Is Sony pulling wool over our eyes?

• 133 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I know 99.9% of people here are going to violently disagree with me but I don't care.

The thesis is: IS SONY TRYING TO ARTIFICIALLY COMPENSATE LACK OF THEIR OWN GAMES WITH MARKETING DEALS AND EXCLUSIVE DLCS AS TO SEEM A POWERHOUSE ON THE MARKET?

I firmly believe so and there are some indications of it being the case, even if nothing is really stonewall. Let's look no further than at E3 where Microsoft has both tangible upcoming titles releasing this year with Halo, Forza, Tomb Raider, Fable, and potentially Crackdown / Scalebound as well as some titles coming early 2016 like Quantum Break and if they slip, then Crackdown / Scalebound, plus Gears for slightly later on. Then there's the matter of other studios and some teased but otherwise announced new IPs. I'm not saying that it is an amazing lineup of games or anything (as a matter of fact these games might not be everyone's cup of tea), just merely stating the facts plus some educated guesses.

Then we can take a look at Sony and if we take only retail AAA games with worldwide appeal that are fully fleshed out at the moment then it's just Uncharted that we know of this far.

With the recent talk of Sony trying to acquire marketing rights for Call of Duty franchise, after having secured the ones for Battlefront and scoring many other exclusive deals before, like DLCs, I'm strongly inclined to say that is their new strategy as of late. First it was indies, not because they cared about indies at all (they don't; no more than any other company), but because they wanted to be in the spotlight and seem "a good guy", and again, trying to compensate their lack of games. Now they switched their efforts from indies to exclusive marketing rights or DLCs.

I don't care if you agree or not - IT HAD TO BE SAID.

Of course if it was Microsoft doing this, and I'd be writing about this, then I'd get standing ovation from thousands of people, but since it's the MESSIAH-ARS of gaming, I'll rather get stoned to death.

Bon soir, regret, à demain, à demain!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

No it didn't

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Jesus, where have you been the last, I dunno, century? Businesses moneyhat, masking something is trying to create a narrative that doesn't exist.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I think they are. They are following the same strategy of marketing their console to a T that Microsoft did with Xbox 360 last generation.

Happily, it seems like the PS4 will still have a lot of quality exclusive content, but... I cannot say I am not disappointed in Sony as a gamer.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Salt_The_Fries

@Blabadon said:

Jesus, where have you been the last, I dunno, century? Businesses moneyhat, masking something is trying to create a narrative that doesn't exist.

It is still considered very much a blasphemy to even have this thought in this head, let alone suggest it out loud in relation to Sony.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: lmao go outside bro, take some time off the internet

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Salt_The_Fries
@charizard1605 said:

I think they are. They are following the same strategy of marketing their console to a T that Microsoft did with Xbox 360 last generation.

Happily, it seems like the PS4 will still have a lot of quality exclusive content, but... I cannot say I am not disappointed in Sony as a gamer.

THANK YOU FOR THIS CONTRIBUTION! FINALLY A SOUND ARGUMENT! I'm not denying Microsoft wasn't doing it last gen - that was exactly the case!

froidnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By froidnite
Member since 2006 • 2294 Posts

The only thing this proves is that this gen has been lacking severely in games. The only PS4 game I own is Bloodborne with nothing else coming out this year that interests me much and I have to wait till next year to possibly even buy an Xbone. Last gen at this point, we not only had more worthwhile exclusives but many new multiplatform IPs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Salt_The_Fries said:
@charizard1605 said:

THANK YOU FOR THIS CONTRIBUTION! FINALLY A SOUND ARGUMENT! I'm not denying Microsoft wasn't doing it last gen - that was exactly the case!

Look, personally, I don't mind a console for having this approach (the PS2 had this same approach, after all), as long as it gets me loads of great games. The Xbox 360 did. The PS4 is.

With all of that said, I can still voice my disappointment- Microsoft dropped the ball with their first party last generation (and hence they fell back on third party games and indies). Sony is doing the same with its first party this generation, and hence it is falling back on third party games and indies this time around.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Salt_The_Fries

I think Sony are trying to be like Protoss in Starcraft but they don't have immediate resources just yet (start slowly but finish massively), so they want to find some reliable way to tide themselves over and then start an offensive with some major titles in farther future, whereas MS is like Terran and Zerg combined, they have immediate resources and they do lots of raids with constant influx of titles in near future.

But what if this strategy of tiding over with marketing rights and DLCs won't take off?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I think Sony are trying to be like Protoss in Starcraft but they don't have immediate resources just yet (start slowly but finish massively), so they want to find some reliable way to tide themselves over and then start an offensive with some major titles in farther future, whereas MS is like Terran and Zerg combined, they have immediate resources and they do lots of raids with constant influx of titles in near future.

But what if this strategy of tiding over with marketing rights and DLCs won't take off?

It's been doing fine for them so far- Watch Dogs and Destiny being the prime examples.

xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

microsoft did the same thing last gen and are still doing it...stop being a fanboy before you say im not a fanboy im just pointing out facts did you make a thread about ms doing the same thing?

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I know 99.9% of people here are going to violently disagree with me but I don't care.

The thesis is: IS SONY TRYING TO ARTIFICIALLY COMPENSATE LACK OF THEIR OWN GAMES WITH MARKETING DEALS AND EXCLUSIVE DLCS AS TO SEEM A POWERHOUSE ON THE MARKET?

I firmly believe so and there are some indications of it being the case, even if nothing is really stonewall. Let's look no further than at E3 where Microsoft has both tangible upcoming titles releasing this year with Halo, Forza, Tomb Raider, Fable, and potentially Crackdown / Scalebound as well as some titles coming early 2016 like Quantum Break and if they slip, then Crackdown / Scalebound, plus Gears for slightly later on. Then there's the matter of other studios and some teased but otherwise announced new IPs. I'm not saying that it is an amazing lineup of games or anything (as a matter of fact these games might not be everyone's cup of tea), just merely stating the facts plus some educated guesses.

Then we can take a look at Sony and if we take only retail AAA games with worldwide appeal that are fully fleshed out at the moment then it's just Uncharted that we know of this far.

With the recent talk of Sony trying to acquire marketing rights for Call of Duty franchise, after having secured the ones for Battlefront and scoring many other exclusive deals before, like DLCs, I'm strongly inclined to say that is their new strategy as of late. First it was indies, not because they cared about indies at all (they don't; no more than any other company), but because they wanted to be in the spotlight and seem "a good guy", and again, trying to compensate their lack of games. Now they switched their efforts from indies to exclusive marketing rights or DLCs.

Of course if it was Microsoft doing this, and I'd be writing about this, then I'd get standing ovation from thousands of people, but since it's the MESSIAH-ARS of gaming, I'll rather get stoned to death.

Loading Video...

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Hype sells. Sony being able to control the message is even better. Its the perfect storm. Sony can show all these games with the PlayStation logo, fans lap it up, sales increase. Without deals like this Destiny and Watchdogs wouldn't have sold as well as they did.

The only part that I'm worried about is if fans lap up the hype and end up with another flop like Destiny and Watchdogs. You can only burn the fanbase so much before they stop jumping into the oven.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

You're such an idiot.. Everyone knows sony is doing this, and that MS did it last gen, and that sony made a living off of it with PS2. It's even talked about regularly on here. Can't believe you think you made some grand realization that needed a thread with some long thought out OP lmao

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

@Slashkice said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Then we can take a look at Sony and if we take only retail AAA games with worldwide appeal that are fully fleshed out at the moment

Needing this many conditions doesn't make a very convincing point.

If we take out all the ps4 sales that were made on Tuesday, Thursday and friday. As well as all ps4s that people bought with a credit card, as well as all ps4s bought by jewish people the ps4 has sold less than the wiiu.

LOL sony in last place!

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

SCE has 14 studios working on PS4 games. E3 2015 will show off alot of exclusives. Edit: I remember everyone complaining on here about the lack of games the first couple years for the PS3. Patience

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#18 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

Hype sells. Sony being able to control the message is even better. Its the perfect storm. Sony can show all these games with the PlayStation logo, fans lap it up, sales increase. Without deals like this Destiny and Watchdogs wouldn't have sold as well as they did.

The only part that I'm worried about is if fans lap up the hype and end up with another flop like Destiny and Watchdogs. You can only burn the fanbase so much before they stop jumping into the oven.

Pretty much this

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

You mean how MS did it?

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Wool? You mean vaseline.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Yep they're completely copying what MS did.

Whats pathetic is the Sony apologists who defend sonys actions this time around yet were on the hate bandwagon when MS did it.

I've seen cows say its a good thing Uncharted 4 was delayed because of all the third party games coming this holiday. Seriously? Its a good thing Sony has zilch this holiday?LOL

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@lostrib said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

No it didn't

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

They can do whatever they want. Until they actually support their shit I'm not buying it. I learned my lesson with the vita. Show me the games or screw off.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

@inb4uall: Yeah, Sony did show UC was coming to Vita 'till they forgot about it. LOL

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

Them pulling the wool over our eyes implies what they're doing is not obvious, it's been extremely obvious the entire time.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

Sony are doing a good job at hiding there poor 1st party with indies and 3rd party deals. Its working well for them.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@xxgunslingerxx said:

microsoft did the same thing last gen and are still doing it...stop being a fanboy before you say im not a fanboy im just pointing out facts did you make a thread about ms doing the same thing?

@Salt_The_Fries said:

He already pointed out that MS did this last gen before you even posted this, try reading the whole thread before posting mate.

You whole basis for calling him a fanboy was bollocks basically because he had already Acknowledged what you accused him of not Acknowledging

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

You mean like Microsoft did last gen? Thank you Captain Obvious but no one is surprised by this. You lems didn't seem to mind last gen when M$ went after COD marketing deals and ignored first party. Difference is Sony actually has first party studios to supplement their 3rd party domination (see Bloodborne as an example). Let the lemming tears continue to flow down your butthurt cheeks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@Chutebox said:

You mean how MS did it?

Try to keep up, and pay attention. You're like the kid in class that asks the same question after it has just been answered.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@RR360DD said:

Yep they're completely copying what MS did.

Whats pathetic is the Sony apologists who defend sonys actions this time around yet were on the hate bandwagon when MS did it.

I've seen cows say its a good thing Uncharted 4 was delayed because of all the third party games coming this holiday. Seriously? Its a good thing Sony has zilch this holiday?LOL

lol, except no one is denying anything drone .

The critical difference between Sony using that strategy this gen vs MS last gen (even tho hysterically they are still doing it which this thread ignores) is that Sony isn't dropping their first party efforts.

That's it!

That is the flaw in this argument for any dumb lem who tries to run with this and make a comparison with what MS did last gen. This tactic alone isn't what people criticized it was that it was ALL MS relied on while putting no effort in to first party except Halo/Forza/Gears.

If we are talking about high quality, high profile exclusives then let me point out that this gen both PS4 and xbone only have 1 AAAE game so far but considering this thread....it's funny that Sony's AAAE is a certified critically acclaimed AAA (93 MC) and is a new IP while MS's AAAE Forza 5 is from their same rehash trio of last generation and is a critically NOT certified AAA (79 MC).

FYI: This thread isn't just about this holiday nor is it a good argument point when it's the same strategy MS used last gen when people got tired of having no games to play all year long year after year.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Salt, now look what you done ya big meanie :P

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

"The thesis is: IS SONY TRYING TO ARTIFICIALLY COMPENSATE LACK OF THEIR OWN GAMES WITH MARKETING DEALS AND EXCLUSIVE DLCS AS TO SEEM A POWERHOUSE ON THE MARKET?"

ROFL microsoft is the one trying to pull that with timed exclusives

"I don't care if you agree or not - IT HAD TO BE SAID."

Yeah sure, delusional lem making a sony butthurt thread, what else is new?

"I know 99.9% of people here are going to violently disagree with me but I don't care."

That's because 99.9% (according to you) are not salty lems.

"Of course if it was Microsoft doing this, and I'd be writing about this, then I'd get standing ovation from thousands of people"

But if it was microsoft doing this, you would be writing about this, but to make excuses for microsoft and why it would be fair game.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

-rolls eyes-

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Up until now, I'd say you're right. Whether or not Sony is going to stay in this direction is hard to say. It's one of the things I'll be paying close attention to E3 for this year.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45102 Posts

When are you going to start complaining about Xbox's lack of games?

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

The thesis is: IS SONY TRYING TO ARTIFICIALLY COMPENSATE LACK OF THEIR OWN GAMESWITH MARKETING DEALS AND EXCLUSIVE DLCS AS TO SEEM A POWERHOUSE ON THE MARKET?

I firmly believe so and there are some indications of it being the case, even if nothing is really stonewall. Let's look no further than at E3 where Microsoft has both tangible upcoming titles releasing this year with Halo, Forza, Tomb Raider....

I have a question for you TC, when exactly did MS ever STOP doing that? But wait, there's more...

lol, what is this thread about again?

Of right, a fanboy apologist thread trying to paint one company doing something as a bad thing when another company is doing the same thing but they are being praised because, "reasons".

The only thing this thread reveals is how rose tented your fanboys glasses are TC, nothing more.

It's weird how his tactic has never been a negative for lems before now, but lets not forget, it's a strategy that MS has never dropped and in this thread that fact seems to be conveniently left out.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Well what happened is, MS threw away their playbook from last gen and Sony walked by the bin like "what's this? Make a console that's easy to develop for, cheaper & has more power, market third party games as our own exclusives and sell tons of consoles. What a simple but yet genius plan. Thank you MS".

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

LOL the entire premise of this thread is TC assuming what companies will do at E3 to coincide with his biases. Hahahahaha

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Both are on the same wagon, other than a couple of good games the rest is pretty much trash, both are being riding the third party and/or remasters to compensate for the lack of games; and those "deals" are pretty lame, oh wow ! 60 bucks COD Ghosts hardened edition ! Gee, thanks MS, when you can get the physical copy, wristband, season pass, steelbook for 50 ( just to mention one of those "deals" )

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By playharderfool

@LJS9502_basic said:

LOL the entire premise of this thread is TC assuming what companies will do at E3 to coincide with his biases. Hahahahaha

No, that's not it.

The games he mentioned has little to do with the narrative of his thread. His argument tried to demonize Sony for something that MS is still doing thus the contradiction of his argument.

Fact is Sony has more new and exclusive games coming out, outside of their 3rd party and marketing deals. All the TC is doing is ignoring those games and listing upcoming games for MS while ignoring their 3rd party and marketing deals.

It's shocking that more people can't see that right off the bat. To make it more clear, this thread was a fail as soon as the TC listed Tomb Raider as on of the upcoming exclusives for xbox one while trying to criticize Sony on marketing deals to hide lack of real exclusives.

@raugutcon said:

Both are on the same wagon, other than a couple of good games the rest is pretty much trash, both are being riding the third party and/or remasters to compensate for the lack of games; and those "deals" are pretty lame, oh wow ! 60 bucks COD Ghosts hardened edition ! Gee, thanks MS, when you can get the physical copy, wristband, season pass, steelbook for 50 ( just to mention one of those "deals" )

This ^

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Considering SONY had an unprecedented amount of GOTY's and a perfect 10/10 game, not to mention 2 top 5 GOATS last gen its safe to say SONY is synonymous with world class gaming.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:

Well what happened is, MS threw away their playbook from last gen and Sony walked by the bin like "what's this? Make a console that's easy to develop for, cheaper & has more power, market third party games as our own exclusives and sell tons of consoles. What a simple but yet genius plan. Thank you MS".

Thread,

Musta been some back room deal where Sony said hey, we F'ed up last gen so MS it's your turn to be the F'up this gen. and Nintendo, who the hell knows, they likely weren't invited to the meeting. :P

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Krelian-co

@playharderfool said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

His argument tried to demonize Sony for something that MS is still doing thus the contradiction of his argument.

Nailed it, the irony, bias and fanboy is strong on TC, calling sony because it started doing what microsoft did all gen long and is still doing, but hey "it had to be said"

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

I'm just going to leave this here..just because...

Loading Video...

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By playharderfool
@Krelian-co said:

@playharderfool said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

His argument tried to demonize Sony for something that MS is still doing thus the contradiction of his argument.

Nailed it, the irony, bias and fanboy is strong on TC, calling sony because it started doing what microsoft did all gen long and is still doing, but hey "it had to be said"

Hey, are you as excited for MS's upcoming xbox one exclusive Tomb Raider as I am?

In a Rise of the Tomb Raider FAQ posted to the game's official Tumblr, Crystal Dynamics was asked why Microsoft, Square Enix, or Crystal Dynamics itself didn't say upfront that this was a timed exclusive, and why it used indirect language.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-xbox-exclusivity-announcem/1100-6421890/

This thread is going places, I mean, SONY trying to pull the wool over our eyes that is.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@playharderfool said:
@Krelian-co said:

@playharderfool said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Hey, are you as excited for MS's upcoming xbox one exclusive Tomb Raider as I am?

You mean timed?

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Krelian-co

@playharderfool said:
@Krelian-co said:

@playharderfool said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

no, i am excited for the definitive version of tomb raider on pc, it is a good game after all.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:

Art of War. Use your enemies tactics against them. Now MS is forced to actually invest in first party this gen and Sony has a larger first party development resource than even Nintendo, so Sony will beat them with experience.

In all honesty, MS should have seen this coming a mile away but they were too busy trying to create "the future of entertainment" that they forgot it was the gamer who was going to actually be the buyer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

you mean just like how MS is cutting the price on X1 constantly? yeah, everyone does it. it's called business.

the competing ends when all competitors go out of business. until then, the competition remains fearce, no matter if you are in first position or not. if you start resting on your laurels, you get bitchslapped by the competition pretty fast.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#50 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

Both companies do this. Where the **** have you been?