Is Microsoft doomed to be second place forever?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

In the 6th generation the xbox finished second.. although a distant second, and in the previous gen, it tied for second place with the PS3

Now it's the 8th generation, and it's looking like things will remain that way.

So..... Is Microsoft happy knowing they will always finish second, i mean it's better then last right? or does it upset them knowing they will never finish at top, and smell the holy grail like Sony and Nintendo has.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I dont think anyone cares.

If gen 7 thought us anything is that only quality games matter for a console, not coming out with the most social/media feature (PS3, when it firs came out), trying to pass your console off as the cheaper HD console (but it really wasnt, 360), or having the most sales but a really flawed fanbase and barely any games (Wii.......... stupid Nintendo).

Doesnt matter who wins.... its who pleased their fanbase and gamers the most.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

I think Microsoft cares more about the profits it has been making with the XBox 360 and XBL. It helped take a huge amount of marketshares from Sony last generation, so I'm sure they are pretty satisfied with their results. They also just had a huge successful launch for the XBox One. Selling more then 4x's what they sold for the XBox 360 in the same time period. The only reason Microsoft finishes 2nd is because it's impossible for them to break into the Japan region. Japanese gamers have never liked American game consoles and never will at this point. If you remove Japan from the equation there would be a huge difference. The PS3 sold like 8 million in Japan and XBox 360 sold like 1.6 million (which is the largest American game console sales for a U.S. product). It's unlikely they will sell that much with the XB1.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Second is the 1st place of loosers :)

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blackace

@Vatusus said:

So all Sony fanboys are losers? Ok. lol!!

Only place that really matters is 1ST.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

why is that so bad?

does first place make it a better system?

did losing last gen make the ps3 any less of a system? did it make the wii the best system?

you guys are all tied up in this winning and losing thing and all it does is make you look like asshats that are not clever enough to have your priorities in the right place.

games are the priority here, i wish sw could remember that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@blackace said:

@Vatusus said:

Sony was 1st two generations in a row, and everything points out it'll be a 3rd. Sony fans are actually winners :P

MrXboxOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 MrXboxOne
Member since 2013 • 799 Posts

@Sweenix said:

In the 6th generation the xbox finished second.. although a distant second, and in the previous gen, it tied for second place with the PS3

So..... Is Microsoft happy knowing they will always finish second, i mean it's better then last right? or does it upset them knowing they will never finish at top, and smell the holy grail like Sony and Nintendo has.

Xbox 360 won its generation. Nintendo and its consoles are always a generation behind so you can never count them. Gamecube/wii are both 6th generation machines released in a 7th generation reality.

next question

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

@blackace said:

I think Microsoft cares more about the profits it has been making with the XBox 360 and XBL. It helped take a huge amount of marketshares from Sony last generation, so I'm sure they are pretty satisfied with their results. They also just had a huge successful launch for the XBox One. Selling more then 4x's what they sold for the XBox 360 in the same time period. The only reason Microsoft finishes 2nd is because it's impossible for them to break into the Japan region. Japanese gamers have never liked American game consoles and never will at this point. If you remove Japan from the equation there would be a huge difference. The PS3 sold like 8 million in Japan and XBox 360 sold like 1.6 million (which is the largest American game console sales for a U.S. product). It's unlikely they will sell that much with the XB1.

It's not just that the 360 didn't sell in Japan, it's that it didn't sell as well anywhere but the US and UK, two regions. MS has to break everywhere bar the UK and US (which seems to be slipping) to ever outsell a PS console, not just Japan.

It'd be nice if the Xbox was making MS profits too but that's looking pretty dubious, there's plenty of evidence around that the Xbox brand is losing money so it's no surprise there's a target over it's head from the MS head honchos as one of the first places alongside Bing to cut to improve the MS bottomline.

Imo i think MS will slip more and more into multimedia rather than games. There's been more intent there for years and an underpowered X1 just confirms it. Their ideal is control of the living room, handheld and PC with seamless multimedia use across Windows 8, not of ruling the gaming world. Far enough too, there's probably more money in that.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

@farrell2k said:

Hold on here. I thought the PS3 outsold it, making the PS3 second place and the 360 third place.

Nope PS3 and xbox 360 sold 80m each

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@Sweenix said:

@farrell2k said:

Hold on here. I thought the PS3 outsold it, making the PS3 second place and the 360 third place.

That still doesn't make 360 second. PS3 numbers were slightly higher and the gap gets larger each week.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Sweenix said:

@farrell2k said:

That still doesn't make 360 second. PS3 numbers were slightly higher and the gap gets larger each week.

dude..be lucky he gave you a tie....ps3 was actually last place last gen.

it was last place for 5 years...and tied xbox on the last year.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

IDK, but the Wii U is doomed to be a distant 3rd.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By clr84651

@blackace said:

@Vatusus said:

Which MS has never achieved. Sony 1st twice so far, Nintendo 1st once, & MS 0.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KBFloYd

@clr84651 said:

@blackace said:

@Vatusus said:

dont forget nintendo bitch slapped sega twice and atari when playstation was in diapers.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

They still have more transistors though, over 5 billion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KBFloYd

@WitIsWisdom said:

@mrxboxone said:

@Sweenix said:

Xbox 360 won its generation. Nintendo and its consoles are always a generation behind so you can never count them. Gamecube/wii are both 6th generation machines released in a 7th generation reality.

next question

nope

even if he is right in his little circle....that means 360 got slapped by a last gen console...even more humiliating.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

@clr84651 said:

IDK, but the Wii U is doomed to be a distant 3rd.

I wouldn't count Nintendo out just yet. Several big titles are coming, and we all know a price drop isn't all that far away. (maybe another year or two) $50 cheaper and another couple years of those Nintendo exclusives and the Wii U will show Nintendo has their shit on lock regardless of how slow things started. Just in the last two months the Wii U has gained a lot of momentum, and that will only keep gaining momentum for at least the next couple years... the games that are set to be released are amazing. At first (like many others) I thought "oh look another Nintendo Wii gimmick console", however, I am impressed with what I have seen recently. I know it is a long shot, but if Nintendo can hit a grand slam with a new IP or two, this could very easily be a three way race which is GREAT to see in my opinion.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

@WitIsWisdom said:

@mrxboxone said:

@Sweenix said:

next question

nope

even if he is right in his little circle....that means 360 got slapped by a last gen console...even more humiliating.

He is wrong, but that is one hell of a point you make... lol

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Sweenix said:

@farrell2k said:

People are still buying those consoles so nope. He nor you controls anything.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

pc is first place every gen so far at GS....

MrXboxOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MrXboxOne
Member since 2013 • 799 Posts

@farrell2k said:

360 is a few million ahead

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

Well they pulled the same move as Sega. They are way ahead of their time as far as going digital as is the Steam Machine which is why Microsoft is and Valve have messed up. The Steam Machine is unfortunately too small which would be too awkward to upgrade. The Xbone has a lot of wasted space under the hood. The Steam Machine being that it's built to disassemble you would think would be less awkward.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Sweenix said:

@farrell2k said:

That's not how it works moron, otherwise Xbox would have been last the gen before aswell, it only outsold the gamecube well after the generation had "finished". If the 360 sold 100 million in the next year it would be first, doesn't matter what happened before that.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27  Edited By Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

@mrxboxone said:

Xbox 360 won its generation.

I know you're just a troll account but the Wii absolutely sold the most consoles during generation 7. No amount of fanboy spin will change that.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@hoosier7 said:

@blackace said:

It's not just that the 360 didn't sell in Japan, it's that it didn't sell as well anywhere but the US and UK, two regions. MS has to break everywhere bar the UK and US (which seems to be slipping) to ever outsell a PS console, not just Japan.

It'd be nice if the Xbox was making MS profits too but that's looking pretty dubious, there's plenty of evidence around that the Xbox brand is losing money so it's no surprise there's a target over it's head from the MS head honchos as one of the first places alongside Bing to cut to improve the MS bottomline.

Imo i think MS will slip more and more into multimedia rather than games. There's been more intent there for years and an underpowered X1 just confirms it. Their ideal is control of the living room, handheld and PC with seamless multimedia use across Windows 8, not of ruling the gaming world. Far enough too, there's probably more money in that.

False. It sold almost 8-9m less than Sony. It sold 1.6 compared to over 9m for the PS3. That's just about the difference when the gen started.

xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

Well, at least microsoft has games. I mean games that aren't knack.

hoplayletsplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hoplayletsplay
Member since 2005 • 983 Posts

MS says they are going to sell 1 billion X1 this generation so maybe they have something hiding in their sleeves?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#31 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

PS3 did come out a year later, so i would say 360 lost to ps3 because they have almost sold as much compared to each other. But i would say they morally won the last gen with the best third party games and taking exclusives away from Sony.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I thought MS was going to win gen 8 until I saw the Xbox one reveal at e3.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I guess they failed their agenda by making the all-in-one box a primary living room console. Still too early to say. Whoever gets to utilize their console the most to their full potential will stay on top with support.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

In terms of games they're last place.

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#35 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts

Microsoft is interested in more than just gaming, your seeing it with the Xbox One, this was their intent all along with the Xbox brand the technology was right in order to carry out their ideas, and they've done pretty well. I think they care more about controlling your living room with an entertainment device to compete with Apple, and Google. Microsoft is playing two markets, and probably cares just as much if not more about the entertainment aspects of it's brand, than games.

I'm not saying Microsoft doesn't care about games, they have some great franchises, down the road I will definitely pick one up because I really like Fable, Gears of War, Halo, and Forza franchises.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clr84651

@KBFloYd said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Sweenix said:

@farrell2k said:

Doesn't matter what it was. It caught the 360. And giving a tie isn't lucky, it's a fact.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Forever is a long time...who knows what the future holds for anyone. Look at history. But as long as a console is viable...it's all good.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 blackace

@Vatusus said:

@blackace said:

@Vatusus said:

Sony was 1st two generations in a row, and everything points out it'll be a 3rd. Sony fans are actually winners :P

It wasn't first last generation. Nintendo has won more generations over all. They are the clear winner in the end. All cows are losers because they act like childish spoiled kids.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@clr84651 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Sweenix said:

Doesn't matter what it was. It caught the 360. And giving a tie isn't lucky, it's a fact.

Well if you want to be technical about last gen...the PS3 caught the 360 while being on the market for one less year. Which means the demand is slightly higher for the Sony console. And when you look at world market share....you can see it wins that as well.

Just be happy you have the console of your choice to play and don't try to get into business discussions based on bias.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blackace

@hoosier7 said:

@blackace said:

It actually sold very well in Europe. I guess you missed the first 4 years when it was well ahead of the PS3. The PS3 played catchup for more of last gen. It sold well in U.K. and Australia as well. the only place it didn't sell well in was Japan really. XBox 360 has been making a profit since 2007. This has been a know fact for awhile. It's funny how many fanboys ignore it. The XB1 isn't underpowered. Fanboys can keep believing that if they want, but the next two E3's and Gamescom's will prove differently. Microsoft won't be leaving the gaming industry anytime soon. As long as they continue to make billions they could easily monopolize the gaming industry, like EA and Activision has been trying to do for so long.

http://www.techspot.com/news/23612-microsoft-makes-tiny-profit-on-xbox-360-hardware.html

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

I honestly feel think they care so long as they make money. By all accounts the xbone will be their most profitable console to date.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

As long as MS are #1 in NA they won't care about anywhere else, trust. Even if they're getting trounced globally. Shareholders will want that box number one on the home ground or else there's going to be some definite rethinks with the division. Let's hope the new CEO finds it worthy because Xbox needs MS a lot more than Microsoft needs Xbox.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Nah, Xbox One will sell better than Ps4. It should be in first place this gen.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 blackace

@clr84651 said:

@blackace said:

@Vatusus said:

Nintendo was first like 3 times. (NES, SNES, Wii). M$ will never be 1st because of Japan basically. Japan will never embrace an American game console. It'll be 1st in the US which is all that matters to Microsoft.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

l think MS will strike deals with cable companies in the UK and US, instead of getting a traditional cable box you get an X1. Game over.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

@Vatusus said:

What the **** is a looser?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#48 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Microsoft is the new Sega. Both were always second place when it came to consoles, but were first place when it came to computers and arcades, respectively.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

@Dire_Weasel said:

@mrxboxone said:

Xbox 360 won its generation.

I know you're just a troll account but the Wii absolutely sold the most consoles during generation 7. No amount of fanboy spin will change that.

But the Wii brand died. The 360 was the most successful console from the Gen 7 because it sold well and catapulted M$ as the one to beat this gen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@blackace said:

@Vatusus said:

@blackace said:

@Vatusus said:

It wasn't first last generation. Nintendo has won more generations over all. They are the clear winner in the end. All cows are losers because they act like childish spoiled kids.

If Sony ends up winning current gen (and everything points out It'll be) then It'll become tied with Nintendo with 3-3. MS is currently at... 0

LOL