Is MGS5 best open world game this generation?

• 144 results
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

Hello,

SO my dear friends, as you know that i have been criticizing MGS5 since its released mainly because of its repetitiveness, however when compare it to any other open world games that released this generation like assassins creed, far cry, GTA, witcher 3 etc. what this game did better that it manage to have excellent gameplay mechanics and that lacks in ubisoft and rockstar games. it released around the time TW3 also released but its better than TW3 in every single way.

of course it doesnot deserve 10/10 and i was very harsh on this game when it was released but after replaying I realized that its not a bad game. certainly not compare to games i mention because those games were soo boring.

I just wish MGS5 would not be fully open world so it wouldnot suffer from repetitiveness.

other than that its certainly best open world game this gen. maybe because others are so damn boring.

what do you think? is it better than open world games of this gen?

discuss

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46288 Posts

Why is a game always the best game ever or total crap to you ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

I don't think so.

MGS5 is a great game for reasons outside of it being an open world game. Truly, the most engaging part of MGS5 is the larger encampments, and tackling these with the numerous tools at your disposal. The whole get in - get out gameplay loop is extremely fun. Except this exists outside of it being an open world game, and I would have preferred if it were a series of open levels rather than a cohesive open world.

On the flip side, Breath of the Wild which is one of my favorite open world games, is fun because of its open world. It uses that open space as a real meaningful part of the gameplay loop. Getting lost and stumbling upon new quests is part of the fun and the game's world is designed in such a way that it gives you just enough visual language to find something, while not explicitly telling you where everything is. This is not only in the climb a tall mountain, survey the area and glide down loop but in the map itself and how interesting areas are not described in blunt markers but in geographic shapes.

MGS5 is an excellent stealth game, but is not a good open world game. Partly because it really doesn't use the open world to do anything other than traversal between the parts that are fun, and scatter the map with side quests that you travel to and from. Breath of the Wild uses its open world, whether people enjoy what the game has to offer or not, it uses open world more progressively than MGS5.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

Nope, Breath of the Wild is pretty much the best open world game ever made. You weirdly left it out. Too little blood?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:

Nope, Breath of the Wild is pretty much the best open world game ever made.

meh. not into kiddy zelda games. used to be when i was young.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

I prefer The Witcher 3 with its DLCs. Its the best openworld game and third best RPG of this generetion (only Bloodborne and Persona 5 beat it).

MGS 5 is excellent in its core gameplay and had strong story moments, but the base building and "online" was a boring mess, and I hated the fact that most of the story gets told through voice recordings. If they made a more linear game with well designed levels, more focused on story and kept the gameplay mechanics as they are, that would be great.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:

its not that MGS5 is best ever. infact its very overrated. but the fact that other open world games are very boring and dull.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Litchie

@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

Ah, too little blood. Got it.

If you like games, it sure must suck to be you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

It doesn't matter. Still a better use of open world than MGS5; art direction or not. :P

Toy Story is still a better film than SAW IV regardless of blood.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

@jumpaction said:

I don't think so.

MGS5 is a great game for reasons outside of it being an open world game. Truly, the most engaging part of MGS5 is the larger encampments, and tackling these with the numerous tools at your disposal. The whole get in - get out gameplay loop is extremely fun. Except this exists outside of it being an open world game, and I would have preferred if it were a series of open levels rather than a cohesive open world.

On the flip side, Breath of the Wild which is one of my favorite open world games, is fun because of its open world. It uses that open space as a real meaningful part of the gameplay loop. Getting lost and stumbling upon new quests is part of the fun and the game's world is designed in such a way that it gives you just enough visual language to find something, while not explicitly telling you where everything is. This is not only in the climb a tall mountain, survey the area and glide down loop but in the map itself and how interesting areas are not described in blunt markers but in geographic shapes.

MGS5 is an excellent stealth game, but is not a good open world game. Partly because it really doesn't use the open world to do anything other than traversal between the parts that are fun, and scatter the map with side quests that you travel to and from. Breath of the Wild uses its open world, whether people enjoy what the game has to offer or not, it uses open world more progressively than MGS5.

I 100% agree about the MGS V part and you just reminded me that I need to buy Switch :)

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ghosts4ever

@jumpaction said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

It doesn't matter. Still a better use of open world than MGS5; art direction or not. :P

Toy story is incredibly overrated.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@ghosts4ever: But my friend, Link is real man and can bat large boulder like baseball, and climb high mountain not like Snake who crawls through hospital for 2 hours.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@BlbecekBobecek: They are both great games, but for different reasons. In some areas, actually, they are great for similar reasons. Both give you a handsome set of tools to mess around with. MGSV has a large pool of equipment than BoTW though. BoTW does give you many creative ways to use your items, and it's fun just experimenting on each enemy type with each tool to see how they'll react. Both are great at the sandbox element of their gameplay.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Litchie
@jumpaction said:

@ghosts4ever: But my friend, Link is real man and can bat large boulder like baseball, and climb high mountain not like Snake who crawls through hospital for 2 hours.

LOL

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46288 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

its not that MGS5 is best ever. infact its very overrated. but the fact that other open world games are very boring and dull.

Oh so it's the best of the most crap genre.

See you always talk in extremes ! xD

slaveknight09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 slaveknight09
Member since 2017 • 119 Posts

So just be cause this is free on PSN, you open up a Metal Gear topic. pfft.. creating a hype duh

It is a great game for what it is. And I don't have any complains whatsoever. Kojima did a great job and we should move on.

This is who we are. We complain cause we missed a part of the game that we are getting used to. But still, I remember in some discussions that MGS games would be a great open world game. Now it is open world, Kojima listens and we complain.. again -_- like people.. wth?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ghosts4ever

@slaveknight09 said:

So just be cause this is free on PSN, you open up a Metal Gear topic. pfft.. creating a hype duh

I dont play on consoles actually. so i dont know nor care.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

Nope. The Open World part of the game(Free Roam) Was the Main reason that the game dragged too long for me(After 80 hours i got to mission 23 because i played it like other open world games)

which in the other words the The Open World Part was the weakest Part of the Game.(If Kojima would have removed the Free Roam,the game would have become much less boring)

GTA 3(Which i played this year) is a much better open world game than MGS V.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I take Zelda over MGS5 anyday, ****** should have made it more streamlined and story oriented, damn Konami, it could have been amazing.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22679 Posts

What I'm about to say isn't just fanboy drivel, or made up nonsense.... I liked the stealth gameplay in mgs5. It was thoughtful and inviting, but breath of the wild sizeable destroyed and is still destroying every single open world game in existence by a nautical mile. There are no other games in the conversation in terms of open world mastery.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@Litchie said:

Nope, Breath of the Wild is pretty much the best open world game ever made. You weirdly left it out. Too little blood?

It's more faux open world...... Like the first Crysis game or Far Cry 2...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@scatteh316: It's nothing at all like the structure of Crysis...

How do you suggest it's a fake open world?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Litchie

@scatteh316 said:
@Litchie said:

So... you haven't played the game? Or did you play it but misunderstood it anyway?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@Litchie said:
@scatteh316 said:
@Litchie said:

So... you haven't played the game? Or did you play it but misunderstood it anyway?

I'm guessing the former, or he read online that the tutorial at the beginning confines you to an area and assumed the whole game is like that. Like Fallout 3 isn't an open world game because of the Vault 101 sequence at the start. :P

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#25 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

No. It's one of the worst games ever made. I only prefer the original open world game

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

@Litchie said:

Not even close. It's not a bad game it's just not a Zelda game. BOTW is the most over hyped game I've ever seen. No dungeons no fishing lack of enemy variation no unique items everything is useless other then cooking no epic boss battles. I could go on and on. I put 50 hours into the game and came away extremely disappointed. After 2 beasts I couldn't bring myself to continue on.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

Prior to Breath of the Wild I probably would have said yes however BotW is a masterpiece and takes that crown.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

No even close, the Mighty Forza Horizon 3 stomps all open world comers and unholy cowzerz, FH4 on X1X , I can't hardly imagine the awesomesauce. :P

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#29 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

better than botw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
@jdc6305 said:
@Litchie said:

Not even close. It's not a bad game it's just not a Zelda game. BOTW is the most over hyped game I've ever seen. No dungeons no fishing lack of enemy variation no unique items everything is useless other then cooking no epic boss battles. I could go on and on. I put 50 hours into the game and came away extremely disappointed. After 2 beasts I couldn't bring myself to continue on.

But if it were like a traditional Zelda game, then it wouldn't qualify as an open world game at all.

The conversation isn't about what is your favorite Zelda game. It's about what is your favorite open world games. :)

P.S. there is fishing in BoTW. A fishing rod isn't the only tool that exists to catch fish. ;)

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Nope it's crap imo, the witcher 3 and BOTW is muuuuch better

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

No, world could be better.

Game is unfinished but gameplay was great.

FCK YOU KONAMI, MGS5 COULD'VE BEEN FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

if by best you mean worst then yeah

it's so bad it's downright insulting.A disgrace to the series

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#34 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Breath of the Wild is. The game you left out in your infinite ignorance.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

That's too bad, because Breath of the Wild is a better open world game than Metal Gear Solid 5, and if you thought MGS5 was the best open world game gen, then BotW default bypasses your claims and is the real best open world game this gen. I figured it out for you, considering you haven't both games.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Best open world game that had one incredibly boring and repetitive map, and another that looked better, but was unfinished and had oddly floating foliage in places lol.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Yes, it is. Well, at least between it and BotW. I've not played more than an hour of Witcher 3, which is likely viewed as in the running by the majority.

@charizard1605: Fight me. I exist only to oppose you :P

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

The Witcher 3 has my vote... Along with Zelda are the two best games of the generation so far.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

**** no. It's MGSV. It's annoying.

Bin it.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

I prefer Witcher 3

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

No. It has the best gameplay for an open world game but everything else about it sucked. The world itself felt more like a really big corridor than a true open world. Especially the canyon part. The story was ass. The boss fights were the worst in the series. The side missions were a waste of time. And the game wasn't finished.

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

It's 2nd best after Zelda. They're pretty similar in their design philosophies actually. Hope more open world games go in the same direction as these two.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@jumpaction said:

I don't think so.

Well said. MGS5 lacked something for me. Games like MGS don't translate well to Open World. I prefer the older MGS games way more plus the lack of dialogue in MGS5 was jarring. I was always a fan of the lengthy cutscenes and the codec messages. MGS5 might just be the only MGS game I beat and never replay.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#44 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

No . Witcher 3

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@jumpaction said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

You need to decide if different opinions as of what is better or not stands in all occassions or only when you see fit.

Personally i prefer a bloody movie ala Saw IV than toy story, which movie is better to watch you think for my taste ? Being cartoony is not his kind of game so it does matter.

You once said something about opinions didnt you ? You remember the lengthy lecturing ? You need go back and review what you were telling me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@AzatiS: That was my opinion.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ghosts4ever

come on my friends, no way witcher 3 is better, not with terrible controlling and combat system.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@jumpaction said:

@AzatiS: That was my opinion.

No , you said it DOESNT MATTER to his opinion and taste of games. Thats not your opinion , thats you going against OPs opinion and taste because you disagree with that.

Its either youll follow your own principles or you should stop lecturing otherwise we talking about hypocrisy here.

nygamespotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nygamespotter
Member since 2016 • 523 Posts

It's one of my favourite games of all time. But I wouldn't call it 'open world'. Or at least, not in the way like GTA is. You have the Mother Base (the hub) and are assigned missions that require you to travel to other locations (worlds). I really like their take on it because I have no idea how a GTA type open world would work with MGS.

@dorog1995 said:

Nope. The Open World part of the game(Free Roam) Was the Main reason that the game dragged too long for me(After 80 hours i got to mission 23 because i played it like other open world games)

which in the other words the The Open World Part was the weakest Part of the Game.(If Kojima would have removed the Free Roam,the game would have become much less boring)

GTA 3(Which i played this year) is a much better open world game than MGS V.

No way. I'm a huge GTA fanboy and even I'll admit MGS V is 100x better than GTA III which has not aged well at all, especially compared Vice City which came the year after and significantly improved its mechanics. Also, MGS V is so critically acclaimed because of its open worlds, not in spite of them. This is exactly what the previous MGS missed. The freedom to take out your enemies however you want in a huge, open space. It's definitely better than any MGS released gameplay wise at least.