit where credit is due.

Avatar image for dark-warmachine
dark-warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 dark-warmachine
Member since 2007 • 3476 Posts

These are the Wii's target audiences

It's too bad I don't fit in.

waqyum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 waqyum
Member since 2009 • 184 Posts

Why does Nintendo never consider improving graphics of its gaming consoles.

If the graphics will improve there will be no competitor for Nintendo.

Z0MBIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 Z0MBIES
Member since 2005 • 2246 Posts
Well, I just took a look at the most sold games for the Wii, and the other consoles (to get a feel of the average owner for each console), and I think its clear that the Wii is the most childish of the current consoles, sure there are a few mature games, but the Wii has far too many children's games to be considered Mature. Though I suppose you can always make the argument of "the console is what you make it."
Jamisonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Jamisonia
Member since 2009 • 896 Posts

The Wii's sales negate this idea that its target audience is only children. They're target audience is people who play or might want to play video games. The fact is the majority of gamers are not in the younger demographic, so if the Wii was for kids it would be selling the worst, not the best.

Jamisonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Jamisonia

Why does Nintendo never consider improving graphics of its gaming consoles.

If the graphics will improve there will be no competitor for Nintendo.

waqyum

This statement is shows complete ignorance of Nintendo's history. This is the first Nintendo console that wasn't on par graphically with the others, and this is the first generation where a minority of gamers (the so called hardcore) were more obsessed with graphics than gameplay.

Jamisonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Jamisonia

The majority of wii owners are kids.TR800

This is not true.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#62 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

dark-warmachine

So older people and elementary kids aren't allowed to play video games? At what age are you allowed to start playing and have to stop cause you get too old?

Cicatraz_ESP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Cicatraz_ESP
Member since 2006 • 1993 Posts

I dunno...I've played with 10 year olds over Xbox Live...

kingkui

I love when I get matched up against a party of 10-12 year olds on CoD4 or Halo 3, helps my kill to death ratio :P However, when I get put on a team with 10-12 year olds..... ugh. Half the time they loose interest and start either team killing or quitting.

And yes, I think the wii is the most childish console out besides maybe the ds. Doesn't mean I hate it, but I do think it is def. gears towards younger people (or grandmas :P)

Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Sonicplys
Member since 2004 • 2603 Posts

waqyum is childish compared to sonicplys. Wii da best.

Jamisonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Jamisonia

there's demographic studies that show that Wii players are on average more educated, more Wii owners have a Bachelors Degree than just a high school degree, but I guess those kids are going college earlier these days. It also shows the age demographic is pretty much evenly split, siding just a little bit with the younger demographic.

Source http://www.wiitalk.co.uk/forums/general-wii-discussion/14866-demographics.html

Avatar image for Dweedledude5000
Dweedledude5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Dweedledude5000
Member since 2009 • 198 Posts
wii needs a GTA game.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Prolly the most adult console out right now. I'm sorry, but blasting aliens with bald tough-guy one-liner space marines with smoker's lung is very childish.

Games like Wiifit, Wiisports, and Brain Age are the most adult games today.

menserman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 menserman
Member since 2009 • 218 Posts
Wii has terrible graphics when compared to PS3 and XBOX and still it sells as hotcakes. Which one you prefer the most among Wii XBOX and PS3? Is Wii suitable for teenagers?waqyum
buy it at walmart. there you will have 89 days to play it. on the 90th day if you dont like it .you can return it for a full cash refund. as long as the price doesnt drop in that time*i think* just wish i bought mine from walmart. i woulda returned it after the first month... **note to all and myself**never buy a system at gamestop
Z0MBIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Z0MBIES
Member since 2005 • 2246 Posts

there's demographic studies that show that Wii players are on average more educated, more Wii owners have a Bachelors Degree than just a high school degree, but I guess those kids are going college earlier these days. It also shows the age demographic is pretty much evenly split, siding just a little bit with the younger demographic.

Source http://www.wiitalk.co.uk/forums/general-wii-discussion/14866-demographics.html

Jamisonia

That demographic thing basically proves that the Wii is the most childish, considering its the most popular in the 3-17 age group, but it also shows that the other two are marketed towards poor people more heavily than the Wii, and poor people usually don't have as much of an education as rich people. Poor people are probably poor because they are wasting their money on PS3's...

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts
Time to put things in perspective. "You" spend your time pressing plastic buttons on plastic pads to move your oily muscled space marines who shoot monsters in the face while smoking cigars all to the sound of some generic metal track in the background that makes your ears bleed Whats mature about that? Yeah, videogames are toys that fulfill your childish dreams on a TV screen. They are all toys and by definition, they are all "childish"
Communistsheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Communistsheep
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

The wii does target younger people and more family friendly games, so yes it is childish from a certain aspect.

Communistsheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Communistsheep
[QUOTE="Thunderdrone"]Time to put things in perspective. "You" spend your time pressing plastic buttons on plastic pads to move your oily muscled space marines who shoot monsters in the face while smoking cigars all to the sound of some generic metal track in the background that makes your ears bleed Whats mature about that? Yeah, videogames are toys that fulfill your childish dreams on a TV screen. They are all toys and by definition, they are all "childish"

A game which does show profanity and gore is more directed at older audiences, 15 and up, it's up to the buyer to controll who plays it.
Communistsheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Communistsheep

[QUOTE="IIRS3II_H1TMAN"]In my opinion yes, the Wii is more childish than the Xbox and PS3, I can't see anyone being a hardcore gamer on the Wii.ActicEdge

Why not? What defines hardcore exactly?

you must not be a gamer, real gamers look past visuals and look at gameplay first,adman66
Real gamers take all factors when judging a game, not just gameplay. Graphics are one of them.
Communistsheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Communistsheep
you can tell that all the people who are bashing the wii for there 'kiddie games' are in there adolescent stages of life. they are bashing the wii because they want to be considered mature.jomachasandberg
So in your opinion, when a call a console which has games like party babyz, somewhat immature, i am a though guy who is trying to be immature`?
Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Thunderdrone
there's demographic studies that show that Wii players are on average more educated Jamisonia
Thats why i laugh whenever the forum basement dweller community calls casual gamers idiots and speak of the expanded audience like they are lowest common denominator. Its like a greasy nerd, frying chips at Mcdonalds, who laughs at a successful business man because he doesnt know what Dungeons and Dragons is. Who really fails at life here?
Communistsheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Communistsheep

Wii is a bit childish, but then it has these...

considered some of the most violent games this gen.

Nintend0-BuDDy

i don't see the wii childish at all. i see nintendo as the pixar of the gaming industry, they make child/cartoony looking games that are amazing and can be enjoyed by all. that takes something special to make something that applies to all audiences.

the 360/ps3 might have more adult feeling games, but games like gta4 and gears of war are just as childish as madworld. lot's of blood in a ridiculous over the top setting.

Mckenna1845

I see it as childish to a certain aspect, games like party babyz, mario and so on, are clearly targeted at a younger audience and family friendly ones, you can deny this but this is true. Gears and gta are to an extent because they are pure ridicule sometimes, but it's clear that when you see something with 18+ on it it was not directly mean for children.

Communistsheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Communistsheep
I don't think a console with violent exclusive games like RE4: Wii Edition, Madworld, No More Heroes, RE Umbrella Chronicles, etc., etc., is by any means "too childish".princeofshapeir
What about party babyz?
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#78 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

Which one you prefer the most among Wii XBOX and PS3? waqyum

Wii, but then again I'm a primary PC user with the Wii as a side console, so I'm a bit biased. And no, the exclusives on the other consoles or the "grafix" or whatever dont entice me enough to warrant a purchase of them.

Is Wii suitable for teenagers?waqyum

Last I checked I'm a teenager, so yes it is.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Thunderdrone
[QUOTE="Communistsheep"][QUOTE="Thunderdrone"]Time to put things in perspective. "You" spend your time pressing plastic buttons on plastic pads to move your oily muscled space marines who shoot monsters in the face while smoking cigars all to the sound of some generic metal track in the background that makes your ears bleed Whats mature about that? Yeah, videogames are toys that fulfill your childish dreams on a TV screen. They are all toys and by definition, they are all "childish"

A game which does show profanity and gore is more directed at older audiences, 15 and up, it's up to the buyer to controll who plays it.

Many adults also build miniature train stations their garage. Some buy Ferraries when mid-life crisis hits. They might be grown up, but these things happen because they want to escape to a child-like reality for a moment. Thats what videogames are to normal adults, thats what they should be.
Communistsheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Communistsheep

I am a teacher in a inner-city highschool. The most popular system among the students are the Xbox 360. Among the teachers the Wii is the most popular by far. After the Wii, more adults in my school own the PS3 then the 360. I am sure that if you go to really young age group the Wii probably becomes popular again but the reality is that the majority of the 360 owners (and to a lesser extent the PS3 owners) are school-aged. You go to a group of 14 year olds and the 360 rules supreme.

Really though, Wii Fit and Brain Training are much more "mature" titles then Halo 3 or God of War 3 despite what the rating on the box says.

AppleBlade

Yeah, because the thing that students want after school is to play more math after school!

Communistsheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Communistsheep
[QUOTE="Thunderdrone"][QUOTE="Communistsheep"][QUOTE="Thunderdrone"]Time to put things in perspective. "You" spend your time pressing plastic buttons on plastic pads to move your oily muscled space marines who shoot monsters in the face while smoking cigars all to the sound of some generic metal track in the background that makes your ears bleed Whats mature about that? Yeah, videogames are toys that fulfill your childish dreams on a TV screen. They are all toys and by definition, they are all "childish"

Many adults also build miniature train stations their garage. Some buy Ferraries when mid-life crisis hits. They might be grown up, but these things happen because they want to escape to a child-like reality for a moment. Thats what videogames are to normal adults, thats what they should be.

You don't get it, they were NOT targeted at smaller children, it's irrellevant if an adult plays x game.
Communistsheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Communistsheep

[QUOTE="dark-warmachine"]

Nuck81

So older people and elementary kids aren't allowed to play video games? At what age are you allowed to start playing and have to stop cause you get too old?

Prolly the most adult console out right now. I'm sorry, but blasting aliens with bald tough-guy one-liner space marines with smoker's lung is very childish.

Games like Wiifit, Wiisports, and Brain Age are the most adult games today.

goblaa

How are they adult, when the majority playing it a family friendly adiences? Brain age, we have a similar one too.

shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#83 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

Yes I find the Wii childish compared to the PS3 & Xbox 360.

Communistsheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Communistsheep

I don't think of the Wii as childish (I think it's more universal), but even if it was, why do you have to compare it to 360 and PS3? If those two fill the "hardcore" niche, what's wrong with a consoles that's not as "mature"? 360 and PS3 offer very similar experiences, so what's wrong with the Wii being a different experience?

Tragic_Kingdom7
I'm not calling it wrong because it's different, it's just somewhat childish. childish=/=wrong
Communistsheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Communistsheep

[QUOTE="Jamisonia"]

Z0MBIES

That demographic thing basically proves that the Wii is the most childish, considering its the most popular in the 3-17 age group, but it also shows that the other two are marketed towards poor people more heavily than the Wii, and poor people usually don't have as much of an education as rich people. Poor people are probably poor because they are wasting their money on PS3's...

Remember, you if you own a wii, you are a genius?
Communistsheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Communistsheep

Jamisonia
I would also wan't a non biased source.
Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Thunderdrone

You don't get it, they were NOT targeted at smaller children, it's irrellevant if an adult plays x game. Communistsheep

*facepalm

I give up. The PS360 are serious devices that deliver deep and life-redefining experiences, our lives should revolve around these god-like objects and only adults with an IQ over 120 should be allowed near these dream machines.

I will now stop reading Hamlet and go play GEARZ OF WARZ, because Shakespeare is shallow and underwhelming by comparsion and my mature mind craves for a deep and emotional trip only possible by the minds of geniouses like Cliffy B on a serious medium like videogames.

I pitty those low I.Q.ed kids and casualz playing Galaxy, watching movies and reading books. Simple pleasures for simple minds amirite?

Lothenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Lothenon
Member since 2003 • 1177 Posts

I regard a gamer who cannot play a game because it makes him feel insecure about his masculinity or maturity as significantly more "childish" than one who is open and relaxed about interactive entertainment applications.

Also, there is nothing mature about 99% of video games, regardless of platform.

So no. Playing Wii in 2008/2009 reminds me of the SNES days and why I even play video games in the first place. Playing X360 is entertaining on a more shallow, superficial level, and I have come to definatly prefer the Wii library.

Communistsheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Communistsheep
[QUOTE="Communistsheep"] You don't get it, they were NOT targeted at smaller children, it's irrellevant if an adult plays x game. Thunderdrone
*facepalm I give up. The PS360 are serious devices that deliver deep and life-redefining experiences, our lives should revolve around these god-like devices and only adults with an IQ over 120 should be allowed near these dream machines. I will now stop reading Hamlet and go play GEARZ OF WARZ, because Shakespeare is shallow and underwhelming by comparsion and my mature mind craves for a deep and emotional trip only possible by the minds of geniouses like Cliffy B. I pitty those low I.Q.ed kids and casualz playing Galaxy. Simple pleasures for simple minds amirite?

What has intelligence to do with gaming?
Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Thunderdrone
[QUOTE="Lothenon"] I regard a gamer who cannot play a game because it makes him feel insecure about his masculinity or maturity as significantly more "childish" than one who is open and relaxed about interactive entertainment applications. Also, there is nothing mature about 99% of video games, regardless of platform.

*ding ding ding Someone gets it (was losing hope here for a minute)
EddyPee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 EddyPee
Member since 2005 • 474 Posts

I regard a gamer who cannot play a game because it makes him feel insecure about his masculinity or maturity as significantly more "childish" than one who is open and relaxed about interactive entertainment applications.

So no. Playing Wii in 2008/2009 reminds me of the SNES days and why I even play video games in the first place. Playing X360 is entertaining on a more shallow, superficial level, and I have come to definatly prefer the Wii library.

Lothenon

Yup. There are very few actual mature games out there. It always makes me laugh whenever someone holds up a game like GTA as the pinnacle of maturity.

If you can't have fun playing games because you think they're childish, then you shouldn't game.

KonflicKa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 KonflicKa
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Not necessarily childish, just for casual gamers. That is the case for most games, not all though. I think it's more of a family oriented system.
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#93 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

In my opinion, yes.

NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#94 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

In my opinion, yes.

JasonDarksavior
Pfft dont call it opinion its FACT =P
aero250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 aero250
Member since 2009 • 3613 Posts
If you enjoy it then it's not childish.
CoralMark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 CoralMark
Member since 2008 • 481 Posts

Lothenon

Completely agree.

h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts
[QUOTE="CoralMark"]

[QUOTE="Lothenon"]

Completely agree.

so playing games on x360 and ps3 are more shallow and superficial? please explain this one.
CoralMark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 CoralMark
Member since 2008 • 481 Posts

IMO, majority of PS3/Xbox games are pretty immature [geared towards teens and just barely after] ... not exactly `mature entertainment' - whereas the Wii focuses on people of any age. Sorry, but most shooters are not aimed at people who are grown adults - and my experience says that the adults [25+] that have the HD consoles tend to be the more immature people I know.

IMO, Wii games are more like Tetris ... accessible and fun for anyone. PS-box games are more like porn - appeals mostly to a small demographic of people who think swearing makes you mature.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 deactivated-5e9044657a310

[QUOTE="Communistsheep"] You don't get it, they were NOT targeted at smaller children, it's irrellevant if an adult plays x game. Thunderdrone

*facepalm

I give up. The PS360 are serious devices that deliver deep and life-redefining experiences, our lives should revolve around these god-like objects and only adults with an IQ over 120 should be allowed near these dream machines.

I will now stop reading Hamlet and go play GEARZ OF WARZ, because Shakespeare is shallow and underwhelming by comparsion and my mature mind craves for a deep and emotional trip only possible by the minds of geniouses like Cliffy B on a serious medium like videogames.

I pitty those low I.Q.ed kids and casualz playing Galaxy, watching movies and reading books. Simple pleasures for simple minds amirite?

I wish there was an "I like this" button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Not necessarily childish, just for casual gamers. That is the case for most games, not all though. I think it's more of a family oriented system.KonflicKa
Do you not understand that you are explaining away your own argument? You said Wii is a more family oriented system. That means there are games on it that appeal to people of all ages, from Preteens all the way to Adults. Using your own logic that would mean 360 is only targeted to teenagers and young adults. Being a 27 year old man, I think of teenagers as kids. That would make 360 the kiddie system, NOT Wii. Besides 360 has Halo and GTA the two most casualized and dumbed down games on the market. Sounds pretty kiddie to me