Is Skyward Sword a good game in your opinion? Will you be getting the HD Remaster?

• 53 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45108 Posts

I never played the original back in the day due to the forced motion controls. I'm looking forward to getting the HD Remaster to give it a go. But something tells me that I just won't like it. Zelda after Majora's Mask got kind of weird. Twilight Princess was cool, but it seemed like Nintendo was running out of ideas. And then they came out with Skyward Sword, which got McShea'd but it seems like for good reason. Clearly, Breath of the Wild was a return to form for the series. So what say you, SW? Is Skyward Sword a good game in your opinion? Will you be getting the HD Remaster?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Ah man, I remember McShea, he was cool.

How are they going to do the motion plus on the remaster?

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11090 Posts

I personally liked it, but it's no Breath of the Wild. It's the style of Zelda I can't go back to anymore. Once was enough.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

It's the only console Zelda I have never played.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Excellent temples but that was about it. I have yet to replay it.

Avatar image for deactivated-60cb3701bc83b
deactivated-60cb3701bc83b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#6 deactivated-60cb3701bc83b
Member since 2018 • 501 Posts

I personally adore it and have both the game and joycons pre-ordered.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

Only zelda game i started and didn't finish. Didn't care for the controls at all.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HalcyonScarlet

@BenjaminBanklin said:

I personally liked it, but it's no Breath of the Wild. It's the style of Zelda I can't go back to anymore. Once was enough.

Does that mean you can't go back to a lot of older Zelda games? That's a lot of classics.

What did you think of the motion plus controls in Skyward Sword? Were they better than the negative way people made them out to be, for you?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#9 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

Most definitely not. I can play that game through other means if I want a remaster.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HalcyonScarlet
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Which version of Twilight Princess did you play? I've collected all of them, but haven't got around to it yet. The HD Remaster looks incredible I think. I saw a video on the different textures.

What did you think about Wind Waker?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

Good game in general but as a Zelda game it was probably one of the weaker ones. I have the original game still but never did finish it. I think I got pretty far though. Will definitely be grabbing the Switch version and hopefully this time I play through the whole game. 😅

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HalcyonScarlet
@Chutebox said:

Only zelda game i started and didn't finish. Didn't care for the controls at all.

Which Zelda outside of Breath of the Wild do you like the most?

For me Ocarina of Time was amazing, just because I was very young and it came accross as quite magical at that age. The music, the art style, everything nailed it for me at that time.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NathanDrakeSwag

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Which version of Twilight Princess did you play? I've collected all of them, but haven't got around to it yet. The HD Remaster looks incredible I think. I saw a video on the different textures.

The Wii version. I never owned a WiiU.

Wind Waker is one of my favorites. I loved the pirate theme and sailing around. The art style stands the test of time too.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Chutebox said:

For me Ocarina of Time was amazing, just because I was very young and it came accross as quite magical at that age. The music, the art style, everything nailed it for me at that time.

The OG! The nostalgia is too much.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HalcyonScarlet

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Wind Waker is one of my favorites. I loved the pirate theme and sailing around. The art style stands the test of time too.

Is TP among the list of good to great Zelda's in your opinion? What did you think of Majora's Mask?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@Chutebox said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Chutebox said:

The OG! The nostalgia is too much.

The NES one? That's hardcore dude. :-P

Is it as hard as it looks? The furthest back I've gone is the Gameboy one, Links Awakening.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BenjaminBanklin

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Does that mean you can't go back to a lot of older Zelda games? That's a lot of classics.

What did you think of the motion plus controls in Skyward Sword? Were they better than the negative way people made them out to be, for you?

Yeah. The exploration in Breath of the Wild was a revelation for me. I don't care if it was at the expense of the typical Zelda dungeons. Even though there's still a progression system in place, it's the freest single-player game I ever played.

About Skyward Sword, I didn't mind the motion controls. They worked well enough on my end and the gameplay is pretty flexible enough to where they're not a problem, unless you just had a faulty Wiimote or something.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NathanDrakeSwag

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Is TP among the list of good to great Zelda's in your opinion? What did you think of Majora's Mask?

I wasn't big on Majora's Mask. I hated the time limit feature.

My top 3 Zelda's are Ocarina, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Worst Zelda game in my opinion.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

HD remaster? Or just a port?

And Breath of the Wild is shit. Another tower climbing scavenger hunting Assasshole's Creed wannabe full of enough fetch quests and tedious shit to ensure you get bored of playing before you complete the story.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HalcyonScarlet

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

I wasn't big on Majora's Mask. I hated the time limit feature.

My top 3 Zelda's are Ocarina, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

Oh cool. Yeah the time limit feature irritated me because I want to collect everything and if I remember there's something like 15 fairys in a dungeon and it resets when you reset the clock I think.

I think I'll definately try out WW soon. I've heard so much good stuff about it.

Did you play any of the handheld ones? Did you finish the NES ones?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

First Zelda game releasing in 60fps in a long time, if ever?

Dunno if that'll make the game better though.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HalcyonScarlet
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Yeah. The exploration in Breath of the Wild was a revelation for me. I don't care if it was at the expense of the typical Zelda dungeons. Even though there's still a progression system in place, it's the freest single-player game I ever played.

About Skyward Sword, I didn't mind the motion controls. They worked well enough on my end and the gameplay is pretty flexible enough to where they're not a problem, unless you just had a faulty Wiimote or something.

They put a lot of care into the environment of BoTW. There's this guy on YouTube called Zelda theory I think, and he spoke a lot about the ancient statues and architecture in the game and how it might link to some of the previous games or time lines.

I wonder how they'd translate the WM+ controls to the Switch.

Did you play the older Zelda's? Nes, handhelds etc?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i finished skyward sword on the wii. it was great but the controls were a bit frustrating at times.

ummm.. not the best zelda. i like it better than twilight princess. but i think ocarina/majora/windwaker are better.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

I thought it had potential to be great, but Nintendo dropped the ball by making L:ink follower, Fi, treat him like he just jumped off the short bus. She treated Link like a complete idiot not capable of breathing without her telling him how to. There's also the controls which had a massive learning curve which took me over 10 hours to finally perfect.....

It had other problems that are personal issues for me like:

1. No dynamic light and day transitions

2. The world outside of Skyloft felt empty. I mean, all that sky, but nothing of much interest to visit. Also the case for the overworld underneath the clouds.

3. Link needing to constantly stop and show what rupee (or items in general) he just picked up every time the game is reset.

I'm sure there's more but it's been forever since I played it. I might pull it out and give it another go...

I'll be honest, I LIKED Skyward Sword, especially the concept of what they were trying to do. But the direction Nintendo decided to take with the game brought it down....

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

if they upgrade it to skip through the unbearable dialog I might consider it

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

Skyward Sword to me in terms of controls was ok, in terms of story was great but in terms of world exploring (or as a Zelda game) was suffocating. It's the only modern Zelda that I played only once. But I could see myself playing it again.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#28 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Nintendo will be expecting full price either way.

They can get fucked.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#29 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

I enjoyed the game when it came out, I’m going to revisit it with the remaster. It’s been long enough and it would benefit from a remaster in HD.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

The controls made the rest of the game meaningless. The forced motion controls ruined me on the game and Nintendo for years. I even skipped Wii-U because of it after they stated the Wii-mote would play a big role with the system. I won't touch the remaster with a 10 ft pole.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BenjaminBanklin

@HalcyonScarlet said:

They put a lot of care into the environment of BoTW. There's this guy on YouTube called Zelda theory I think, and he spoke a lot about the ancient statues and architecture in the game and how it might link to some of the previous games or time lines.

So many of Breath of the Wild's mechanics just clicked for me. The map system, the climbing, the cooking, the combat. It's very atypical of a Nintendo game. I know a lot of people didn't care for the weapon break system, but I liked the agency it brought to the game. Plus, doing all the trials was rewarding since you knew it helped toward upgrading your stamina and life.

I've played all the console ones, and then I played the remake of Link's Awakening on Switch. For me, BotW is like the GTA III of the series where it elevates the IP in another direction. I don't care what the ultra purists say. It's the most successful entry of the Zelda franchise for a reason.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I remember it being a lot less fun than Twilight Princess. At this point its been so long I don't remember much of the details.

It's quite possible I will get the remaster just to see. If it's not much of an improvement in terms of controls I will skip it. I can still play it on the Wii U if I want to.

I'm going to stop giving Nintendo money if they continue to half-ass their remasters (looking at you, Super Mario 3D All Stars).

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

It's a good game. Most of the complaints you've heard are true, but the core gameplay loop that makes all the other games fun is still there.

The controls can wig out once in a while, there is more backtracking than usual, and there is a boss fight that kinda sucks and repeats a few times. But gameplay is fun, story is pretty good, and some of the best dungeons in the whole series are in this game.

I probably won't get the remaster, but if you haven't played the game before and are in the mood for an OoT style Zelda, it would be worth checking out.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6865 Posts

Already pre-ordered it and it will be my first time playing it.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#35  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

Of course it's a good game. It just falls short by Zelda standards. But by the standards of other action-adventures, it's still better than most other games in the genre.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

No and no. It’s really the only Zelda game that I’ve played and thought it was bad.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61484 Posts

I only played the first couple of hours and gave up. I'll pick it up on Switch for a romp, but I know it doesn't really hold up to the best in the series.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45108 Posts

Some of you are making me reconsider my purchase lol.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Its Dark Soul 2 of the souls games. No, scratch that. Its Code Vein of the Souls genre. oof.

Avatar image for deactivated-60cb3701bc83b
deactivated-60cb3701bc83b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 deactivated-60cb3701bc83b
Member since 2018 • 501 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

If it interests you then I say go for it. I personally thought it was a great game despite its issues and have replayed it a few times since launch.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#41 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

What can we say, you have bad taste in games. 😋

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

This was the weirdest pick for a remaster that ive ever seen...was anyone like rooting for this one to get a remaster?

I was like alright a zelda wait that one?!! I thought ppl didnt like that one i was shocked and confused. I wanted ocarina of time twilight princess or windwaker we got skyward sword.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Skyward Sword was a waste IMO. It's the origin story, the first Link, first Zelda, before Ganon, before Zoras and Gorons and all those creatures even existed. Before there was a Hyrule, before the master sword. And they wasted it on half-assed late-release title locked behind special hardware.

Nintendo, you screwed up. This game would have to have some bosses redesigned, some parts of the story improved, and traditional gameplay mechanics implemented. None of the motion control crap.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#44 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15916 Posts

No. Game is such a let down when you consider Okami (and to lesser degree Zelda Twilight Princess) few years earlier absolutely perfected the Zelda formula. The nunchuck controls sucks but what is worst is the excessive padding. Its even worst than the absolutely waste of time tri force shard quest in Wind Waker.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

No. I really do not like skyward sword at all.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 HalcyonScarlet

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

So many of Breath of the Wild's mechanics just clicked for me. The map system, the climbing, the cooking, the combat. It's very atypical of a Nintendo game. I know a lot of people didn't care for the weapon break system, but I liked the agency it brought to the game. Plus, doing all the trials was rewarding since you knew it helped toward upgrading your stamina and life.

I've played all the console ones, and then I played the remake of Link's Awakening on Switch. For me, BotW is like the GTA III of the series where it elevates the IP in another direction. I don't care what the ultra purists say. It's the most successful entry of the Zelda franchise for a reason.

Do you think there's room for Nintendo to release both types of Zelda games, the old linear style and and the new free style of BoTW?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

There was good stuff in there, but the bad outweigh the good. It was slow, annoying, uninteresting, dissapointing, wonky.. There was just way too much bullshit in the game to go through to get to something good.

It's the only Zelda game I've played that I haven't finished, and I have no desire to try again unless they change a shitload of things. And Nintendo aren't going to do that.

Some things they could do to make the game enjoyable:

• Make the sword fairy stfu. And why does she sound like a computer? Actually, just remove her. She really sucks as a character.
  • Remove dowsing. It sucks.
  • Give you the description of items you pick up ONLY ONCE, god damn it.
  • Add an overworld in the sky that's not just small platforms (think Wind Waker islands). It would add much needed exploration which the game was otherwise devoid of.
  • Was it really necessarry for the game to continously beep when your health is low? Yes? And the wiimote has to beep too? Alright then. Not annoying at all.. I remember when I had low health for about 20 minutes. Was fun bleeding through my ears.
  • Actually, the game is filled with these annoyances. Why bother fixing it, it's useless.
Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

Twighlight Princess was the last zelda game I played before stopping. Windwaker is my favourite.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#49 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

for me, personally, I enjoyed it a lot. The motion control didn't bother me at all, and it was actually fun. Of course, if compared to other Zelda games, it comes down a little short, but it was enjoyable

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@SolidGame_basic

I wouldn't listen to all of these naysayers. It's an excellent game.

Your Mindset Before You Play:

1. This game is designed to explore all of the different possibilities of motion controls, and the game is basically a massive puzzle based on those controls.

2. Do not expect a lot of exploration. The game is focused and linear.

3. Combat is plenty, but most battles incorporate the motion controls, smaller battles, and more emphasis on sword play than anything else.

4. There are a lot of revisits to the same areas, but each instance is new. Do not expect a huge number of varied environments like Twilight Princess or Breath of the Wild had. But, there is enough variation that the repeat visits do not make it feel ridiculous.

Pros:

1. If you like motion controls (which I do), this is the premiere example of them. If you don't, good news is you can use the right analog for the remaster. I found the original controls fluid and intuitive, and a lot of fun.

2. Weapon variation is nice and creative.

3. The environmental puzzles are just as intricate and enjoyable as the dungeons themselves.

4. Memorable characters, generally a nice story.

5. Skydiving is always fun.

6. Well designed dungeons and some excellent boss fights.

7. Good weapon upgrade system.

8. Smart enemies.

Cons:

1. There is no traditional open world feel to the game. Skyloft is a hub, the sky around it has a few things to explore but it's small, and the 3 areas below are not connected and not designed for any real exploration.

2. The production value will feel dated (it felt dated then.) There is no voice acting. The cell shading was not as good as Windwaker or Breath of the Wild in terms of style. The graphics are sub-par to Twilight Princess if you're asking me.

3. Repeat visits to the same areas are handled well so you do not get too much deja vu, but more areas would have been better.

4. Repeat plot boss is annoying to have to have virtually the same fight a few times.

5. Dousing sucks (one of those, hot/cold type mechanics to find something.)

6. Too many text walls and hand holding by Fi. It's so different than Breath of the Wild which has almost no hand holding at all, the tutorials here can be a pain and Fi is always reminding you of things.

7. Linear game.

Conclusion

Play it. Too many complainers in here, but hey, it's SW.