blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

I've seen a few benchmarks and results. Intel was always careful of AMD, little did they know mac would come out of nowhere and woop both their asses with the m1 chip. Intel/AMD should be ashamed of themselves. From what I've seen, the m1 is 3 times faster than intels best chips at single thread apps, and does it all at a fraction of the power usage. If Apple cared to release the m1 on the market and not keep it only to their mac, wouldn't Intel and amd both be in deep shit?

I'm honestly amazed and impressed. What took AMD 20 years to do, Apple did in one afternoon.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Lol, no.

gamespot4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gamespot4life
Member since 2007 • 1301 Posts

This is why breeding should be a selective process

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#4 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

Mac has always been better than PC.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45108 Posts
@pc_rocks said:

Why do you care? You're a chromebook gamer.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11281 Posts

Mac is easily superior. more classy, elegant. better design

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

Doesn't Nvidia own ARM now? I think everyone should fear the day they dominate the market for processors as they'll most likely gouge consumers once there's nowhere left to go.

Anyhow, the processor they're using is ARM based, and nothing is stopping PCs from using them either.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

For some people but not for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Better OS, but the M1 lacks instruction sets and relies a lot on emulation, a performance killer.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

@fedor said:

Lol, no.

He's right the M1 chip clobbers amd and intel and makes them look like overheating turds

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Doesn't Nvidia own ARM now? I think everyone should fear the day they dominate the market for processors as they'll most likely gouge consumers once there's nowhere left to go.

Anyhow, the processor they're using is ARM based, and nothing is stopping PCs from using them either.

Not yet. They are still waiting for all interested parties to approve the sale.

ARM is currently open to license by anyone. While Nvidia has committed to keeping it this way, it sure doesn't mean they wont change their mind at some point.

We shall see what this potential sale means for Apple and all the other companies who rely on this technology. I think it kinda sticks because ARM has traditionally been a customer-neutral company.

Perhaps industries will slowly adopt RISC-V as an alternative to ARM-based SoC.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts
@pyro1245 said:
@lamprey263 said:

Not yet. They are still waiting for all interested parties to approve the sale.

ARM is currently open to license by anyone. While Nvidia has committed to keeping it this way, it sure doesn't mean they wont change their mind at some point.

We shall see what this potential sale means for Apple and all the other companies who rely on this technology. I think it kinda sticks because ARM has traditionally been a customer-neutral company.

Perhaps industries will slowly adopt RISC-V as an alternative to ARM-based SoC.

Wouldn't affect them a bit. Apple holds a perpetual license to ARM and I guess so do others. What Nvidia could do though is stop or lower investments in ARM's current IP and create a new IP with their proprietary technology that's backcoopat with ARM but under a different or more expensive license.

No matter what happens, whether this deal go through or not. ARM on PC is inevitable and Nvidia too will have a SoC for that. They already demonstrated a Doom Eternal build running on their ARM SoC at this year's GDC. Rumour is that MS is also working on their on ARM processor.

The only reason Apple was first is because they control their ecosystem completely hence it was easy for them to do so. Not so much for the rest of the PC industry.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1042 Posts

I got a M1 MacBook a month or so ago and I'm glad I did. Was always a PC user but the new M1 Macs are setting a bar for computers. Now I can't say pertaining to gaming, I don't PC game, but if you check out reviews of the M1 flavor, you'll see that it works in such a way that is simply superior to PCs. There's a lot of fuss going on with the M1s right now and for good reason. If Mac wanted to make crazy gaming PCs with the M1, it could. M1 is the future for Mac and I'm glad to be a part of it.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1042 Posts
@Mozelleple112 said:

It's really hard to understand this unless you're there. One of my friends kept telling me he'll never buy a PC again. He owns several Macs and they all work like they did day one of purchase. I'm loving my Mac and will never look back to PC (only use a regular PC for work).

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

I'm not hipster enough to buy Apple products. Twice the price for a fraction of the performance and maybe 1% of the gaming library just so I can sit around and sniff my own farts telling myself I am special? Pass. I'll stick with the system that actually has games, which is Windows or Linux, not Apple.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12954 Posts

@nnoyinghusband said:
@Mozelleple112 said:

It's really hard to understand this unless you're there. One of my friends kept telling me he'll never buy a PC again. He owns several Macs and they all work like they did day one of purchase. I'm loving my Mac and will never look back to PC (only use a regular PC for work).

I went Mac and will never go back. Microsoft Windows blows chunks IMO.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Fedor

@x_hedon said:
@nnoyinghusband said:
@Mozelleple112 said:

I went Mac and will never go back. Microsoft Windows blows chunks IMO.

Why do you hate Xbox's OS?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

For casual use? Yeah, I find Mac easier to use for your average Joe. For gaming? lol.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

Mac has its uses but for just gaming alone, nope. Steam Deck outranks it in terms of gaming.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#23 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts
Loading Video...

Mac is just PC for these people...

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I'm personally not a fan of anything Apple, but even with the M1 I don't think it will make PC gamers jump ship. The absolute Biggest draw of PC gaming is the fact that it's and open market that allows you to do what you want how you want. You get to choose your where you buy software for the cheapest price, what input device you play your software on, your components, display, settings and yes, lighting. All of that is lost on Apple, who's closed platform is focused entirely on making money off of proprietary accessories and locking you into the apple ecosystem. The M1's fast on their closed ecosystem, cool. Still not something I'd go all in for when 5 months ago they had to agreed to pay up to $500 million for intentionally slowing down their products to force their customers to upgrade.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#25 BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Fedor

@zerothehero said:
@fedor said:

Lol, no.

He's right the M1 chip clobbers amd and intel and makes them look like overheating turds

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61484 Posts

I haven't used a Mac since back in college for video editing software. In terms of gaming, then nah, but anything else i'm not sure.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

Well let’s be clear, the M1 chip is a design marvel. But Windows strength and weakness is its legacy support. And unless developers flock to ARM compatible game engines, I don’t see any reason people who prim game will switch over.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

@eoten said:

I'm not hipster enough to buy Apple products. Twice the price for a fraction of the performance and maybe 1% of the gaming library just so I can sit around and sniff my own farts telling myself I am special? Pass. I'll stick with the system that actually has games, which is Windows or Linux, not Apple.

This. Also, lol!

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Lol, no.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

android > apple > mac > PC > Consoles

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@zerothehero: I am right, mac m1 definitely bests Intel and amd. I'll post some benches soon.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#35  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: I think these ARM processors have potential, but they are wasted with the Apple ecosystem. Fuk Apple. Also, it will be a long time before X86 platform is seriously threatened. Another thing to keep in mind is that Intel is finally starting to move to smaller manufacturing processes to go along with architecture changes. So, there will be big gains for Intel in the future. Good on ARM/Nvidia, but seriously... fuk Apple.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts
@davillain- said:

Mac has its uses but for just gaming alone, nope. Steam Deck outranks it in terms of gaming.

It'll never be good at gaming while apple is obsess with releasing yearly OS updates. It plays havoc with compatibility. Developers don't update their games to make them compatible. So some games work with this OS, some games work with that OS.

Honestly apples best bet is to get behind Xcloud for gaming. It'll also suit the lack of GPUs on macs that'll keep up with the job.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HalcyonScarlet
@Juub1990 said:

For casual use? Yeah, I find Mac easier to use for your average Joe. For gaming? lol.

The M1 is better for Music production than the average Intel/AMD CPU, and wont get hot when you push it making it ideal for certain jobs, especially when you don't want fan noise.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12954 Posts

@fedor: I find Windows to be buggy garbage.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Fedor

@x_hedon: Fair enough.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Juub1990
@HalcyonScarlet said:

The M1 is better for Music production than the average Intel/AMD CPU, and wont get hot when you push it making it ideal for certain jobs, especially when you don't want fan noise.

I have the M1. Whisper quiet while everyone else is bitching about fan noise at work.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HalcyonScarlet

@Random_Matt said:

Better OS, but the M1 lacks instruction sets and relies a lot on emulation, a performance killer.

What do you mean? And what is the impact?

As for emulation, it does a damn fine job with Rossetta 2 because it has hardware acceleration to help with that in terms of memory management I think. It runs most intel apps very well in my experience.

Here's an interesting couple of videos to help people understand the M1 if they're curious:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#43 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Not sure what people are talking about with performance. It's comparable to a Ryzen 5 for CPU with maybe a 1080 GPU and is capped at only 16gb RAM. That's not very impressive, especially for gaming.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HalcyonScarlet

@Juub1990 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

I have the M1. Whisper quiet while everyone else is bitching about fan noise at work.

Same, I got the new M1 Mac Mini for Music stuff. I just wanted to not have to worry about running out of CPU in this area and I want the computer to stfu while I'm doing it.

The problem with intel CPUs in the old one I have is that anything other than mild work loads gets it warm and starts to set the fan off.

Intel CPUs are just not suitable for mac designs. What is the point of all that power if you can't use it without setting off fans.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 HalcyonScarlet

@eoten said:

Not sure what people are talking about with performance. It's comparable to a Ryzen 5 for CPU with maybe a 1080 GPU and is capped at only 16gb RAM. That's not very impressive, especially for gaming.

It's GPU is comparable to a 1650Ti I believe and no it's not good for gaming. Mainly because of apples constant OS releases playing havoc with compatibility year on year. I personally think apple are better off supporting Xcloud for gaming.

In terms of other jobs, it's been comparable to i9s in apple computers in certain areas.

As for RAM, these are not the "Pro" models of the apple silicon line up. So they are impressive none the less.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Juub1990
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Same, I got the new M1 Mac Mini for Music stuff. I just wanted to not have to worry about running out of CPU in this area and I want the computer to stfu while I'm doing it.

The problem with intel CPUs in the old one I have is that anything other than mild work loads gets it warm and starts to set the fan off.

Intel CPUs are just not suitable for mac designs. What is the point of all that power if you can't use it without setting off fans.

Oh definitely. Also, we're working remotely and using Teams a lot which is a huge resource hog. I can sometimes hear the fans of my colleague spin during meetings.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

@nnoyinghusband said:

I got a M1 MacBook a month or so ago and I'm glad I did. Was always a PC user but the new M1 Macs are setting a bar for computers. Now I can't say pertaining to gaming, I don't PC game, but if you check out reviews of the M1 flavor, you'll see that it works in such a way that is simply superior to PCs. There's a lot of fuss going on with the M1s right now and for good reason. If Mac wanted to make crazy gaming PCs with the M1, it could. M1 is the future for Mac and I'm glad to be a part of it.

So all these comparisons are automatically mute and void since we don't have any gaming benchmarks to use as a reference. Sure Mac runs a calculator faster. How about, you know, games? oh right, you "don't PC game". Don't you see your own logical flaws in your argument lol

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

So far, what I have understood from Mac fanboys is that Mac is faster than PC... but not in games, since Mac doesn't have them...But it's Ok, since who wants to play games on PC anyway...especially on a forum dedicated to gaming.../sarcasm

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

lol no.

Anyone that uses a Mac is using it for dumb reasons, because that's what they used as a kid and they were therefore indoctrinated to use it (sort of like how people are still religious; it's because their parents were religious), or some stupid reason like "Oh I like how Macs look".

You want to talk about the warranties and support of a Mac/Apple and how good they are, fine, I'll give you that one. But that's it.

@Mozelleple112 said:

I know that's your opinion and all, but could you please quantify that?

How are they superior? Classier? More elegant? Better designed?

All I see when I read this is "I like all the unimportant stuff and appreciate form over function" which just screams vanity, insecurity, and a person who is the opposite of pragmatic.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

@ivangrozny said:

So far, what I have understood from Mac fanboys is that Mac is faster than PC... but not in games, since Mac doesn't have them...But it's Ok, since who wants to play games on PC anyway...especially on a forum dedicated to gaming.../sarcasm

Well, duh. Better to spend 2000 dollars on an overpriced-but-sexy Mac and then buy a console than to spend 1200 dollars building an "ugly" PC that can do both.