Is the once-popular FPS fad coming to an end?

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

The biggest, most hyped titles in the genre have failed to achieve AAA status this year on GameSpot, and the heavily anticipated Rage also seemed to be somewhat of a let-down. And then there was Duke Nukem. :lol:

Does this mean the FPS storm is finally slowing down and getting old?

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

They'll die down just like sidescrollers.

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts
I wish it'd hurry up and die. Im sick of em >.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

we will all laugh about this fad being over when mw3 is the first game to break a billion in sales opening week.

you and i may not be interested in it much but there are crazy amounts of people who are.

box0rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 box0rocks
Member since 2008 • 1006 Posts

I don't think it's a matter of when it will die down, but rather when something else will take it's place.

I can't imagine what that next big genre will be, but once a game dev brings something that is as easy to get into as a COD match FPS will be replaced.

Whatever it will be, everyone will be sick of it later on anyways so why bother XD

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bigboi500

we will all laugh about this fad being over when mw3 is the first game to break a billion in sales opening week.

you and i may not be interested in it much but there are crazy amounts of people who are.

Riverwolf007

They'll still sell well...for now, but I'm wondering if the allure of free hotel rooms, trips to Vegas, free schwag and other undisclosed goodies can't persuade critics to give these hyped shooters AAA scores anymore, does that mean the quality is starting to take a serious dive? If so, even the most ardent fans of the genre will start to smell the stench.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Maybe, the question is, what will take the spot now.

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SW__Troll
Member since 2011 • 1687 Posts

They've been selling millions since the first ones ever emerged into the market, and they are still selling millions

It's not really a fad if it's lasted over eighteen years.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#9 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

I hope the pure MP shooters will die down. I love the genre, just give me more titles with compelling storytelling and a lengthy SP campaign.

DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DireOwl
Member since 2007 • 3352 Posts

I honestly don't see this "fad" ending. I actually think it's growing. These games are selling more with each installment.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Not yet. Gamers need their pew pew pew still. I think there is still some time, perhaps a few years where it will go strong.

More of the same kind of war shooter isn't going to help matters for FPS fans.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#12 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

FPS is my favourite genre, but a lot of shooters that come out these days are disposable and contribute next to nothing to the genre. There's still plenty of creativity to be found among FPS developers, it's just not backed by a billion-dollar hype machine that makes ads pop up on every website and does everything in its power to make sure reviewer shove the game down our throats.

So I'm all in for the death of this FPS fad, but that doesn't mean in any way that I want the genre itself to die, which kind of happened to the platforming genre this generation.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bigboi500

madsnakehhh

Point n click mysteries? :P

nitromuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nitromuffin
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts

i want more well done grand thefvt auto like games, open world adventure games, like gta and saints row

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SW__Troll

FPS is my favourite genre, but a lot of shooters that come out these days are disposable and contribute next to nothing to the genre. There's still plenty of creativity to be found among FPS developers, it's just not backed by a billion-dollar hype machine that makes ads pop up on every website and does everything in its power to make sure reviewer shove the game down our throats.

So I'm all in for the death of this FPS fad, but that doesn't mean in any way that I want the genre itself to die, which kind of happened to the platforming genre this generation.

DraugenCP

3D platformers definitely, but 2D platformers have made a huge return this generation, and surprisingly I would say the majority of them are PC titles now.

But all the consoles have a fair share of them.

gensigns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gensigns
Member since 2007 • 1495 Posts
Lol - 20 year old fad
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#17 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
If you count 9 million preorders as "dying down", then I wish I could make a game in a genre that is dying down.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#18 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Ha, you think the FPS genre is a fad. That's funny. :lol:

Don't be silly. The FPS genre is definitely not a fad and it will never die.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

No, FPS are increasing in popularity. Expect every second game being an FPS in the near future.

nitromuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nitromuffin
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts

No, FPS are increasing in popularity. Expect every second game being an FPS in the near future.

nameless12345
fps can be awesome games if done right, and probally the easiest game to make
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
Quality is going down but sales seem to be going up
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

The biggest, most hyped titles in the genre have failed to achieve AAA status this year on GameSpot, and the heavily anticipated Rage also seemed to be somewhat of a let-down. And then there was Duke Nukem. :lol:

Bigboi500

This isn't a fad, this genre has ben selling millions since Wolfenstein 3D. It really will never end, but st.yles might go down, like what happened with the sudden drop of the WW2 theme and height of the modern theme in this generation, or maybe arcade first person shooters will see a relevation and become popular.

Now pieces of rehashing crap like CoD are a totally different matter, those are destined to die out due to milkage. You can't milk a cow forever.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bigboi500

The_Game21x

As someone else pointed out, I'm also mainly referring to the military mutliplayer shooter fad dying down. Devs can't continue to get away with copy/paste annual "updates" and expect huge sales until the end of time...can they?

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#24 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

SW__Troll

3D platformers definitely, but 2D platformers have made a huge return this generation, and surprisingly I would say the majority of them are PC titles now.

But all the consoles have a fair share of them.

Yeah, but I have the impression that most of these new 2D platformers are download titles and therefore rather meager in terms of content, not to mention that a lof of platformers are actually reboots of the old 2D games of old series, and often reek a bit of a cheap way of cashing in on nostalgia. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a prime example of this. There are exceptions, like Super Meat Boy, but despite the rather rich offering, it still doesn't feel like in the glory days of platformers.

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SW__Troll

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

Bigboi500

As someone else pointed out, I'm also mainly referring to the military mutliplayer shooter fad dying down. Devs can't continue to get away with copy/paste annual "updates" and expect huge sales until the end of time...can they?

At one point it was WW2

Now it's Modern

It's not impossible for a new theme to take over the FPS genre, and we'd still be right in the same position we are now.

xxxLUGZxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 xxxLUGZxxx
Member since 2011 • 511 Posts

Let's just hope it evolves. I mean, look at the old Quake type games...absolutely horrible to watch. That's how we'll be looking at CoD and BF in 10 years if the genre continues to evolve.

I personally prefer 3rd person shooters. I feel more involved in the game, and more immersed. First person does nothing for in terms of immersion.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

SW__Troll

At one point it was WW2

Now it's Modern

It's not impossible for a new theme to take over the FPS genre, and we'd still be right in the same position we are now.

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing some futuristic non-alien themes in the genre.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

Bigboi500
Money, casual gamers who don't give a damn, and fanboism>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a couple hundred professional opinions
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bigboi500

Let's just hope it evolves. I mean, look at the old Quake type games...absolutely horrible to watch. That's how we'll be looking at CoD and BF in 10 years if the genre continues to evolve.

I personally prefer 3rd person shooters. I feel more involved in the game, and more immersed. First person does nothing for in terms of immersion.

xxxLUGZxxx

I agree. Love me some tps games. Not sure why but they seem to make all the difference for me.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts
I wish it'd hurry up and die. Im sick of em >.simomate
That is your choice! Everyone has their favorite genres!!
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

Bigboi500

Point n click mysteries? :P

I think it would be easier the popularization of Turn Based Strategy games :P

jerkface96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jerkface96
Member since 2005 • 9189 Posts

Theyll never die, theres always going to be a big group of people that like to Kill things with guns in the first person.

There might be less of them coming out, but Im sure the franchises will be narrowed down.

Im guessing MW3 will go the route of other activison games such as Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk with in a couple years.

But there are still great looking fps gameas coming out like Syndicate.

Avatar image for WithoutGraceXII
WithoutGraceXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 WithoutGraceXII
Member since 2007 • 1797 Posts
Wait for the day one sales of mw3, I don't think the fad is ending anytime soon.
ZerglingZagar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ZerglingZagar
Member since 2010 • 250 Posts

The year is 2016 activision releases its latest game: Call of Duty Future Warfare 3 after only selling 10000 copies in the first 3 months activision finally ends the series. Days after Konami releases Gradius VI which blows every gamers mind and side scrollers take back the main stage for the next 7 years.

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SW__Troll

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]As someone else pointed out, I'm also mainly referring to the military mutliplayer shooter fad dying down. Devs can't continue to get away with copy/paste annual "updates" and expect huge sales until the end of time...can they?

Bigboi500

At one point it was WW2

Now it's Modern

I don't see how that'd change much at all from the current formula for shooters, so if you hate modern warfare then you'd also hate 'future-warfare where guns still exist, and we're still fighting humans in other cities'.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
"Modern Warfare" casual-oriented FPS games? Definitely. General FPS games? Lol, no. FPS games have been around in the mainstream for 18 years, and when it makes a jump forwards (or sideways, in the cases of Halo and Call of Duty) then it surges with popularity and inspires copycats. We just need another ground-breaking game to push the genre forwards. Or inspire another generation of copycats.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

At one point it was WW2

Now it's Modern

SW__Troll

I don't see how that'd change much at all from the current formula for shooters, so if you hate modern warfare then you'd also hate 'future-warfare where guns still exist, and we're still fighting humans in other cities'.

Well maybe it won't be done by Activision, and maybe it would be a deep-developed, well thought out game. I'm all for genuine efforts that have a lot of passion put in it. Games made by devs that aren't big-business, bottom line, comercially mainstream, factory pumped out annual rehashes would be welcomed, but hightly unlikely in this sad day and age.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts
hmm no i dont think so until there's 4d. were stuck with fps until then. sidescrollers died because of change to 3d. so...
SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SW__Troll

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing some futuristic non-alien themes in the genre.

Bigboi500

Well maybe it won't be done by Activision, and maybe it would be a deep-developed, well thought out game. I'm all for genuine efforts that have a lot of passion put in it. Games made by devs that aren't big-business, bottom line, comercially mainstream, factory pumped out annual rehashes would be welcomed, but hightly unlikely in this sad day and age.

There are plenty of FPS games that aren't as you describe them.

Most games in general fit the description.

I would hardly call this a "sad day and age"

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
no, gamespot just cant hit the mark thats all... fps will NEVER die.
sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts
no, gamespot just cant hit the mark thats all... fps will NEVER die.campzor
right, until 4D.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

SW__Troll

A little off-topic because it's a tps game, I thought it was indeed a sad day when I saw Nate Drake advertising for Subway and holding their product. I think I'll outright cry a river if I ever see Mario doing a Home Depot commercial and holding a product for advertisement. :(

dRuGGeRnaUt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dRuGGeRnaUt
Member since 2006 • 1637 Posts
Yeah, just like the sports games genre and rpgs. They'll die and disappear. /end sarcasm - Just an observation, why is it everytime there is a FPS hate thread, its always populated with people that have Nintendo mascots or japanese made game characters for avatars? It's well known FPS isn't the biggest genre in japan.. I just wonder if there is a connection. I know this isnt always the case, but still, its kind of funny. - Personally, there are many games and genres I can't stand.. however I would never wish for them to fail. But I guess this is the world today "if I dont like it, it sucks and shouldn't exist". Awesome... just... awesome. - PS: sorry, just noticed this is system wars, so: "I HATE (fill in game name/genre) AND I WANT IT AND ALL ITS FANS TO FAIL, ESPECIALLY NINTENDO" XD /joke
commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Because we all know what flops on GameSpot is representative of the real world, right?

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#45 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

If no one noticed... the third person action-adventure/ shooter seems to be the new up and comer....

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SW__Troll

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Well maybe it won't be done by Activision, and maybe it would be a deep-developed, well thought out game. I'm all for genuine efforts that have a lot of passion put in it. Games made by devs that aren't big-business, bottom line, comercially mainstream, factory pumped out annual rehashes would be welcomed, but hightly unlikely in this sad day and age.

Bigboi500

A little off-topic because it's a tps game, I thought it was indeed a sad day when I saw Nate Drake advertising for Subway and holding their product. I think I'll outright cry a river if I ever see Mario doing a Home Depot commercial and holding a product for advertisement. :(

Ok, but Uncharted is about as mainstream as you can get, so I'm not sure why it's surprising.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11797 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

SW__Troll

Ok, but Uncharted is about as mainstream as you can get, so I'm not sure why it's surprising.

That's console marketing for yah *looks at SC2 campaign* oh dang pretty cool plane though

Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#48 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts
because AA are terrible scores and sales don't mater to developers
Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts

madsnakehhh
Kinect
26whitewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 26whitewolf
Member since 2011 • 323 Posts
keep dreaming about that.