Is It Too Late to Join WoW

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Poll Is It Too Late to Join WoW (71 votes)

Yes 32%
No 52%
Only if you haven't played it before. 15%

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2014/08/10/is-it-too-late-to-join-wow-game-scoop

What do you think to late to join?

• 
Consternated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#51 Consternated
Member since 2013 • 848 Posts

You're right, Zelda. The PvE content leading to 90 on WoW is laughable, but the same goes for ARR, too (just maybe slightly less so). Wildstar absolutely destroys both in terms of PvE difficulty leading up to max level.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts
@Consternated said:

You're right, Zelda. The PvE content leading to 90 on WoW is laughable, but the same goes for ARR, too (just maybe slightly less so). Wildstar absolutely destroys both in terms of PvE difficulty leading up to max level.

The amount of people that still fail Titan and Garuda Normal mode is pretty high sadly...

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Zelda187 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Zelda187 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Very saddening gamers assume complexity by default means a better game. As an old hardcore pc gamer who use to play complex intellectual titles (before consoles redesigned them for pop culture youth) even we did would not be as so foolish to make such nonsensical claims.

The problem is that WoW has become so watered down and easy to the point where you feel like you're NEVER being challenged throughout the PvE content. Personally, I don't really give two shits about PvP so if the PvE segment of an MMO isn't engaging to me, then it's basically a waste of time. You aren't getting to the meat and potatoes of WoW's PvP content until you pretty much max out a character anyway.

A Realm Reborn's storyline (including class and company storylines) is also sooooooo much better than anything WoW will ever throw at you.

Also, the class, job and crafting systems are all second to none IMO.

I really don't see where WoW has the upper hand on RR besides PvP content and maybe having a bigger community, which is in part due to WoW being around for a decade and the fact that you need a pretty decent PC to play RR.

sorry, as a FFXIV player myself... you jsut called WoW's end-game easy? and then complimented FFXIV? cmon mate..... the heroic modes are much better than anything on FFXIV and I prefer FFXIV. the only upside is graphics and epic feeling on FF fights... but WoW's are much harder.

Not to mention they are not limited to friggin 8 mans..... 1 hard 8 man dungeon every 6 months is a joke. (but then again so its MoP not having any new content in over a year). Point of the matter is WoW has better questing, better Dailys, better raids ... better PvE all round. and then it has somewhat competant PvP.

I gotta laugh though "Job/class system second to none" wtf really? I LOVE being able to change jobs on the go... I really do... but the classes are incredibly shallow, no ways to custimise them other than adding mandatory other class skills with little choice..... it really is shallow.

Crafting... you have apoint, its a good system, its a shame the market in the game is so godamn terrible and doesn't really support crafting focused gameplay... but what can I say.

I hope Yoshi gets his head screwed on and actually stops babying every damn piece of content in the game on the first expansion.... currently.... its so so shallow.

I never said that WoW's end-game is easy...but the PvE content leading all the way up to lvl 90?

And as far as storyline goes, I never felt engaged in WoW at all.

FF: RR's storyline however feels incredibly engaging and is so well constructed to the point where it would be pleasing in a single player FF release. You actually feel like your character is making a difference and is the savior that the world needs.

WoW's questing is better from a gameplay perspective, far more variation these days, far more cohesive quests that link up.... FFXIV's questing is incredibly stale, but if all it takes is a cutscene to make them better to you then that's your choice... I guess... I personally find the story one of the most forgettable of any FF game and the voice acting kills it dead outright. I liek the concepts of the story, but the execution is pretty lame. hell I would say SWTOR did it better.... but I don't think we are talking about story or quest gameplay here... just pretty anime cutscenes? I'm spot on arn't I....

[quote]Yes, it's incredibly easy. All the way to the point where no strategy or gameplanning is really needed at all. Just stand still and commence the click-fest.[/quote]

..... ..... ..... ..... what I am reading? seriously what the hell am I reading? what is your experience with the game even?

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@fueled-system said:
@Consternated said:

The amount of people that still fail Titan and Garuda Normal mode is pretty high sadly...

Actually that would be hard mode :P

That would be pretty sad if people still wiped constantly on the normal versions.

Hobiron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55 Hobiron
Member since 2014 • 66 Posts

I got nearly 6K hours spent on Guild Wars 2 since release, This game is amazing. Try it instead of WoW.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

I agree with the person who said the thing. The characters and story-line for Realm Reborn, not just in the main quest but almost every aspect from class specific quests to side quests are well defined, thought out with multiple paragraphs of well written dialogue.

Being lowest common denominator style games, World Of Warcraft and Wildstar simply have the player spam click through content in order to reach end game content. Wildstar in particular should be critized, one of the poorest aspects of MMO's is a life-less repetitive world. While the game adds style, the story and characters have no substance, absolutely none.

As primarily a PVE player, who actually wants to engage in the big world created and learn about it, Realm Reborn is easily the best title since Lord Of The Rings: Online, which was primarily aimed at people who could read.

Aiming at people who cannot read, is primarily part of World Of Warcrafts success as well as the attraction of human-beings.

The maturity difference in Realm Reborn and Lord Of The Rings: Online is clear to see. Wonderful times, very jolly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@uninspiredcup said:

I agree with the person who said the thing. The characters and story-line for Realm Reborn, not just in the main quest but almost every aspect from class specific quests to side quests are well defined, thought out with multiple paragraphs of well written dialogue.

Being lowest common denominator style games, World Of Warcraft and Wildstar simply have the player spam click through content in order to reach end game content. Wildstar in particular should be critized, one of the poorest aspects of MMO's is a life-less repetitive world. While the game adds style, the story and characters have no substance, absolutely none.

As primarily a PVE player, who actually wants to engage in the big world created and learn about it, Realm Reborn is easily the best title since Lord Of The Rings: Online, which was primarily aimed at people who could read.

Aiming at people who cannot read, is primarily part of World Of Warcrafts success as well as the attraction of human-beings.

The maturity difference in Realm Reborn and Lord Of The Rings: Online is clear to see. Wonderful times, very jolly.

yup, all those tanks and healers that leave a random roulette.... the majority of duty groups dispand if people don't know tactics or whipe once or twice. super mature. its ok though because of cutscenes....

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Ballroompirate

@MBirdy88 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

yup, all those tanks and healers that leave a random roulette.... the majority of duty groups dispand if people don't know tactics or whipe once or twice. super mature. its ok though because of cutscenes....

Yea cause no one has been doing that in WoW for years....

/end sarcasm

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts
@Zelda187 said:

And as far as storyline goes, I never felt engaged in WoW at all.

FF: RR's storyline however feels incredibly engaging and is so well constructed to the point where it would be pleasing in a single player FF release. You actually feel like your character is making a difference and is the savior that the world needs.

Agreed. Aside from being well written with context, Final Fantasy: Realm Reborn is a game title with an incredibly positive atmosphere.

Whenever a player is engaging in a battle, every single time, a passer by will help. Likewise, criticism in dungeons, guildhiests and PVP is mature and constructive with the majority of players showing patience for the fellow man.

By comparison, a lowest common denominator title such as "World O f Warcraft" it's fairly common for random players to randomly pm other players asking for gold.... because, just.

Other players spout obscenities and general rudeness while in dungeon making the entire experience ugly and negative for everyone involved.

In many ways, Realm Reborn is for the mature minded. Or at a more rudimentary level, the good.

World Of Warcraft preys on troubled teenagers aspirations, nurturing the cultivating the negative nature of culture (by cultivating it).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@Ballroompirate said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

/end sarcasm

he claimed it was more mature.... yet nothing about the game indicates that.

Then again, cut scenes with short dialogues and terrible voice acting seems far worse than stories told through text.... on the maturity scale at least.

Instead we have the FFXIV reddit that instead of talking alot about tactics, stats builds and the like (because the game does its best to appeal to the lowest common denominator by making everything hidden and shallow) we have the fan base posting silly pictures of naked men in houses over and over.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Anyone trying to get into WoW is a couple of years late tbh

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Ballroompirate

@MBirdy88 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

/end sarcasm

he claimed it was more mature.... yet nothing about the game indicates that.

Then again, cut scenes with short dialogues and terrible voice acting seems far worse than stories told through text.... on the maturity scale at least.

Instead we have the FFXIV reddit that instead of talking alot about tactics, stats builds and the like (because the game does its best to appeal to the lowest common denominator by making everything hidden and shallow) we have the fan base posting silly pictures of naked men in houses over and over.

The WoW sub reddit is the same though, in fact no one can claim any MMO's community is mature enough to not be pricks, discuss strats, not dick around/ troll in chat ect ect.

Kuromino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 9

#63 Kuromino  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 1602 Posts

@MBirdy88: We seem to feel the same way about A Realm Reborn. I enjoy playing, but there are a bunch of problems with the game that are starting to make me lose interest. I'm also disappointed with the lack of customization. Cross class skills could definitely use some reworking. We now also have the Novus weapon which allows some customization, but of course, you have that crowd insisting you customize it one way or it's considered garbage. You just know the developers will see those comments and say, "That's why we don't have many customization options." In fact, I think Yoshi-P confirmed that during E3 when asked about adding more armor options and new stats.

Regarding the original question, I don't think it's too late to get into WoW as the community is still active. Shame that with the expansion, more customization options are being removed. Why is this a thing? =(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@Kuromino said:

@MBirdy88: We seem to feel the same way about A Realm Reborn. I enjoy playing, but there are a bunch of problems with the game that are starting to make me lose interest. I'm also disappointed with the lack of customization. Cross class skills could definitely use some reworking. We now also have the Novus weapon which allows some customization, but of course, you have that crowd insisting you customize it one way or it's considered garbage. You just know the developers will see those comments and say, "That's why we don't have many customization options." In fact, I think Yoshi-P confirmed that during E3 when asked about adding more armor options and new stats.

Regarding the original question, I don't think it's too late to get into WoW as the community is still active. Shame that with the expansion, more customization options are being removed. Why is this a thing? =(

everything he says proves he is catering to the lowest common denominator, he cares more about new players than maintain a high quality product for the more loyal fanbase.... wants those re-subs over and over when the next bit of substance less content comes in... I've lost most of my respect for him at this point. Maybe I'm being harsh and its his higher ups that have forced him due to SE's poor financial situation who knows.

Things like "We don't have 24 man raiding content because players find that hard to organise and won't experience it". oh there are plenty of terrible quotes going around at the moment in terms of his future game design.... its a really sad waste of potential.

Every new dungeon and primal since 2.2 has been redundant because he doesn't want new players to have to work for their gear at all.... 3 new dungeons... breeze through them no effort.... nothing has been even remotely close to as hard as AK on release pre-nerf and iLvL limited.

"DPS metres would harm players feelings"

"voice chat so that PC and PS users can communicate is bad because woman might be attacked by men verbally"

"I don't trust the player base with detailed stats and custimsation as they might be confused by it"...

He sthe Nintendo of the MMO world..... light years behind and treating his user base like children.

Its ok according to the white knights though because we get 1 8 man coil every 6 months and all of the previous content is made redundant after 3. yeeesh.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#66 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@rnd_9 said:

@Shielder7 said:

@rnd_9 said:

@Shielder7 said:

@rnd_9 said:

Most new MMO's suck too. Elder Scrolls Online is a disaster. Wildstar is decent but the PVP is a f*cking mess in that game.

Yeah but a lot don't require a subscription fee, you can get into Guild Wars 2 without a monthly charge.l

Guild Wars 2 population is barely existent though. Free to play is the worst thing that can happen to an MMO.

What? are you suggesting FTP hurts MMOs and is Guild Wars 2 was subscription based it would be doing better?

Yes, look at most the FTP MMO's, Guild Wars 2 is dead, Star Wars TOR is barely alive.

So look at all the paid subscription MMO's they're wither dead or were forced to go FTP. I predict ESO will have to go FTP as it's bleeding players.

Exactly how would charging a monthly subscription supposed to help Guild Wars 2? What is the thinking behind this? The games doing bad so you're going to charge more money?

Edit: Oh wait NVM I see I'm arguing with an alt, I thought I was being trolled.